Why o why?

Comments

• MikeC78
    MikeC78 Posts: 2,315
    edited July 2007
    Some kids just need medication, something some parents will deny and think everything is great.

There is a problem when your child acts like a dog, bangs his head on walls, and licks windows.
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,765
    edited July 2007
    duksbak wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me why customers feel the need to destroy my demo speakers by pushing in my cones with their fingers? It just really sucks to see great audio speakers ruined so easy with a little bit of pressure.

Easily damaged merchandise, like speakers, is best kept in a controlled (locked or attended) environment away from the rest of the store. I know it looks nice to have merchandise out on general display, but in the case of speakers, people generally don't buy them on impulse and usually have an idea of what they want to listen to when they go to the store.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • tcrossma
    tcrossma Posts: 1,301
    edited July 2007
    cfrizz wrote: »
    The difference Tim is that when your kid does break something it will be an accident. Not because he decided to pick it up and throw it, or deliberately poke it to see what would happen.

Maybe, maybe not. No matter how well behaved a child is, how much they have in the way of manners, and how much you try to teach them to be polite, a young child will sometimes do things that make you shake your head. It's just the way kids are.

A 4 year-old might do something destructive because they don't know any better or because some unknown force came over them. Ask them about why they did it and they'll probably just say "I don't know. I didn't mean to".

A 10 year-old might do it because they are pissed at you for not letting them go over their friends house.

A 19 year-old might do it because they are drunk.

An 80 year-old might do it because they tried almost tipped over and need to balance on something.

In all of these cases you'll punish the offender to some degree, and they may possibly never even do it again. But I still feel that because of the sheer volume of people around these days no matter when and where you go you're going to see something that you just shake your head at.

tim
    Speakers: Polk LSi15
    Pre: Adcom GFP-750 with HT Bypass
    Amp: Pass Labs X-150
    CD/DVD Player: Classe CDP-10
    Interconnects: MIT Shortgun S3 Pro XLR
    Speaker cables: MIT MH-750 bi-wire
    TT:Micro Seiki DD-35
    Cartridge:Denon DL-160
    Phono Pre:PS Audio GCPH
  • MSALLA
    MSALLA Posts: 1,602
    edited July 2007
    Silverti wrote: »
    My kids have pretty much scratched the heck out of our 05 Honda Pilot. ITs not parked in the garage, its parked on our slab out front. They have never hit it on purpose. They have accidently run into it numerous times by their bikes as they learned to ride them. It's been pelted by stray balls and dented all over the place. It looks like its 10 years old.

Herein lies the problem. That’s what kids do. There’s more important things in life then beating my kids because they ran their bike into my Pilot. Its just a $40000 piece of equipment that I could replace in a few days, my kids are priceless and I sure as hell am not going to teach them that the Pilot is more important then them by beating them (as people here pretty much suggest aka... throw them in the road) for doing things. Kids are *MORE* important then equipment. It my 5 year old went up and poked my tweeter she would hear about it and be trained not to do it, she wouldn’t be beaten and shown that the tweeter on a $800 speaker is more important then her natural curiosity.

I feel sorry for your kids if that’s how you raise them. That a peice of equipment is more important then they are.

Kids do and will make mistakes and bad judgements, but letting them go just leads to them running amuck. Just because you teach them to be careful not to bang up your car dosen't mean they think it is more important then they are. It might teach them the value of a dollar though. I love my 4 girls but if they scratch my car due to being careless heads are going to roll!!!
    If my kids walked into to a store with me and started poking speakers, then I guess I haven't done my job as a parent.
    Your views seem to be somewhat twisted to me. But it's your life. The fact that your car looks 10 years old just shows you haven't taught them about respecting your property because they haven't stopped damaging your car. "I could replace my $40,000.00 car in a few days" (maybe you don't have any respect for a dollar either.)
    Michael

Samsung 50" HD DLP
    Yamaha RX-V2500
    (2) Outlaw 200
    Adcom GFA 555
    Sony BDP300
    Denon 2900 DVD
    Lsi9's mains
    Lsi7's rear
    Lsic center
    12.1 SVS driver in 4.53 cuft. tube
    Harmony 880
  • snow
    snow Posts: 4,337
    edited July 2007
    My kids have pretty much scratched the heck out of our 05 Honda Pilot. ITs not parked in the garage, its parked on our slab out front. They have never hit it on purpose. They have accidently run into it numerous times by their bikes as they learned to ride them. It's been pelted by stray balls and dented all over the place. It looks like its 10 years old.

Herein lies the problem. That’s what kids do. There’s more important things in life then beating my kids because they ran their bike into my Pilot. Its just a $40000 piece of equipment that I could replace in a few days, my kids are priceless and I sure as hell am not going to teach them that the Pilot is more important then them by beating them (as people here pretty much suggest aka... throw them in the road) for doing things. Kids are *MORE* important then equipment. It my 5 year old went up and poked my tweeter she would hear about it and be trained not to do it, she wouldn’t be beaten and shown that the tweeter on a $800 speaker is more important then her natural curiosity.

I feel sorry for your kids if that’s how you raise them. That a peice of equipment is more important then they are.
    `It sounds like to me that you dont even try to keep an eye on your kids.

(They have never hit it on purpose. They have accidently run into it numerous times by their bikes as they learned to ride them. It's been pelted by stray balls and dented all over the place. It looks like its 10 years old.)

Perhaps you should have been there watching them as they were learning to ride there bikes? Or Maybe take them to a local park where there is room to ride?

(That’s what kids do) Hmmmm...... No thats what your kids do over and over again obviously because there is no parent telling and teaching them its not ok!!!

Kids need and actually want rules in there life believe it or not. And I can tell you one thing for sure if they dont get if before there teenagers, they will turn into at best irresponsible adults.

At worst serial murderers, rapists, thieves, drug addicts and the like.

There is no need to beat your children half to death. but there is a need for disipline of some sort. You need to start before its too late.

REGARDS SNOW
    Well, I just pulled off the impossible by doing a double-blind comparison all by myself, purely by virtue of the fact that I completely and stupidly forgot what I did last. I guess that getting old does have its advantages after all :D
  • MSALLA
    MSALLA Posts: 1,602
    edited July 2007
    snow wrote: »

Kids need and actually want rules in there life believe it or not.

REGARDS SNOW

No truer words have ever been spoken. Kids need and want (even though they might not know it) structure. No one wants to be the heavy and I feel bad yelling at my kids for doing something that I also did as a kid but it needs to be done for their own good. I'm harder on my kids then my parents were on me. I also have a closer relationship with them and they don't get into a quarter of the trouble I used to get into.
    Michael

Samsung 50" HD DLP
    Yamaha RX-V2500
    (2) Outlaw 200
    Adcom GFA 555
    Sony BDP300
    Denon 2900 DVD
    Lsi9's mains
    Lsi7's rear
    Lsic center
    12.1 SVS driver in 4.53 cuft. tube
    Harmony 880
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited July 2007
    wow, bring on the Super Nanny............

now there is a chick a little tight in the knickers, I just bet she's kinky.

RT1
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited July 2007
    duksbak wrote: »
    (I work A/V retail)

Can anyone tell me why customers feel the need to destroy my demo speakers by pushing in my cones with their fingers? It just really sucks to see great audio speakers ruined so easy with a little bit of pressure.

I swear if I ever catch someone, they are gonna have to fire me for cutting off their fingers.

Do you work in a high end shop? Man, if I was a parent with a young toddler or similar, I wouln't even bring them in your shop.

I'd be like you and lose my cool pretty easy if something like that were to happen.
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,600
    edited July 2007
    Shizelbs wrote: »
    Do you work in a high end shop? Man, if I was a parent with a young toddler or similar, I wouln't even bring them in your shop.

I'd be like you and lose my cool pretty easy if something like that were to happen.

Hell, I won't even bring the Mrs. into a high end shop!
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited July 2007
    ROTFLMAO!!!! That's not nice!:D :D:D:D
    sucks2beme wrote: »
    Hell, I won't even bring the Mrs. into a high end shop!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Nisqually Dave
    Nisqually Dave Posts: 220
    edited July 2007
    You don't have to spank a child to teach respect and this includes respect for everyone including family, but the fact is it is a tool that can be used when needed.

My childen who are now 35, 34 and my son who passed away at 17, and my youngest who is 15, learned respect through love and teaching. Also new that if they deserved to be spanked it would come with respect and not out of anger.

I can truthfully say that I don't think between all of them from the age of five on, that they were spanked more than once. They have made their way in this life with this foundation and I am very proud of them.

This said if my child would have done any damage like what has been talked about here there would be no question that I would have stepped forward to take responsibility for what they had done.
  • 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited July 2007
    I remember my parents use to tell me....When something belongs to you, take care of it. If something does not belong to you, then you need to be more careful with it because it is not yours.

I use to wonder about that as a little kid...I later said the same thing to my kids.

I wonder about kids/people sometimes, and what they are taught. I notice alot of times now that when I am driving and stop to let someone cross the street, hardly anyone says thank you anymore. This is after nobody else was stopping. Also, my kids always hold the door open for people coming behind them, even when they are a little bit aways. There are many people who don't even bother to say thanks for that either. This happened when they were little too. I would just tell the kids, you will encounter rude people throught your life....don't let them change you, just keep being the way you guys are. I do have to say that on a couple of ocassions I did say your welcome loud enough for those individuals to hear it.
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited August 2007
    Nisqually & 1996, sounds like you 2 are good dads! Your kids are very fortunate to have you in thier lives!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited August 2007
    Nisqually...
    I'm sorry to hear of the loss of your child. I hope that you have found as much peace as possible.
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited August 2007

I appreciate you position on this. However, if my car were parked across the street or if you were visiting and my speakers became the game of the day, I would expect you to take responsibility for damages. So many people just say "well, they are just kids, you want me to pay for what??" and act like it is out of their hands. Really don't know your position on this aspect. :)

madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited August 2007
    snow wrote: »
    `It sounds like to me that you dont even try to keep an eye on your kids.

(They have never hit it on purpose. They have accidently run into it numerous times by their bikes as they learned to ride them. It's been pelted by stray balls and dented all over the place. It looks like its 10 years old.)

Perhaps you should have been there watching them as they were learning to ride there bikes? Or Maybe take them to a local park where there is room to ride?

(That’s what kids do) Hmmmm...... No thats what your kids do over and over again obviously because there is no parent telling and teaching them its not ok!!!

Kids need and actually want rules in there life believe it or not. And I can tell you one thing for sure if they dont get if before there teenagers, they will turn into at best irresponsible adults.

At worst serial murderers, rapists, thieves, drug addicts and the like.

There is no need to beat your children half to death. but there is a need for disipline of some sort. You need to start before its too late.

REGARDS SNOW

To keep with the idiot tradition of this thread in assumptions Ill throw my own out.

My kids are smarter and much better behaved then all of yours.

That statement fits perfectly with the **** hat “assumption” responses here. See, I can make assumtions to.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,600
    edited August 2007
    My guess is more adults (18+)do the real damage. I've seen idiots pull off
    speaker covers and touch all the drivers in BB and CC. Why would anyone need to touch them?
    Other than the true audio perv, that is!(pants optional)
    How many broken RTI pegs do you see in demo rooms? All the RTI's I bought came
    from the CC demo room, and I got rather good at fixing broken pegs.
    My personal favorite- some idiot sets the volume up, then starts the cd player.
    Blast city. CC and BB did away with demo rooms, since they didn't seem to
    want to baby sit the customers. Magnolia shops still have a demo room, although good
    luck getting a cd in and out of the BB store to get to the
    Magnolia area of the store. And there are never any demo cd's in the Magnolia area.
    Fry's just runs that stupid drum line demo over and over.
    All good reasons to go to the quiet high end shop. No kids. No idiots.
    Real demo rooms. Real speakers.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • MikeC78
    MikeC78 Posts: 2,315
    edited August 2007
    To keep with the idiot tradition of this thread in assumptions Ill throw my own out.

That statement fits perfectly with the **** hat “assumption” responses here. See, I can make assumtions to.

Perfect explanation! Sounds like you need to be medicated too, asshat.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited August 2007
    pushing in the tweeter cones with fingers doesn't exactly ruin them.. they just look like crap after it. you should post a sign... you push in any tweeters, consider them sold to you. no returns!
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • danger boy
    edited August 2007
    I like the 80 yr old child. tripping over speakers.. LOL
  • snow
    snow Posts: 4,337
    edited August 2007

Sorry silver but theres not a lot of assuming here going on with statements like the kids have ran into my car MULTIPULE times. I can understand once, yes accidents happen and they are kids. But at some point you have to take responsibility as a parent and say kids lets not run into the car, lets take our bikes elsewhere. It kind of shows a pattern of the kids are allowed to do pretty much anything without supervision or guidance. doesnt it?

Yes im sure your children are better than any one elses in every way, because you have a special way of raising them. And it shows on your car!! im sure in your house also.

REGARDS SNOW
    Well, I just pulled off the impossible by doing a double-blind comparison all by myself, purely by virtue of the fact that I completely and stupidly forgot what I did last. I guess that getting old does have its advantages after all :D
  • madmax
    edited August 2007
    I don't remember ever damaging anything belonging to someone else as a kid. I didn't know what exactly would happen if I did but knew I didn't want to find out. Cars, well, I knew they were expensive and if I rode my bike around them I might scratch one.

• edbert
    edbert Posts: 1,041
    edited August 2007
    madmax wrote: »
    Cars, well, I knew they were expensive and if I rode my bike around them I might scratch one.

Not only that, but I remember that if I was riding close to either one of my parents cars or a parked car and thought I might hit it, I would make my self crash just to avoid hitting it. Sure I got a few extra cuts and bruises, but you're a kid, that's what you do.

My daughter is only 11 months old and already understands some of what is hers and what is not hers. We have a smaller dog (20 lbs.) and he has his own toys that are scattered around the house much like our daughter's are. They both know whose toys are whose and don't play with either as though they are their own.

The respect that you teach your kids is not just for other people's property, but for things in life in general. Respect for elders, respect for the danger of playing in the street and the dangers involved if you do, etc.
    I know just enough to be dangerous, but don't tell my wife, she thinks I'm a genius. :D

Pioneer VSX-816
    Monitor 40's - fronts, bi-amped
    Monitor 30's - surrounds
    CS1 - center
    PSW10 - I'll let you guess
    Blue Jeans Cable - speaker cable
    Daewoo 27 incher - one step up from a console
    Sony Progressive scan DVD
    XBOX

SOPA since 2008
    Here's my stuff.
  • edbert
    edited August 2007
    Along the same lines of respecting other people, where do ya'll stand on kids in restaurants. We have already started teaching our daughter that she stays in her seat until the meal is finished and we are ready to leave. I can't stand to see kids who are allowed to just roam around restaurants as if they are their house or the parents tending to each little whim the kids asks for.

Here she is walking outside yesterday. Not that I'm not proud or anything, but she's the best daughter ever.
    I know just enough to be dangerous, but don't tell my wife, she thinks I'm a genius. :D

Pioneer VSX-816
    Monitor 30's - surrounds
    CS1 - center
    XBOX

SOPA since 2008
    Here's my stuff.
  • madmax
    edited August 2007
    I couldn't care less about kids in restaurants unless they are screaming or poking at people. OR messing around a food bar, now that sets me off...

As for in the street, the only things parents seem good for these days is to witness accidents. They certainly don't teach their kids to not walk out in front of cars, or even look for them. Yesterday when I went home (driving my fire breathing camaro that sounds like it will run you down) this whole family was walking down the middle of the street. They paid absolutley no attention as I approached. I went around them obviously.

• zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited August 2007
    edbert wrote: »
    Along the same lines of respecting other people, where do ya'll stand on kids in restaurants.

The other night, the wife and I were at a sushi restaurant and a kid waddles over and sticks his finger right in my Atomic Roll. Seriously.
    The parents just started laughing... like "kids will be kids" and I guess we were expected to laugh along with 'em.

From the outside looking in, yeah, it was kind of funny. But seriously, who takes their four year old kid to dine on sushi? And who let's them just amble about sticking their dickbeaters (thanks Russman for the reference) in other people's sushi?

Seriously.

No....

for real.
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • edbert
    edited August 2007
    The reason I mention it is because we were out with some friends the other night and they actually brought in a portable DVD player to entertain their daughter while eating. She was in and out of the seat, wanting to just walk around and do whatever. Pretty annoying.

Pioneer VSX-816
    Monitor 30's - surrounds
    CS1 - center
    XBOX

SOPA since 2008
    Here's my stuff.
  • danger boy
    edited August 2007
    The other night, the wife and I were at a sushi restaurant and a kid waddles over and sticks his finger right in my Atomic Roll. Seriously.
    The parents just started laughing... like "kids will be kids" and I guess we were expected to laugh along with 'em.

From the outside looking in, yeah, it was kind of funny. But seriously, who takes their four year old kid to dine on sushi? And who let's them just amble about sticking their dickbeaters (thanks Russman for the reference) in other people's sushi?

Seriously.

No....

for real.

that bites... I would have said to the parents.. thanks for dinner and left the bill with them.

If they had any decency they should have bought you a new atomic roll at least.

I used to just blow stuff like this off.. but why? Well, I no longer let people get away with this kind of BS anymore. People need to be held accountable for their actions.. yes even 4 yr olds.
  • SLOCOOKN
    SLOCOOKN Posts: 704
    edited August 2007
    Try this out next time you are out and have a problem!
    :eek: From the bottom it looks like a steep incline, From the top another down hill slope of mine.:mad: But I know the equilibrium's there!:cool: .."Faith No More" :D
    Sony cx985v (for now)
    BBE 482i
    B&K AVP 1030
    Adcom GFA 555 mk 2
    AudioQuest Crystal 2 spk wire
    Nordost RCA
    SDA 3.1 tl RD0 tweets
    Belkin pf60
    Carver TFM 55x
    Signal Analog 2 RCA
    AudioQuestType 4
    VMPS Original Tall Boy (Mega Woofers soon)
  • danger boy
    edited August 2007
    just one of the many uses for duct tape. me like it. ;)