How's Mazda? I'm thinking about an RX-8.

Comments

• cmy330go
    cmy330go Posts: 2,341
    edited December 2007
    audiobliss wrote: »
    ....But what I'd really like is a Solstice with a carbon fiber body and a LS7 under the hood! :D:D:D:D

I've heard about these conversions somewhere. Seems I remember reading about some shop that was offering full packages to convert a solstice/sky.
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited December 2007
    cmy330go wrote: »
    I've heard about these conversions somewhere. Seems I remember reading about some shop that was offering full packages to convert a solstice/sky.
    :eek:

It'd be a pain to have to do all that yourself inside a modern, cramped body/chassis. But if a shop is doing that...:D:D
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • cmy330go
    edited December 2007
    Ron-P wrote: »
    This car needs to be babied. It requires oil; it requires being warmed up, no cold starting and sudden stopping. It's very subject to flooding. The sales people, 3 of them all made sure I was very aware of these facts......

I'm sorry but those sales guys should be shot!!! Yes a rotary will use a bit of oil, but that's no big deal. Any car should be warmed up before putting your foot in it! That's just common sense. It's just something to be more aware of with the RX, because unlike most cars it will actually rev smoothly to 9,000 RPM. Hence the reason there is actually an audible warning when you hit redline in that car. And I'm sorry....subject to flooding???? It's fuel injected for god sake...I don't get it...Do they feel some need to pump the gas?:rolleyes:

Anyway...I'm not trying to talk you into an RX. It sounds like you had other good reasons to rule it out, and that's cool. I just can't stand stupid salesmen!!!
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,
  • cmy330go
    edited December 2007
    audiobliss wrote: »
    :eek:

It'd be a pain to have to do all that yourself inside a modern, cramped body/chassis. But if a shop is doing that...:D:D

Found it!

[LINK]
    HT

2 CH
  • audiobliss
    edited December 2007
    Sweet, that's actually a really complete conversion. They'll let you do several version of the LS2, naturally aspirated or turbocharged, then the LS7 naturally aspirated or turbocharged.

All for only $20k - $30k.

:D
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited December 2007
    cmy330go wrote: »
    I haven't driven one yet...but I would go check out one of these too.

Volvo C30
    volvoc304moyennexr5.jpg

user10931160022273mg2.jpg
    I test drove a C30 a couple of weeks ago. It is a toss up for me between a GTI and the C30 when I get a new car next summer. The local VW, Porsche, Audi, Jag, Infinity dealer is a customer of mine and I've asked him about the reliabilty of the new GTI. He owes me a fair amount of money so he doesn't BS me too much. He has seen very few problems with the new Jetta, Golf, GTI platforms. That said I really like the C30. I like the looks better. The GTI is a pocket rocket and is all business. The C30 is a little more refined but a blast to drive.

A few more pics.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited December 2007
    My friend has an 2007 GTI and you are absolutely right those cars are pocket rockets and all business. Fast, comfortable, easy to mod and they look nice. Great car for under 25k.
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited December 2007
    I like the GTI and it's on my list of test drives. The C30 though, no thanks, I don't like the way it looks.
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • BaggedLancer
    edited December 2007
    I like the GTI and it's on my list of test drives. The C30 though, no thanks, I don't like the way it looks.

What about the R-32? That is if you don't like the 4 cylinder turbo and would rather have the NA 6 cyl....
  • dohcmark8
    dohcmark8 Posts: 229
    edited December 2007
    The C30 is a nice car. I drove a C30 T5 with a 6 speed yesterday, it was smooth and quick, also had very comfortable seats. Before you designate it ugly and ignore it, go hit up a Volvo dealer and drive one.

I can't recommend a VW... they are not reliable at all for the long term.
  • cmy330go
    edited December 2007
    shack wrote: »
    I test drove a C30 a couple of weeks ago. It is a toss up for me between a GTI and the C30 when I get a new car next summer. The local VW, Porsche, Audi, Jag, Infinity dealer is a customer of mine and I've asked him about the reliabilty of the new GTI. He owes me a fair amount of money so he doesn't BS me too much. He has seen very few problems with the new Jetta, Golf, GTI platforms. That said I really like the C30. I like the looks better. The GTI is a pocket rocket and is all business. The C30 is a little more refined but a blast to drive.

A few more pics.

I just got the wife a new Jetta TDI about 6 months ago, and so far I'm very happy with it. Overall build quality both inside and out are far better than I would expect from a car in this price range. I honestly don't see where it give up much to my old Bimmer as far as refinement. 11k and no issues (fingers crossed). Not too worried though. Like you said...I have heard of very few issues with the current gen VW's.
    HT

2 CH
  • audiobliss
    edited December 2007
    I think VW may be a lot like domestic cars. Had horrible reliability and build quality for a stretch, but are now much better. I've read oodles of good things about fairly new VW's. Dad's 2004 Jetta TDi that he bought used with 60k (:eek:) has given us zero problems. It's been to the dealer a few times about one odd rattle in the dash at a certain rpm, but that's the only thing.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited December 2007

And you liked the Mini? Quite a range of visual appeal you have there Ron.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,806
    edited December 2007
    Here's what I just got back from test driving...

2007 Mitsubishi Eclipse Coupe

6-speed manual, V-6, two door that seats 4...and comfortably. I liked this car. Quite impressive handling, good get up and go with 263 hp under the hood. Roomy inside with decent space and a very clean layout. A bit more of a bubble look then I want but still a very nice, clean sporty look. This jumped to the top of my buy list. Also, a very reliable car as well, just about all solid red dots in Consumer Reports. A great 5 year 50k bumper-to-bumper and 10 year 100k power train warranty.

I'm glad you drove this! I was going to recommend it! I think it looks great, reminds me of the older 3g DSM's when Chrysler and Mitsu were partnering on the Eclipse/Talon/Laser triples and later the Eclipse/Talon. Lotsa power too and well balanced for a small, FWD car. When I drove one, I was very impressed. The salesperson was a girl though and she was going over the doodads and whistles it had. I was like "please dear, just settle down and put your seatbelt on." It was super fun to drive and with better tires it'd have immense amounts of grip closer to what the RX-8 has. I could certainly live with it on a daily basis.

I was looking for a new vehicle myself for a while. I was this >< close to signing papers for that Mitsu but decided to sleep on it. I went back out to the parking lot, got in to my truck and as soon as I turned the key and that big, supercharged V8 thundered to life and set the car alarm off next to me, I realized that I don't really want another car.

So I started looking at used versions of this:

HarleyF150.jpg

I can't get one new since they aren't made anymore and I'm not unloading the Lightning any time soon but that would give me the Lightning's drivetrain in a more versatile body style. Not really a "sporty little car" but it'll blow the doors off even a Porsche Boxster!
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited December 2007
    Ron-P wrote:

I been looking for a new car for a while as my Focus is creeping up on 100K miles and I just wrote my last $7,000 college tuition check for the oldest daughter so it's getting close to time to buy. I have always been a VW fan, especially of the GTI and GLI (owned a Wolfsburg GLI for many years - a GREAT car). Mechanically the new model is right where it needs to be and it has been high on my list. The problem is that I really don't like the looks of the GTI from the B pillar back and the GLI looks worse. When I saw the C30 Volvo it just really looked right to me. We came close to buying my wife a S40 Volvo when she bought her Element and really liked the look, but it wasn't big enough to be used as a family vehicle. I don't really need much of a backseat and like hatchbacks so the C30 has moved to the top of the list.

Everyone has their opinions...but to me the C30 is a great looking car and I really like the looks and shape of the rear hatch/tailights.

I've always liked roadtesting cars! Good luck on your search Ron.

389555071_c5a358f174_b.jpg.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • aaharvel
    aaharvel Posts: 4,489
    edited December 2007
    if you want rear-wheel drive, then the mitsubishi is out. Personally i'd take the rx8 over the z in a heartbeat. More refined, just a better all-around sports car. Horsepower and torque aren't everything (i know, it's the only thing right? :rolleyes:;))
    H/K Signature 2.1+235
    Jungson MagicBoat II
    Revel Performa M-20
    Velodyne cht-10 sub
    Rega P1 Turntable

"People working at Polk Audio must sit around the office and just laugh their balls off reading many of these comments." -Lush
  • BaggedLancer
    edited December 2007
    Maybe I'm missing something but how is an rx8 more refined than a Z?
  • Jstas
    edited December 2007
    shack wrote: »

A good friend of mine has a brand spankin' new GTi and it is a snazzy car. Hasn't let me drive it yet but it is roomier inside than it seems. He doesn't get on it because I think this is the most powerful car he's ever owned but it is very tight and buttoned down without being abusive. It's gonna take a bit more time to see any reliability issues but right now, it seems good. Although it has quite a few annoying and needless warning like the constantly flashing wiper fluid warning light and such. Aggravating to say the least.

That Volvo C30 though, it's growing on me. I like it's low-slung profile and that rear window treatment reminds me of the older Skoda and Suzuki rally and hill-climbing cars. But from what I've read, I think the C30 is based on the shared Mazda 3 platform which is supposed to be what the Focus' replacement will be based on in 2009 I think it's supposed to be out? Don't remember for sure. But the new Focus RS in Europe is coming with a hotted up version of the turbocharged 5 cylinder in the Volvo C30. So the C30 should run like it is on rails 'cause it shares many of the underpinnings with the Focus and Mazda it shares its running gear with and it probably runs like stink...for a Volvo with engine pumping out about 230 horses and 240 pound feet of torque in a car the weights just under 3,000 pounds. That's a power-to-weight ration around what a Mustang GT puts out, probably better and it's in a package with the name Volvo on it so it should be fairly reliable and safe too. Starting at $22,700 it's looking like a bit of a bargain and a good alternative to the hotter hatches out there.

• aaharvel
    aaharvel Posts: 4,489
    edited December 2007
    Maybe I'm missing something but how is an rx8 more refined than a Z?

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupe/112_0403_compact_sport_coupe_comparison/2004_nissan_350z.html

Chassis, build quality, braking, overall reflexes....

For the record, I have not driven either car. But the above review seems to be the general consensus. :)
    H/K Signature 2.1+235
    Jungson MagicBoat II
    Revel Performa M-20
    Velodyne cht-10 sub
    Rega P1 Turntable

"People working at Polk Audio must sit around the office and just laugh their balls off reading many of these comments." -Lush
  • Ron-P
    edited January 2008
    New test drives (01/01/2008)

Honda Civic Coupe
    Not a bad little car, roomier then the others in the back, not near the handling or performace either and very plain looking. This car reminds me of the MINI, a tinny feeling car without much weight. No real get up and go and the fit and finish is quite cheap looking. Not much car for the price. I sat in their Si version, nicer seats and a bit more horse power but not enough of a jump in quality for a price that's several thousand more then the Eclipse.

Eclipse 4-cylinder
    I first drove the V6 so this time around I drove the 4, I liked it better. Slightly better handling, stiffer ride and about $4k less with better MPG. This car had some serious get-up-and-go, more so then I remember of the V6. I imagine the weight of the V6 hampers things a bit. Not as many bells and whistles but still a very refined car with a very impressive fit and finsh, a lot of car for not a lot of coin.

- Not sure what's next in the $20-25k catagory. I pretty sure Toyota and Honda are out, not a lot of car for more coin, nothing really performance oriented with them either. Subaru's are too expensive and look ugly and most everything else that's decent is a two seater.
    If...
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited January 2008
    I would love to drive the new Accord V6, 6 speeds coupe, just for fun; it sure looks nice.

gal_lg2.jpg

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • audiobliss
    edited January 2008
    What about Chevy's new Malibu? I know NOTHING about it, so it may not appeal to you at all or may not even been remotely in the same category. I've just seen a lot of ads for it lately, so I figured I'd throw it out there.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • Danny Tse
    Danny Tse Posts: 5,206
    edited January 2008
    Ron,

Have you tried Scion's TC coupe?
  • Jstas
    edited January 2008
    - Not sure what's next in the $20-25k catagory. I pretty sure Toyota and Honda are out, not a lot of car for more coin, nothing really performance oriented with them either. Subaru's are too expensive and look ugly and most everything else that's decent is a two seater.

I know I'm going to be damned to hell for suggesting this but have you driven a Ford Fusion? I drove one when they first came out and even though the Ford is the low end model, performance in all aspects and comfort was up there close to the mark that the Lexus IS300 set when it first came out. It's a little bigger but fuel mileage numbers were pretty good for such a car. I don't hear of many problems with them either. The only thing I don't like about them is the taillights but the rest of the car is pretty snazzy.

I'd recommend a Focus but the U.S. version is still built on an old platform IIRC and due to be out on a new platform very soon so I wouldn't bother with it right now and keep looking at the Volvo for not that much more. The Volvo, like I said before, is the Focus RS from Europe with a cushier ride and more bells and whistles.

• steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited January 2008

I bought a new GTI in 1987...I LOVED THAT CAR. Fun, fun, fun. Quick, and sticks to the road like a train on the tracks. Build quality/feel was excellent. BMW/Mercedes/Audi don't have a thing on VW.

The Mitsu eclipse has always been a favorite of mine, but never owned one.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • Ron-P
    edited January 2008
    To all you guys suggesting American cars, you can stop right now. :) Sorry fella's I will not buy American. Although, CS rates the Ford Fusion very well, it's one of CS top 10 recommended, too bad it looks so plain. The Chevy Malibu isn't rated well at all.

As for the Honda Accord Coupe, it's too big and not enough car for the money. That's the problem buying Toyota or Honda, not near as much car for more money. You pay for their name.

I have not tried the Scion Coupe, if I have time tomorrow I will. The GTI is on my list for tomorrow. But, the GTI is rated fairly poor.

But damn, I really love how this car feels, drives and looks.

Eclipse.jpg?t=1199312522
    If...
  • cmy330go
    edited January 2008
    ...Although, CS rates the Ford Fusion very well, it's one of CS top 10 recommended, too bad it looks so plain. The Chevy Malibu isn't rated well at all.

Who do you mean by CS?
    HT

2 CH
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,713
    edited January 2008
    If you're now looking at the $20k-$25k range, I'm telling ya, don't rule out the Mazdaspeed3 just because it has 4 doors. That is one hot car and 'fun to drive' factor will quickly make you care less about whether it had 4 doors or 2. It will smoke just about everything else under $25k. I mean, who really cares if you have 4 doors? Your rear seat passengers definitely won't mind. Back in the old days, 4 doors were ugly versions of the coupe, but since the mid 90s, 4 doors have become the main design and coupes are often non-existent or afterthoughts. In the mid/late 90s, the Pontiac GrandPrix, the Audi A4, A6, VW Passats and Jettas, and even the BMW 3 series were all 4 doors that looked great! Today, most of those still look great and so do the Mazda 3 and 6 car.

Edit: I wouldn't go near a Mitsubishi if I were you. Their quality and reliability has been very suspect over the last 5-10 years.

To me, this is pretty!

pho_gallery_MS3_ext16.jpg
    pho_gallery_MS3_ext12.jpg
    pho_gallery_MS3_ext4.jpg
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited January 2008
    The Eclipse is a teenage girls' car.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • BaggedLancer
    edited January 2008
    dorokusai wrote: »
    The Eclipse is a teenage girls' car.

Do you give them to your runaways?