"Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then." Bob Seger
Post edited by BottomFeeder on

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,574
    edited August 2007
    he gets hit by a bus.

I mean, congrats?
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited August 2007
    he gets hit by a bus.

I mean, congrats?

...and there will be much rejoicing.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • KG Audio
    KG Audio Posts: 79
    edited August 2007
    Let me offer my perspective...

First off, let me tell you that I was born and raised in San Jose, CA in 1973. I have been a SF Giants fan all my life. I grew up watching, playing, and living baseball. Given that I grew up in Silicon Valley, I grew up playing "Micro League Baseball" on my Apple IIe. I have been a "stat" person all my life so it is no coincidence that I am now an accountant.

Having said all of that, let me now say that what all of you have watched live, watched on ESPN, heard from a friend, etc. is baseball history. Forget all of the other garbage that has not been proven. You all could care less about Barry Bonds before all of this garbage surfaced the past 3-5 years.

I have been watching BB since 1986 with the Pirates...I watched all those playoff games when he sucked it up so bad that he cost the Pirates a trip to the World Series. I cursed the days after the '92 season when the Giants sucked so bad and seemed destined to move to Florida. I was there in '93 when Bonds, Clark, Williams, and Beck (RIP) gave us one of the best seasons in SF ever. I was there in '01 when BB let us forget about 9/11 and broke the all-time season HR record. I was there in '02 when BB finally reached the World Series and dominated on a national stage. And I was there tonight at my house in San Diego watching the Giants on "MLB Extra Innings" as I have been for all the years since I moved from the Bay Area.

So now let me say this...BB is and will be the greatest baseball player all of us will ever see in our lives. If you don't agree, then you just haven't been watching baseball for the past 20 years. No one has ever effected "A" game of baseball than BB has. No manager walks a batter with the bases loaded.

Okay, I will get off my "soap box" now.

"HIGH, DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP, OUTTA HERE!!!" ( Duane Kuiper)

KG
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited August 2007
    I disagree with you.

It would be a shame if they let his numbers stand and not Pete Rose's. Bonds doesn't admit his addiction to steroids just like Rose won't admit, at least not this week, to his gambling.

I've watched Bonds his entire career and saw him go from almost scrawny to the hulk. He may have accomplished those things but he won't live long to enjoy it cause his heart is going to explode from all the drugs.

I'll give him this, he has an eye for the ball but all he has to do is make contact with any part of it and the steroids knock it out of the park.

EDIT: You can't get that big that fast without spending 12 hours a day lifting weights. There is no way Barry Bonds worked that hard and played ball at the same time. Look at pics of his dad, he is not a huge man. So where did Barry get his boost from? Sorry, I am not a Bonds basher and don't boo him when he comes to the city I live in but I do just let my eyes tell me what is obvious here.
  • KG Audio
    edited August 2007
    You may have "watched" him all your life but I'm sure it was on ESPN. Ask any Rose, Gwynn, Ripken, Bonds, McGwire, etc. fan and they will talk about stories, games, memories, etc. that the everyday fan will never understand. Leave the allegations, unproven theories, etc. out of this and you will start to understand what the true fans have been experiencing all these years.

KG
  • Girl_Addicted
    Girl_Addicted Posts: 195
    edited August 2007
    KG Audio wrote: »
    You may have "watched" him all your life but I'm sure it was on ESPN. Ask any Rose, Gwynn, Ripken, Bonds, McGwire, etc. fan and they will talk about stories, games, memories, etc. that the everyday fan will never understand. Leave the allegations, unproven theories, etc. out of this and you will start to understand what the true fans have been experiencing all these years.

KG

But that's the thing. You're a fan. Wouldn't your opinion be a little eschewed by personal attachment to the team and the player? No offense.

Whose record can he beat now, by the by?
    Trey (5:22:24 AM): my Taylos have copper phase plugs
    Trey (5:22:26 AM): they shiney
    Destiney (5:22:39 AM): ahaha
    Destiney (5:22:57 AM): that gives wrong pictures of you lovingly caressing your taylos copper phase plugs
    Trey (5:23:25 AM): >_>
    Trey (5:23:27 AM): Mayyybe
    Trey (5:23:31 AM): I do dust them, does this count?
    Destiney (5:23:22 AM): do you linger?
    Trey (5:23:49 AM): not normally
    Destiney (5:23:35 AM): then its okaaaaay
  • KG Audio
    edited August 2007
    But that's the thing. You're a fan. Wouldn't your opinion be a little eschewed by personal attachment to the team and the player? No offense.

Whose record can he beat now, by the by?

No offense taken "Vr3MxStyler2k3" but go back to your Tylers and Odysseys!!! :cool:

KG
  • hearingimpared
    edited August 2007
    So I guess you are telling me that I am not a true baseball fan?

I can tell you stories about Pete Rose, I lived him. I can tell you stories about Gwynn I lived him too. Those two guys were really talented true baseball players. What Cal Ripken Jr. did was selfish and just hurt his team especially the last few years. McGuire was a flash in the pan.

BTW I graduated high school in 1973.

Every fan can tell stories about their hometown or neartown favorites. I've never paid any attention to the presses raping of BB or Rose, I've drawn my own conclusions on these issues. As a matter of fact I always hated what the press and the fans of other teams did and do to Rose & BB.

I loved Pete Rose, followed him from the Reds to Philly (my home team) and back to the Reds, sat is ballparks and watched him play in serveral different ballparks in several different cities, but for me to deny that he gambled on baseball as well as his own team would be living in denial. I believe the same applies to Barry Bonds. Again if they let Bonds' numbers stand and allow him into the Hall of Fame and not Pete Rose then there is some major corruption going on in baseball.
  • KG Audio
    edited August 2007

I can tell you stories about Pete Rose, I lived him. I can tell you stories about Gwynn I lived him too. Those two guys were really talented true baseball players. What Cal Ripken Jr. did was selfish and just hurt his team especially the last few years. McGuire was a flash in the pan.

Every fan can tell stories about their hometown or neartown favorites. I've never paid any attention to the presses raping of BB or Rose, I've drawn my own conclusions on these issues. As a matter of fact I always hated what the press and the fans of other teams did and do to Rose & BB.

I loved Pete Rose, followed him from the Reds to Philly (my home team) and back to the Reds, sat is ballparks and watched him play in serveral different ballparks in several different cities, but for me to deny that he gambled on baseball as well as his own team would be living in denial. I believe the same applies to Barry Bonds. Again if they let Bonds' numbers stand and allow him into the Hall of Fame and not Pete Rose then there is some major corruption going on in baseball.

Yeah, Pete is WHITE and Barry is BLACK!!! :eek:
  • KG Audio
    edited August 2007

Actually, I think we are very close to being on the same page. I also grew up liking and wanting to be like the greatest 3B of all-time, Mike Schmidt. I even went to the "Stick" to watch Michael Jack play against my Giants.

I think you are getting away from the "baseball" part of the controversy. Rose, Ripken, Gwynn, Bonds, McGwire, A-Fraud, etc. are all great baseball players and to stray from that is to deny these guys their place in history!!!

KG
  • hearingimpared
    edited August 2007
    Yeah, Pete is WHITE and Barry is BLACK!!! :eek:

Whoa hold on there Bro!
  • hearingimpared
    edited August 2007
    I think you are getting away from the "baseball" part of the controversy.

How so? I think rules are rules. Unfortunately there was no rule about steriods in MLB. Cheating is still cheating. Barry, as great an eye he has, for that little white round thing, coming at him 100 mph and being able to lay a round stick on it, would not be able to take them out if he wasn't HULK strong. I'll tell you this, I don't care how many steriods or how many enhancement drugs a guy takes it is not going to give him the ability to see the ball the way Barry Bonds does, however, I must repeat myself, all he has to do is get a piece of that ball and it's gone. That is the cheating part IMHO.

I think Babe Ruth was a fat guy with girls legs but he was a great baseball player. . . not a great all around athlete, a great baseball player.

Rose, Ripken, Gwynn, Bonds, McGwire, A-Fraud, etc. are all great baseball players and to stray from that is to deny these guys their place in history!!!

I agree with all but McGwire. Ripken had his great years but I feel he milked that record and besides, you don't have to be a GREAT baseball player, you have to have stamina, in order to play that many games in a row. . .
  • m00npie
    m00npie Posts: 697
    edited August 2007
    So... any new A ROD fans out there?

I'll have respect for Barry the day he comes clean says in his voice (which is a cross between Mike Tyson & Tony Gwynn)

"I'm sorry guys, I’m a knucklehead and I cheated. Please consider me for the Hall of Fame for my records prior to 2001”
  • m00npie
    m00npie Posts: 697
    edited August 2007
    What Cal Ripken Jr. did was selfish and just hurt his team especially the last few years.

Not to stray from the Barry Bashing party, but I was a bit troubled by this quote…

There are many things that brought about the demise of the O's having winning seasons and Cal was not a factor in that. You want to blame someone or something; blame guaranteed contracts and Albert Bell along with Scott Erickson. Angelos publicly stated that he will no longer match the spending of the Yanks after he got burned by these players. Between those two, the O's had what, $15 million a year in players that got injured and never played for the club again. How is it being selfish by showing up everyday to play ball? Cal did not make the lineup everyday, multiple managers did overtime. Blame them or call them selfish.

Besides, that streak, that record, is what started to bring Baseball back from the strike of 94. Who in their right mind would make the decision to stop that from happening? NO ONE! I was very pleased to be apart of that night sitting 3 rows off of 3rd base. Cal, like Gwynn, are true ambassadors to the sport. Sometimes, it’s more than just statistics in this game that makes a great player. This is the reason why someone like Derek Jeter will eventually make the Hall and Mark McGuire never will.
  • shawn474
    shawn474 Posts: 3,047
    edited August 2007
    KG,
    I understand that you're a fan and being involved in sports my entire life, I realize that this record is special. Fact is BB is a punk to the media (probably rightly so). Also, if this was virtually anyone else, the coverage would be mostly positive. Th ereason that his coverage is negative is manyfold:
    1. He has never treated the media well.
    2. He has been accused of using steroids to break the record.
    3. He is in a no win situation taking away the record from a true baseball pioneer in Hank Aaron.

All that being said, he is NOT the best baseball player I have seen in my 33 short years on this earth. Tony Gwynn was by far the best player I have seen (every year that guy would add 20 pounds and 20 points on his BA). Like it or not, A-Rod is stamping his name in the record books and doing it faster than anyone in hostory. AND he did it the right way.

Also, as a lifelong Baltimore Oriole fan, I disagree with the statement that Cal was selfish and it only takes stamina to accomplish his consecutive games streak. To call him selfish is absurd. That, my friends, is one record that I don't think I will ever see broken.
    Shawn
    AVR: Marantz SR-5011
    Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
    Front: Polk LsiM703
    Rear: LSI fx
    Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
    Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
    DVD Player: Sony PS4
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited August 2007
    ".......Take our advice,
    at any price,
    a gorilla like Magilla is mighty nice,
    Gorilla, Magilla Gorilla for sale!"

The real ball players (the guys that used to brown bag it to the stadium) are gone.
  • nhiltzman
    nhiltzman Posts: 47
    edited August 2007
    I have 2 sets of polkaudio home theater speakers for sale... srt series center channels, towers, rears and subwoofers

3000 series has 650 b&w sub
    1000 series has 650 polk sub, center channel has own sub as well

paid $10,000 for 1000's
    paid $ 6300.00 for 3000's

what are thy worth? both sets are in excellent shape only a couple years old.
    the 1000's are rare. limted few made.
    ANY ADVICE WOULD BE GREAT.
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited August 2007
    Here's some advice.

EFF OFF!!!!! :eek:
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited August 2007
    Well, he did it.

What happens next?

757, that's what's next
  • BottomFeeder
    BottomFeeder Posts: 1,684
    edited August 2007
    By the way, I heard on ESPN that if a person takes "the right steroids," they will dramatically improve their EYESIGHT!

The guy's a major league cheater, pure & simple! Why this is debated I will never understand. & KGaudio, BB should be denied his place in history because he doesn't deserve his place in history. He hasn't earned it.
    "Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then." Bob Seger
  • aaharvel
    aaharvel Posts: 4,489
    edited August 2007
    By the way, I heard on ESPN that if a person takes "the right steroids," they will dramatically improve their EYESIGHT!

The guy's a major league cheater, pure & simple! Why this is debated I will never understand. & KGaudio, BB should be denied his place in history because he doesn't deserve his place in history. He hasn't earned it.

he also doesn't deserve the assumptions you're labeling him with. Last time I checked a jury of his peers hasn't convicted him of anything. He hasn't even failed a drug test. Would I bet my life that he's never done steroids - of course not. I also wouldn't bet my life that no one on here hasn't either. Why can't we just let the investigation conclude - instead of armchair quarterbacks hopping on the latest hate bandwagon.

Like it or not, what Bonds accomplished is a major feat in sports, and I don't even like baseball.
    H/K Signature 2.1+235
    Jungson MagicBoat II
    Revel Performa M-20
    Velodyne cht-10 sub
    Rega P1 Turntable

"People working at Polk Audio must sit around the office and just laugh their balls off reading many of these comments." -Lush
  • krabby5
    krabby5 Posts: 923
    edited August 2007
    I disagree with you.

I'll give him this, he has an eye for the ball but all he has to do is make contact with any part of it and the steroids knock it out of the park.

EDIT: You can't get that big that fast without spending 12 hours a day lifting weights. There is no way Barry Bonds worked that hard and played ball at the same time. Look at pics of his dad, he is not a huge man. So where did Barry get his boost from? Sorry, I am not a Bonds basher and don't boo him when he comes to the city I live in but I do just let my eyes tell me what is obvious here.

wow..he just hits any part of the ball and the steriods take over? I hope you are kidding..:eek:

As far as him getting bigger, he did it over the offseason and showed up for training camp bigger than the previous year..with the aid of drugs? probably..
    The use of steroids allow you to recover faster, which allows you to lift more weights..just the act of taking steroids doesnt make you bigger.. barry must have worked his arse off during that offseason..to me the only thing that raises a question, is would he have been able to be that productive once he reached age 39-40 without steroids...they may have lengthened his career enough to pass Hank..

Steroids or not, Barry Bonds is one of the best players ever to play the game..
    Pioneer Elite VSX-53, Polk RT800i fronts, Polk CS400i center, FX500i surround, Velodyne sub
  • krabby5
    krabby5 Posts: 923
    edited August 2007
    shawn474 wrote: »
    KG,
    I understand that you're a fan and being involved in sports my entire life, I realize that this record is special. Fact is BB is a punk to the media (probably rightly so). Also, if this was virtually anyone else, the coverage would be mostly positive. Th ereason that his coverage is negative is manyfold:
    1. He has never treated the media well.
    2. He has been accused of using steroids to break the record.
    3. He is in a no win situation taking away the record from a true baseball pioneer in Hank Aaron.

All that being said, he is NOT the best baseball player I have seen in my 33 short years on this earth. Tony Gwynn was by far the best player I have seen (every year that guy would add 20 pounds and 20 points on his BA). Like it or not, A-Rod is stamping his name in the record books and doing it faster than anyone in hostory. AND he did it the right way.

Also, as a lifelong Baltimore Oriole fan, I disagree with the statement that Cal was selfish and it only takes stamina to accomplish his consecutive games streak. To call him selfish is absurd. That, my friends, is one record that I don't think I will ever see broken.

Gwynn may have been the best pure hitter in baseball, but he was far from the best player ever..
    Pioneer Elite VSX-53, Polk RT800i fronts, Polk CS400i center, FX500i surround, Velodyne sub
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited August 2007
    Steroids can also significantly shorten a player's career. Just some food for thought.
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited August 2007
    Bond's record will be broken...and then the next greatest player of all times will take his place.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • Demiurge
    edited August 2007
    aaharvel wrote: »
    he also doesn't deserve the assumptions you're labeling him with. Last time I checked a jury of his peers hasn't convicted him of anything. He hasn't even failed a drug test. Would I bet my life that he's never done steroids - of course not. I also wouldn't bet my life that no one on here hasn't either. Why can't we just let the investigation conclude - instead of armchair quarterbacks hopping on the latest hate bandwagon.

Like it or not, what Bonds accomplished is a major feat in sports, and I don't even like baseball.

Pete Rose wasn't convicted of anything for which he was kicked out of baseball and held out of the Hall of Fame for, either, what's your point? It was also long before he admitted anything.

Assumptions?

I thought this was already handled in the other thread, but apparently not.

The BALCO chemist testified to giving Barry Bonds & Gary Sheffield "The Clear" -- AKA Steroids. He did not witness them using it. I'm sure it just ended up in the trash, right? Because people just give others illegal substances all the time without requesting them. I mean, c'mon...put 2 & 2 together.

This was all in front of a Grand Jury. Then there is a man claiming innocence admitting to taking substances that may have been steroids, cloaked as something else, unknowingly.

There is no bloody glove. There's no body. There's not going to be any kind of evidence like that, and even if there was I'm not sure any of you would accept it. They're not going to be able to pull a conviction over something they found out about after the fact. Their concern has been for going after the suppliers.

That doesn't mean the MLB shouldn't do anything about it.

Also, couple that with last nights comments after the fact. Curt Shilling & the Rockies Skipper were spot on. Not too often where you get fellow players and managers bashing a guy for cheating on the record like that. Should speak volumes.
  • jflail2
    jflail2 Posts: 2,868
    edited August 2007
    Honestly, my conversation with a colleague this morning was:

"No way, Bonds hit 756?"

Colleague- "Yea, crazy huh."

me- "Yea......whooptydoo."

Cheater or not, love or hate him, I'd expect all the controversy has ingrained that attitude in more than a few baseball fans. Honestly, I could care less at this point....

But the Yanks are only 5 games back; now that is good news :)
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited August 2007
    Oh great...
    Bonds and Yankees talk.
    I think I'll go poke myself in the eye with a rusty nail:p
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • Demiurge
    edited August 2007
    Thou Shalt Not Worship False Numbers
    July 31, 2007
    By: Steve Czaban - Fox Sports

As we get closer to Bonds-a-Palooza, get ready for the incredible let down that is inevitable once the confetti has all fallen. I guarantee that about 3 days after he breaks the record, you are going to have this feeling of: “Gee. Is that all there is now? What was this all about anyway?”

It’ll be the same way a stoner feels 3 days after sleeping out in front of Best Buy to get the latest Madden.

This just in: Hank Aaron will not be forgotten. Not now, not tomorrow, not ever. And Hank will be just fine without technically being the “Home Run Champ.” He isn’t living off card show money where he only gets paid by holding the record.

Aaron endured far worse than Bonds, done more to inspire generations than Bonds, and will live the rest of his post-career life in far greater dignity than Bonds. Aaron can sleep easy at night knowing he won’t be facing charges of perjury, adultery, or tax evasion.

Barry won’t sleep so well. Especially if Greg Anderson gets out of jail and finds out Bonds has sold him out too.

Wait until you see what his team is planning for Bonds this winter. The Giants will spit him out rudely. They will have cashed their cow, sold their luxury suites, and it’s time to move on. Peter McGowan will now actually have to start selling a quality team to come see, not a lab experiment with a shaved head and a scowl.

I actually look forward to the inevitable Bonds declaration that he was “hurt” by this, probably while signing a one-year deal with the Yankees.

Bonds’ record has been as infused with the talk of steroids as his actual body was, circa 2000-2003. The moment will have been tarnished by the absence of Aaron. Remarkable, since it seems that African American athletes will close ranks and defend anybody in their fraternity. Witness Michael Jordan’s taped message via scoreboard video screen when Bonds pulled within one. What was that all about? Was there a MJ-Bonds connection I’ve missed over the years? I don’t think I’ve ever seen a picture of the two men standing together.

Plus, the highlight reels of Bonds in his “moment” will be full of archival footage of Bonds the Pirate. The stark images of a lean and lanky Bonds then, will only deepen the unease about how he looks today.

Above it all, however, is the little discussed fact that worship of numbers is absurd in sports, and especially so in baseball. As if the #’s translate. As if. Please. Some people still revere baseball numbers that pre-date integration. You’ve got the high mound era, the dead ball era, the expansion era, and on and on. You have numbers that were compiled over a 154 game season, vs. 162. Numbers can’t account for inventions like video swing analysis, computer pitch trend analysis, Astroturf, domes, night games, private jet travel, and on and on again.

Hopefully, Bonds finally breaking the record will kick this tired topic of sports radio to the curb once and for all. I mean, think of it, people. Is there anything else to say, about a stupid little number?

Always appreciate Steve's work, and this I also agree with completely.
  • Demiurge
    edited August 2007
    Oh great...
    Bonds and Yankees talk.
    I think I'll go poke myself in the eye with a rusty nail:p

Aww, just think of fuzzy little puppies and all will be well!

picoday_vickdog.jpg