aaharvel
aaharvel Posts: 4,489
edited January 2008 in The Clubhouse
H/K Signature 2.1+235
Jungson MagicBoat II
Revel Performa M-20
Velodyne cht-10 sub
Rega P1 Turntable

"People working at Polk Audio must sit around the office and just laugh their balls off reading many of these comments." -Lush
Post edited by aaharvel on

Comments

• Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited January 2008
    Game ,Set ,Match.:D
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited January 2008
    While I'm sure it's inevitable at some point... a two sentence blurb on some random website isn't quite a reliable source...
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited January 2008
    I think the fat lady is about to sing :cool:
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • Systems
    edited January 2008
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Systems
    edited January 2008
    Datastorm wrote: »
    Okay, so if this is going to end, are all those hd-dvd's going to go down in price or up?
    And will the Toshiba players be sold a blow out prices?
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • daboyz
    daboyz Posts: 5,207
    edited January 2008
    Well, I only got 100 clams invested so not a great loss for me. Toshiba HD-A2 anyone?
  • bobman1235
    edited January 2008
    Also, did we really need a 13th friggin' thread about this?
  • aaharvel
    edited January 2008
    Well it's pretty big news bob. Especially to those of us looking to jump into HD for the first time, but waiting till the format war is over. Sorry if you don't see my pov. BTW, regarding the first link - excellent point, and considering the article is based in the UK, it may or may not reflect what's going on over here, at least at this moment. i'm just passing along what came up under a Google News Search for "HD-DVD" - essentially my primary search method for the past three days. :)

BTW, engadget.com has posted a FULL report on the Blu-Ray CES Press Conference. Lots of useful info and tidbits.

Lionsgate, WARNER, Disney, Sony, Fox, all participated.

blu-ray_press_05.jpg
    H/K Signature 2.1+235
    Jungson MagicBoat II
    Revel Performa M-20
    Velodyne cht-10 sub
    Rega P1 Turntable

"People working at Polk Audio must sit around the office and just laugh their balls off reading many of these comments." -Lush
  • bobman1235
    edited January 2008
    Oh, don't get me wrong Andrew, it is big news to t hose of us who care about it, including me.

However, it's a lot easier to follow big news when it is centralized amongst similar news, rather than spread amongst many threads that only those with no life at all can actually follow.

- Warner Goes Blu-Ray Exclusive
    - The HD-DVD ship is sinking!
    - having second thoughts about going with a HD DVD player over Blu Ray
    - Blu-Ray vs HD-DVD summary
    - The Rumor about HD-DVD demise is greatly...
    - m00npie Productions Inc. drops Blu-ray – Turns to HD-DVD instead (satirical, but still)
    - New Line Cinema abandons HD-DVD (which is really just Warner going to Blu-Ray, since they're the same corporation)
    - Will HD-DVD players be obsolete?

And those are just the first ones I saw with a brief scan. At least TEN threads including this one all started within the past week about the exact same topic. WE GET IT.
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 5,150
    edited January 2008
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    While I'm sure it's inevitable at some point... a two sentence blurb on some random website isn't quite a reliable source...
    The Financial Times article is far from being "a two sentence blurb on some random website". It commands more respect than the Wall Street Journal in most investment circles IMO. For a conservative news channel such as this to come out with such a strong article is news in itself.

I agree though, this information is getting diluted with so many different threads on the topic.
    Alea jacta est!
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,725
    edited January 2008
    For those of you with HD DVD players and media who are unsure of what to do in these tough times, see this thread.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited January 2008
    Also, did we really need a 13th friggin' thread about this?

hell ya! :p

if I were Toshiba, i'd dump HD DVD now.. and cut my losses.. and begin intense research and development in the next generation of hi def DVD. HD-DVD2 or whatever it will be called. Get a huge **** jump on Sony and the rest.. it may still be 10 yrs away, but think how much R&D can take place in that time. So when Blu Ray nears it's life cycle, Toshiba will be poised to return the hit to Blu Ray. :)
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,258
    edited January 2008
    I think that Blu-Ray is good technology, so I'm glad it looks like it is working out. Man, I was just thinking, if Blu-Ray would have failed, Sony would have been cooked with the low sales of the PS3.
  • Polkitup2
    Polkitup2 Posts: 1,621
    edited January 2008
    I hope it is true and puts and end to HD-DVD. What a crappy name anyways.
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited January 2008
    I'm PISSED!!!! I want my money back!!!!!!

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited January 2008
    Oh, don't get me wrong Andrew, it is big news to t hose of us who care about it, including me.

However, it's a lot easier to follow big news when it is centralized amongst similar news, rather than spread amongst many threads that only those with no life at all can actually follow.

- The HD-DVD ship is sinking!
    - having second thoughts about going with a HD DVD player over Blu Ray
    - Blu-Ray vs HD-DVD summary
    - The Rumor about HD-DVD demise is greatly...
    - m00npie Productions Inc. drops Blu-ray – Turns to HD-DVD instead (satirical, but still)
    - New Line Cinema abandons HD-DVD (which is really just Warner going to Blu-Ray, since they're the same corporation)
    - Will HD-DVD players be obsolete?

And those are just the first ones I saw with a brief scan. At least TEN threads including this one all started within the past week about the exact same topic. WE GET IT.

+11 billion to this!

Can one of the mods do a mega merge and merge all those threads together? Something like "WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT BLURAY AND HD DVD"

Like bobman said, they are showing up everywhere.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,725
    edited January 2008
    It doesn't matter, the Blu Ray fanboys will just start more threads....
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited January 2008
    The press releases from CES are pretty telling. I'm not on board with either, I just want a choice to be made so I can take advantage of the technology with some confidence. I think the studio's were waiting the consumers out, hoping to see a trend--but when the numbers were showing signs of a stalemate, they had to make a move. High Definition DVD won't be a fly-by-night technology--it's here to stay, and there's tons of money to be made. Letting this format war go on does no good for anyone.

Everyone knew the risks involved when they jumped on a technology that had competition. This one could have gone either way--just be glad that there appears to be some direction now.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited January 2008
    steveinaz wrote: »

Everyone knew the risks involved when they jumped on a technology that had competition. This one could have gone either way--just be glad that there appears to be some direction now.

Fully agree here; the only thing I have to say is that I DIDN'T THINK THIS WOULD HAPPEN THIS FAST!!!!!!

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • steveinaz
    edited January 2008
    Oh yeah--I'm surprised the studio's waited this long. Think of all the support they still need to ramp-up; video rental store stocking, full-scale production of Discs, advertisement, etc, etc. Sitting at a stalemate makes no one any money. Unlike SACD/DVD-A, there's some real noticable improvement with high definition DVD's that any consumer can see, and your average American is far more into video (home theater) than high-end audio.

The momentum of recent statements alone is probably all it's going to take to draw a clear line in the sand. I'm so convinced, I'm searching down a blu ray player as we speak---and you all know what a cheap **** I am.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited January 2008
    The new Panasonic BD player announced at CES looks like a winner!
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • steveinaz
    edited January 2008
    That's what I'm picking up today. The DMP-BD30K. Heads up Flea Market shoppers, Denon 2910 on the way....LOL
  • millerman 3732
    millerman 3732 Posts: 1,488
    edited January 2008
    steveinaz wrote: »
    That's what I'm picking up today. The DMP-BD30K. Heads up Flea Market shoppers, Denon 2910 on the way....LOL

Keep the Denon for your SD DVD.
    Casey
    H/T: Epson 6500ub
    Sony UBP-X800
    Toshiba HD-XA2 (HD-DVD, CD)
    Onkyo 805 (pre-amp)
    Outlaw 7125
    Polk RTi 10 (bi-amped)
    Polk CSi5 (bi-amped)
    Polk RTi6
    SVS PB 12 plus/2
    Velodyne SMS-1

TV Rig: Samsung 50'' 4k display
    Polk Signa-1 Surround bar
  • steveinaz
    edited January 2008
    Not enough room in my rack, and I'm not that fussy..
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited January 2008
    http://www.crunchgear.com/2008/01/06/ces-2008-samsung-bd-up5500-combo-blu-rayhd-dvd-player-adds-blu-ray-bonus-view-compatibility/

this looks like the player for me.. me like a lot so far from what I've read about it. Next gen combo player from Samsung BD-UP5500

In-store date: Second-half 2008
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited January 2008
    yea, I think we should ask bob before we post anything up about HD-DVD from this point forward. Since I am not on any boards of any of these companies I really don't know what will happen.

Ok with you Bob?

RT1
  • bobman1235
    edited January 2008
    yea, I think we should ask bob before we post anything up about HD-DVD from this point forward. Since I am not on any boards of any of these companies I really don't know what will happen.

Ok with you Bob?

RT1

Don't be an ****, I'm very interested in this topic and it's difficult to follow the conversation when there's ten of them going on at once. At this point people are just cutting and pasting the same comments to six threads at once, it's retarded. Much like your comment.
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited January 2008
    look junior take your advice to Walgreens Lunch Counter, its where you belong. People can post whatever they like, however many times they like.

Take a hike Mr. Bob.

RT1
  • jakelm
    jakelm Posts: 4,081
    edited January 2008
    Cables dont make a difference....

****..wrong thread again..

all these threads are confusing me.....
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    Frankinpolk Center (2 mw6503's with peerless tweeter)
    M10's back surround
    Hafler-200 driving patio Daytons
    Tempest-X 15" DIY sub w/ Rythmik 350A plate amp
    Dayton 12" DVC w/ Rythmik 350a plate amp
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Denon upconvert DVD player
    Jennings Research (vintage and rare)
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

Dont BAN me Bro!!!!:eek:
  • aaharvel
    edited January 2008
    Reel, just as i have the right to start a thread on this issue, Bob also has the right to say it's getting out of hand. I may not agree with him (this is my 2nd thread, and considering the news is easier for fellow posters to see that's why I did what I did), but it's ok. Let's not take this to the level of fanboys on either side. While i'm excited for the outcome, to me it wouldn't matter if the roles were reversed (hddvd shutting down blu-ray). Until recently, I was un-interested in both formats until the war was settled. At least now, I know what to invest my money in and after three years on the fence, trust me when I say it's a HUGE relief.
    H/K Signature 2.1+235
    Jungson MagicBoat II
    Revel Performa M-20
    Velodyne cht-10 sub
    Rega P1 Turntable