How's Mazda? I'm thinking about an RX-8.

Ron-P
Ron-P Posts: 8,516
edited January 2008 in The Clubhouse
I've pretty much decided that when I get my MINI back she'll be traded in, not for another MINI nor for any other product by BMW. This car, while it's the most fun I've had behind the wheel has left a very sour taste in my mouth for anything BMW.

After talking with many previous BMW owners I can now understand why they are previous owners. Too many trips to the dealer for repairs, too much time in the shop.

So, from my small list of cars; Saturn Sky, Mazda RX-8 or a Nissan Z, I'm leaning towards the RX-8. I like the look and it seats 4. I've never owned a Mazda nor really know anyone that has either, so I'm looking for input from any owners out there. Plus, there in my $30k ball-park price range.

Both Toyota and Honda are out as they don't make anything sporty.
If...
Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
Post edited by Ron-P on

Comments

• Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,277
    edited December 2007
    This thing looks seriosuly fun! I'll vote RX-8. I've heard good things about Mazda also.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRiPSlx8PxA

Post pics when you get it. Also post a pic of your first speeding ticket, ;)

John
    No excuses!
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited December 2007
    I've heard great things about Mazda - several of my friends have them, actually. However, I haven't heard great things about the reliability of the RX-8. The Wankel engine just ends up developing leaks too much, no matter what they do. From what I've heard at least. Considering you're trading your Mini in because of reliability issues, I'd look pretty seriously at the reliability of the RX-8 before jumping in :)
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited December 2007
    Mazda makes good cars, and that rotaey is a nice engine. absolutly NO bottom end torque though. my vote is for the Z. more of a pure sports car (and no one is fitting in the back of the Mazda that isnt under 5'2 and 90 lbs :p)

wont go wrong either way though
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited December 2007
    on a reliability standpoint, I heard the Z's pretty solid
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited December 2007
    As a BMW owner I kinda know what you mean...but it depends on thne make and model...alot

I have never been a fan of the Wankle, but I know several people that have Mazda`s (not sure if they are Wankles , or not), and they LOVE them...

Good luck on your search...

I would look at the post where A Maddison got himself a new car...
    http://www.upscaleaudio.com/product.asp?itemid=69&catid=85

Might be a good choice..

ND13 is the car Guru....maybe Noel will chime in here...

Merry Christmas !
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited December 2007
    my last three cars have been Mazda's. only the last one I owned, bought used had one problem with the drive train. it was covered under a warranty. once fixed about three years ago, I never had another problem with it.

Those tiny rotary engines are powerful little suckers. I owned a RX-7 in the day.. thing was a rocket on wheels.. Way ahead of it's time for power, speed and looks.. (this was the mid 80's).
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited December 2007
    Out of those three I'd vote for the Pontiac Solstice. Well, so that wasn't one of the three listed, but I prefer its looks to the Saturn Sky's.

I test drove a Solstice GXP....:eek: That was fun! :D

If you're moving from a Mini, there's NO doubt the interior will be FAR inferior in the Solstice, as a lot of it is plastic and a lot of the surfaces will give when you push on it. But if you're more focusing on the driving experience, I'd definitely look at it. A 2.0L I4 pumping out 260+ hp and lb-ft? And a 50/50 weight balance front to back? And a 50/50 weight balance left to right (so I've heard)? That's sweet! And I loved the feel of the steering wheel in my hand.

No doubt I'd personally take the Solstice over the Z. Not to say the Z wouldn't be fun, though!
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited December 2007
    Ron-P wrote: »
    Both Toyota and Honda are out as they don't make anything sporty.

Look again.....;)

I would pick the Honda S2000

gal_lg4.jpg

gal_lg3.jpg

gal_lg1.jpg

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • Bill Ayotte
    Bill Ayotte Posts: 1,860
    edited December 2007
    The S2K is a blast to drive, as is the Z....I liked the RX-8, but I think for the $$ the Z is one hell of a car. If you are looking for a more refined type of car, I would check out a G35....All of the fun that the Z has, and luxury to boot. I thought that the RX was a little underwhelming compared to the Z/G35, but that's just me.....The S2k is sure a blast to drive, but if you want a backseat it's not for you...
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,185
    edited December 2007
    Growing up in a BMW family I tend to lean towards them for cars. Owning one myself and considering another down the road I want to ask what happened to you that left you sour??
    GM products I will never own again as every single one I worked on and owned fell apart. I worked for Pontiac/GMC and Nissan and by far Nissan is a much better product. Stay away from GM if you want to stay out of the repair shop.
    Nissan on the other hand are awesome. I saw a Maxima go over 300k miles all orignal drive train. Fantastic compression after so many miles which was right in spec.
    The Z in your list owuld be my first choice. It's a fun car to drive, it's very quick and you will be on the road more then the repair shop.

Back to BMW. The only problems which are wear and tear, my uncles 95 525i burned out it's clutch at 167,000 miles. I believe after all those miles not to mention he drove the hell out of that car. He owns a 540i now in full sport package with all the M series parts. it's a few years old now I believe it's a 2003 or 4. It has over 30k miles and no problems yet. My 2000 328i had no problems and It had 70k on it when I traded it in.
    My cousion now drives my uncles old 95 525 now has 200k on the orignal engine and trans. The car is in pristine shape and runs like a top. The car did live in the garage and got serviced on a regular basis. Nothing broke, not even the 6 disc cd changer in the trunk.

I love BMW cars and would plan on owning a 550i maybe next year. Sorry to hear you had problems with your Mini, they are very cool **** cars.

Dan
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • howie777
    howie777 Posts: 357
    edited December 2007
    My friend from College drives an RX-8 and loves it. Although there is something odd about having the car on for less than 5 mins. Seems it locks up and requires a dealership trip to get it fixed. The details are sketchy in my mind but definatly ask about that.

I'd go Nissan, I own a 05 Altima and love it.

H
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited December 2007
    danger boy wrote: »
    my last three cars have been Mazda's. only the last one I owned, bought used had one problem with the drive train. it was covered under a warranty. once fixed about three years ago, I never had another problem with it.

Those tiny rotary engines are powerful little suckers. I owned a RX-7 in the day.. thing was a rocket on wheels.. Way ahead of it's time for power, speed and looks.. (this was the mid 80's).

Me too. I had a 1980 that I tore apart, ported(no valves, cam,...), IMSA racing bearings, hardened gears, oil pump, centerforce II clutch, Delorto side draft carb, and racing beat header, and exhaust.... I was 18 at the time. My buddy and I would go out with the thing; get on top of a huge hill; throw it in reverse; go as fast as we could; push in the clutch till we were doing about 50 back wards. I would stick it in first wind it out to 8500rpm, and dump the clutch. I did that all the time. That car took it with a stock drivetrain like nobody's business. We would see the J strips in front of of while we were still spinning the tires going back wards. I have mad respect for the rotary engine. I have no idea about the new ones, but you have to love a rotary. Gobs of fun even when driven normally:D I also had an 85 RX7 GSL much fun.
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Serendipity
    Serendipity Posts: 6,975
    edited December 2007
    ohskigod wrote: »
    on a reliability standpoint, I heard the Z's pretty solid

IMO, the Nissan Z is VERY reliable.
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!
  • Ron-P
    edited December 2007
    I want to ask what happened to you that left you sour??

I've owned my 2003 MC for 18 months, she's at 62,000 miles, in that time she's been in the shop for;

- Two new batteries
    - Oxygen Sensor replaced
    - Fuel Sensor replaced
    - Driver seat frame replaced
    - Passenger upper strut mount replaced
    - Rattle in dash
    - Shift Linkage Bracket replaced

...and the current ongoing transmission failure, going on 5 weeks now and I'm sure several more weeks to go.
    If...
  • dohcmark8
    dohcmark8 Posts: 229
    edited December 2007
    From what I hear the RX-8 is a great car if you fall in love with it and can ignore a few problems such as small leaks and no bottom end torque. If you dont want to deal with any issues I'd stay away.

For coupes in the MC price range... there is the VW GTI (long term reliability questionable), the Ford Mustang (most reliable in its class), also there is the new Altima coupe which is worth taking a look at IMO. If you can move up a bit in price I'd take a strong look at the Infiniti G37.
  • dohcmark8
    edited December 2007
    Zero wrote: »
    That Honda looks like a soccer-mom's sports car.

The S2000 is a true sports car at heart. It is lightweight, redlines at 8k, handles great and has a very balanced chassis.
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited December 2007
    We own a Mazda. Excellent car. I love the RX-8. It was in one of the X Men movies too. I have a patient with one and he loves it.
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,713
    edited December 2007
    I like the RX-8 from a looks/functionality/performance point, but the rotary engine is what would always keep me away from them. Not a 200,000+ mile motor like Honda, Nissan, and Toyota have. Terrible gas mileage and lack of low end torque too.

If you are sticking to Japanese go fast machines, and you want 4 seats, I'd get one of the Mazdaspeed machines. You can still find the Mazdaspeed 6 at some dealers with pretty heavy discounts,
    or the Car & Driver top-10 car, Mazdaspeed 3 is a lot of fun for the money.

Those turbo 4s may not be 200,000 mile reliable, but they will be a heck of a lot more reliable than the RX-8 rotary engine.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited December 2007
    What about a new g35 coupe? Those things are sexxxxxy.
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,713
    edited December 2007
    What about a new g35 coupe? Those things are sexxxxxy.

I guess you mean the new G37? G35 coupe was disscontinued after '07. Now only in a sedan.
    G37 coupe starts at $34k, which is a bit above the price limit mentioned by Ron.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • audiobliss
    edited December 2007
    I'm still going with my previous vote.

attachment.php?attachmentid=2875&stc=1&d=1193765036
    saturn-sky_sidefront1.jpg

Whichever flavor you prefer. :)
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • kingcars66
    kingcars66 Posts: 21
    edited December 2007
    I vote for the Solstice as well. It looks so awesome and seems to be very well balanced.
  • Ron-P
    edited December 2007
    It's a funny thing. From all my threads and research there are rotary engine haters and lovers, no inbetween. From my searching and reading I have yet to find anything negative about Mazda's Renesis rotary engine. Other then a small about of oil-burn (by design) there are no negatives about this engine, just positives. Emissions are much improved as is the longevity of the engine itself. No more rebuilds after 50k miles like the rotary engines of the past.

One thing is for certain, Thursday I'm heading to the local Mazda shop to test drive both the Miata and RX-8. It should be quite fun.

The Solstice looks like a simplified Saturn Sky, I think the Sky has much more personality. I don't like it much.
    If...
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited December 2007
    I've went in for a test drive of the RX-8 when they first came out and couldn't unless I was serious about buying it. I was like WTF are you talking about? Long story short, 4 hours later, I seriously bought a brand new Audi A4. Screw Mazda.

The RX-8 is sexy from the rear but butt ugly from the front. I subsequently drove one a couple years later and was less than impressed. The RX heritage ended with the previous RX-7 generation.

I think the Saturn Sky is very striking to look, always a head turner for me, however, nothing special in regards to performance....it ain't no Mini but anything is better than that anyways. Sorry, no love for that thing on this end. Old school, real Mini Cooper? Absolutely.

The Z has remained somewhat faithful to the lineage and I'm an old 240/280 series owner over. However, I'm older and would take the Infinity instead. Kids drive the 350Z....Men drive Infinity. I think the styling is cleaned up a bit on the G as well.

Anyways, good luck.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • dohcmark8
    edited December 2007
    Ron-P wrote: »
    It's a funny thing. From all my threads and research there are rotary engine haters and lovers, no inbetween. From my searching and reading I have yet to find anything negative about Mazda's Renesis rotary engine. Other then a small about of oil-burn (by design) there are no negatives about this engine, just positives. Emissions are much improved as is the longevity of the engine itself. No more rebuilds after 50k miles like the rotary engines of the past.

One thing is for certain, Thursday I'm heading to the local Mazda shop to test drive both the Miata and RX-8. It should be quite fun.

The Solstice looks like a simplified Saturn Sky, I think the Sky has much more personality. I don't like it much.

Take a look at the MazdaSpeed3 and 6 while you are there. Insanely awesome and fast cars for the price tag. I didn't mention them earlier because you cant get them with an automatic. 6 speed manual only. :cool:

As mentioned above the MazdaSpeed3 is not only a 10 best car for Car & Driver but it also won a hot hatch comparison test.
  • Ron-P
    edited December 2007
    I don't like the looks of the Speed3 or 6, very plain, plus it has 4 full size doors.
    The RX-8 is sexy from the rear but butt ugly from the front. I subsequently drove one a couple years later and was less than impressed. The RX heritage ended with the previous RX-7 generation.
    Personally, I love the look of the 8 much more then the 7, even the front end.
    If...
  • zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,258
    edited December 2007
    Go with the G35. It's a sweet car, and definitly a mans car.
  • audiobliss
    edited December 2007
    As far as the RX's go, I have to agree, I'd LOVE to have an RX-7...that'd be sweet...but an RX-8 would be...well...just ok.

I'd also love to have a Mazdaspeed 3! Those things are sweet!

But I'm still sticking to the Solstice GXP for this one! :D
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • sophie
    sophie Posts: 511
    edited December 2007
    my dad has his first car. it is a '84 rx7. he has never had to replace a thing on it. it is a great car and lots of fun to drive. it is horrible in the winter here in northern iowa but that wouldn't be much of an issue for you. i say rx8.
    Polk monitor 10B's and 5 jr's
    Adcom gfa 5500 and HK/240
    Adcom gtp 400
    Adcom gcp 600
    MusicHall MMF 2.1 TT
  • dohcmark8
    edited December 2007
    What I have learned is: If a man wants something, he will ask your opinion but he will go out and get it anyway no matter what you say. :D

So if you want that RX-8, then go for it and stop moping about.