Comments

• Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited August 2007
    krabby5 wrote: »
    true..but you're comparing a picture of him as a rookie to one from 2001 or so...you should compare a picture of me from 1990 to now..:D

Okay then, this is 1996:

Bonds1996.jpg

Still unconvinced?

1999:

Bonds19992.jpg
    What are the dates of the two Bonds pictures?

See above.
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited August 2007
    Demiurge wrote: »
    Did he look like this?

[IMG]http://r_harrison.tripod.com/Agonist/BarryBonds.jpg[/IMG]

I don't know a single guy in my football career from high school through college that could put on that kind of muscle mass over the course of an off season, let alone at all. None. In fact, it's impossible to put on that kind of muscle mass without roids in that period of time.

But, hey, if it makes you feel better... 072.gif

Is that the same guy!?!?!?!?:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • KG Audio
    KG Audio Posts: 79
    edited August 2007
    Hey now, this is America's favorite sport we're discussing. It ain't like we're talking about cheating at a neighborhood marbles game.

It might be America's pasttime but I think the NFL has it beat for America's favorite sport.

I think marbles are a close second though. :D

KG
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited August 2007
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    Are you guys gonna be all right? You realize in the end this is all a GAME?

Not until you mentioned it. I guess I've been living a lie:p
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • krabby5
    krabby5 Posts: 923
    edited August 2007
    You feel he's a **** bag because he tells it like it is? He always spoke his mind. Like him or it or not, he is consistent in that.

all he does is try to draw attention to himself and his on-going blog he writes..he is known for talking out of both sides of his mouth

he was a good pitcher though
    Pioneer Elite VSX-53, Polk RT800i fronts, Polk CS400i center, FX500i surround, Velodyne sub
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,765
    edited August 2007
    Okay, if I understand correctly, BB was all scrawny and schriveled up in 1996 and in 2001 he became "the Hulk". So, the elapsed time between those pics is approximately 5 years or 60 months?

Assuming a reasonable muscle mass gain of 3 pounds per month for 60 months; 3 x 60 = 180 pounds. Assuming he weighed 150 pounds in the 1996 picture and adding a hypothesized 180 pounds of steroid-free dry muscle mass over a five year period, we arrive at a 2001 "hulked up" weight of 330 pounds. We could also assume a conservative "water weight" gain of 1 pound per month for 60 months. This adds on another 60 pounds, for a grand total of 390 pounds.

Seems reasonable to me.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • DarqueKnight
    edited August 2007
    Demiurge wrote: »
    Okay then, this is 1996:

Bonds1996.jpg

Still unconvinced?

1999:

Bonds19992.jpg

See above.

Heyyyyyy, I just noticed something...What's the deal with all the stuff BB is wearing on his arms? It looks suspiciously "transformerish". I'd be more concerned about him hiding a "bionic" arm under all that arm gear than whether he is hittin' that "juice".

P.S.: The 1999 pic looks like BB is having a 'roid rage episode.
  • Demiurge
    edited August 2007
    Okay, if I understand correctly, BB was all scrawny and schriveled up in 1996 and in 2001 he became "the Hulk". So, the elapsed time between those pics is approximately 5 years or 60 months?

Assuming a reasonable muscle mass gain of 3 pounds per month for 60 months; 3 x 60 = 180 pounds. Assuming he weighed 150 pounds in the 1996 picture and adding a hypothesized 180 pounds of steroid-free dry muscle mass over a five year period, we arrive at a 2001 "hulked up" weight of 330 pounds. We could also assume a conservative "water weight" gain of 1 pound per month for 60 months. This adds on another 60 pounds, for a grand total of 390 pounds.

Seems reasonable to me.

No, he was scrawny in 1999-2000 and turned into a beast in the off season before the 2000-2001 season. :)
  • DarqueKnight
    edited August 2007
    Okay. I don't follow MLB, but if I understand you correctly, he went from scrawny to hulk in less than a year? How long is the off season?
  • m00npie
    m00npie Posts: 697
    edited August 2007
    Cal a true ambassador??? He was such a crumudgeon and SO MUCH BETTER THAN HIS TEAMMATES :rolleyes: that he didn't even travel with the team. He separated himself from his teammates. He traveled in a limo when the team traveled in a bus. He flew in a jet separate from his team. Cal Ripken was a pretty damned good ballplayer but that bogus streak, stat, record whatever it is called turned me and many baseball fans in this area totally against him and the O's.

What’s the matter, did he not sign your baseball? Perhaps the folks up in Newark, DE share your opinion but the majority of folks in Baltimore don’t. And while Cal was still playing, attendance was much greater at Camden Yards than it is now. Maybe its because the fine folks from DE are not willing to travel anymore.
  • carpenter
    carpenter Posts: 362
    edited August 2007
    What happens next?

OD?
    Steroids can also significantly shorten a player's career.

No to mention the radius of his testicles.
    "If the global crisis continues, by the end of the year Only two Banks will be operational, the Blood Bank and the Sperm Bank. Then these 2 banks will merge and it will be called 'The Bloody **** Bank'"
  • m00npie
    edited August 2007
    Okay. I don't follow MLB, but if I understand you correctly, he went from scrawny to hulk in less than a year? How long is the off season?

End of October to the beginning of March. A before and after of Mark M is almost as drastic as BB.
  • KG Audio
    edited August 2007
    m00npie wrote: »
    End of October to the beginning of March. A before and after of Mark M is almost as drastic as BB.

BEFORE: 1987 Topps rookie card :eek:

http://www.homeruncards.com/rookiecards/mark-mcgwire-rookie-card2.shtml

AFTER: See above.

KG
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited August 2007
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    Are you guys gonna be all right? You realize in the end this is all a GAME, where people swing a slab of wood at a ball and run around, right?

Ha ha ha, what makes this so interesting that a guy is swinging a round object trying to hit a smaller round object going 100 mph from 65 feet away. Not an easy task. You can fail 66% of the time and be considered a great hitter.
  • KG Audio
    edited August 2007
    KG Audio wrote: »
    BEFORE: 1987 Topps rookie card :eek:

http://www.homeruncards.com/rookiecards/mark-mcgwire-rookie-card2.shtml

AFTER: See above.

KG

See attached.
  • jflail2
    jflail2 Posts: 2,868
    edited August 2007
    Heyyyyyy, I just noticed something...What's the deal with all the stuff BB is wearing on his arms? It looks suspiciously "transformerish". I'd be more concerned about him hiding a "bionic" arm under all that arm gear than whether he is hittin' that "juice".

P.S.: The 1999 pic looks like BB is having a 'roid rage episode.

Weird you should mention that, I read an interesting article on just that a day or 2 ago:

Barry's mechanical aid

I don't give it as much weight as the author does, but maybe there's something to it??

Problem is, every player has the right/ability to wear one of those. If word got out they were that good, wouldn't everyone have one?

Whatever, this record doesn't hold that much clout for me, but neither do the naysayers. High mound v/s Low mound, segregated v/s integrated, # of games, pc's tracking our swings, etc etc. There are always going to be differences over the history of the game as it grows and technology grows.

Something NOONE talks about now, is all the rumors that were going around that MLB actually wound the balls a little tighter in the McGuire/Sosa era. Nothing like HR's to take people's minds off of a greedy strike/ lackluster last few years of attendance......but MLB would never do that would they :eek:

What's done is done. It's up to the league to put into place measurements and metrics that ensure as level a playing field as possible in future.

And in the end, you can keep Barry's 756 dingers; I'll take a class team player like Jeter any day of the week.
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
  • hearingimpared
    edited August 2007
    It might be a game but it is a VERY lucrative game. Hell, Barry Zito pitched like crap last night but he still got PAID...$126 mill over 7 years!!! :eek:

If the fans keep packing the stadiums and paying those insane ticket prices, it will continue to be this way.

KG

KG, that is the problem! They are not packing the stadiums but they are paying insane ticket prices. That is one of the reasons MLB since the strike has lost so many rabid fans. They have to have 162 to pay those absurd salaries. I have no problem with people making money and lots of it but these salaries are have been and are going to ruin MLB just like the NBA. The NFL lets sponsors pay most of the salaries not the fans.

Once again I want to remind you that I love baseball but have fallen away.:o
  • hearingimpared
    edited August 2007
    he is known for talking out of both sides of his mouth

He has pissed me off in the past but that still doesn't detract from the facts.
    he was a good pitcher though

WE AGREE ON SOMETHING! High five!!!:rolleyes:

He was a great pitcher!:)
  • hearingimpared
    edited August 2007
    What’s the matter, did he not sign your baseball? Perhaps the folks up in Newark, DE share your opinion but the majority of folks in Baltimore don’t. And while Cal was still playing, attendance was much greater at Camden Yards than it is now. Maybe its because the fine folks from DE are not willing to travel anymore.

Now you feel the need to resort back to your usual insulting self!:rolleyes: I must have struck your, "take my opinion personally nerve," again. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: I just recently moved to Newark.

BTW your statement,
    "And while Cal was still playing, attendance was much greater at Camden Yards than it is now. Maybe its because the fine folks from DE are not willing to travel anymore."

Proves what a circus the bogus, games played in a row, stat was.

It seems to me the Baltimore fans just don't give a rat's **** about the O's anymore. Hmmm you actually expect people from other states to fill the seats of your beloved home team' ballpark to be sucessful?

So let's see you will asault me publically! Are you going to apologize in a PM again or will you do it publically like a man.
  • Girl_Addicted
    Girl_Addicted Posts: 195
    edited August 2007
    No offense taken "Vr3MxStyler2k3" but go back to your Tylers and Odysseys!!! :cool:

KG

Excuse me? Vr3MxStylerwhatever did not make that post.

You're touchy with your baseball, aren't you? Remember, it's a gaaaaaaame.
    Trey (5:22:24 AM): my Taylos have copper phase plugs
    Trey (5:22:26 AM): they shiney
    Destiney (5:22:39 AM): ahaha
    Destiney (5:22:57 AM): that gives wrong pictures of you lovingly caressing your taylos copper phase plugs
    Trey (5:23:25 AM): >_>
    Trey (5:23:27 AM): Mayyybe
    Trey (5:23:31 AM): I do dust them, does this count?
    Destiney (5:23:22 AM): do you linger?
    Trey (5:23:49 AM): not normally
    Destiney (5:23:35 AM): then its okaaaaay
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited August 2007
    jflail2 wrote: »
    Something NOONE talks about now, is all the rumors that were going around that MLB actually wound the balls a little tighter

Like in 1987? The year of the juiced ball? I think even Ozzie Smith hit 25 dingers that year...
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • Demiurge
    edited August 2007
    Little miss, little miss, can't be wrong.
    Aint nobody gonna bow no more when you sound your gong.
    Little miss, little miss, little miss cant be wrong

I hope that fat exhaust pipe makes you cough
    Hope you read this thread and it pissed you off
    I take that back I hope your doing fine
    And if I had a dollar I might give you ninety-nine
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited August 2007
    You always have to bring it back to the effin' Spin Doctors.
  • m00npie
    edited August 2007
    Now you feel the need to resort back to your usual insulting self!:rolleyes: I must have struck your, "take my opinion personally nerve," again. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: I just recently moved to Newark.BTW your statement, Proves what a circus the bogus, games played in a row, stat was. It seems to me the Baltimore fans just don't give a rat's **** about the O's anymore. Hmmm you actually expect people from other states to fill the seats of your beloved home team' ballpark to be sucessful?
    So let's see you will asault me publically! Are you going to apologize in a PM again or will you do it publically like a man.

How did I insult you? And how is that my normal self? Are you referring to the NASCAR thread where I told you to take your opinion somewhere else when you came in and gave a senseless comment in someone else’s thread? I did apologize thru a PM. Does that make you angry that I apologized? I think you are the one that needs to unplug.
  • krabby5
    krabby5 Posts: 923
    edited August 2007

LOL..he didnt go from scrawny to hulk in less than a year..

geez..the more time goes on, the more the facts get exaggerated..

and yes..I think he did steroids.
    Pioneer Elite VSX-53, Polk RT800i fronts, Polk CS400i center, FX500i surround, Velodyne sub
  • Demiurge
    edited August 2007

Yes he did. You asked for pics, the one of the 1999 season he's as scrawny as he was his rookie year, albiet older looking. Other than that, same old Barry. He showed up for spring training in 2000 and was a completely different guy.
  • hearingimpared
    edited August 2007
    How did I insult you? And how is that my normal self? Are you referring to the NASCAR thread where I told you to take your opinion somewhere else when you came in and gave a senseless comment in someone else’s thread? I did apologize thru a PM. Does that make you angry that I apologized? I think you are the one that needs to unplug.

Nope I am not the least bit charged up. I just found that this is the second time you took my opinion in a personal way and came back in a sarcastic and nasty manner.
  • hearingimpared
    edited August 2007

geez..the more time goes on, the more the facts get exaggerated..

and yes..I think he did steroids.

Awe c'mon I thought it was a week!:D
  • m00npie
    edited August 2007
    Nope I am not the least bit charged up. I just found that this is the second time you took my opinion in a personal way and came back in a sarcastic and nasty manner.

The first time was personal and I apologized for it. This time, I have nothing to apologize for and I am still confused how sarcasm and nastiness come into my comments. Well, maybe a hint of sarcasm, but no nastiness.
  • hearingimpared
    edited August 2007
    The first time was personal and I apologized for it. This time, I have nothing to apologize for and I am still confused how sarcasm and nastiness come into my comments. Well, maybe a hint of sarcasm, but no nastiness.

Okay, I apologize for being too sensitive its these effing steroids bubbling over from Barry Bonds!!!!:D :D:D