Whats your average Text Messages count?

Comments

• MrNightly
    MrNightly Posts: 3,370
    edited October 2007
    T9 is the only way to text... the other way was first generation and SO out of date. If you try texting without T9, give it up. It is too annoying!

Those that are against text just crack me up... Welcome to the new world people, this ain't 1980 any more! ;)
    Honoured to be, an original SOPA founding member
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    SVS PB12-NSD/2 - sub :D:D:D
    Denon 3805
    Rotel RB-985 5-Channel Amplifier

• bdaley6509
    bdaley6509 Posts: 1,167
    edited October 2007
    only 5...never use text msg. for some reason.
  • MrNightly
    edited October 2007
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    Why would phone calls have to be necessary? Of course they're not necessary. If we only did what was necessary,we'd be a bunch of robots working all day and then going home for nourishment and sleep before going back to work again. Texting and casual phone calls are for entertainment and the passing of completely unnecessary information to make our short time on this spinning rock as varied and interesting as possible.

Spot on mate!

Very well said :D
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    Denon 3805

• -justin-
    -justin- Posts: 891
    edited October 2007
    I send/receive about 1500 - 3000 per month. I find it MUCH easier to send txt messages with my iphone. Faster, and more detailed messages are much easier.

I stopped txting while driving. I did with my razr but nearly impossible with the iPhone. Only at lights. They can F-ing wait anyway, when I'm in my car it's MY time.

~J
    Getting the iphone has made me cut back a lot. It's not nearly as convenient even though it looks way cooler. I used to do texts without looking as well but you just can't with the iphone.
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,600
    edited October 2007
    Never sent one, receive one once in a blue moon.
    If work didn't require a cellphone, I'd be rid of it.

I very seldom talk on the phone at home either.
    The only calls for me are spam.

Most of my work messages come via email. Lots of
    attachments, and reply all is the normal response.

If I ever get the urge to text while driving, may a semi truck
    run me the hell down.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • carpenter
    carpenter Posts: 362
    edited October 2007
    tonyb wrote: »
    You are soo spot on.We have a whole generation that can't communicate with anyone without a cell phone to text.My neighbor and his kids text each other when they are all home.Unflippin' believable,

And a generation before that couldn't communicate on internet message boards like this one, because they weren't available. so? we type some text on a browser, and it counts as communication, even a good form of it.
    Like it or not those SMSs are called progress. get with the program.
    IMHO when you find yourself thinking about new technology as actually being regressive , you're getting older. when you start using phrases that start with "We have a whole generation ..." you are definitely getting older.
    Hell, I'm in my early 30s and sometimes I feel like a dinosaur, but to be honest, in my teen years, I would have loved SMSing my Mom, some carefully-preprepared text, instead of having yet another mindless, pointless, nagging as hell "start taking life more seriously" talk. at least that's how I thought of it back then. I'll probably do the same to my daughter (four months to go, wish me luck.).
    "If the global crisis continues, by the end of the year Only two Banks will be operational, the Blood Bank and the Sperm Bank. Then these 2 banks will merge and it will be called 'The Bloody **** Bank'"
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 5,150
    edited October 2007
    None: I think it's sort of rude to send people a SMS if they have to pay to receive it, so I don't send any. I used to love them when I had a service that didn't charge to receive them, especially with Nokia predictive text (which I thought was very good). If I paid the $0.10 and the recipient paid $0.0, I'ld use about 30-50 a month probably.
    Alea jacta est!
  • michael_w
    michael_w Posts: 2,813
    edited October 2007
    None of the carriers here charge to receive SMS (for the first 2500 a month).
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited October 2007
    I only text people who either text me first (indicating they're on some sort of text plan and willing to receive texts) or who I know enough to ask. It's not like I'm texting strangers.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • bluzrip
    bluzrip Posts: 93
    edited October 2007
    I stopped txting while driving. I did with my razr but nearly impossible with the iPhone.

Good Lord.
    "You can tell by the kindness of a dog how a human should be." Don Van Vliet
  • mark090852
    mark090852 Posts: 996
    edited October 2007
    0 during a quiet month and 0 during a busy month. So I guess my average would be...Let's see...add both together, divide by two...got it!

ZERO!
    McIntosh MA252 Integrated Amp, LUMIN D2 Network Music Player, Yamaha Aventage RX-A840 receiver, Emotiva XPA Gen3 2 channel amp, Polk LSiM 703 speakers. Oppo UDP-203 Blu-Ray player, Polk LSiM 705 speakers. Polk Signature S20 speakers.
  • Sherardp
    Sherardp Posts: 8,038
    edited October 2007
    Here in Japan, everyone has cellphones, its pretty much a standard. I normally text more than I converse via phone calls. I average about 3000-4000 a month which doesnt include cellphone emails with attachments. I can say this though, Japan has way better cellphones than what we use in the states. You guys should see some of phones out here.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!!!

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase :cool:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=73580
  • Polkitup2
    Polkitup2 Posts: 1,621
    edited October 2007
    I can't even type at a keyboard, how the heck could I ever text message?
  • BIZILL
    BIZILL Posts: 5,432
    edited October 2007
    QWERTY keypad is the ONLY way to text!

POLK SDA-SRS 1.2TL -- ADCOM GFA-5802
    PANASONIC PT-AE4000U -- DIY WILSONART DW 135" 2.35:1 SCREEN
    ONKYO TX-SR805
    CENTER: CSI5
    MAINS: RTI8'S
    SURROUNDS: RTI8'S
    7.1 SURROUNDS: RTI6'S
    SUB: SVS PB12-PLUS/2 (12.3 series)

XBOX 360
    WiiPS3/blu-rayTOSHIBA HD-A35 hd dvd

http://polkarmy.com/forums/index.php
    bobman1235 wrote:
    I have no facts to back that up, but I never let facts get in the way of my arguments.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited October 2007
    0. I still use smoke signals.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 5,150
    edited October 2007
    BIZILL wrote: »
    QWERTY keypad is the ONLY way to text!
    I actually prefer a phone keypad (to the Gooseberry thing, for example), when used with good predictive text (fewer keystrokes and easier one-handed operation IMO) ... but as stated earlier: I don't text anymore since it's not free for the recipient.
    Alea jacta est!
  • Polk addict
    Polk addict Posts: 558
    edited October 2007
    I don't use text messaging. When you can talk to someone why send them a message? That's what the mail service is around for!
    Chiranth
    hoosier21 wrote:
    Cobra + SDA's = dead amps laying all around.
  • Polk addict
    Polk addict Posts: 558
    edited October 2007
    I have only received text messages, I don't pay for it...
    Chiranth
    hoosier21 wrote:
    Cobra + SDA's = dead amps laying all around.
  • chillywilly
    chillywilly Posts: 167
    edited October 2007
    I only ever sent 2 texts but I always tell my wife to put the phone down hollywood
    FXi3 sats
    RTi10 fronts
    CSi5 center
    velodyne dps 10
    denon avr 888
    velodyne dps 12
    sammy lcd
    ps3 60gig
    wii for family
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited October 2007
    I said earlier that I manage the phones here (120).

So I got a spam text earlier this month and Verizon charged me .15 for it. Well, they also decided to add onto my work phone a $10 text package plan. Then they added a $1.50 bill for a 411 call.

Now, you might be able to sneak that on our account on some other random user but I manage the plan.

Needless to say I damn strait called up our Rep and said

"I dont recall asking you to put a $10 text messaging plan on my cell phone and where the hell did a 411 charge come from, I’ve never used it in my life, I have a PDA with Google on it. I want a deep scan on all our phones for this crap"

Her response:

"You can call the business services to have that looked at"

My response

"So I get to spend 2 hours on the phone with you guys for services I didn’t ask for???"
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited October 2007
    I don't use text messaging. When you can talk to someone why send them a message? That's what the mail service is around for!

I often have to get a message to someone who may be in a meeting or with a client and not in a position to answer the phone and talk. Better even than a voice message since a quick glance at the phone typically gets them the information.

I hate the QWERTY keypad on a phone and refuse to use it. I have been a Palm PDA user for years and when it was time to get a new phone I passed on the Palm Trios because of the QWERTY keypad even though it would be one less gadget to carry. Too many keys in too small a space. I can use the 12 key pad fast enough to do what I want. Besides on my PDA I can use Graffiti to enter info faster than a key pad.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • thebluemonkey
    thebluemonkey Posts: 190
    edited October 2007
    about 900 a month
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,899
    edited October 2007
    Why would phone calls have to be necessary? Of course they're not necessary. If we only did what was necessary,we'd be a bunch of robots working all day and then going home for nourishment and sleep before going back to work again. Texting and casual phone calls are for entertainment and the passing of completely unnecessary information to make our short time on this spinning rock as varied and interesting as possible.

Well part of the issue is that 9 times out of 10 it's at someone else's expense, i.e. someone has to listen that doesn't want to or else the twit on the phone is driving a car. I guess I am biased as I have always found yakking on the phone a menial task that usually takes me away from doing something I'd rather be doing. That other people get immense pleasure out of it boggles my mind. I guess it takes all kinds eh?
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Audioquest Diamond USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited October 2007
    Well there's another bonus for you dragon - text messages are way easier to ignore than phone calls :)
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,950
    edited October 2007
    carpenter wrote: »
    And a generation before that couldn't communicate on internet message boards like this one, because they weren't available. so? we type some text on a browser, and it counts as communication, even a good form of it.
    Like it or not those SMSs are called progress. get with the program.
    IMHO when you find yourself thinking about new technology as actually being regressive , you're getting older. when you start using phrases that start with "We have a whole generation ..." you are definitely getting older.
    Hell, I'm in my early 30s and sometimes I feel like a dinosaur, but to be honest, in my teen years, I would have loved SMSing my Mom, some carefully-preprepared text, instead of having yet another mindless, pointless, nagging as hell "start taking life more seriously" talk. at least that's how I thought of it back then. I'll probably do the same to my daughter (four months to go, wish me luck.).

Yeah,I might be getting older,but also wiser.I really enjoy watching today's youth suck up anything thats sold to them without a thought process in sight.I can see where text mess. can be beneficial to some.But some also take it to the extreme.Of coarse,not to say my generation was that much better.We sure had our faults,but we could communicate with our fellow humans on a one to one basis.Progress??? To what? I'll bet most the text sent is bullcrap anyway.By your own example of text mess. your mom instead of getting yelled at,is perfect.You avoid confrontation by hideing behind a key pad,be it internet or cell phone.Without that face to face dialog,you get brave in your wordage.After all is said and done,when you start getting up there in age,I'll say the same thing my parents once told me...." See,I told you so!!":)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,899
    edited October 2007
    Well there's another bonus for you dragon - text messages are way easier to ignore than phone calls :)

Actually not. It really irritates me to have to watch someone poking around too :D
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Audioquest Diamond USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • MrNightly
    edited October 2007
    This board is full of a bunch of old men that can't appreciate modern technology!!! :D

I bet there's a direct correlation between those that own TT's and those that think texting is extreme!

Oh well... To each his own. But those in China and Japan, all they do is text! By the millions each day. I think I recall hearing that Japan sends over 1Billion texts a day... Incredible! And, as we all know, most new electronic technologies come out from those places! Maybe they know something we don't...

:D
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    Denon 3805

• PFKMan23
    PFKMan23 Posts: 13
    edited October 2007
    None. I use IM and the phone.
  • krabby5
    krabby5 Posts: 923
    edited October 2007
    MrNightly wrote: »

Oh well... To each his own. But those in China and Japan, all they do is text! By the millions each day. I think I recall hearing that Japan sends over 1Billion texts a day... Incredible!

:D

and I bet 800 million of em go like this..
    "what are you doing?"
    "nothing..sittin in class...you?"
    "what are you gonna do after school?"
    "I don't know..what do you want to do?"
    Pioneer Elite VSX-53, Polk RT800i fronts, Polk CS400i center, FX500i surround, Velodyne sub