Vista users, how ya like it?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,394
    edited January 2008
    bottom line is this. pc, or mac, they are both extremely user friendly. it's not that hard to use. true, both sides of the world has its problems, but not having to deal with pc based spam, popups, etc etc.. did i mention viruses? anyhow, mac is very stable, user friendly and offers all the software that you would need.

on a side note. polkmaniac, sorry if i confused you. i just did not want to use too much computer terminology, keeping it simple. however, try this. rip a blue ray movie, or get hd video and run it on your computer. do the benchmarks, no forget benchmarks. just do it. cpu, ram, etc.. you will find that osx based uses ram much more then cpu usage, thus free to truly multitask. i could go into numbers, if u will, but pc simply maxes out the cpu!!

going back to vista, osx is just as easy to use. except, once again, you do not have to deal with antispam, blah blah blah.. mac's simply do not get it.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited January 2008
    one more thing, polkmaniac.. mac, does not load the entire movie into ram. do you have any idea how large the file size is of a ripped out blue ray hd movie? average user does not have 20 plus gigs of ram!!! companies use mac, not pc for video editing hmm.. i wonder why?
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,725
    edited January 2008
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited January 2008
    I think you should try getting a reign on the English language before you worry about dazzling us with computer technology. But that's just me.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited January 2008
    Polkmaniac wrote:
    wow ...

Whoa.... You're getting way too technical.....:rolleyes:

I appears someone has been into the Mac kool-aid again.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • [Deleted User]
    edited January 2008
    Lets not get into the racial thing mr bobman1235. I was merely leaving input for the original question of this thread. The intent of such, and you now knowing, was not intended to provoke tensions in an unprofessional manner. "But that's just me" bobman1235. I am sorry, was that correctly used grammar?

All things aside. If you like Vista, go for it. It appears this thread has exceeded its purpose of information, biased and not.
  • SKsolutions
    SKsolutions Posts: 1,820
    edited January 2008
    swing. . . . and a miss.
    -Ignorance is strength -
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited January 2008
    Word on the street is that Service Pack 1 for Vista is out. I would't mind hearing some feedback once you guys have had some time with it.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited January 2008
    Interesting, I'll have to check it out...
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited January 2008
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Bamadude
    Bamadude Posts: 245
    edited January 2008
    c1p1-full.jpg
    AVR: Pioneer VSX-84TXSi (RIP - lightening) / Amp: Sunfire Cinema Grand / Klipsh R-10B Sounbar, LC65fx / Sub: Elemental Designs LT/1300 / TV: Panasonic TH-50PH9UK /SIZE]
  • tbyrne
    tbyrne Posts: 43
    edited January 2008
    NG for me. Apple here I come!
  • shack
    edited January 2008
    My wife got a new laptop with Vista Home (against my advice) and I am not particularly impressed. This thing is definitely a power hog. She got a 2G dual core processor and 2G of RAM... and I'm not sure it is enough. I've already gone through it and got rid of a bunch of stuff that was running in the background and it still takes too long (IMO) to boot up. We were having some DSL connectivity issues and the tech at my ISP said they really liked Vista because it was the first MS OS that had wireless protocols built into the system rather than as an afterthough. As turns out the vista system was not able to restack some of the wireless drivers when put into sleep or hibernate so even though it was connected to the router, IE could not connect to the internet. I think a driver update fixed the problem. We will see.

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,447
    edited January 2008
    I've been running Vista for about a month now, it's much better than XP ever was.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited January 2008
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,765
    edited January 2008
    The pic below should provide some insight. Shortly after my new Dell XPS M1330 laptop arrived, I wiped off Vista Ultimate and installed XP Pro.

When the M1330 first came out last summer, Dell took a hard line against supporting machines that had been downgraded from Vista to XP. Some people went to other vendors (like Sony Vaio). Other people bought the M1330, but didn't get the extended warranty since Dell said they weren't going to support downgraded machines anyway...no warranty support...no XP drivers...no nothing. It didn't take long before Dell wised up and did a 180...money, or lack thereof, talks. Now Dell has posted the driver set for people wishing to downgrade to XP and they have backed off the "no warranty for XP downgraded machines" BS. They also posted step-by-step instructions for downgrading on their support forum.

A lot of my software won't run on Vista and some that does run on Vista (like Matlab) does so at a snails pace.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,185
    edited January 2008
    Had my Imac since August 07, no a single problem. Got a Mac Mini for my son and it runs like a champ even playin WOW online. Both the wife and I got iphones for christmas and we both couldn't be happier.
    We are now talking about getting mac notebooks. We couldn't be happier with Apple with all there products. Even our 2 ipods are excellent. I'll never go back to windows.

Dan
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Bill Ayotte
    Bill Ayotte Posts: 1,860
    edited January 2008
    mantis wrote: »
    Had my Imac since August 07, no a single problem. Got a Mac Mini for my son and it runs like a champ even playin WOW online. Both the wife and I got iphones for christmas and we both couldn't be happier.
    We are now talking about getting mac notebooks. We couldn't be happier with Apple with all there products. Even our 2 ipods are excellent. I'll never go back to windows.

Dan

I love my Macbook pro, and just upgraded to Leopard with no issues. Take a look at the black macbook, a lot better value than the white, and the white scratches like a ****.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited January 2008
    I hate Apple. I'll never own an Apple product. This is unfortunate for me, since I'm an ATT customer. Since they're really backing the iPhone, they don't carry another device that's similar to it.

It sucks for me since I like the concept so much, but I'm sticking to my guns on this one - I'll not buy another product from Apple.
  • shack
    edited January 2008
    When the M1330 first came out last summer, Dell took a hard line against supporting machines that had been downgraded from Vista to XP. Some people went to other vendors (like Sony Vaio). Other people bought the M1330, but didn't get the extended warranty since Dell said they weren't going to support downgraded machines anyway...no warranty support...no XP drivers...no nothing. It didn't take long before Dell wised up and did a 180...money, or lack thereof, talks. Now Dell has posted the driver set for people wishing to downgrade to XP and they have backed off the "no warranty for XP downgraded machines" BS. They also posted step-by-step instructions for downgrading on their support forum.

Dell has also started selling home and small business machines with XP and XP Pro again due to customer demand. Guess what? All the "deals" are the machines with Vista loaded. You have to pay more to get either version of XP. What does that say about Vista?

• DarqueKnight
    edited January 2008
    shack wrote: »
    My wife got a new laptop with Vista Home (against my advice) and I am not particularly impressed. This thing is definitely a power hog. She got a 2G dual core processor and 2G of RAM... and I'm not sure it is enough.

My M1330 is maxed out with 4G of RAM and has a 2.2 GHz dual core processor and 7200 rpm HDD. It still took Vista Ultimate 3 min 40 sec to boot. It now boots Xp Pro in 55 sec and runs my apps FAST.
  • SKsolutions
    SKsolutions Posts: 1,820
    edited January 2008
    Backgraded, 2 gig, Dual core laptop. Vista turns laptops into desktop replacements. The added heat is a killer too. She's nice and quiet now, fan doesn't even come on.
    -Ignorance is strength -
  • F1nut
    edited January 2008
    What's all this long boot time talk? This thing here boots fast, faster than XP ever did. I haven't timed it, but definitely under 60 seconds.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• DarqueKnight
    edited January 2008
    You're one of the lucky few. There is a reason why lots, maybe most, corporate and academic IT directors are avoiding Vista.;)
  • F1nut
    edited January 2008
    I'll be lucky :D.

I had heard and read a lot of negative info on Vista, but then again I recall a lot of the same negative comments when XP first came out.

Anyway, my father got Vista and is happy with it. I checked his out and it seemed ok to me, so when a new computer became necessary I decided to get one with Vista and have yet to see a down side.

President of Club Polk

• trubluluc
    trubluluc Posts: 2,067
    edited January 2008
    I have Vista Ultimate and I have been very pleased with it.
    I have a new computer with a fast processor and plenty of ram that came preloaded with vista.
    I think the biggest complaints are from people trying to load it on older computers.
    Although there are legitimate issues with compatibility of some peripherals.
    But face it, Vista will be here for quite awhile.
    Microsoft spent 6 years developing it, longer than any other OS. And they say Microsoft 7 won't be here until 2010 or 2011.
    Of course they said Vista would be ready in 2005, but took an extra 2 years in development. It is ahead of its time in many ways,
    ( addressing security issues) and that is the cause of much of the reluctance to its acceptance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Vista
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited January 2008
    Have I mentioned Vista SUCKS!!!
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • PhantomOG
    PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
    edited January 2008
    I use the hibernate function on my laptop with Vista. Turning it on takes about 5-6 seconds. Haven't needed to reboot for a few weeks.
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited January 2008
    Polkmaniac wrote: »
    I hate Apple. I'll never own an Apple product. This is unfortunate for me, since I'm an ATT customer. Since they're really backing the iPhone, they don't carry another device that's similar to it.

It sucks for me since I like the concept so much, but I'm sticking to my guns on this one - I'll not buy another product from Apple.

Out of curiousity, why? The only thing I'll say against Apple is they are expensive as all hell, but if you have the means/need -- they're very worth it. If you don't need it, money is better spent on a PC, IMO.

I bought the 17" MacBook Pro with a glossy screen and 4 gigs of ram. I love it. It's one of the best tools I have available to me and it makes things faster and more simple.

I do all of my graphic design stuff on my Mac and it definitely is better than all of my PCs for that stuff.

In the long run, I do actually use my work PC (XP Pro) and home PC (Vista) far more than my Mac because I don't edit video and do design work all day long.

I don't know, maybe I am rare in that I don't feel the need to overly bash Mac or PC. They both have their place and the PC is far more customizable than a Mac. A Mac is so much more user friendly, especially when it comes to their Mac specific applications. So listening to the Mac people with their hard-ons over Mac products is annoying, just as much as it is to the PC crowd saying how much the Macs blow. They both have their place.

demimacpc2.jpg

demimacpc1.jpg
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited January 2008
    shack wrote: »
    Dell has also started selling home and small business machines with XP and XP Pro again due to customer demand. Guess what? All the "deals" are the machines with Vista loaded. You have to pay more to get either version of XP. What does that say about Vista?

Dell (HP, etc.) is all but required to keep selling XP machines for businesses because we don't upgrade as often as the consumer market does. They did the same thing when XP came out and it makes plenty of sense. It would be nearly impossible for most businesses to do system and peripheral overhauls every time a new OS was released from a financial standpoint alone.

It's not a mark against Vista, but a way to avoid alienating business customers for which Windows XP is still the current computing standard.