Old Truck v. New Truck Styling

VR3
VR3 Posts: 28,574
edited November 2007 in The Clubhouse
In light of all the car posts...

A constant discussion among my friends (which we are all truck fans)

Is new vs. old trucks....

For instance one of my friends think the old trucks are the best thing since sliced bread, I think they are just pieces of metal that were thrown together and made to haul stuff... totally different outlooks I guess...

So looking at the newer stuff...

05.ford.f150.500.jpg

CARmageddon872.jpg

ford_f150_5.jpg

90SS454TruckInterior.jpg
- Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
Post edited by VR3 on

Comments

• audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited November 2007
    There are certainly a few good looking trucks being made today. But by far one of my favorite styles is the older Silverado's.

clevitetruck.gif
    web87%20K10-4.jpg

And of course the K5 Blazers are AWESOME!
    1990_chevrolet_blazer_k5.jpg
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,685
    edited November 2007
    Trucks are supposed to be trucks... my '74 Bronco was a truck...
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited November 2007
    I'm into Chevy but that new Nissan Tundra is pretty sharp.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,600
    edited November 2007
    I liked the late 70's chevy trucks.

But I also would like to whip up a 87 El Camino with a crate 350 ramjet.
    turbo 400 with gear vendors OD, etc. Fast, stylin', more than 16mpg.
    Does that make me a bad person?
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • dorokusai
    edited November 2007
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Trucks are supposed to be trucks... my '74 Bronco was a truck...

I agree. I was reading a discussion on cleaning your truck in a Chevy forum and a bunch of folks were railing against dirty wheel wells....and I was like, it's a truck man :confused:
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • audiobliss
    edited November 2007
    dorokusai wrote: »
    I'm into Chevy but that new Nissan Titan V8 is pretty sharp.
    I love that orange, and that is cleeeeeaaaaaaaan. What do you use to wash/wax/get it that perfect?
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • Rivrrat
    Rivrrat Posts: 2,101
    edited November 2007
    I've driven several of the "older trucks" through the years at work, and I'll take my F-150 over any of them.

And I intensely dislike older Chevy interiors, the have more plastic, and they always rattled more than the Fords I drove.

And before I get attacked....JMHO. :D
    My equipment sig felt inadequate and deleted itself.
  • dorokusai
    edited November 2007
    audiobliss wrote: »
    I love that orange, and that is cleeeeeaaaaaaaan. What do you use to wash/wax/get it that perfect?

The saliva of the the various runaways I keep locked in a soundproof chamber in my basement.

Liquid Glass.
  • VR3
    edited November 2007
    I'll back that statement up...

I've seen numerous older Chevy trucks that might as well not have an interior... lol
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • audiobliss
    edited November 2007
    Rivrrat wrote: »
    And before I get attacked....JMHO. :D
    Back away from the computer before I radio Jimmy on my wrist-watch/walkie-talkie to kill the breaker box and go storming in there.

:D:D
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited November 2007
    Im a big fan of the new trucks and the way they look except for the Titan. Cant get into that one.

But the new Tundra looks awesome as does the new Super Dutys.

The ones Im digging the most right now are the new Chevy's! I went and looked at some last weekend and theyre great looking trucks inside and out. If I could, I would buy one right now in a heartbeat.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • audiobliss
    edited November 2007
    MacLeod wrote: »
    The ones Im digging the most right now are the new Chevy's! I went and looked at some last weekend and theyre great looking trucks inside and out. If I could, I would buy one right now in a heartbeat.
    *hangs head*

IMO, new trucks are going down hill. I can't complain much about the new Dodges, because the only main offense they're committing is those UGLY new headlines. They didn't seem to change much else.

The new Ford Super Duties have that stupid too shiny plastic trim everywhere and just SCREAM plastic tonka truck.

And Chevy hasn't had a good looking truck since the 2001 body style went out. That's by far my favorite body style in a new-ish truck. However, the one following that style has grown on me a little bit.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • VR3
    edited November 2007
    I hate Dodge...

Bubbly trucks should be forbidden!

6287_image.jpg

Looks like a toy!!!

The F150 and Tundra are by far my continual favorites -- Tundra with a slight edge by far!

07f150_harley_5.jpg

title.jpg
  • dorokusai
    edited November 2007
    Yep, the Tundra, thanks Trey.
  • audiobliss
    edited November 2007
    And the Tundra DOESN'T look like a toy?
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • VR3
    edited November 2007
    No problem...

Some folks like it - I love it...

the Titan is ok, it looks like they kind of didnt finish it...

2008-nissan-titan-crew-1.jpg

Tundra looks sweet -- definitely no toy-like look to me...

ty2007tundra1929723m.jpg
  • snow
    snow Posts: 4,337
    edited November 2007
    Well I guess my oppinion of what older is, is different than some lol. I was thinking 50s and older trucks. and some of them looked cool but trust me on this they have nothing on a new truck as far as comfort handling power etc.

My oppinion is most of the really nice designs were from the mid 30s to the mid 50s as far as trucks go.

REGARDS SNOW
    Well, I just pulled off the impossible by doing a double-blind comparison all by myself, purely by virtue of the fact that I completely and stupidly forgot what I did last. I guess that getting old does have its advantages after all :D
  • VR3
    edited November 2007
    Yeah, 1950's truck look pretty bad ****
  • Serendipity
    Serendipity Posts: 6,975
    edited November 2007
    I'm into Chevy but that new Nissan Tundra is pretty sharp.

Nissan Titan? Or Toyota Tundra?

I like the Toyota but Trey's F-150 is just awesome.
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!
  • shadowofnight
    shadowofnight Posts: 2,735
    edited November 2007
    I'm into Chevy but that new Nissan Titan V8 is pretty sharp.

You got that right :) Not only that....it is more american made AND assembled then any of the so called " American Made " trucks...whose origin is usually Mexico or Canada.

Also, it eats em up in the quarter mile with that all aluminum block/heads dual overhead cam 4 valve motor made and assembled in Tennessee ( Rest of truck made/assembled in Mississippi ).
    The only one to beat it stock now is the new UGLY as sin Toyota Tundra....there was a picture of a catfish in the design building's lunch room and it subliminally made it into the design of that poor Tundra ). Hopefully Toyota does something for styling SOON because the rest of the truck is outstanding.

With a few engine mods mine is dynoing 300 horsepower @ the rear wheels...NOT crankshaft :) Some of my Titan forum guys even get much higher http://www.dragtimes.com/Nissan-Titan-Timeslip-13662.html by adding cams and a few other goodies ( Still normally aspirated...the blower guys are much higher of course )

I had to add traction bars after adding the TruTrac limited slip differential....drifting is a toe tap away with both tires spinning :)

Also added major suspension components ( Upper control arms...shocks...CST 7" lift...etc ) for 4 wheeling.
    The first rule of Fight Club is you don't talk about Fight Club
  • dorokusai
    edited November 2007
    appadv wrote: »
    Nissan Titan? Or Toyota Tundra?

I like the Toyota but Trey's F-150 is just awesome.

I said Titan at first but think it was the Tundra that I had actually turned a head on. I think both are big sellers for Toyota and with good reason.

Shadow - That's tight.
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited November 2007
    *hangs head*

IMO, new trucks are going down hill. I can't complain much about the new Dodges, because the only main offense they're committing is those UGLY new headlines. They didn't seem to change much else.

The new Ford Super Duties have that stupid too shiny plastic trim everywhere and just SCREAM plastic tonka truck.

And Chevy hasn't had a good looking truck since the 2001 body style went out. That's by far my favorite body style in a new-ish truck. However, the one following that style has grown on me a little bit.
    there was no 2001 body style...they changed in 99 and did slight changes in 03...

I dont really like the new dodges all that much, and I especially hate the wiring on them. But that doesnt affect many ppl.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • audiobliss
    edited November 2007
    exalted512 wrote: »
    there was no 2001 body style...they changed in 99 and did slight changes in 03...
    So Chevy pickups didn't have a body style in 2001? I wasn't saying that's when it started...obviously I didn't know when. But that's the style I like the best.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • snow
    snow Posts: 4,337
    edited November 2007
    Heres a few pics of older trucks, of course im an old guy lol.

REGARDS SNOW
    Well, I just pulled off the impossible by doing a double-blind comparison all by myself, purely by virtue of the fact that I completely and stupidly forgot what I did last. I guess that getting old does have its advantages after all :D
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited November 2007
    So Chevy pickups didn't have a body style in 2001? I wasn't saying that's when it started...obviously I didn't know when. But that's the style I like the best.

Theres pretty much no difference between the two other than the front end and the tail lights from 99-07classic.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • audiobliss
    edited November 2007
    Ok. 99 to 03 or however long that body style lasted was great. The next one totally ruined the front end. The the current truck is FUGLY from the front, side, rear, AND inside. So much so, the previous truck now looks wonderful.

No, to me, there's a world of difference between all three of the models.

2001:
    01silverado.jpg
    2004:
    04-silverado-hero.jpg
    2007:
    tn_2007_silverado_485.jpg

Who the heck wanted to slap those HUGE bulging fenders and quarter panels on the new truck, slap all that wide, tacky 'chrome' across the front, make the headlights look like that, and put that bulge in the hood??

A MUCH worse failure from Chevy than the HHR, SSR, or GTO, if you ask me. Those were horrible, but not abysmal.

Oh, and my bad. I should have started off qualifying that I'm opinionated about cars. :)

No, wait. I'm not opinionated. I'm just always right. :D:D
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • MattN03
    MattN03 Posts: 558
    edited November 2007
    You got that right :) Not only that....it is more american made AND assembled then any of the so called " American Made " trucks...whose origin is usually Mexico or Canada.

Also, it eats em up in the quarter mile with that all aluminum block/heads dual overhead cam 4 valve motor made and assembled in Tennessee ( Rest of truck made/assembled in Mississippi ).
    The only one to beat it stock now is the new UGLY as sin Toyota Tundra....there was a picture of a catfish in the design building's lunch room and it subliminally made it into the design of that poor Tundra ). Hopefully Toyota does something for styling SOON because the rest of the truck is outstanding.

With a few engine mods mine is dynoing 300 horsepower @ the rear wheels...NOT crankshaft :) Some of my Titan forum guys even get much higher http://www.dragtimes.com/Nissan-Titan-Timeslip-13662.html by adding cams and a few other goodies ( Still normally aspirated...the blower guys are much higher of course )

I had to add traction bars after adding the TruTrac limited slip differential....drifting is a toe tap away with both tires spinning :)

Also added major suspension components ( Upper control arms...shocks...CST 7" lift...etc ) for 4 wheeling.

Nice looking truck, but compared to the Big 3, the rear axle in a Titan is a joke. It looks like it came out of my 4 banger Ranger...

Have there been many problems (breakage) in the rear end of these trucks?
  • VR3
    edited November 2007
    I personally like the way the new Chevy's look...

From a quality perspective -- I've witnessed and seen disasters with Engines and Trannies...

Around that 50,000 marker... I've heard of a couple of cases of both failing
  • dorokusai
    edited November 2007
    I don't keep anything past warranty anymore as its not the old days of shade tree mechanics. The play vehicle is one thing but DD's are all about warranty.
  • John in MA
    John in MA Posts: 1,010
    edited November 2007
    For me, truck styling reached its zenith in the mid-late '90s. The slim lines has a great deal of dignity, and I think the original Dodge "big rig" design wasn't that bad, although I still prefer the circa-1990 Rams.

Modern trucks suffer from two problems. The first is growing safety regulations that require adding lots of padding on the outside bumper areas. The second is that the manufacturers are trying to make them look too agressive and bling-bling flashy. Nearly all modern trucks, including that bubbly Tundra, look like overstuffed furniture that were also attacked by some child with a rhinestone kit. I think they're hideous. A lot of the beds are too high, the wheels are too close to the hip-hop look, etc.

Mechanically, older trucks can be more rugged although usually not as refined as newer ones. Some of the best engines came out of the mid-late '90s. I don't like older gassers with carbs. Fuel injection is the way to go. Newer than around '00 ones are hampered with too much redesign for EPA and crash standards.

My ideal truck would be a 1992 Dodge Ram with the Cummins diesel, or perhaps a military M1008 which was an upgraded K30-type Chevy with Army features.