Why I Don't Watch The News...

wingnut4772
wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
edited December 2007 in The Clubhouse
Today I have my first day off in two weeks so tonight I sit down and watch the news. Something I never do and tonight I was reminded why because in the half hour I learned:

Salt is killing us all and there is too much of it in our diets!:eek:

Working the night shift causes cancer.:eek:

The economy will get worse in 2008.:eek:

Black women do not get the same treatent as white women when in the ER.:eek:

and on and on....

To think they fill every night of the week with these types of shocking revelations. No wonder everyone is worried and panicked and stressed.
Sharp Elite 70
Anthem D2V 3D
Parasound 5250
Parasound HCA 1000 A
Parasound HCA 1000
Oppo BDP 95
Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
Totem Mask Surrounds X4
Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
Sony PS3
Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
Post edited by wingnut4772 on

Comments

• janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited November 2007
    Yup, time to put the music on or watch a good movie.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • McLoki
    McLoki Posts: 5,231
    edited November 2007
    That is why I NEVER watch the news. I figure if it is something I need to know - I will read about it here....
    Mains.............Polk LSi15 (Cherry)
    Center............Polk LSiC (Crossover upgraded)
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
    Subwoofers.....SVS 25-31 CS+ and PC+ (both 20hz tune)
    Pre\Pro...........NAD T163 (Modded with LM4562 opamps)
    Amplifier.........Cinepro 3k6 (6-channel, 500wpc@4ohms)
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited November 2007
    Yup.

Everything is killing us, everybody is killing each other and the poor and minorities are hardest hit. The usual lineup of news stories.

I stay away from the news myself. I prefer to enjoy life rather than be depressed over the end of the world which is apparently right around the corner.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • wingnut4772
    edited November 2007
    Well if the Law of Attraction is valid, the news media will cause the planet to explode any day now!:eek::p
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

• rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited November 2007
    I learned (on this forum) that the same group of people who own the media also own the banks and also own a little sliver of democracy in the Middle East. And, it is impossible to get elected (or, maintain your elected position) without the backing of the banks and the media. And, lastly, all news is subjective to both interpretation and presentation.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,574
    edited November 2007
    I never turn on the TV or watch the news...

My Mom is all about it man

She thinks my stereo is going to cause the house to blow up, plastic bowls cause cancer if used in the microwave -- all kinds of weird BS...
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Serendipity
    Serendipity Posts: 6,975
    edited November 2007
    I never turn on the TV or watch the news...

My Mom is all about it man

She thinks my stereo is going to cause the house to blow up, plastic bowls cause cancer if used in the microwave -- all kinds of weird BS...

Plastic bowls are carcinogenic when put in the microwave, that's a scientific study, not weird BS...
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,574
    edited November 2007
    Yeah

If I die of cancer caused by plastic bowls in the microwave --

I'll let you know
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Serendipity
    Serendipity Posts: 6,975
    edited November 2007
    Yeah

If I die of cancer caused by plastic bowls in the microwave --

I'll let you know

haha
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!
  • AndyGwis
    AndyGwis Posts: 3,655
    edited November 2007
    I learned recently that if my computer starts freezing, and I hit the delete button, C4 will surely blow up my apartment. And, when in doubt, drive fast, shoot often, hit hard, and jump from as high up as I want onto concrete and all will be fine.

The entire US is controlled by a huge system of computers, and that national system can be hacked 99% hacked from a laptop, floppy keyboard, and wifi. A single laptop can hold 500 TB of information, if you run the right compression software, and it can be downloaded via firewire in a couple hours.
    Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
    Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited November 2007
    And hairdryers cause cancer as well. I guess I will never have to worry about that one. :D
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited November 2007
    My He-Man Rig sounds better to me if I have a mouthful of salt.
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited November 2007
    You're on a roll today George. :D
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited November 2007
    I haven't watched the news in several years, I never plan to ever watch it again, it's pointless and uninformative, a waste of time.

Heck it's been almost 2 years since I've had a TV. No news, no good TV shows = no TV.
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited November 2007
  • MrNightly
    MrNightly Posts: 3,370
    edited November 2007
    Ron-P wrote: »
    I haven't watched the news in several years, I never plan to ever watch it again, it's pointless and uninformative, a waste of time.

Heck it's been almost 2 years since I've had a TV. No news, no good TV shows = no TV.

Nice man. I have never had TV in five years of marriage, until this past few months, Cable offered me free cable for a year. I said, what the heck... why not. Man, I haven't missed a thing. I don't watch movie's on TV, because I HATE commercials, News is so biased and lame, what's the point? Really, the only good thing about TV is sports.. and even that is shadowed sometimes. Crazy.

Oh well... March Madness will come in very clear this year :D
    Honoured to be, an original SOPA founding member
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    SVS PB12-NSD/2 - sub :D:D:D
    Denon 3805
    Rotel RB-985 5-Channel Amplifier

• joeparaski
    joeparaski Posts: 1,865
    edited November 2007
    Yep, same here, I'm in the NO T.V. camp....I never watch t.v. My wife does, but not much. I'll be calling the cable company to cut t.v. service completely, I'm not sure why I still have it and wasted so much money for it, but enough is enough, and my wife is cool about that. All I need is my internet and some DVD movies and music videos. But I do listen to the news when driving to work in the morning.

Joe
    Amplifiers: 1-SAE Mark IV, 4-SAE 2400, 1-SAE 2500, 2-SAE 2600, 1-Buttkicker BKA 1000N w/2-tactile transducers. Sources: Sony BDP CX7000es, Sony CX300/CX400/CX450/CX455, SAE 8000 tuner, Akai 4000D R2R, Technics 1100A TT, Epson 8500UB with Carada 100". Speakers:Polk SDA SRS, 3.1TL, FXi5, FXi3, 2-SVS 20-29, Yamaha, SVS center sub. Power:2-Monster HTS3500, Furman M-8D & RR16 Plus. 2-SAE 4000 X-overs, SAE 5000a noise reduction, MSB Link DAC III, MSB Powerbase, Behringer 2496, Monarchy DIP 24/96.
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited November 2007
    appadv wrote: »
    Plastic bowls are carcinogenic when put in the microwave, that's a scientific study, not weird BS...

Nearly everything is carcinogenic, it's all about quantity. Like that story about the butter flavor from microwave popcorn being carcinogenic. Seriously, aside from workers in the factory where they make the stuff, you'd choke on eating too much popcorn before you'd get cancer from it.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited November 2007
    I thought the news was just made up stories for kids to watch? You mean some of what they say is real?
  • fatchowmein
    fatchowmein Posts: 2,637
    edited November 2007
    I was a big Bloom County fan (old, not the new one) and there was one strip with the TV on announcing there was no news today followed by continuing report later about why there wasn't any news. That cracked me up.
  • phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited November 2007
    If you think that's bad, try watchin the international news!

Iran acts like a spoiled red-headed stepchild.
    The US system of government is failing.
    The Dollar is dead, dude.
    N. Korea is really really sorry that they were naughty. They won't do it again, they promise.
    There will be peace in the middle east... again... someday.. wait.. ZOMFGWTFBBQ LEBANON AGAIN?
    China kicks the US in the balls, US tries to walk it off. China points and laughs.
    More extremists blew themselves up today.
    They pissed off another group, who will blow themselves up tomorrow.
    Woah, Pakistan WHAT? They have NUKES too?
    Binladen is STILL alive.
    Global catastrophic financial meltdown, coming your way soon!
    Australians hate W. so much they voted out their own president!
    France is burning, AGAIN!
    The collapse of the USSR was just a ploy to allow Russia to regroup and reorganize.
    Another coup attempt failed/succeeded in some small country that nobody really cares about anyway.

Of course the slant always depends on whether you're watching CNNi, Al Jazeera, or Euronews. Then there's the AFN news channel which basically makes everything sound peachy and gives warm fuzzies inside.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited November 2007
    Today I have my first day off in two weeks so tonight I sit down and watch the news. Something I never do and tonight I was reminded why because in the half hour I learned:

and on and on....

To think they fill every night of the week with these types of shocking revelations. No wonder everyone is worried and panicked and stressed.

easy solution..

don't eat salt, it will kill you :p

only work dayshift or it will kill you ;)

the economy won't be any worse in 2008 than it was in 2007, which was a pretty good year IMHO :)

I can't speak for black or white women in the ER. Just avoid the ER all together. :p

see, don't you feel better knowing that? :confused::eek::p

I agree though. you can't watch the news or read the newspaper every day.. it'll kill you ;)
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited November 2007
    eh, I mute the tV volume, kick the tunes on and watch the bubble headed bleach on,,,,,,she's on at five......she can tell you about the..............with a wink in her eye.

I think the weather girl should wear a bikini when she does her stick.

RT1
  • wingnut4772
    edited November 2007
    eh, I mute the tV volume, kick the tunes on and watch the bubble headed bleach on,,,,,,she's on at five......she can tell you about the..............with a wink in her eye.

RT1

..kick 'em when they're up. Kick 'em when they're down.:D
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

• disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited November 2007

and on and on....

We're all going to die Vote Democrat ;)

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• disneyjoe7
    edited November 2007
    She thinks my stereo is going to cause the house to blow up

Your mom as good sense, I also think your stereo is going to cause your house to blow up ;)

Or least glow at night. :eek:

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited November 2007

RT1
    http://nakednews.com/ ;)
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,600
    edited November 2007
    What ever happened to the news being the news? 90% of it
    anymore is fluff. Either stuff you already know(common sense)
    or cheap WTF filler about someone doing something stupid.
    Cable news networks left the big three trying to hard for ratings.
    A dumb college girl goes on a drinking bindge and ends up murdered.
    Sad, but not earth shattering. Six months later, It's still in the damn news.
    They blow the smallest thing up to fill time. Who cares. If it was really important,
    they'd bury it on page 4 of the newspaper. Spears's
    custody battle ends up front page.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • disneyjoe7
    edited November 2007
    That's why I like talk radio, I can imagine them any way I like. Cloth unclothed whatever.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited November 2007
    sucks2beme wrote: »
    What ever happened to the news being the news? 90% of it
    anymore is fluff. Either stuff you already know(common sense)
    or cheap WTF filler about someone doing something stupid.
    Cable news networks left the big three trying to hard for ratings.
    A dumb college girl goes on a drinking bindge and ends up murdered.
    Sad, but not earth shattering. Six months later, It's still in the damn news.
    They blow the smallest thing up to fill time. Who cares. If it was really important,
    they'd bury it on page 4 of the newspaper. Spears's
    custody battle ends up front page.

All the news shows that showed (a few still kinda do) "real" news didn't get good ratings. It's still a business, and the people have spoken - they don't care about real news. Sad.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.