OFFICIAL install update thread!!!!

Options

Comments

• black magic
    black magic Posts: 669
    edited July 2008
    Options
    If you don't mind me asking, what are you using for sound deadener?

I just started making a-pillars and speaker pods for my SR components. I'll post up pics when I'm all done - hopefully that'll be in the next day or two... maybe three :)
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited July 2008
    Options
    I use all second skin products. And by all, I mean I use almost everything they make :)
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • exalted512
    edited July 2008
    Options
    It fits! Found the perfect spot, just have to redrill the holes where the bolts pass through the door skin and seal it in! Maybe I will get through today...wishful thinking though, its hot as hell outside and I'm taking breaks every 30 minutes.
    -Cody
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited July 2008
    Options
    Then go do it!!!

Man, it's finally coming together. I'm sure I'm not as excited as you are, but I'm still excited to see something resembling a final product.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited July 2008
    Options
    I know the feeling dude. I was living in Texas when I installed my first amp in my old Ram. About 101 outside!! It took me almost 6 hours to install a single amp!! Cant get very far when you have to go inside and cool off every 15 minutes.

Did the same thing when I installed my first set of SR's. If was Dec and it was 19 degrees outside. Id work as long as I had feeling in my fingers then go inside and bury them between the couch cushions til the feeling came back then went back outside.

All I can say is THANK GOD IVE GOT A GARAGE NOW!
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • eloplayspolo
    eloplayspolo Posts: 1,117
    edited July 2008
    Options
    learn 2 southern california :)
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Audible Physics 3 Way: H6MB, AR3-A, AR2.0
    Image Dynamics iDMax 12" D2v4
    (2) Alpine PDX-V9 Bridged, Alpine PDX-M12 (500w Mid-Bass, 200w Mid, 200w Tweet, 1200w Sub)
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited July 2008
    Options
    Cant afford the taxes.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited July 2008
    Options
    MacLeod wrote: »
    I know the feeling dude. I was living in Texas when I installed my first amp in my old Ram. About 101 outside!! It took me almost 6 hours to install a single amp!! Cant get very far when you have to go inside and cool off every 15 minutes.

Did the same thing when I installed my first set of SR's. If was Dec and it was 19 degrees outside. Id work as long as I had feeling in my fingers then go inside and bury them between the couch cushions til the feeling came back then went back outside.

All I can say is THANK GOD IVE GOT A GARAGE NOW!

Having a garage is beautiful thing :D.

That kind of heat reminds me of a couple of things...a few weeks back I helped my buddy move. It was 105 degrees that day :eek:. The first time I went paint balling...last year..it was 102 degrees :eek:....it was still fun though :).

MacLeod wrote: »
    Cant afford the taxes.

That is a pain :(
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • exalted512
    edited July 2008
    Options
    learn 2 southern california :)

I would love to be in fountain valley right now, its 20 degrees cooler there!

Lunch time. Got the ring mounted, just have to wait for the adhesive to dry, then another layer. Just waiting on that means I won't get done today, but hopefully everything else will be ready!

-Cody
  • exalted512
    edited July 2008
    Options
    Well, work has officially ended for the day. The driver's door is done though! I have to wait for the deadener to dry before I can mount the speaker, but its done. I will have to deaden the door panel itself, but I need to wait so I can see where I can put deadener and where theres no room for it.

The passenger side door just needs to be sealed off, finish adhering the baffle to the door, and a coat of firewall on that...so it has about 2-3 hours of work for it to be done. Right now, I just have to wait for the stuff I'm using to mount the baffle to dry.

Where I moved the baffle to, I was only able to mount it with one of the two screws I used before I needed to move it. Because of that, I had to zip tie one part in while waiting for the glue to dry. The ziptie is also in the way of where I need to glue, so its going to have to set over night before I trust that it wont budge when I cut the ziptie off. Part of the door where I'm mounting to is very deep, and I filled it all up with the glue...or at least half now, and half when it dries. If I dont wait for it to dry, the inside will never dry...not a good thing...hopefully I can get it finished during the week, which doesn't seem very hard to accomplish.

Andddddd...we've been out of water since 12 because there was a leak down the road...joy.
    -Cody
  • black magic
    edited July 2008
    Options
    You guys are at least lucky you can work on your installs all year round. Unless you have a heated garage up here, thats pretty much wishful thinking. Sometimes I plug in 2 or 3 heaters into my garage and do some simple things. And even then, my fingers freeze!
  • exalted512
    edited July 2008
    Options
    so move!
    -Cody
  • black magic
    edited July 2008
    Options
    I love Canada. I'll never move! :D

I like the different seasons, but i guess that comes with its disadvantages like being cold and the inability to do anything to my car. The weather for the past two weeks has been beautiful, though. This weekend, I spent pretty much all day on Friday and Saturday fiberglassing speaker pods and tweeter mounts. Its kind of my first time doing this kind of work so it took me a while. I'm pretty much all done. Just need to lay down a few more coats of paint and one or two coats of clear coat.

I'm glad to hear your install is coming along well also.
  • exalted512
    edited July 2008
    Options
    Pics updated!
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/531337/10
    Final product!
    531337_502_full.jpg
    531337_503_full.jpg
    -Cody
  • black magic
    edited July 2008
    Options
    wow... if that isn't a deadened door, I don't know what is!

keep up the good work.
  • audiobliss
    edited July 2008
    Options
    I feel sorry for your door hinges...:(
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • exalted512
    edited July 2008
    Options
    audiobliss wrote: »
    I feel sorry for your door hinges...:(

good thing its a GM and not mopar :)
    -Cody
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,751
    edited July 2008
    Options
    You got crap all over the handle.

What did you use to put it on? A butter knife?
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • audiobliss
    edited July 2008
    Options
    exalted512 wrote: »
    good thing its a GM and not mopar :)
    -Cody
    :confused:

:(:o:mad::(

:p
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • bigaudiofanatic
    bigaudiofanatic Posts: 4,415
    edited July 2008
    Options
    OMG ur honges are going to snap. Looks like u put lard on the door/
    HT setup
    Panasonic 50" TH-50PZ80U
    Denon DBP-1610
    Monster HTS 1650
    Carver A400X :cool:
    MIT Exp 3 Speaker Wire
    Kef 104/2
    URC MX-780 Remote
    Sonos Play 1

Living Room
    63 inch Samsung PN63C800YF
    Polk Surroundbar 3000
    Samsung BD-C7900
  • exalted512
    edited July 2008
    Options
    I used a foam brush to put it on. the stuff on the handle is from where it dripped off. it rubs off.
    -Cody
  • exalted512
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Bet you guys dont even remember this thread existed...haha.

Well, I'm done with school so I've had a lot more time lately...unfortunately, its all my effort has been into job hunting and doing stuff for our new house (and all my money too!)

Anyway, I was telling myself I want to get started again in May. I got a bit of a head start.

Im going to have to send off my T8002 to get fixed at RF. For whatever reason, it likes to randomly put out DC voltage. So that amp will be coming out soon and getting sent off.

I recently pulled my door panel off because the doorlock rod was getting stuck. So I cleaned around it really good and put some grease in it. I'll get the panel put back on when i swap out my t8002 for my t3002 for a temporary setup...hopefully thatll happen soon.

So on to the pics of what I actually have got done lately, my a-pillars. A while back I did some testing with my midrange and tweeter to find out the best placement. Im sure the angles might be slightly off because I was just going off memory, but at this point, I dont care...its close enough and Im going to have to use time alignment anyway.

Heres the start. Mounting rings for the midrange and tweeter set in place, ready to be wrapped.
    5634cfc5.jpg

Sanded down and holes drilled. Sanding helps the resin bond to the plastic. The holes will let resin seep through and itll hold it from both sides:
    24c122ee.jpg

Wrapped in material. Got the material from JoAnns scrap pile for $2...stretches great and its thin which is great for fitment issues when the panel has to go back into place.
    233d0412.jpg

First coat of resin:
    7e2d12c2.jpg

Few coats of resin:
    f7ded3be.jpg

Final coat of resin with fiberglass mat in select places
    d1731a7d.jpg

Later on this week, Ill be able to start the body work on it. I hate sanding :(
    -Cody
  • arun1963
    arun1963 Posts: 1,797
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Looks like the mid range will fire at each other and the tweets will crossfire, right?
  • exalted512
    edited April 2010
    Options
    arun1963 wrote: »
    Looks like the mid range will fire at each other and the tweets will crossfire, right?

Yup. Midranges are going parallel with the windshield, tweeters are facing at the opposite head rests.
    -Cody
  • exalted512
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Coming along a little. Resin and fiberglass is done. Now the body work and sanding comes in.

Got the short strand bondo hair out and did some of the major work with that. On both a-pillars, there were spots where the material stuck to the panel where I didnt want it to so everything wasnt as smooth as I wanted it to be. Thats where the bondo hair comes in. I might have a little more work to do on one of them to build up between the mid and the tweeter.

I was hoping to get the regular bondo work started today. I had some at the house...but evidently, it was bad...lol. I opened up the can and it wasnt hard, but it certainly wasnt something i could spread like it needs to...so that didnt happen. Something else I'll have to buy :(

Heres the current state of them, test fitted in the truck.
    d643ca0f.jpg

-Cody
  • arun1963
    arun1963 Posts: 1,797
    edited April 2010
    Options
    How does it sound? Which DLS 3 ways are you running?
  • exalted512
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Its not hooked up yet. Probably be next weekend or so. Its the iridium series but with a peerless xls 8 for midbass duty.
    -Cody
  • exalted512
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Heres what they look like as of right now:
    1d64dd03.jpg

One needs a bit more bondo work to smooth out the bottom. The other is pretty close to being ready to be wrapped.
    -Cody
  • exalted512
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Well, I got them wrapped in vinyl, but I'm not terribly happy how they came out. They didnt come out bad, but to be honest, Id never wrapped something with such different directions (tweeter and mid). The only ones I've ever done were just simple tweeters, or tweeters and midranges facing the same direction.

I also was doing this in my free time and ended up having to do it in stages instead of all at once, so I have lines where i had to stop, work on a car, then come back to it.

I also had to peel back one edge twice, each time it left glue residue which shows through the vinyl as little bumps and such. So I will probably end up wrapping them again, just not now...I want to make sure I have enough vinyl for everything else first. Stuff is too expensive to just order some for the a-pillars...shipping costs around $20 in itself.

I had to leave them at the shop as I was on my motorcycle today, but I'll have pictures of them tomorrow.
    -Cody
  • audiobliss
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Wow, I'm glad to see you're still working on your never-ending install, instead of just totally giving up on it! :p

I'm excited to see how the a-pillars look, all wrapped and in place. I am very envious of your skillz.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]