Old Truck v. New Truck Styling

Comments

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,980
    edited November 2007
    I personally like the way the new Chevy's look...
    Boy, I don't. I think Chevy screwed up on the latest year design. WTF is up with the 3 part metal/plastic bumper if the front? I drive a Chevy 2500HD Pickumuptruck....well Trey, you've seen it, and that is the last Chevy truck I would own until they came out with something that I wouldn't be embarrassed to drive. I was gonna trade in, but saw them and decided real quick I'm happy with what I have. We still need to race! :p:D

As for old school -vs- new school, I like the interiors of the new, but the exterior of the old. For some reason, they just look more like how a truck should look to me. Plus, you could scromp on the hood of an older truck' hood, but you can't even flick your finger at the new trucks without denting them.

BTW, 83,000 miles and no engine or tranny prob's. Just warrantee work and new tires and I only paid 18,4 out the door. Taxes, title, tags and all. Not bad at all for a brand spankin' new truck. :D
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,574
    edited November 2007
    I think you'd beat me...

It was hard to keep up with you in traffic... ;)

Now if I had my 91, I'd of been right there with you, if not worse...

Once you add on a back seat to a truck... you gain some crazy as hell blind spots... LOL

In my 91, I could weave in and out of traffic like no ones business..
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,980
    edited November 2007
    Ahhh, I was just razzin' ya'. That was fun driving back from PF! :D
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • shadowofnight
    shadowofnight Posts: 2,735
    edited November 2007
    MattN03 wrote: »
    Nice looking truck, but compared to the Big 3, the rear axle in a Titan is a joke. It looks like it came out of my 4 banger Ranger...

Have there been many problems (breakage) in the rear end of these trucks?

Actually the pinion/ring gears and axle shafts in the dana 44 based axle/diff is really strong....where the problem existed was in the spider gears of the diff itself....they couldnt handle the horsepower and were on occasion failing.

They have since gone from a 2 spider design to a 4 spider design and no more problems were observed. For me it didnt matter...I replaced the entire differential with a Truetrac limited slip http://www.eaton.com/EatonCom/ProductsServices/PerformanceProducts/Products/Differentials/DetroitTruetrac/index.htm ...which replaces EVERYTHING except the very strong pinion/ring gears assy.
    The first rule of Fight Club is you don't talk about Fight Club
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 5,150
    edited November 2007
    Well, I'm a little anxious to chime in here with you boys, but here goes nothin'! We have a 1994 K1500 Silverado (needed the electric seats for the wife to see out properly) Z-71 tow package that now has 200,000 miles, including drives from coast to coast and north to south towing a horse in a steel trailer. I don't know about now, but at the time, no "import" could tow a thoroughbred American (tempermental) in an all steel (heavy) trailer safely, so Chevy it was. Actually, I have yet to meet a serious rider that will drive an "import" to tow their horse, but that may just be habit or something (until it catches on, maybe, if there are any real benefits).

I like a truck to be a working truck, not just a toy or show piece, but I do like the comfy interiors of new trucks for long hauls (as long as they are practical and hard wearing) and they seem to have a quality finish (like Vr3MxStyler2k3's interior pix) for the most part anyway. I also like the 4 speed transmissions instead of just 3 with overdrive (which you can't use when you tow). Driving 65 mph towing in third gear is just not right somehow, and certainly doesn't help the old MPG at $3.25 per gallon, especially if you have to change down to 2nd for a long climb on the freeway. As far as the outside goes, I think too much attention is being paid to form, not function in the most recent models. Again, that is because I think a truck should be able to work efficiently and conveniently. Step sides can be useful for grabbing hay from the back in the rain and mud, not just a gimmick.

Our truck is dirty and muddy frequently (our 4x4 was required, not desired) but she goes fine and we'll probably keep her for a while because a new one with the same specifications is pushing $40K or thereabouts and I need money for my Polks! I'm not convinced there's any real difference between Ford, Chevrolet and Dodge in terms of capability or intrinsical quality, and there are those that will swear to the contrary for each of the three I'll bet, but we'll probably stay with Chevrolet "for old times' sake"! Just my $0.02!

P.S. If anyone has upgraded the speakers on one of these to Polk Audio, I'ld love to know how they did it.

P.P.S. I know a Chevy fan that always signs his messages "I'ld rather push a Chevy than drive a Ford"! Not a reflection of reality in my opinion, but I thought it was cute!
    Alea jacta est!
  • hypertone
    hypertone Posts: 150
    edited November 2007
    New trucks are pretty gaudy looking on the outside imo. It is nice that manufacturers finally realized that just because it's a truck doesn't mean it shouldn't have some luxury and comfort, but the exteriors are just overstyled, to the point of being obnoxious or even comical. I remember a time when the people who bought trucks used them mainly for hauling or earning a living, now it seems like most truck buyers are office types who just want a huge vehicle. I don't quite understand it myself. They must be a **** to park.
  • VR3
    edited November 2007
    I use my truck as a truck about once a month...

Most of it is daily driving

I've drove many different cars/SUVs and so forth..

And a constant remains -- I hate them...

Now you say - why not a small truck...

Because I dont see the point in a small truck... might as well be a car!

Thats why I own a big truck... I dont really have any issues parking it - but granted, I'm the guy that parks at the end of the Walmart parking lot.... ;)
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited November 2007
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Trucks are supposed to be trucks... my '74 Bronco was a truck...

My 68, 71, 3 73's, 75 Broncos' were real trucks, and my 68 Sport still is:)
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,624
    edited November 2007
    I've seen a few of the new Tundra's out and about, and some look good, but most don't from what I've seen.

The personally don't mind a big grill, but not if the main looking part of the grill is the 4" wide chromed surround.........And the front end of the Dodge and Tundra looks the same shape with admustments in headlights, grille, but same bubbleish shape.......

From a quality perspective though, those Toyota's are VERY nice to ride in..........comfortable, quiet, and quick........
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited November 2007
    This may be a bit off topic..but one thing I can't get used to is the quad cab. I see the practical side of it...but I just can't get used to it. The extended cabs are bad enough, I'm a regular cab guy.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • VR3
    edited November 2007
    Having a regular cab before...

then going to an extended cab...

It will be pretty hard to go back to a regular cab..

The extra space is awesome - but the lack of space behind seats sucks... ah well

As for Crew Cabs, I like crew cabs - my Dad has a crew cab Titan, and its just... to big.. lol

Don't know what else to say lol - just a monsterous truck, something that big is just unndeeded! ;)
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited November 2007
    If you got **** to haul, that's what the bed is for.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • VR3
    edited November 2007
    Im talking like for a place to put straps, jumper cable, tire iron, etc etc etc
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited November 2007
    Kex wrote: »
    Our truck is dirty and muddy frequently (our 4x4 was required, not desired) but she goes fine and we'll probably keep her for a while because a new one with the same specifications is pushing $40K or thereabouts and I need money for my Polks! I'm not convinced there's any real difference between Ford, Chevrolet and Dodge in terms of capability or intrinsical quality, and there are those that will swear to the contrary for each of the three I'll bet, but we'll probably stay with Chevrolet "for old times' sake"! Just my $0.02!
    Very nice looking truck! Dad has a teal green pickup of that same body style. Can't remember the exact year, though; 95 or 96? Those are probably my second favorite body style...but after looking at your pics...I might prefer it over the 99 - 03 style!
    Having a regular cab before...

then going to an extended cab...

It will be pretty hard to go back to a regular cab..

The extra space is awesome - but the lack of space behind seats sucks... ah well

As for Crew Cabs, I like crew cabs - my Dad has a crew cab Titan, and its just... to big.. lol

Don't know what else to say lol - just a monsterous truck, something that big is just unndeeded! ;)
    You NEEEEED a big cab. ;)
    Either for play:
    797217.jpg
    or work:
    suburbalanche.jpg
    So you don't have to do something like this:
    poormansuhal.jpg
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited November 2007
    I like the new Chevy Silverado, the wider fenders give you nice big tire options without having the tires look too big for the truck. they designed it to look right with big rims. 20" on, say, my 1991 GMC Sierra would look ridiculous to an extent, but look right at home on the new truck. Its just designing with trends in mind.

I like the Chevy design over all the new ones so far. I like the Tundra overall.

In terms of older trucks, I like em. allways did. becuase they were trucks meant to be used as trucks. plastic interiors? sure, but you could get a good truck for less than 35-40 grand.

remember when pick ups were actually trucks, and didnt have car interiors?

The 4th picture in trey's initial post is pretty much my interior. is it the flashiest interior?, no, but its simple and gets the job done.
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited November 2007
    TroyD wrote: »
    The extended cabs are bad enough, I'm a regular cab guy.

BDT

believe me dude, were a frikkin minority. I'm a regular cab guy myself. these quad cabs cant even fit a quad (atv) in them, how ridiculous is that?!?!
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    edited November 2007
    I'm a big fan of older ("older" to me is pre-1960) step side pickups and have owned many over the last 40 years. I haven't had a truck in the stable for nearly a decade now, but recently purchased a 2008 Dodge 1500 Ram Sport 4x4 as my retirement "honey do" vehicle.

I went with the Sport package to get all that chrome off the nose and rear of the truck, add leather heated buckets, 20" chrome clad aluminum wheels, and get the 5.7L multi-displacement hemi w/automatic and shift on demand transfer case. The tipping points for me while shopping were the lifetime powertrain warranty and curb appeal (without all the chrome, this truck does it for me.) It's an excellent ride, on par with my last 4x4 (actually AWD)--a 2002 Escalade, has power to spare, towing package if I need it, and I really enjoy the Sirius radio with digital player input and U-Connect (Bluetooth wireless cell phone interface).

Here's a glamour shot from the Dodge web site of the truck I selected.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,685
    edited November 2007
    My 68, 71, 3 73's, 75 Broncos' were real trucks, and my 68 Sport still is
    Cool enough! My '74 isn't still in the family, but I do know its current owner and it's still going stong.
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited November 2007
    Have you seen the new composite* beds Toyota has on the 07 Tacomas? They'll never rust.

*hardcore plastic
  • strider
    strider Posts: 2,568
    edited November 2007
    There is no way I could own a new truck. Way too much money for something that I'm going to beat the crap out of. Trucks need to have things thrown in their bed, be driven over curbs at 20mph, through rivers, etc to be happy.
    The styling of the new trucks is ok, but the older ones exude character. Gimme a Bronco I can take the top off of, anything with a solid front axle; I don't need 8 cupholders and a rear view camera. If I don't have a snowball's chance of fixing it when something breaks in the woods, I'm not real keen on driving it.
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited November 2007
    What nothing about Toyota 4Runners....

What are we a newer 70's Station Wagon?

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• strider
    strider Posts: 2,568
    edited November 2007
    disneyjoe7 wrote: »
    What nothing about Toyota 4Runners....

Heck no! One of my dream projects would be an '85 Runner. Only year to have a solid front axle and EFI. They also have the removeable top. The big challenge, especially in the northeast, is to find one that hasn't rusted to nothing. Bulletproof motor, tons of aftermarket parts, hmmm.....

Something along the lines of this
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,600
    edited November 2007
    Im talking like for a place to put straps, jumper cable, tire iron, etc etc etc

It's called a TOOLBOX. Big, chrome and diamond plated. NOT that cheap plastic crap they sell at Wallmart.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • Kex
    edited November 2007
    audiobliss wrote: »
    Very nice looking truck! Dad has a teal green pickup of that same body style. Can't remember the exact year, though; 95 or 96? Those are probably my second favorite body style...but after looking at your pics...I might prefer it over the 99 - 03 style! ...
    Thanks Dude! Green was our other color choice, but at the time, these trucks were hard to find with the options we needed and this was the first one we saw that had them (it had just been parked in the showroom that day) so we pounced on it (thanks to my clever hard nut wife, we still got a good deal though - the salesperson may have been intimidated by a gal doing the negociating for a truck!).

I prefer this style over the 99-03 too. I also prefer the 2008 to the 99-03, in some respects at least, but I haven't really looked that closely to be honest.
    Alea jacta est!
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited November 2007
    1953-

tn_med_IMAG0004.JPG

tn_med_IMAG0006.JPG

1978-

tn_med_100_1755.jpg

tn_med_100_1896.jpg

Real trucks can do real work.

My Ranger is a fake truck... but it does what I need it to do.
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • Kex
    edited November 2007
    nadams wrote: »
    ...Real trucks can do real work. ...
    Love the 1953! Love the "block brakes" feature too (on the step)! They both look like they need a bit of TLC though!
    Alea jacta est!
  • VR3
    edited November 2007
    I dont like tool boxes...

To much constant cleaning...
  • capecodder
    capecodder Posts: 613
    edited November 2007
    I don't understand why "newer" trucks have made it sooo dificult to put anything in them. Often the sides are so high you can barely see in them let alone reach in and store something. The fishermen i deal with all complain about that.
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,600
    edited November 2007
    John in MA wrote: »
    Mechanically, older trucks can be more rugged although usually not as refined as newer ones. Some of the best engines came out of the mid-late '90s. I don't like older gassers with carbs. Fuel injection is the way to go. Newer than around '00 ones are hampered with too much redesign for EPA and crash standards.
    My ideal truck would be a 1992 Dodge Ram with the Cummins diesel, or perhaps a military M1008 which was an upgraded K30-type Chevy with Army features.

This is why I want to build one. The ramjet 350 is not that bad,since the
    computer is for the engine only. Add a beefed up OD transmission,
    and you're off. Add stuff as needed, or just roll out the rubber mat
    on the floor. (I hate carpet in trucks). There are some very easy
    throttle body injection kits out now, too. No reason to use a
    knuckle dragger carb any more. NAdams, Now THAT IS A TRUCK!
    You're still using the small bales?????
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited November 2007
    Kex wrote: »
    Love the 1953! Love the "block brakes" feature too (on the step)! They both look like they need a bit of TLC though!

Actually, the '53 had much better than the block brake. The engine is locked up, so all you gotta do is put her in gear and start letting the clutch out :D

The '78 is a 3/4 ton 4wd with the Trailering Special package. This including a low geared tranny, as well as heavier leaf packs in the back. 10,000# GVW, but we've had a ton and a half of coal in her when we were still burning coal.

And, the 52 bales of hay in that shot just made it ride nice... otherwise it's a kidney buster to be sure. Still completely mostly road legal, too.... and we don't even register it as a farm truck (because we're not a farm).

And yea, we use small bales. Easier to transport from the local farm to dad's barn for the horses. With only 2 horses, 1 load lasts a month or two. We have room for probably 5 loads that size, but usually just keep one full load in reserve and work off the oldest.
    Ludicrous gibs!