*%$#@&*!* Computers

Comments

• Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited December 2007
    janmike wrote: »
    I think my PC days are over. The next computer will probably be a MAC.

You'll be back. Most do come back.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited December 2007
    Face wrote: »
    You'll be back. Most do come back.

Yea, seriously. If Arnold came back, you'll be back.

:cool:
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited December 2007
    Well, I have been around them for years & years and maybe it's time for a change.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited December 2007
    shack wrote: »
    When did he get rid of the Commodore 64?

load "*",8,1
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • ESavinon
    ESavinon Posts: 3,066
    edited December 2007
    I love Windows 2000 pro/XP pro. It's better than windows ME or VISTA.
    SRT For Life; SDA Forever!

The SRT SEISMIC System:
    Four main satellite speakers, six powered subs, two dedicated for LFE channel, two center speakers for over/under screen placement and three Control Centers. Amaze your friends, terrorize your neighbors, seize the audio bragging rights for your state. Go ahead, buy it; you only go around once.
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited December 2007
    Windows ME was a disaster. Vista isn't far behind.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • WilliamM2
    WilliamM2 Posts: 4,771
    edited December 2007
    Lasareath wrote: »
    I just got a new client, a big client with lots of money but they have all Macs, Damn!, Now I have no more excuses, I have to buy a Mac too.

I was thinking of getting one of those Mac Minis and connecting it to my KVM

But Mac's are very easy to use, and never have any problems. Why would they need to hire you?;)
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited December 2007
    WilliamM2 wrote: »
    But Mac's are very easy to use, and never have any problems. Why would they need to hire you?;)

They saw the feedback he left on the Polk Audio ebay site, went to his website, and decided they just had to hear his SDA's for themselves so they hired him. That's my theory.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited December 2007
    F1nut wrote: »
    100% positive. I'm never wrong about people or computers. If I say someone is a putz, rest assured they are and if I say XP sucks, rest assured it does too.

Ctrl C, edit profile, edit signature, Ctrl V, save.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited December 2007
    They saw the feedback he left on the Polk Audio ebay site, went to his website, and decided they just had to hear his SDA's for themselves so they hired him. That's my theory.

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA :D

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• obieone
    obieone Posts: 5,077
    edited December 2007
    Attention Microsoft & Pc Manufacturers: Please Stop Adding Crap To The Pc's That Only Some Of The Population Want Or Need. If I Want 'office' I'll Buy It!!
    Streamline The Os To Make It Functional With Everything, We'll Take Of The Rest!!!
    I Know Yelling Is Bad, But They're Making Me!!!
    I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!
  • BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    edited December 2007
    F1nut wrote: »
    I HATE M*%$#@ F&*!*#% computers!!!

Rant over, carry on.

PEBKAC
  • Systems
    edited December 2007
    obieone wrote: »
    Attention Microsoft & Pc Manufacturers: Please Stop Adding Crap To The Pc's That Only Some Of The Population Want Or Need. If I Want 'office' I'll Buy It!!
    Streamline The Os To Make It Functional With Everything, We'll Take Of The Rest!!!
    I Know Yelling Is Bad, But They're Making Me!!!

Can you specifically note the "additions" that you don’t want? Apple as an OS throws in LOT more stuff on the OS then M$ does as far as users software. M$ simply cant because they get drawn down by anti-practice by the EU every time they do. Example: M$ is told to separate MS Media player because its anti-practice but Apple can throw on an entire suite of media type software like ITUNS and Quicktime (I will note that I have heard that Apples getting big enough now that the EU will start targeting them soon). As far as hardware goes, not sure where you are going with that, mac's are PC's that roll out with the exact same Intel hardware (chipset and all).

I’ll once again note that F1 said “#****@#$@ Computers” which of course leads to all the Mac guy saying “buy a Mac”. All we know, F1 could be talking about a Mac.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,806
    edited December 2007
    PEBKAC

PEBKAC

Problem
    Exists
    Between
    Keyboard
    And
    Chair
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Systems
    edited December 2007
    Jstas wrote: »
    PEBKAC

Problem
    Exists
    Between
    Keyboard
    And
    Chair

How about the old:

ID-10-T error?
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,982
    edited December 2007
    PEBKAC
    I knew I was right! :D

Hehe.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • markmarc
    markmarc Posts: 2,309
    edited December 2007
    Would an Osborne work for you?????

Silverti:
    LOL, had that discussion just the other day with our IT guy. People forget, MS got sued because they made it so that you had to have Explorer to make the MS OS work. Any Mac program can be removed and the OS will still work.

The second problem, and you know this is true, the way Windows is setup any program that gets installed leaves tenticles of code everywhere. Even after an uninstall, droppings are left behind. With the Unix base of OSX, this occurs only if the software developer specifically wants it this way. virtually every program I install on my iBook, all I do is drag a folder with the program right to where I want it, and it's done, period.

BTW, I live in both computer worlds and see the good and bad of both.
    Review Site_ (((AudioPursuit)))
    Founder/Publisher Affordable$$Audio 2006-13.
    Former Staff Member TONEAudio
    2 Ch. System
    Amplifiers: Parasound Halo P6 pre, Vista Audio i34, Peachtree amp500, Adcom GFP-565 GFA-535ii, 545ii, 555ii
    Digital: SimAudio HAD230 DAC, iMac 20in/Amarra,
    Speakers: Paradigm Performa F75, Magnepan .7, Totem Model 1's, ACI Emerald XL, Celestion Si Stands. Totem Dreamcatcher sub
    Analog: Technics SL-J2 w/Pickering 3000D, SimAudio LP5.3 phono pre
    Cable/Wires: Cardas, AudioArt, Shunyata Venom 3
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,806
    edited December 2007
    Silverti wrote: »
    How about the old:

ID-10-T error?

That's not an error, that's a user group. id10t.

I got in trouble at work because I made up that group on the UNIX systems and problem users would get associated with that group so that when they had a call and one of us checked the groups on the user id10t would pop up and you'd know what you were in store for. It got found out when a user complained that he kept getting dropped from groups because he had too many groups associated. One of the leads found the id10t group and I got in trouble 'cause it "wasn't professional".
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Systems
    edited December 2007
    Jstas wrote: »
    That's not an error, that's a user group. id10t.

I got in trouble at work because I made up that group on the UNIX systems and problem users would get associated with that group so that when they had a call and one of us checked the groups on the user id10t would pop up and you'd know what you were in store for. It got found out when a user complained that he kept getting dropped from groups because he had too many groups associated. One of the leads found the id10t group and I got in trouble 'cause it "wasn't professional".

Heheeh! I run the show here and actively encurage my network admins and support guys to feel free to use id10t. We've even used forms of it in the domain admin passwords :)
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Systems
    edited December 2007
    markmarc wrote: »
    The second problem, and you know this is true, the way Windows is setup any program that gets installed leaves tentacles of code everywhere. .

That problem was defiantly there with versions of windows < Windows 2000 but by and large have disappeared with Windows 2000+. It still happens with very poorly written 3rd part apps but not so bad. We use that program called "crap cleaner" around here. People (especially home users) don’t understand that Windows is a Rock solid OS, in fact, Vista is the best one to roll out ever in terms of critical issues that had to be "fixed" in the first year of roll out. The problem comes with 3rd party apps. I have sat in front on home PC's with 3 kids and 2 adults using them with so much crap installed on them and removed over the past 3 years that they don’t even function. It’s not Windows fault that every file sharing application known to man is installed and have an icon in the task tray, they loaded 3 different kinds of virus scanners that are all running at the same time and these 10 different media playing software up and running on it :)

With "crap cleaner" I can now-a-days visit a box like that, remove the 3rd party software (hell, 1/4th of them are so poorly written that you cant removed them) and run it. That program can return a box to fresh build state in a matter of seconds. Its pretty amazing little app. It basically cleans up all of those crazy registry fingers that these 3rd party apps throw all over the place and has advanced tools for removing them if they don’t play with Windows well.

Apple can legitimately state that they don’t have these problems because they just don’t have the huge repository of goofy 3rd party nasty apps that PC users do. When you have a proprietary system, you are able to guard against things like that... its the trade off for not being able to use 99% of the software/games made on the market.

I can honestly say that in the past 10 years since windows 2000 came out, in the hundred thousand work orders I have fixed in my various IT jobs, 99.999% of them had nothing to do with Windows itself.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    edited December 2007
    Silverti wrote: »
    I’ll once again note that F1 said “#****@#$@ Computers” which of course leads to all the Mac guy saying “buy a Mac”. All we know, F1 could be talking about a Mac.
    I said "buy a Mac". Just FYI - I have a PC not a Mac. I understand where F1 is coming from having heard about some of his past problems w/ PC's. As a frustrated PC user, if / when I have the funds, I'll buy myself a Mac. My $.02. YMMV.
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • jmwest1970
    jmwest1970 Posts: 846
    edited December 2007
    I'm a firm believer that people should have to take a test before they can buy a computer. This would eliminate most of the DFUs that install garbage software from doing so and causing most of the PC problems that are talked about. Give 'em all a test and if you don't pass you don't get a computer.
  • Systems
    edited December 2007
    jmwest1970 wrote: »
    I'm a firm believer that people should have to take a test before they can buy a computer. This would eliminate most of the DFUs that install garbage software from doing so and causing most of the PC problems that are talked about. Give 'em all a test and if you don't pass you don't get a computer.

Here is a good test. Give them an HP printer install disk and see if they simply install the driver or the driver and the 30 worthless programs HP throws on the PC that screw it up :)
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    edited December 2007
    I love my Mac, I just can't play games anymore. But you can have OS X and XP on the same computer, so there won't be a need to switch back, you can have both and pick whichever one you feel like using at the time.
  • markmarc
    markmarc Posts: 2,309
    edited December 2007
    Silverti:
    I'm with you on all the crap that families download on their computer. I made some good beer money off of nuke and repaving efforts from student families to rid their PC's of crapola. But, personal experience with XP confirms to me that the tenticles still exist in ridiculous levels, even with quality code. I believe it's the nature of the beast. Maybe someday the 10K codewriters for M$ will give us an OS as cleanly written as the BeOS from many moons ago, true multi-tasking from the beginning. As for games, the Mac has never been a gaming machine.

As for Vista, I don't believe it can be fairly judged for another 18-24 months. processor speed needs to catch up to it's capabilities. I remember people screaming how slow XP was in the beginning, even with a tricked out machine of the times.

But it's interesting to note that Apple has a large selection of shareware/freeware listed with links on their website for owners to try out.
    Review Site_ (((AudioPursuit)))
    Founder/Publisher Affordable$$Audio 2006-13.
    Former Staff Member TONEAudio
    2 Ch. System
    Amplifiers: Parasound Halo P6 pre, Vista Audio i34, Peachtree amp500, Adcom GFP-565 GFA-535ii, 545ii, 555ii
    Digital: SimAudio HAD230 DAC, iMac 20in/Amarra,
    Speakers: Paradigm Performa F75, Magnepan .7, Totem Model 1's, ACI Emerald XL, Celestion Si Stands. Totem Dreamcatcher sub
    Analog: Technics SL-J2 w/Pickering 3000D, SimAudio LP5.3 phono pre
    Cable/Wires: Cardas, AudioArt, Shunyata Venom 3
  • Bamadude
    Bamadude Posts: 245
    edited December 2007
    deltree c:\windows
    AVR: Pioneer VSX-84TXSi (RIP - lightening) / Amp: Sunfire Cinema Grand / Klipsh R-10B Sounbar, LC65fx / Sub: Elemental Designs LT/1300 / TV: Panasonic TH-50PH9UK /SIZE]
  • obieone
    obieone Posts: 5,077
    edited December 2007
    jmwest1970 wrote: »

The only problem with that is, then no one would LEARN to use a pc, OR we'd ALL have to be as competent as the IT people. In which case there wouldn't be a NEED for IT people.
    Trust me when I say I feel your pain- I work in industrial/ commercial HVAC- and I hate when ****'s set the tstat too low or turn it off and THEN PUT IN A F**kin' service call, That is 6 Hours round trip from my house, ON A WEEKEND!
    I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!
  • Systems
    edited December 2007
    Its a common joke in the IT industry that most users kind of expect computers to do everything for them. They expect it to do the oddest thing and be designed to work the way they expect it to at any given time even though such mind reading tasks are almost impossible on a computer. We find that dealing with people on things such as this they probably want the "one" button. You turn your PC on and press the "one" button and it fires up your email, writes it up for you and sends it while you watch. Every task should have the "one" button such as Word, pressing the One button formats the document exactly as you expect it to be formatted and corrects all of your spelling and grammar the way you expected it to be written. I think it’s true that Apple has developed the "One" button mentality better the M$. But, neither has developed the mind reading ability that breaks all laws of compute physics to get tasks done. I've been trying to explain to users on my NAS drives for years why they cant have a file or directory path that’s longer then 256 characters for years and none have accepted it and continually ask "why not"... referring to the 500000 files that are up there on one of them now :)
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited December 2007
    Airplay355 wrote: »
    I love my Mac, I just can't play games anymore. But you can have OS X and XP on the same computer, so there won't be a need to switch back, you can have both and pick whichever one you feel like using at the time.

The reason you can now run XP on your Mac is because they are no longer using proprietary hardware. And yet, they're still charging you for it? Macs are like Bose to me.... all name, no substance.
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited December 2007
    nadams wrote: »
    The reason you can now run XP on your Mac is because they are no longer using proprietary hardware. And yet, they're still charging you for it? Macs are like Bose to me.... all name, no substance.

I wouldn't say NO substance, I'd say.... less substance than they charge for. I'm not a mac guy at all, but people who switch really do enjoy the experience, so they're giving you something. I think most of that is a) pretty looks, and b) a better UI (OSX vs Windows).
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.