being sick sucks

2»

Comments

• bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited December 2007
    My OJ has 120% of my recommended Vitamin C intake for the day, and I probably drink two glasses worth, plus a multivitamin. How much vitamin C do you recommend exactly?
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,994
    edited December 2007
    I would trade your bad cold for my situation, I've been living on a matress for the past 3 weeks. 3rd time this yr my herniated disks have come back. I was in the TV room on Xmas day while everyone celibrated on another floor. I can't walk more than 5-10 mins, I can't sit for more than 5. I've had my 4th Spinal injection this year. Tonight we will celibrate with me on the air matress on the floor watching movies...and becuse of the meds I take I can't enjoy a drink. I am not trying to one up you colds but just be thankful that's all you have....gotta go lie down...as the pain is starting..
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited December 2007
    I used to drink a LOT of rum and tonic whenever I got a cold. Didn't do much for me but it was fun and I forgot I had a cold. :)
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited December 2007
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    My OJ has 120% of my recommended Vitamin C intake for the day, and I probably drink two glasses worth, plus a multivitamin. How much vitamin C do you recommend exactly?

The Recommended Daily Allowance (RDA) is a joke. Disregard it if you value your health.

Take as much C as you can -- like 10,000 mg/day or more, if you can afford it.

Vitamin C functions more as a hormone than a vitamin and is very effective in high dosages. Don't worry - there's no side effects.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • Early B.
    edited December 2007
    madmax wrote: »
    I used to drink a LOT of rum and tonic whenever I got a cold. Didn't do much for me but it was fun and I forgot I had a cold. :)
    madmax

When I was a kid and had a cold, my father used to give me a southern remedy -- a hit of mint gin and it really helped with the coughing. I found out later in life that some cough medicines have a high alcohol content.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited December 2007
    Typical human absorbtion of Vitamin c is between 200 and 500mg a day. Too much Vitamin C can reduce copper levels in the body (another essential nutrient). It can also increase iron absorbtion (dangerous for some people, even resulting in iron poisoning). Pregnant mothers can give their babies 'rebound scurvy' by taking too much during pregnancy. Too much vitamin c can cause larger insulin spikes in diabetics and people with hypoglycemia.

No side effects?
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited December 2007
    Well I've been taking my vitamins consistently, rubbing alcohol on every door knob, handle, soap pumps, remotes, telephones etc, obsessivly wash my hands so much that they are chapped. . . and after all of that, I'm catching my wife's cold (the doc thinks she may have the flu) as I am achey as hell, my nose is itchy and I'm sneezing and I am getting some signal from down below indicating some brewage!!!

I am going to try to think positively to keep the stress away and maybe I can bounce this one out of my system before it really takes hold.

I forgot to mention that I've been drinking about 3 gallons of water a day along with vitamin C enriched juices.

It just goes to show that all it takes in one of those little viral **** to get past the goalie and you are f#cked.
  • Early B.
    edited December 2007
    RuSsMaN wrote: »
    Typical human absorbtion of Vitamin c is between 200 and 500mg a day. Too much Vitamin C can reduce copper levels in the body (another essential nutrient). It can also increase iron absorbtion (dangerous for some people, even resulting in iron poisoning). Pregnant mothers can give their babies 'rebound scurvy' by taking too much during pregnancy. Too much vitamin c can cause larger insulin spikes in diabetics and people with hypoglycemia.

No side effects?

Get your learn on. Start by reading this book: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1401069630/ref=wl_it_dp?ie=UTF8&coliid=I29HFAADT43IWJ&colid=3ALDHEM2LTMUK

Keep in mind that most of what you read in the mass media about supplements, herbal products, homeopathy, and any form of "medicine" that does not require a doctor's prescription will be met with skepticism by the medical profession for obvious reasons.

To move beyond the BS, you gotta roll up your sleeves and examine the scientific literature, particularly the most recent research studies that have been conducted on the use of Vitamin C in high doses. Not surprisingly, it will provide you with an entirely different perspective.

• hearingimpared
    edited December 2007
    Well what vitamin C did for me this time is to keep the cold off of me for six days since the onset of my wife's cold.

I'm definitely feeling it tonight, slight sinus headache, itchy nose, a sneeze here and there and an occasional bout of body aches but who knows I may have built up my immune system enough that tomorrow I wake up asymptomatic.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited December 2007
    Early B. wrote: »
    Get your learn on.

I did get my 'learn' on, and thumb through some medical journals. I'm not saying a little extra C won't do good, but too much, for the wrong people, is plain wrong - AND it's documented.

How do you feel about mercury poisoning? ;)

Joe, I could package some cat litter dust in a tube, blow it on your tonearm, and tell you it was ground tiger **** from the Shaolin Silver String Submarine Band, and you might hear a difference..... ;)
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • hearingimpared
    edited December 2007
    RuSsMaN wrote: »

Joe, I could package some cat litter dust in a tube, blow it on your tonearm, and tell you it was ground tiger **** from the Shaolin Silver String Submarine Band, and you might hear a difference..... ;)

It would probably make the tonearm too heavy and cause a muddiness in the midrange!:p
  • hockeyboy
    hockeyboy Posts: 1,428
    edited January 2008
    Okay, okay, i will give up this pesky heroin addiction for vitamin c mainlining...
    My Main Gear
    Mitsu HC5000 (Proj.)
    Marantz SR8001 (AVR)
    Sunfire TGA7200 (AMP)
    Marantz DV7001 (SACD)
    Samsung BD-P1500 Blu-Ray
    LSi 15's (Front)
    LSiC (Center)
    LSiFx (Surrounds)
    DUAL SVS 20-39 CS Plus
    (Passive Subs)
    Marantz IS201 I-Pod Dock[/SIZE]
    Panamax M5300EX
    Carada Criterion 106" Brightwhite Screen
    Sunfire TGA 5200 & (4) B&W 605's in the party room
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,982
    edited January 2008
    Yeah being sick SUCKS! 1:00 this afternoon....smokin' tires off my feet, gettin' **** done lickity split. 6:00 can't breathe, nostril is a faucet, head in a vise and feel like crap.

Hell of a way to usher in the New Year. [not]

I've got a date with the pillow early tonight.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • hearingimpared
    edited January 2008
    I got it too!!! I feel like I snorted two lines of freshly crushed black pepper.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited January 2008
    Lasareath wrote: »
    Joe, I've had this cold (flu) since friday night, hacking up flem, fever, sorethroat, headache, sinus congestion. Ohhhh so much fun. this morning I lost my voice too.

It's a shame you haven't lost the dexterity in your fingers. Your co-workers are very happy.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • hearingimpared
    edited January 2008
    Lasareath wrote: »
    Joe, I've had this cold (flu) since friday night, hacking up flem, fever, sorethroat, headache, sinus congestion. Ohhhh so much fun. this morning I lost my voice too.

The first symptom I had was laryngitis three days ago but that passed. Now I have the headache, sinus congestion, runny nose, and I'm itchy. It's a bummer cause I can't take any cold meds except for Humibid because of the other meds I take so I have to deal with the sinus congestion.
  • GSRBOB
    GSRBOB Posts: 172
    edited January 2008
    I'm in the same boat. I'm going to try dosin up on the vitamins and drugs. I just hope the rest of my family can dodge this. Get well soon everybody.
    Onkyo TX-NR801
    Fronts- RTi 10's
    Center- CSi5
    Rear- Coming Soon
    Sub- Velo DPS-10
    Pwr- Monster HTS 3600
    LCD- KDL-40XBR2
  • hearingimpared
    edited January 2008
    I still have it and it is a ****. When does it go away?
  • GSRBOB
    GSRBOB Posts: 172
    edited January 2008
    Its 11 in the mornin. Didnt go to wrk, my head feels like its going to pop. Just took a Mucinex pill. IMO it kicks **** compared to sudafed. I think its the 1200mg of guaifenesin that it has. Sudafed only has like 10 or 20mg of that stuff.
    Onkyo TX-NR801
    Fronts- RTi 10's
    Center- CSi5
    Rear- Coming Soon
    Sub- Velo DPS-10
    Pwr- Monster HTS 3600
    LCD- KDL-40XBR2
  • MrNightly
    MrNightly Posts: 3,370
    edited January 2008
    Knocked me out on Sunday... monday I laid in bed all day... up a little bit today...

My two little girls both caught it over the holiday. My 3 year old, it was the 2nd time in her life to get sick, and for the 1.5 year old, the first time... wife hasn't been sick in 5 years and she was out for three days too! Must be a strong one, this flu going around!

Nasty stuff!
    Honoured to be, an original SOPA founding member
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    SVS PB12-NSD/2 - sub :D:D:D
    Denon 3805
    Rotel RB-985 5-Channel Amplifier

• hearingimpared
    edited January 2008
    MrNightly wrote: »
    Knocked me out on Sunday... monday I laid in bed all day... up a little bit today...

My two little girls both caught it over the holiday. My 3 year old, it was the 2nd time in her life to get sick, and for the 1.5 year old, the first time... wife hasn't been sick in 5 years and she was out for three days too! Must be a strong one, this flu going around!

Nasty stuff!

It is nasty and look at how many people around the entire country that have this same flu. It is scary. My wife is on her 14th day and it still is kicking her behind.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,185
    edited January 2008
    Well guys for the last few days I have felt great. I still have a slight nose thing with I have toblow it from time to time but I feel 200% better.

I have even been working out without getting dizzy which is what happened when I was sick and getting over it.

Dan
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • hearingimpared
    edited January 2008
    mantis wrote: »
    Well guys for the last few days I have felt great. I still have a slight nose thing with I have toblow it from time to time but I feel 200% better.

I have even been working out without getting dizzy which is what happened when I was sick and getting over it.

Dan

How long did it take you to get ride of it?
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,185
    edited January 2008
    Probably about 7 days. sucked every minute of it.

Dan
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.