What kind of car do you own???

Options

Comments

• SWFalken
    SWFalken Posts: 136
    edited November 2007
    Options
    heiney, I do like wrenching on that motor. Unfortunately, It's probably the last gasoline engine that I own that I will completly understand. The 2.0 Liter 16V motor is very tuneable and your friend is right about the power output versus weight of this powerplant. I think that block is the German equivalent of the small block Chevy. My Rabbit is better and more sophisticated in almost every measurable way, but I love the basic mechanical nature of the Passat much more. If I ever have the time and space, I will build a MK l Rabbit with a 1.8 or 2.0 16V and go enjoy a few track days.
    "I drank what?" Socrates :eek:
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited November 2007
    Options
  • MKZ
    MKZ Posts: 1,068
    edited November 2007
    Options
    ………..
    1982 Toyota Corolla
    1986 Toyota Corolla Levin
    *1987 Toyota Hiace Van
    *1987 Toyota Corona
    1990 Toyota MARK II
    1990 Honda Accord EX
    *1992 Toyota Corona Wagon
    1992 Toyota Corolla
    1992 Toyota MARK II
    1992 Nissan Laural
    1992 Nissan Skyline GTS-t
    1992 Nissan Skyline GTR R32
    1994 Toyota MARK II Tourer V 1JZ-GTE
    1995 Mitsubishi Pajaro
    1995 Acura Integra GSR
    1995 Honda Prelude VTEC
    1995 Lexus SC300
    *1995 Infiniti G20t (P10)
    1995 Honda Civic EX
    1997 Nissan Maxima GLE
    *1997 Mitsubishi Jeep
    1998 Honda Civic EX
    1998 Subaru Legacy
    2000 Honda Accord EX
    *2006 Mazda Jeep

* Currently owned
  • BobMcG
    BobMcG Posts: 1,585
    edited November 2007
    Options
    My every day driver is a 2003 Toyota Tacoma V6 SR5. Fun in the sun ride though is my '78 Pontiac TransAm TA 6.6 with some added goodies. :)

TruckandTranAm-02.jpg
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited November 2007
    Options
    I knew my eyes were going to get a treat as soon as I saw you had the last post!

As I recall, you have a few more pictures of that beauty. ;)
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • BobMcG
    edited November 2007
    Options
    Thanks, been mine for 22yrs now. This summer I just broke the 65K mile mark. I have to be careful, I don't want to wear it out. :p Right after this photo was taken I put the original shift knob back on (at least for a while) and it's as beautiful as the day it was made. :DTAInterior-01.jpg
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,558
    edited November 2007
    Options
    BobMcG wrote: »
    My every day driver is a 2003 Toyota Tacoma V6 SR5. Fun in the sun ride though is my '78 Pontiac TransAm TA 6.6 with some added goodies. :)

TruckandTranAm-02.jpg

Son's first car was a 79. Currently he's got a 2002. Any reason the shaker intake is not on, other than it's a pain in the behind?:D
    I assume it's the true 400, not the Olds 403 flavor.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • BobMcG
    edited November 2007
    Options
    Yes, it's the last HO 400 made. The shaker's not on because it's perfectly mated to it's bottom half which is uniquely shaped to fit over the stock manifold and carb. Many years ago I replaced the stock manifold and carb so the stock air cleaner no longer fits the profile. It remains in the trunk and only comes out if I get caught in the rain. I pad the chrome air filter cover with a towel, place the shaker on it and gently close the hood. Keeps the air filter dry just like the stock setup, it just doesn't "shake". And shake it can, more than stock due to do the C.C. higher lifting cam kit I also put in. :D
  • ESavinon
    ESavinon Posts: 3,066
    edited November 2007
    Options
    1995 Oldsmobile Aurora Autobahn Edition.
    SRT For Life; SDA Forever!

The SRT SEISMIC System:
    Four main satellite speakers, six powered subs, two dedicated for LFE channel, two center speakers for over/under screen placement and three Control Centers. Amaze your friends, terrorize your neighbors, seize the audio bragging rights for your state. Go ahead, buy it; you only go around once.
  • GaryZ06
    GaryZ06 Posts: 317
    edited November 2007
    Options
    C6 Z06:eek:
    Panasonic 50" Plasma + Pioneer 6010
    Toshiba XA2 HD-DVD
    Panasonic BD30 Blu-Ray
    Pioneer 1014
    Polk RTi12 (front)...Polk CSi5 (center)
    Polk RTi4 (rear)...Velodyne DLS 5000-R Sub
    3 Outlaw M-200 Amps
  • sucks2beme
    edited November 2007
    Options
    Yes, it's the last HO 400 made. The shaker's not on because it's perfectly mated to it's bottom half which is uniquely shaped to fit over the stock manifold and carb. Many years ago I replaced the stock manifold and carb so the stock air cleaner no longer fits the profile. It remains in the trunk and only comes out if I get caught in the rain. I pad the chrome air filter cover with a towel, place the shaker on it and gently close the hood. Keeps the air filter dry just like the stock setup, it just doesn't "shake". And shake it can, more than stock due to do the C.C. higher lifting cam kit I also put in. :D

Some have gotten a spare and modded it to attach to the hood.
    I know that the 400, 403, and 455 shakers are different. There was a place
    in Dallas that had all the pieces in stock, reprodution and original.
    There's also APE. His car was in a lot rougher shape than yours will ever be.
    I had to scrounge a lot of parts.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • John in MA
    John in MA Posts: 1,010
    edited November 2007
    Options
    A fellow I know collects late '70s Trans Ams. I think he had five at one point, now he's sold off a couple. Neat cars.

My favorite will always be the early '70s Firebirds with the twin hood scoops over the grill.
  • audiobliss
    edited November 2007
    Options
    You know where he lives and when he's not home? :D:D
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited November 2007
    Options
    McLoki wrote: »
    I just like having cars with crumple zones roughly the size of most smaller cars.

The chances of me or my family walking away from most average accidents is pretty good. That is worth a few MPG to me....

Michael

(and most crash tests are against similar sized cars so don't give me a honda CRX with a 5 star crash rating will do better in an encounter with a full size pickup than any of my vehicles... ;))

Edit - and I usually purchase used so the greater depreciation of american vehicles works in my favor... :D

Amen, Amen, and Amen.
    I am driving a 96 Pontiac Grand Prix which cost me $0, get good millage, cheap parts, and I don't care if a shopping cart, or a door hits it:D
    My other vehicle is a 68 Bronco that gets 8 MPG, and has a 11 gallon tank:eek: Long trips are tough.
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Sami
    Sami Posts: 4,634
    edited November 2007
    Options
    ESAVINON wrote: »
    1995 Oldsmobile Aurora Autobahn Edition.

Autobahn edition on American car? What's the difference? Stiffer suspension?
  • audiobliss
    edited November 2007
    Options
    That's a good question; I wondered that, too. From google it *appears* that it ups the speed limiter to 139 and changes the gearing.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • strider
    strider Posts: 2,568
    edited November 2007
    Options
    Here's some shots of my truck. The one on the right is the only shot I could find with the new front bumper.
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • audiobliss
    edited November 2007
    Options
    That's awesome! By far my favorite Toyota pickup ever! Though I do like the looks of the four-doors, too.

That's a nice looking front bumper, too. You oughtta have more pictures of it! :p
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • BobMcG
    edited November 2007
    Options
    sucks2beme wrote: »
    Some have gotten a spare and modded it to attach to the hood.

No thanks. Don't want one or anything bolted/attached to the hood. :)

And: Certainly not drilling holes in my original, stock hood either. ;)
  • m00npie
    m00npie Posts: 697
    edited November 2007
    Options
    2001 VW Jetta TDI

90 Horsepower... Anyone want to race?:D
  • audiobliss
    edited November 2007
    Options
    m00npie wrote: »
    2001 VW Jetta TDI

90 Horsepower... Anyone want to race?:D
    Hahahahaha, sure! I'll borrow Dad's '04 Jetta TDi 5-speed. However, we can't race from a dig, as I still can't launch a manual that well. :(
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • m00npie
    m00npie Posts: 697
    edited November 2007
    Options
    audiobliss wrote: »
    Hahahahaha, sure! I'll borrow Dad's '04 Jetta TDi 5-speed. However, we can't race from a dig, as I still can't launch a manual that well. :(

There is no such thing as a launch with these cars. It's like starting out on a 10 speed bike stuck in 5th gear. Although it lacks power, I only have to fill up with diesel every 650-700 miles.
  • audiobliss
    edited November 2007
    Options
    Oh, quite cont rare, Dad and I are constantly amazed at what a 1.9L DIESEL will do. It moves great for what it is. Especially at highway speeds it'll pull really good. And if you start upgrading injectors, remapping the computer, and upgrade turbo (and add an intercooler if you're going to go crazy), you can reach much higher power levels...can't recall at the moment. But you can bring the stock 0-60 time down from 11 seconds to 7 or a little less.

However, even stock, the Jetta will do a 70-80 run in top gear (fifth) in right around 4 seconds or a little less, which is pretty good in my book!
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • shadowofnight
    shadowofnight Posts: 2,735
    edited November 2007
    Options
    m00npie wrote: »
    There is no such thing as a launch with these cars. It's like starting out on a 10 speed bike stuck in 5th gear. Although it lacks power, I only have to fill up with diesel every 650-700 miles.

I drove my bosses one time to the machine shop to get parts because I was on my motorcycle at work. You actually just got in...turned it on...put the pedal to the floor..and steered....your 10 speed stuck in 5th gear is a perfect description :eek:
    The first rule of Fight Club is you don't talk about Fight Club
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,348
    edited November 2007
    Options
    '79 TA. Gold w/the brown based bird on the shaker hood. Damn, I miss that ride.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    edited November 2007
    Options
    Lightning
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited November 2007
    Options
    Suzuki Forenza
    Dodge RAM 1500 quad cab
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • strider
    strider Posts: 2,568
    edited November 2007
    Options
    audiobliss wrote: »
    That's awesome! By far my favorite Toyota pickup ever! Though I do like the looks of the four-doors, too.

That's a nice looking front bumper, too. You oughtta have more pictures of it! :p

Thanks! I love that truck, had it for 5 years and 80k miles, no major problems at all. Done all the work on it myself, I've got it where I want it and now just get to enjoy it and the places it takes me!
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • sucks2beme
    edited November 2007
    Options
    No thanks. Don't want one or anything bolted/attached to the hood. :)

And: Certainly not drilling holes in my original, stock hood either. ;)

That's why you get a spare hood and shaker. There's a guy in North Texas that even specializes in TA decals!
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    edited November 2007
    Options
    OK, I got to see Bob's TA in person and it looks bad **** with the air filter sticking through the hood like that. If he doesn't want the shaker hood on that's up to him but I don't think he needs it at all. The car is absolutely gorgeous.

Then again, everybody would probably think my truck looks stupid in it's current condition with the black steel wheels, center caps and trim rings. So maybe I'm the odd one out.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!