Snow

Comments

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,982
    edited December 2007
    That's freakin' hilarious nms! LMAO!!!
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    edited December 2007
    DSC00515.jpg

Pretty!

We had snow, followed by freezing rain, which laid down a thick coat of ice over everything, until it warmed up a little, rained, melted some ice, and today got some small flurries but no accumulation.

Weird weather is right.
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • nms
    nms Posts: 671
    edited December 2007
    Haha, good one. This one is better though:
    http://www.craigslist.org/about/best/sfo/497575004.html

Zombie sex wins.....always.

Yeah, I just saw that one, but I didn't think to post it here, but the snow one related.

There are some weird people in the world!
    My system

"The world is an ever evolving clusterf*ck." --treitz3
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,315
    edited December 2007
    I wish we had Snow,we've been plagued with ICE in the Midwest...We haven't been without power,but there are 1000's who have been since Monday and it doesn't look very promising that power will be restored any time soon.

A lot of areas look as if they have been hit by a Tornado...MAJOR damage.
  • nms
    edited December 2007
    I wish we had Snow,we've been plagued with ICE in the Midwest...We haven't been without power,but there are 1000's who have been since Monday and it doesn't look very promising that power will be restored any time soon.

A lot of areas look as if they have been hit by a Tornado...MAJOR damage.

NC had one of those several years ago. We were without power for about 2 weeks. We had to get water for the toilets from a nearby creek! And when you went down there you'd hear huge tree limbs breaking off all around you with a huge CRACK! You just hoped none of the ones above you came off! :eek:
    My system

• lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,788
    edited December 2007
    I remember that one, nms. Three solid weeks of tree cuttin and pole settin'! No days off and sleeping(napping) in the trucks. 18 on and 6 off..yeah right! And for you folks in the mid-west, the line crews are on their way. I'll probably be out there just after Christmas to lend a hand. And it's a balmy 74 degrees outside now....SUCKAAAAAAAAZZZZ!:p:p:D
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited December 2007
    lightman1 wrote: »
    I remember that one, nms. Three solid weeks of tree cuttin and pole settin'! No days off and sleeping(napping) in the trucks. 18 on and 6 off..yeah right! And for you folks in the mid-west, the line crews are on their way. I'll probably be out there just after Christmas to lend a hand. And it's a balmy 74 degrees outside now....SUCKAAAAAAAAZZZZ!:p:p:D

I don't think the folks in the midwest can see your posts.....since many are still without power. :(
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,315
    edited December 2007

What sucks soo bad up here is that the night temps are in the low-mid 20's...Freakin Cold when you don't a furnace or other heat source...Buuuurrrrr
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,788
    edited December 2007
    :p^^^^^^^ Some do! So there! ^^^^:p
    He's one of the lucky ones. Hang in there Mike!
  • nms
    edited December 2007

And hey, I just remembered, speaking of chainsaws, my dad developed chronic tendinitis in his elbow from cutting up a tree with a too-small electric chainsaw. It still bugs him to this day. Shortly after he bought a "real" chainsaw! :D
    My system

• bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited December 2007
    Just got home from work. Once I heard the horror stories I decided to wait it out. Good thing. Hung at work until ~7:30, went to a local bar for a couple of hours with a coworker friend of mine, and then just drove home. Took me about an hour to do what usually takes 40 mins, not bad at all.

Just talked to some other friends of mine. Two of them have about a half hour commute usually, dependign on traffic, but they both live near the city.

Took them both over SIX HOURS to get home.

SIX.

I can't even imagine, I would go absolutely insnae.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • BaggedLancer
    edited December 2007
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    Just got home from work. Once I heard the horror stories I decided to wait it out. Good thing. Hung at work until ~7:30, went to a local bar for a couple of hours with a coworker friend of mine, and then just drove home. Took me about an hour to do what usually takes 40 mins, not bad at all.

Just talked to some other friends of mine. Two of them have about a half hour commute usually, dependign on traffic, but they both live near the city.

Took them both over SIX HOURS to get home.

SIX.

I can't even imagine, I would go absolutely insnae.

Took my friend 6 as well to get from Allston to my little town.(25 minutes normally)
  • John in MA
    John in MA Posts: 1,010
    edited December 2007
    I went out with the snowblower before dinner to clear the first 6", then again at 10pm to clear the second 6". My driveway and walk, the neighbor's driveway, and the street in front of my house.

You guys in snow-free zones are missing out on a lot of fun. Like one of my other hobbies, these photos taken since 2001: http://members.aol.com/gto69ra4/outdoor/all.html
  • BaggedLancer
    edited December 2007
    Neat, we used to have an Ariens 10/30 but the engine literally blew up. Now we have a new Ariens 10/24 and it's a monster of a thing. No issues with anything we've had so far since we bought it.
  • I-SIG
    I-SIG Posts: 2,238
    edited December 2007
    We got our first real snow here in southern Arizona earlier this week.

Wes
    Link: http://polkarmy.com/forums

Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK 42" HDTV | Polk Audio SDA-SRS's (w/RDO's & Vampire Posts) + SVS PC+ 25-31 | AudioQuest Granite (mids) + BWA Silver (highs) | Cary Audio CAD-200 | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Wyred 4 Sound STP/SE Pre | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Cambridge Audio azur 840C--Wadia 170i + iPod jammed w/ lossless audio--Oppo 970 | Pure|AV PF31d
  • nms
    edited December 2007
    You guys in snow-free zones are missing out on a lot of fun. Like one of my other hobbies, these photos taken since 2001: http://members.aol.com/gto69ra4/outdoor/all.html

Think you have enough flashlights?!?!? :eek:
    EDIT: To preserve board formatting you must now click the link to see John's enormous flashlight collection.:
    http://members.aol.com/gto69ra4/photos/lights8.jpg
    My system

• nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited December 2007
    One can never have too many flashlights once the power goes out.
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • bobman1235
    edited December 2007
    nadams wrote: »
    One can never have too many flashlights

I wouldn't have thought so either, but now I'm not so sure.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,982
    edited December 2007
    I remember that one, nms.
    How could one forget? That storm wiped out around 300 bucks worth of fish because our living room was a chilling 42 degrees. 2 and 1/2 weeks before electricity came back on. A kerosene heater? Ha! I had to drive up close to the Virginia border to find one and I was waiting as they unloaded the truck. The entire lot of 48 heaters sold in about 5 minutes.

You ever tried to take a shower in 42 degrees and no hot water? :eek: Did I say :eek:!!! DAMN that was not pleasant to say the least. That's the last time I will EVER be unprepared. I'm now stocked up with plenty of food, a generator, kerosene heater and a gas fireplace. I would say that storm was definitely one of the worst times in my life. Couldn't even go to a relatives house because they were all in the same situation and I couldn't leave town due to work having a backup generator and they basically said...you don't show up, you are fired. I quit that spring to start my own company.

So yeah, I remember that storm. It changed my life.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • John in MA
    edited December 2007
    nms wrote: »
    Think you have enough flashlights?!?!? :eek:

You might want to edit out that photo, it's **** up the board width. I can post a small one if you'd like.

That's actually fairly out of date. Since then the pile has grown. I have what I believe is the largest collection of vintage police flashlights in the world, 1968-1984.
  • nms
    edited December 2007
    My system

• jflail2
    jflail2 Posts: 2,868
    edited December 2007
    Holy crap at the mag light grave yard. Nice collection man!
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
  • tommyboy
    tommyboy Posts: 1,414
    edited December 2007
    Speaking of ice stroms, check this out...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=aUgcFiLA0_o
    AVR: H/K AVR240
    Fronts: Monitor 50s
    Center: CSI3
    surrounds: R15s
    Sub:Velodyne DPS10
    Dvd/Cd: Samsung HD upconverter (for now)
    TV: 50" Sammy Plasma
    game hardware: 360 and gcn.
    Gamertag: kovster27
  • bobman1235
    edited December 2007
    tommyboy wrote: »
    Speaking of ice stroms, check this out...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=aUgcFiLA0_o

Wow, I could watch that all day.
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,600
    edited December 2007
    I had an icestrom like that the last year I lived up North. I was in upstate Ney York and had no power for 10 days. Freezing rain made the street in my neighborhood like someone dumped out a big can of lincoln logs.
    All I heard all night were creaks and the dropping of banches and trees.
    Same thing, work had power, and you better be there.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • nms
    edited December 2007
    Billiards anyone? :D
    My system

• Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited December 2007
    John in MA wrote: »
    The first snowblower on your page, I have one in my garage. The carb needs to be rebuilt. Is it worth it, or should I get a new one?
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • John in MA
    edited December 2007
    Depends. If you can do the work yourself, a carb kit is about $10 and that'll get the machine going again. If a shop does it you're probably looking at an hour or two of labor charge.

Personally, if I had the money for a replacement I'd sell it for $25 on Craigslist and never look back. It's singularly the worst snowblower I've ever owned and they have no parts support these days. You can buy a used 8/24 Ariens for around $300 in very good condition that'll last another 30 years and be ten times the machine this one is.
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited December 2007
    LOL! I have a friend who's interested in the motor. I guess it's time to go shopping for a new snowblower. Thanks for the response.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • BaggedLancer
    edited December 2007
    Face wrote: »
    LOL! I have a friend who's interested in the motor. I guess it's time to go shopping for a new snowblower. Thanks for the response.

Buy one that eats small children......