being sick sucks

mantis
mantis Posts: 17,185
edited January 2008 in The Clubhouse
Whats up people?
I got a pretty bad head cold on Thursday night and every day it seems to be getting worse. It started out with just a slight sneezing thing then to a leaky nose. Now I have a consistent headache running nose and I'm tired as hell.
I also have cold hands and cold feet but on the urge of sweating everywhere else. It's like a Virus. I don't get sick often but when I do , I GET IT!!!!

Sucks,

Dan
Dan
My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
Post edited by mantis on

Comments

• bigyank
    bigyank Posts: 224
    edited December 2007
    I am one who normally does not get sick and I have had this same type of cold on and off since the middle of November! All I have left is a dry hack I just can't shake!

Yank
    Polk Monitor 7
    Polk Atrium 55
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited December 2007
    My wife and son have the exact same thing. Although it's hit my wife a little harder because now it is down in her chest as well. She smokes so that doesn't help. After talking to the doctor he said it was indeed viral and no anti biotic would help and that she has to let it run its course.

I on the other hand have chapped hands from washing them so much as well as I've been walk around with a bottle of alcohol and constantly wiping down door knobs, refridgerator handles, microwave hands, etc etc etc. So far I have no symptoms and my wife caught it full blast last Wednesday. . . so I may be off the hook.

Give yourself a fast walk around in that cold mid PA air and then take a hot shower, you will be amazed how much better you feel.

Oh btw, the doctor said, two advil (200 mg) then two hours later two Tylenol (500 mg)throughout the day and the usual plenty of fluids.

I hope you feel better soon.
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited December 2007
    bigyank wrote: »
    I am one who normally does not get sick and I have had this same type of cold on and off since the middle of November! All I have left is a dry hack I just can't shake!

Yank

Where is Philly are you from?
  • benblack0000
    benblack0000 Posts: 20
    edited December 2007
    My sympathies, being sick does suck.
    My Rig
    Sony TAE 9000ES Preamp
    Sony TAN 9000ES Amp
    1 pr Polk RTA-15TL (mains)
    1 Polk CS-1000P (center)
    1 pr Klipsch WS-24 (rears)
    Velodyne FSX-12 (sub)
    Kimber ICs
    69" Widescreen Sony VPL-VW60 projection system
  • Rivrrat
    Rivrrat Posts: 2,101
    edited December 2007
    My daughter got some nasty big this weekend and is flat on her back sick.

I'm really hoping I don't get it, since I'm the only one at work right now that does what I do, and I doubt my partner would like to come back from his vacation over that.
    My equipment sig felt inadequate and deleted itself.
  • phipiper10
    phipiper10 Posts: 955
    edited December 2007
    Two weeks of being stuffed up here even with meds...but my wife and both kids got strep.. guess I'm lucky?
    Analog Source: Rega P3-24 Exact 2 w/GT delrin platter & Neo TT-PSU Digital Source: Lumin T2 w/Roon (NUC) DAC: Denafrips Pontus II Phono Preamp: Rega Aria MK3 Preamp: Rogue RP-7 Amp: Pass X150.8 Speakers: Joseph Audio Perspective 2, Audio Physic Tempo Plus Cables: Morrow M4 ICs & Audio Art SC-5 ePlus, Shunyata PCs Misc: Shunyata Hydra Delta D6, VTI rack, GIK acoustic panels
  • bigyank
    edited December 2007
    Where is Philly are you from?

Actually a bit west (Chester County) about 25 miles from the DE/PA boarder.

Yank
    Polk Monitor 7
    Polk Atrium 55
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited December 2007
    Right there with ya. Started feeling crappy on Christmas day and by Thursday was all F'd up. All Ive done this weekend is sleep and watch TV. :mad:
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • avguytx
    avguytx Posts: 1,628
    edited December 2007
    Mine started about 2 weeks ago today and got really bad right before Christmas. But, the weekend before I felt better which was good because I went out of town. Then, last mid-week, it hit me hard again but I actually feel pretty good today. The part I hate MOST is that my ears have been stopped up so all stereo listening doesn't sound worth a ****! My right ear is more clogged now so I keep thinking something is wrong with everything I'm listening to. But, that's just it....it's on everything I listen to!

That's what I hate most about the head/chest cold crap. Harder to enjoy music....but, I still try.
    Richard? Who's your favorite Little Rascal? Alfalfa? Or is it........................Spanky?.................................Sinner.
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited December 2007
    It appears to be going around. Mine started the day after Christmas, but appears to have gone away as of today.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • jmwest1970
    jmwest1970 Posts: 846
    edited December 2007
    My stepson came home from school with a stuffy nose last Friday and now I've got the full blown snot factory and exploding head feeling working. It sucks!
  • mantis
    edited December 2007
    Sorry to hear it's going around. It really stinks. Thanks for the replies.

Dan
    Dan
  • jtgranby
    jtgranby Posts: 887
    edited December 2007
    Just for **** and grins without starting an all out war on mercury:eek:How many of you got a flu shot???

Jim
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited December 2007
    NyQuil is your friend.

Hope you all feel better.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • bigyank
    edited December 2007
    jtgranby wrote: »
    Just for **** and grins without starting an all out war on mercury:eek:How many of you got a flu shot???

Jim

I don't even take aspirin (without my wife's intervention)! I have been taking nighttime "stuff" so she can get some sleep! I pity her, I really do!

Yank
    Polk Monitor 7
    Polk Atrium 55
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited December 2007
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    NyQuil is your friend.

NyQuil at night and Afrin during the day has been working for me.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    edited December 2007
    Been sick (off and on) since early November. It is, indeed, going around.

Everyone in my family has been hit by it. Usually starts with a tickle in the back of the throat, then goes into full on sore throat, light headed thing. A few people developed sniffles too.

Two weeks and it goes away, right? Wrong. This little bug hangs around.

2 weeks after you think its gone it comes back - same symptoms.

Went away and came back again. Went to see the doc. Said the mucus / post nasal drip is the problem.

Over the counter stuff (Dr.'s advice) - Mucinex, Ocean Nasal Spray), Nyquil, Dayquil, and FLUIDS are what it took (for me) to knock it out for good.

Hope you feel better soon Dan :)
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,674
    edited December 2007
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    NyQuil is your friend.

NyQuil is the nectar of the Gods !!

Measuring cup ? The hell with that, pop the top, and bottoms up !!

Sleep ..... ah, sleep ........ wonderful sleep ........ zzzzzzz....... zzzzzzzz....

Lasareath, without trying to sound like Benny Hinn ("Cast them crutches aside, and walk !"), you might try the Nyquil routine without the Apnea breatholator (or whatever they call it).
    Of course, I'm no doctor, but I was in the Navy six years (more familiar with gynecological problems).
    Sal Palooza
  • Serendipity
    Serendipity Posts: 6,975
    edited December 2007
    Been sick here for a long time, but finally got better.
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,335
    edited December 2007
    Get well soon everyone! Drink lots of fluids and get a lot of rest.
    Carl

• schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,335
    edited December 2007
    BTW, each of you owes me $25 for the medical advice.:D;):p

Carl
    Carl

• wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited December 2007
    When I feel sick I like to sweat it out. It always seems to work for me.
    2.gif I can't remember the last time I was sick though.
    Feel better.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,163
    edited December 2007
    I have the same thing. Head cold, sinus pressure, runny nose, constant drainage, etc. It really screws up listening to the rig because my ears are so plugged. I had the same thing around Thanksgiving and it's back. I've had the current cold since X-mas Eve and it just won't go away completely even with anti-biotics (it's much better with medicine).

I hardly ever get sick but when I do it seems to linger for awhile. Haven't had a good listening session for quite some time, not to mention my taste and smell are altered to the point where sometimes food doesn't even sound good.

Being sick just plain sucks and I'm about done with it!!!!!!

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited December 2007
    Dan, if you are sick...be careful with that boxcutter, eh? No need to go losing a finger because you got snot running down nose. :D

J/K man, hope you feel better.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited December 2007
    I had a cold that lasted 3 weeks. I finally got rid of it. We had half our office out sick one week. Feel better everyone.
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited December 2007
    Damn -- you guys are effed up!

Since I became a vegetarian almost 20 years ago, colds have been very mild and infrequent (1x/year), with a typical duration of three days. I'm only mentioning this as a potential long term solution -- not necessarily to encourage vegetarianism, but adopting a healthier diet can help alleviate health problems, including colds and flu.

A couple of other "remedies" -- at the first sign of a cold, use several dropper fulls per day of echinacea/golden seal tincture. You can find it at any health food store. Keep your body temperature as warm as possible. Also, take at least 10,000 milligrams of a high quality Vitamin C.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • hockeyboy
    hockeyboy Posts: 1,428
    edited December 2007
    I boost the vitamin c as well and about 10K a day is what I do when sickness is coming on. I take the Ester C, not the regular C- it seems to work better.
    My Main Gear
    Mitsu HC5000 (Proj.)
    Marantz SR8001 (AVR)
    Sunfire TGA7200 (AMP)
    Marantz DV7001 (SACD)
    Samsung BD-P1500 Blu-Ray
    LSi 15's (Front)
    LSiC (Center)
    LSiFx (Surrounds)
    DUAL SVS 20-39 CS Plus
    (Passive Subs)
    Marantz IS201 I-Pod Dock[/SIZE]
    Panamax M5300EX
    Carada Criterion 106" Brightwhite Screen
    Sunfire TGA 5200 & (4) B&W 605's in the party room
  • Early B.
    edited December 2007
    hockeyboy wrote: »
    I boost the vitamin c as well and about 10K a day is what I do when sickness is coming on. I take the Ester C, not the regular C- it seems to work better.

Cool.

The best Vitamin C on the market right now is Lypo-Spheric Vitamin C. It ain't cheap, but it's based on some kind of nanotechnology. It's good because it's almost 100% bioavailable, which means nearly all of it gets absorbed into your bloodstream as opposed to a typical capsule or tablet where a tiny fraction of the active ingredients are actually absorbed. Google it.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

• mantis
    edited December 2007
    Early B. wrote: »
    Cool.

The best Vitamin C on the market right now is Lypo-Spheric Vitamin C. It ain't cheap, but it's based on some kind of nanotechnology. It's good because it's almost 100% bioavailable, which means nearly all of it gets absorbed into your bloodstream as opposed to a typical capsule or tablet where a tiny fraction of the active ingredients are actually absorbed. Google it.
    I drink Orange juice freshly squeezed. One glass in the moring. I usually don't get sick. Maybe once every 2 years and this is my year.

Troy ,
    Don't worry I called out of work today for that very reason. I need not only cut my finger off but drop a 50 inch plasma on myself.

Dan
    Dan
  • Early B.
    edited December 2007
    mantis wrote: »
    I drink Orange juice freshly squeezed. One glass in the moring.

A glass of OJ has very little Vitamin C. It's best to use supplements daily.