Why o why?

duksbak
duksbak Posts: 134
edited August 2007 in The Clubhouse
(I work A/V retail)

Can anyone tell me why customers feel the need to destroy my demo speakers by pushing in my cones with their fingers? It just really sucks to see great audio speakers ruined so easy with a little bit of pressure.

I swear if I ever catch someone, they are gonna have to fire me for cutting off their fingers.
Television: Mitsubishi WD-57732
Front R/L: Polkaudio RTiA7
Center: Polkaudio CSiA4
Rear R/L: Polkaudio FXiA4
Subwoofer: Polkaudio DSW600
A/V Reciever: Denon 2808
DVD/SACD: Sony Playstation 3
Post edited by duksbak on

Comments

• Drumingman
    Drumingman Posts: 348
    edited July 2007
    Because people are generally A-Holes, Stupid and rude. This is what happens when you stop "Thinning The Herd".
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,980
    edited July 2007
    Lead those folks to the Bose display area. Problem solved.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited July 2007
    I would start punching people.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • MikeC78
    MikeC78 Posts: 2,315
    edited July 2007
    I thought that was standard protocol to check out the voice coil?:o:rolleyes:

I'd make them purchase the speaker if they were ever caught doing that.
  • ntculenuff
    ntculenuff Posts: 1,146
    edited July 2007
    this was my biggest pet peeve when i worked at an electronics store that and there snotty little kids playing with all the gear and running around the speakers like it was a jungle gym
    Speakers:
    Definitive BP7001sc mains
    Definitive C/L/R 3000 center
    Polk RT800i's rears
    Definitive supercube I Sub
    Audio:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010
    Emotiva XPA five Gen 3
    OPPO BDP-103 CD, SACD, DVD-A
    Video:
    Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
    OPPO BDP-103 Bluray
    Directv x's 2
  • woofiepaws
    woofiepaws Posts: 215
    edited July 2007
    "Oh, you wish to bring your child? May I please take an imprint on your credit card?"

The guy at my local hi-fi shop said a kid poked out $20K worth of tweeters whille his dad was haggling over some really average cables.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited July 2007
    The parents don't discipline, and the children have no respect.

I'd kick them in the nuts.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited July 2007
    Make them pay for replacement parts if caught, and they refuse to pay have them arrested for destruction of property. Now all you have to do is catch them!
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Rivrrat
    Rivrrat Posts: 2,101
    edited July 2007
    A handfull of small isolators, some discreet wire, a metal screen, and some ac current will solve the problem. If the floor happens to be wet, it's even better.

And the plus side is, you'll know right away who effd with the speaker.
    My equipment sig felt inadequate and deleted itself.
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited July 2007
    Damn man, kids are kids and all you did it as kids to lol. I sure as hell remember poking at tweeters as a kid, never damaged them but poked at them.., Thank god my parents didn’t mico manage every action I did as a kid. People have kids, most of the people who can afford stereos have kids. Here’s an idea... how about making it harder for kids to walk up and punch out tweeters. You sure as hell aren’t going to get rid of kids, they aint gonna disappear off the face of the earth one day, you might as well start dealing with them. Kids do all kinds of crazy things when you turn your back.. thats why they are kids. If not they would be "little adults" that run around like well behaved adult humans that would never punch out a nice round fun thing to poke at.

Lol.. you guys are ridiculous in some of those comments. "discipline"...

god.. some of you were probably caught in the back of your house playing with matches... I sure as hell was.
    I burned up them Star Wars figures good.

But no, my 5 and 7 year old have never once touched my speakers.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,437
    edited July 2007
    That's some seriously flawed logic you've got there. I have to wonder how'd you feel if some kid punched out a nice round fun thing on something with a bit more value than your inexpensive speakers, say something like your Lexus.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• snow
    snow Posts: 4,337
    edited July 2007
    ben62670 wrote: »
    Make them pay for replacement parts if caught, and they refuse to pay have them arrested for destruction of property. Now all you have to do is catch them!
    Sounds like a really great place to put a camera and a video tape recorder to me.:p

REGARDS SNOW
    Well, I just pulled off the impossible by doing a double-blind comparison all by myself, purely by virtue of the fact that I completely and stupidly forgot what I did last. I guess that getting old does have its advantages after all :D
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,670
    edited July 2007
    Silverti wrote:
    Damn man, kids are kids and all you did it as kids to lol. I sure as hell remember poking at tweeters as a kid, never damaged them but poked at them

And there, Horatio, is the rub.
    Silverti wrote:
    Thank god my parents didn’t mico manage every action I did as a kid. People have kids, most of the people who can afford stereos have kids. Here’s an idea... how about making it harder for kids to walk up and punch out tweeters.

How about you teaching your kids some manners.
    Or, if you're too lazy/incompetent, then I will.
    Silverti wrote:
    You sure as hell aren’t going to get rid of kids, they aint gonna disappear off the face of the earth one day, you might as well start dealing with them.

Okay, .... see my previous point.

Silverti wrote:
    Kids do all kinds of crazy things when you turn your back.. thats why they are kids. If not they would be "little adults" that run around like well behaved adult humans that would never punch out a nice round fun thing to poke at.

Grandson's 18 months old. After "mama" and "dada", some of the first words he used were "Please" and "Thank You". These words were used with him in return.
    Manners.
    Don't have them ? Than you were raised by goats.
    Your kids don't have them ? Than you're a goat.
    Silverti wrote:
    god.. some of you were probably caught in the back of your house playing with matches... I sure as hell was.
    I burned up them Star Wars figures good.

No, you burned up YOUR Star Wars figures good.
    Not mine. Not your neighbors.
    Yours.
    That makes all the difference in the world.
    Sal Palooza
  • skipf
    skipf Posts: 694
    edited July 2007
    Might be an overly simple question, but why don't you just keep the grill covers in place? If they can't see the domes, they aren't tempted to poke 'em to see what happens. If a buyer wants to see the drivers, remove the cover and replace after viewing.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited July 2007
    Thank you BBL!

It is people like Silverti who are raising up ill mannered kids that I want to throw out into traffic!

When our parents took us out, they expected us to behave, stay close by thier sides, & keep our hands to ourselves! If we didn't, our butts got torn up when we got home.

We never pitched a fit in the middle of a store & embarrased our parents, because we were never allowed to pitch a fit at home. If we did, we were REALLY given something to pitch a fit about.

My brother was the only one of us who played with matches and burned a hole in our Grandmothers bedspread. He is also the only one of us that got a whipping that was heard throughout the neighborhood. But he never played with matches again!

If you are not going to teach your kids at HOME how to behave there or in public, you and the worthless brats STAY HOME! If you insist on bringing them with you, you better be prepared to keep them in line!

More & more, society is no longer willing to be tolerant of ill mannered kids & do nothing parents. They are being kicked off of planes, booted out of restaurants & generally being told to assume control of thier monsters!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,670
    edited July 2007
    Just want to make clear, in my previous post that was a generic "You"; referring to people in general.
    Sal Palooza
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited July 2007
    I will never confess what I did during low light in the corner of the garage to Barbie or her cute little brunette friend.

hehehehehe

I would suggest Parents take care of their children, otherwise, the young ones have a good chance of meeting a nice man like me one day, oh, lucky lucky them.

RT1
  • Systems
    edited July 2007
    And there, Horatio, is the rub.

How about you teaching your kids some manners.
    Or, if you're too lazy/incompetent, then I will.

Okay, .... see my previous point.

Grandson's 18 months old. After "mama" and "dada", some of the first words he used were "Please" and "Thank You". These words were used with him in return.
    Manners.
    Don't have them ? Than you were raised by goats.
    Your kids don't have them ? Than you're a goat.

No, you burned up YOUR Star Wars figures good.
    Not mine. Not your neighbors.
    Yours.
    That makes all the difference in the world.
    Well, I certainly hope *you* don’t have kids. Keep them genetics to yourself. I fear its to late. People like you live in a fantasy work of lil mini-adults running around that are all perfect and when they aren't, its always the parents fault right? Kids would never ever do anything wrong if they had good parents right! Talk all the personal crap you want, my kids are probalby more behaved then you are (clearly by your post).
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Systems
    edited July 2007
    cfrizz wrote: »
    Thank you BBL!

It is people like Silverti who are raising up ill mannered kids that I want to throw out into traffic!

When our parents took us out, they expected us to behave, stay close by thier sides, & keep our hands to ourselves! If we didn't, our butts got torn up when we got home.

We never pitched a fit in the middle of a store & embarrased our parents, because we were never allowed to pitch a fit at home. If we did, we were REALLY given something to pitch a fit about.

My brother was the only one of us who played with matches and burned a hole in our Grandmothers bedspread. He is also the only one of us that got a whipping that was heard throughout the neighborhood. But he never played with matches again!

If you are not going to teach your kids at HOME how to behave there or in public, you and the worthless brats STAY HOME! If you insist on bringing them with you, you better be prepared to keep them in line!

More & more, society is no longer willing to be tolerant of ill mannered kids & do nothing parents. They are being kicked off of planes, booted out of restaurants & generally being told to assume control of thier monsters!

Look at this post dude *YOU ARE ONE OF THOSE KIDS!!!*...

Shall we throw you into traffic?
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • michael_w
    michael_w Posts: 2,813
    edited July 2007
    When I worked in retail (big box store :rolleyes: ) the employees were half the problem. If the employees didn't even give a damn about the dust caps, why would the customers? It was sad.
  • Systems
    edited July 2007
    F1nut wrote: »
    That's some seriously flawed logic you've got there. I have to wonder how'd you feel if some kid punched out a nice round fun thing on something with a bit more value than your inexpensive speakers, say something like your Lexus.

My kids have pretty much scratched the heck out of our 05 Honda Pilot. ITs not parked in the garage, its parked on our slab out front. They have never hit it on purpose. They have accidently run into it numerous times by their bikes as they learned to ride them. It's been pelted by stray balls and dented all over the place. It looks like its 10 years old.

Herein lies the problem. That’s what kids do. There’s more important things in life then beating my kids because they ran their bike into my Pilot. Its just a $40000 piece of equipment that I could replace in a few days, my kids are priceless and I sure as hell am not going to teach them that the Pilot is more important then them by beating them (as people here pretty much suggest aka... throw them in the road) for doing things. Kids are *MORE* important then equipment. It my 5 year old went up and poked my tweeter she would hear about it and be trained not to do it, she wouldn’t be beaten and shown that the tweeter on a $800 speaker is more important then her natural curiosity.

I feel sorry for your kids if that’s how you raise them. That a peice of equipment is more important then they are.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,437
    edited July 2007
    Obviously, the point here has buzzed your tower as you're the only one not getting it. Good luck with those kids, you're going to need it.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited July 2007
    I have talked about respect with my kids alot throughout their lives. Interestingly this issue came up one of our trips to the audio shop when they were little. I quickly made it very clear that it was not acceptable to touch the speakers. Funny thing was there were other kids there doing that, but their parents did not mention anything. I never understood how these people allow their kids to destroy someone elses property.
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited July 2007
    Silverti wrote: »
    My kids have pretty much scratched the heck out of our 05 Honda Pilot. ITs not parked in the garage, its parked on our slab out front. They have never hit it on purpose. They have accidently run into it numerous times by their bikes as they learned to ride them. It's been pelted by stray balls and dented all over the place. It looks like its 10 years old.

Herein lies the problem. That’s what kids do. There’s more important things in life then beating my kids because they ran their bike into my Pilot. Its just a $40000 piece of equipment that I could replace in a few days, my kids are priceless and I sure as hell am not going to teach them that the Pilot is more important then them by beating them (as people here pretty much suggest aka... throw them in the road) for doing things. Kids are *MORE* important then equipment. It my 5 year old went up and poked my tweeter she would hear about it and be trained not to do it, she wouldn’t be beaten and shown that the tweeter on a $800 speaker is more important then her natural curiosity.

I feel sorry for your kids if that’s how you raise them. That a peice of equipment is more important then they are.

It is about respect....has nothing to do with thinking that a piece of equipment is more important. My kids mean the world to me, this is the reason I want to teach them the best that I can, and instill good values in them.
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • MikeC78
    MikeC78 Posts: 2,315
    edited July 2007

:eek: WOW!!

Perfect example on why kids in society are the way they are today.
  • read-alot
    read-alot Posts: 812
    edited July 2007
    I have talked about respect with my kids alot throughout their lives. Interestingly this issue came up one of our trips to the audio shop when they were little. I quickly made it very clear that it was not acceptable to touch the speakers. Funny thing was there were other kids there doing that, but their parents did not mention anything. I never understood how these people allow their kids to destroy someone elses property.

The chain was broken or never started. Some people thought I was tough on my children, when those same people see me now many years later they tell me how well mannered and respectful my son and daughter turned out. I tell them that's what those little swats to the backside taught.
    polkaudio SRS (rdo194 x 8)
    Dodd ELP (separate power supply)
    JC 1 blocks ( strapped )
    Rega Apollo
    MIT (speaker cables) Outlaw (ICs)

polkaudio SDA2(rdo194x4) (front) polkaudio CRS (rdo194x4)(rear) polkaudio 400i (center)
    B&K 505
    Samsung LCD
    VIP 622
    HSU STF-2
  • carpenter
    carpenter Posts: 362
    edited July 2007
    because they resemble nipples.
    "If the global crisis continues, by the end of the year Only two Banks will be operational, the Blood Bank and the Sperm Bank. Then these 2 banks will merge and it will be called 'The Bloody **** Bank'"
  • cfrizz
    edited July 2007
    Wrong! I was NEVER allowed to be one of those kids because my parents raised me to respect them, respect other people, don't touch what doesn't belong to me, & behave myself in public! And I was taught all of this BEFORE they took me out in public!

Look at this post dude *YOU ARE ONE OF THOSE KIDS!!!*...

Shall we throw you into traffic?
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • tcrossma
    tcrossma Posts: 1,301
    edited July 2007
    There are a lot of people around these days, all going out shopping with their children. Kids will be kids, regardless of how well behaved they *usually* are and how much respect they have. My children are well mannered, respectful, and I couldn't be happier with their development.

That being said, my 4 year old boy sometimes reminds me of Bam-Bam, and there's not a damn thing that can be done about it. He hasn't destroyed anything in a store yet, and he is instructed to behave in public and respect other people's property. But i'll be VERY surprised if, someday, he doesn't break something while out shopping.

For those of you who want to fool yourselves and tell yourself that you (or you perfectly behaved children) never destroyed something as a child, you're just kidding yourself. There are so many people around these days that even if one child destroyed something in a store once before getting spoken to and never doing it again, that still a lot of destruction taking place.

No, the bigger problem here is drivers. Why are there so many g#@ d#%@ bad drivers on the road? Everyone probably thinks they are a good drivers (just like they have perfect kids), but I think 98% of people are horrible drivers, so...

tim
    Speakers: Polk LSi15
    Pre: Adcom GFP-750 with HT Bypass
    Amp: Pass Labs X-150
    CD/DVD Player: Classe CDP-10
    Interconnects: MIT Shortgun S3 Pro XLR
    Speaker cables: MIT MH-750 bi-wire
    TT:Micro Seiki DD-35
    Cartridge:Denon DL-160
    Phono Pre:PS Audio GCPH
  • cfrizz
    edited July 2007
    The difference Tim is that when your kid does break something it will be an accident. Not because he decided to pick it up and throw it, or deliberately poke it to see what would happen.