How's Mazda? I'm thinking about an RX-8.

Comments

• Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited December 2007
    motivatorrotary.jpg
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited December 2007
    Burrrrrrrrrrn!

Man, that one hurt!

But I like the rotary engine.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited December 2007
    Yes bill, the g37...sorry I drive the 06' g35 sedan and forgot they changed it to 37 for the new coupes, but left it at 35 for the new sedans.....doesn't make any sense but whatever.

For the little extra dough the g37 coupe is well worth it....talk about a strikingly beautiful car to look at. Sporty, fast, luxurious....what more could you want. Oh and that trademark hollow infiniti G coupe exhaust sound....yum
  • Face
    edited December 2007
    I agree, the new G37 is gorgeous. I would take a Sky Redline over it though.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Joe08867
    Joe08867 Posts: 3,919
    edited December 2007
    I would go Z before the RX8 or the Sky. Lots of low end grunt. Huge aftermarket if you are an upgrader and damn fine looking.

The RX8 is a fun car if you don't mind winding up the revs. One of the Drive it like you stole it types. The S2000 is the same. Although the look of the RX8 is pretty unique and nice.

The Sky is very nice in person. Picks do it no justice at all. Plus it is more of a european car than any of them. Considering it is just a rebadged Vauxhaul (Sp?).
  • Polk addict
    Polk addict Posts: 558
    edited December 2007
    Just in case you didn't know, Mazda is now owned by Ford, has been for a while, but just wanted to let you know...

I will not recommend Honda just because they are a little expensive for what they are...

Saturn may have problems, I dunno what exactly but my friends have just spent money all over the place on their Sats...

Nissan Engine was on Wards' ten best engines list if that means anything to you...
    Chiranth
    hoosier21 wrote:
    Cobra + SDA's = dead amps laying all around.
  • cmy330go
    cmy330go Posts: 2,341
    edited December 2007
    I'm personally a BMW fan, but if you must go elsewhere.....

I really think the RX-8 is a great car for the money. I personally would own an RX over an S2000 if for no other reason I can't imagine anyone over 6 foot being comfortable in an S2000.

I've spent quite a bit of time in a G35 coupe which is essentially a 350z and must say that for pure sport I prefer the drive of the RX-8.

However if you really want to have some go-fast rotary fun, I would look for a second gen RX-7. A buddy of mine has one that will down right scare you. I've driven it while it was running around 12psi of boost and was blown away. He recently told me that it really wakes up with 17psi. EEEEKKKK!

Have fun with the hunt.

BTW....Just take extended test drives in anything you might be interested in. More than once if you have to. Then you won't have to deal with the what if's.
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,713
    edited December 2007
    Just in case you didn't know, Mazda is now owned by Ford, has been for a while, but just wanted to let you know...

FYI: Ford only owns about 33.4% of Mazda. Its still a separate company with separate headquarters. Yes, they share a few models and have some crossover drivetrains in a few models (these days its mostly Mazda engines in Fords), but the Mazda Miata, RX-8, and both of the Mazdaspeed models are all built in Japan and probably have little or no Ford parts in them.

They are Japanese engineered and built so your Ford comment has no relavance.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • Polk addict
    Polk addict Posts: 558
    edited December 2007
    My bad, but BTW the 350z engine and the G35 are the same...
    Chiranth
    hoosier21 wrote:
    Cobra + SDA's = dead amps laying all around.
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited December 2007
    dohcmark8 wrote: »
    What I have learned is: If a man wants something, he will ask your opinion but he will go out and get it anyway no matter what you say. :D

So if you want that RX-8, then go for it and stop moping about.
    Ha, so very true. I am really leaning towards the RX-8 but I do plan to hit Toyota, Honda, Mits and others just to see and test drive. I'm not in a hurry to buy so time is on my side.
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • BaggedLancer
    edited December 2007
    My bad, but BTW the 350z engine and the G35 are the same...

Maybe the same engine but the level of comfort is light years different. Nice aftermarket on the 350z, nice aftermarket on the g35 coupe...haven't been keeping track of the g37 coupe upgrade path but to me that car needs nothing.

What about a preowned g35 coupe that just came off a lease? The huge majority of Infiniti owners don't beat the bag out of their cars(not that kind of demographic) so you are bound to get a good car.
  • cmy330go
    edited December 2007
    Maybe the same engine but the level of comfort is light years different. Nice aftermarket on the 350z, nice aftermarket on the g35 coupe...haven't been keeping track of the g37 coupe upgrade path but to me that car needs nothing.

What about a preowned g35 coupe that just came off a lease? The huge majority of Infiniti owners don't beat the bag out of their cars(not that kind of demographic) so you are bound to get a good car.

BaggedLancer does bring up a good idea. Just beware that the G35 coupe with the sport package is by no means a smooth rider. I would honestly say it's little more punishing than my old '95 Z28.

Also if you happen to like doing mods a G35 responds amazingly well to a mild suspension upgrade.
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,
  • edbert
    edbert Posts: 1,041
    edited December 2007
    Definitely 350Z or G35 coupe. I drive an 05 Altima as well with the same engine, and that thing is a blast! It will be dead reliable and fun to drive.
    I know just enough to be dangerous, but don't tell my wife, she thinks I'm a genius. :D

Pioneer VSX-816
    Monitor 40's - fronts, bi-amped
    Monitor 30's - surrounds
    CS1 - center
    PSW10 - I'll let you guess
    Blue Jeans Cable - speaker cable
    Daewoo 27 incher - one step up from a console
    Sony Progressive scan DVD
    XBOX

SOPA since 2008
    Here's my stuff.
  • Lowell_M
    Lowell_M Posts: 1,660
    edited December 2007
    I would go with the Z and not even consider the RX again. I've heard nothing but poor reports in reliability. It's tough to beat Nissan reliability.

The Z is a hell of a ride for the money if you are looking for fun-to-drive factor. Sorry, a-b, but the Solstice is a big pile of poo when it comes to performance.

Depends what you are looking for. Z = driver's car, Solstice = looks really cool, Honda S2000 = another cool driver's car, but could get tiresome. RX8= don't do it.

....my 2 cents.
    HT
    RTi70 mains
    CSi30 center
    RTi28 Rears
    Velodyne CHT-12
    H/K AVR-247
    ADCOM GFA-7000
    Samsung PN58B860
    Playstation 3

2-Channel
    Polk Audio LSi15's
    Rotel RCD-1072
    Nakamichi CA-5 Pre
    ADCOM GFA-555
    Signal Cable Analog II IC's
    Signal Ultra Bi-Wire Speaker Cables
  • Lowell_M
    Lowell_M Posts: 1,660
    edited December 2007
    edbert wrote: »
    Definitely 350Z or G35 coupe. I drive an 05 Altima as well with the same engine, and that thing is a blast! It will be dead reliable and fun to drive.

I just bought a 2007 G35 Sport 6MT Sedan. The car is unbelievable. It doesn't have Viper power or anything, but for a 4 door itt's hard to beat the performance.
    HT
    RTi70 mains
    CSi30 center
    RTi28 Rears
    Velodyne CHT-12
    H/K AVR-247
    ADCOM GFA-7000
    Samsung PN58B860
    Playstation 3

2-Channel
    Polk Audio LSi15's
    Rotel RCD-1072
    Nakamichi CA-5 Pre
    ADCOM GFA-555
    Signal Cable Analog II IC's
    Signal Ultra Bi-Wire Speaker Cables
  • audiobliss
    edited December 2007
    a_mattison wrote: »
    Sorry, a-b, but the Solstice is a big pile of poo when it comes to performance.
    I guess that may be, but why? I'm having a hard time understanding that exactly.

From its 2.0L I4, it's making 260hp at 5300rpm, and it cranks out 260lb-ft from 2000 - 5300rpm.

Sure, the G37 pumps out 330hp and 270lb-ft. But it also weighs 3600 pounds compared to the Solstice's 3031 pounds, so their 0-60 times are only about 0.3 seconds off (5.2 for the G37 and 5.5 for the GXP). And 1/4 mile times are only .3 seconds off (13.9 for G37 and 14.2 for GXP).

Stopping distances from 70 are really close, too (164' for the G37, 170' for the GXP).

And supposedly the prices are $27k for the GXP and $35k for the G37.

Again, like I said, maybe the GXP is lacking in performance, since numbers don't always tell the whole tale and that's all I'm going on...but it sure looks like the GXP does a pretty decent job, especially for the price.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited December 2007
    If you like the Mini (other than dealing with BMW) go check out a VW GTI. Pretty much does everything the Mini does but better (except for the great gas mileage). It's taken over 20 years since the original but VW got this one right.

2006-all-new-gti-scn-net-008.jpg
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • cmy330go
    edited December 2007
    audiobliss wrote: »
    I guess that may be, but why? I'm having a hard time understanding that exactly.

From its 2.0L I4, it's making 260hp at 5300rpm, and it cranks out 260lb-ft from 2000 - 5300rpm.

Sure, the G37 pumps out 330hp and 270lb-ft. But it also weighs 3600 pounds compared to the Solstice's 3031 pounds, so their 0-60 times are only about 0.3 seconds off (5.2 for the G37 and 5.5 for the GXP). And 1/4 mile times are only .3 seconds off (13.9 for G37 and 14.2 for GXP).

Stopping distances from 70 are really close, too (164' for the G37, 170' for the GXP).

Again, like I said, maybe the GXP is lacking in performance, since numbers don't always tell the whole tale and that's all I'm going on...but it sure looks like the GXP does a pretty decent job, especially for the price.

I'm with you AB. The solstice is actually a pretty decent car. I personally am not a fan of the styling, and quite honestly the interior materials leave much to be desired but it is still a good drive. And if you consider that the G35 was a few ticks slower than the new G37 they really run about neck and neck in a straight line. I would venture to say with equal rubber under the two that the Solstice would be quicker around a track.

I just really wish GM would have stayed a little more faithful to it's Vauxhall predecessor and left it mid-engine.
    HT

2 CH
  • Face
    edited December 2007
    Shack, VW hasn't been known for the reliability the last 5 years or so.
  • cmy330go
    edited December 2007
    I haven't driven one yet...but I would go check out one of these too.

Volvo C30
    volvoc304moyennexr5.jpg

user10931160022273mg2.jpg
    HT

2 CH
  • BaggedLancer
    edited December 2007
    audiobliss wrote: »

:confused::eek::confused:

Why on earth would you compare those two cars....completely different animals. One is luxury performance....and the other is...well...I don't know what you want to call it? Economy performance? Sure, timeslips may be similiar but ride quality, amenities, and overall build quality aren't even remotely close.

I'd much rather be driving an Infiniti than a Pontiac, not even really a discussion about it.
  • BaggedLancer
    edited December 2007
    Face wrote: »
    Shack, VW hasn't been known for the reliability the last 5 years or so.

I heard this too, and those DSG transmissions are EXPENSIVE!
  • Danny Tse
    Danny Tse Posts: 5,206
    edited December 2007
    a_mattison wrote: »
    I just bought a 2007 G35 Sport 6MT Sedan. The car is unbelievable. It doesn't have Viper power or anything, but for a 4 door itt's hard to beat the performance.

I think the Lexus IS350 may be even faster. But if I have the money, it'd be the G35 sedan for me.
  • cmy330go
    edited December 2007
    ....Sure, timeslips may be similiar but ride quality, amenities, and overall build quality aren't even remotely close.....

I have to disagree with that to some extent. There is no doubt that the Infinity (or even the Nissan) has a little nicer interior materials, and initially you will see better fit and finish as well. But the G35 is a pretty rough rider (especially with the sport package), and that nice tight interior starts to rattle and show a little wear far sooner than I would expect. A close friend of mine has an '06 G35 with about 25k on it. Last month when he got married he asked me to drive it home for him after the wedding. I have to say I was quite shocked at how much the dash squeaked and rattled. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying the G is a bad ride, but it's not for everyone.
    HT

2 CH
  • cmy330go
    edited December 2007
    Danny Tse wrote: »
    I think the Lexus IS350 may be even faster. But if I have the money, it'd be the G35 sedan for me.

The is350 is right around 5.5 or 5.4. But I'm with you...I'd take the G35 over the Lexus. Between the weird steering feel and the ridiculous stability system in the Lexus, I think I'd rather drive a minivan. But I will say the Lexus is far better looking.

Actually that reminds me of a funny quote I read in an autoweek review that pitted the IS350 against a BMW 330i.

"Lexus brought a knife to a gunfight and still managed to shoot itself in the foot. The 3 Series is indeed the better car."
    HT

2 CH
  • BaggedLancer
    edited December 2007
    cmy330go wrote: »
    I have to disagree with that to some extent. There is no doubt that the Infinity (or even the Nissan) has a little nicer interior materials, and initially you will see better fit and finish as well. But the G35 is a pretty rough rider (especially with the sport package), and that nice tight interior starts to rattle and show a little wear far sooner than I would expect. A close friend of mine has an '06 G35 with about 25k on it. Last month when he got married he asked me to drive it home for him after the wedding. I have to say I was quite shocked at how much the dash squeaked and rattled. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying the G is a bad ride, but it's not for everyone.

Coupe or sedan? My sedan has 20k on it and still rides like the day I got it. The sedan has an incredible ride, not even close to stiff or rough as others described. If you are talking about the coupe it all depends what package you get. Obviously the sport package will be tight and stiff, but the luxury setup rides nice. However, those yellow Brembos in the sport package are yummy delicious :)
  • Face
    edited December 2007
    The sports suspension on the G coupe is rougher than expected, but it does handle well.
  • audiobliss
    edited December 2007
    Sweet, I'm not alone in the Solstice camp. :)

I'd certainly love to have one for a daily driver. Or a track car.

But what I'd really like is a Solstice with a carbon fiber body and a LS7 under the hood! :D:D:D:D
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • cmy330go
    edited December 2007
    Coupe or sedan? My sedan has 20k on it and still rides like the day I got it. The sedan has an incredible ride, not even close to stiff or rough as others described. If you are talking about the coupe it all depends what package you get. Obviously the sport package will be tight and stiff, but the luxury setup rides nice. However, those yellow Brembos in the sport package are yummy delicious :)

I've primarily been talking about the sport coupe. I agree that the non sport is a much softer ride, but to me it gives up too much performance. The sedan of course is a whole other beast.
    HT

2 CH
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited December 2007
    Here's what I just got back from test driving...

2007 Mitsubishi Eclipse Coupe

6-speed manual, V-6, two door that seats 4...and comfortably. I liked this car. Quite impressive handling, good get up and go with 263 hp under the hood. Roomy inside with decent space and a very clean layout. A bit more of a bubble look then I want but still a very nice, clean sporty look. This jumped to the top of my buy list. Also, a very reliable car as well, just about all solid red dots in Consumer Reports. A great 5 year 50k bumper-to-bumper and 10 year 100k power train warranty.

2008 Mazda RX-8

6-speed, rotary engine with 212hp. A 4 door that feels very cramped, my head barely touched the roof. The salesmen’s head hit the roof. The back seating is nice but no leg room at all if the front passenger is tall and needs some leg room. Also the passenger leg area is very cramped due to a giant bump that sticks out due to the engine. The car is bigger but has less space inside then my MINI.

Performance wise this thing was a blast to drive, handled awesome, I was taking turns at more then twice the posted speed limit and didn't feel out of control in the least. The get up and go was also very impressive, like a rocket once you hit 2nd gear, 1st gear seemed a bit weak.

This car needs to be babied. It requires oil; it requires being warmed up, no cold starting and sudden stopping. It's very subject to flooding. The sales people, 3 of them all made sure I was very aware of these facts.

The RX-8 is now off my list of cars too buy.
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.