OFFICIAL install update thread!!!!

Options

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited August 2007
    Options
    Thats what I was afraid of.

I just checked my order status and it hasnt shipped yet. Ill try to call customer service first thing tomorrow morning and have them cancel that order and get the Dynamat Extreme.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited August 2007
    Options
    Good move, far better to pay a little more to get the good stuff.
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • MacLeod
    edited August 2007
    Options
    Ive already got a Dynamat Xtreme door kit on each door but this new batch was just going to re-enforce the old one. Plus I was going to slap a layer on the rear door panels and the B pillar panels.

But if this crap is going to be falling off after the first hot summer day and stink on top of that, no thanks no matter what the price.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited August 2007
    Options
    If youre going to order, why not get secondskin??? And yes, the original is asphalt based and not very good, itll harden in the cold and lose it elasticity, which are both very bad for dampening. In the heat, itll start to smell and can fall off after time.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • MacLeod
    edited August 2007
    Options
    Actually Im thinking I might just cancel everything and go with Raammat. $140 shipped for 62 ft2!

• exalted512
    edited August 2007
    Options
    Raamat is a fine choice. Rick is a great guy.
    -Cody
  • exalted512
    edited August 2007
    Options
    Getting everything figured out, finally. Most of it my was my own idiotic mistake of not marking the RCAs prior to installation. I thought I kept them all straight when I was mounting them down, but I had two clamps holding 5 rcas, so there was still a possibility of them getting switched, which they did. 2 of the RCAs I thought were bad were actually just switched, one actually was bad. The left channel would cut in and out as I moved the connector. Figures, 1 day before school starts and I figure it out...
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    edited August 2007
    Options
    I tell ya, seeing this come together is getting me fired up about my rebuild for next season. Gotta few plans I cant wait to put together.

• exalted512
    edited August 2007
    Options
    I cant wait until I get a full front stage again...lol...
    -Cody
  • black magic
    black magic Posts: 669
    edited August 2007
    Options
    If I didn't have other plans, I'd want to get the SR components and another amp. :)

...unfortunately thats just going to have to wait for a long time. I think I've spent enough this summer. :(
  • exalted512
    edited June 2008
    Options
    First update of the new summer...

Haven't got too much done, I was hoping to have more done as of now, but its just hard to do car audio 60 hours/week at work, then come home and do it some more.

Anyway, the actuators are working, new RCAs are ready to go in (I finally gave up on the RF ones...kept having them break inside the wire). The new ones are knukonceptz. I also have mounted MDF to the roof to prevent flexing. Hopefully this weekend I will have all the new RCAs in and the head liner back up.

Today's project was foam in the crossmembers of the roof. Since this stuff expands like a ****, I just did a little bit today, and will finish the rest tomorrow. The inside of my truck is currently covered with a giant tarp.

Progress has also been hampered in the search of a house. Probably the weekend after next, I'm going to take a Monday off to get some progress done. It helps having a motorcycle to take to work so I dont have to worry about the truck being drivable every day.
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    edited June 2008
    Options
    You know I just realized something.

I did a complete new install on my Dodge Ram - took it out and did a completely new one on my Accord when I first got it, competed for a whole season and have now stuck a completely new system back in and am hitting shows......all in less time than its taken you to finish this ONE install! No wonder you work 60 hours a week. I bet you keep a car all week just to install a head unit.

:D

• exalted512
    edited June 2008
    Options
    MacLeod wrote: »
    You know I just realized something.

I did a complete new install on my Dodge Ram - took it out and did a completely new one on my Accord when I first got it, competed for a whole season and have now stuck a completely new system back in and am hitting shows......all in less time than its taken you to finish this ONE install! No wonder you work 60 hours a week. I bet you keep a car all week just to install a head unit.

:D

You call what you had in your dodge an install?:p
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    edited June 2008
    Options
    exalted512 wrote: »
    You call what you had in your dodge an install?:p
    -Cody

LMFAO!! :D

Ive got a 5 foot trophy proving that it was something. Beeyotch!

• eloplayspolo
    eloplayspolo Posts: 1,117
    edited June 2008
    Options
    Hahaha
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Audible Physics 3 Way: H6MB, AR3-A, AR2.0
    Image Dynamics iDMax 12" D2v4
    (2) Alpine PDX-V9 Bridged, Alpine PDX-M12 (500w Mid-Bass, 200w Mid, 200w Tweet, 1200w Sub)
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • exalted512
    edited June 2008
    Options
    Well, the old RCAs are out and the new ones are starting to go in. Done with the roof project, head liner is back in, and my leaky passenger side window is leaking less now.

Now I have the long, tedious job of reinstalling the RCAs as i had them before...heres some pics of how I had it done...but those are out and now im going to have to redo it with my new ones.
    531337_412.jpg
    531337_453.jpg
    Just the blue in this picture:
    531337_413.jpg
    Hopefully I can get that done during the week...I'm taking off not this Monday, but next, so I can have a full 2 days of working on it...I'm also going to have some friends over to help me out...well see how it goes..I'll have pics of the progress after that.
    -Cody
  • eloplayspolo
    eloplayspolo Posts: 1,117
    edited June 2008
    Options
    i dont get how u can freaking take it....it drove me crazy having all my gear sitting around untill i had the time to install
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Audible Physics 3 Way: H6MB, AR3-A, AR2.0
    Image Dynamics iDMax 12" D2v4
    (2) Alpine PDX-V9 Bridged, Alpine PDX-M12 (500w Mid-Bass, 200w Mid, 200w Tweet, 1200w Sub)
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • exalted512
    edited June 2008
    Options
    When you do it everyday for a living...its harder to get myself to work on it...lol
    -Cody
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited June 2008
    Options
    I wish my car wasn't such a piece of crap I would like to have some real nice tunes. Not ear splitting levels, but SQ, and a nice clean install would be nice. Some day.
    I look forward to watching your progress.
    Ben
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • black magic
    black magic Posts: 669
    edited June 2008
    Options
    I really like the way you do your install, you really take your time and the quality looks excellent.
  • exalted512
    edited June 2008
    Options
    If all goes well the doors will be completely finished by the end of the day and the 8s will be ready to install after all the liquid cures
    -Cody
  • exalted512
    edited June 2008
    Options
    So maybe sludging the inside of the door (where the speaker mounts) wasnt one of my greatest ideas yet.
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    edited June 2008
    Options
    Not sure I like the liquid deadener much myself.

Dynamat Extreme is awful easy to work with and put on. But the liquid stuff can get down in to every nook and cranny.

• exalted512
    edited June 2008
    Options
    Well, its great for things easily accessed. The fronts of doors, floors, stuff like that. But reaching inside an enclosed place with stuff like power windows and stuff kind of sucks.

Well, I didn't get as much done as I hoped this weekend. (well, sunday and monday)

I didnt get started until about 4 yesterday because we went and looked at a house, then ate, then went and placed an offer on it. I had a friend of mine doing some deadening on the driver door. I dont have the mounting ring in the passenger side anymore. I had it in, then forgot to i needed to drill out the metal on the door where the bolts are going in for my speakers. So I had to take that out, broke in half on the way out. I still haven't made a new ring yet.

But the driver's door is 92% done. The huge, oddly shaped access hole is covered, the only other one is a much smaller, square hole above the speaker. That should take about a third of the time (or less) than the big one did.

Also, the next door will hopefully go faster as I traced out the existing cover piece, so thats already done (and that took a long **** time).

Now all thats left on the driver door is the one access hole and putting second skins firewall on top of everything. But that'll be a project for my friend next weekend because its pretty easy. I still have a couple hours of day light but I doubt I'll get much done, pretty burnt out now...lol.
    -Cody
  • exalted512
    edited June 2008
    Options
    and ill have pictures up later this week and about mid week next week.
    -Cody
  • exalted512
    edited June 2008
    Options
  • exalted512
    edited June 2008
    Options
    And so I'm sitting here in my truck...and my processor is not connecting with my computer. One thing after another.
    -Cody

Edit: Bullet dodged there! Got it up and running again. I've been without sound for a couple weeks now
  • exalted512
    edited June 2008
    Options
    Nothing special to report. Was able to finish sealing up the driver door. One coat of firewall on the driver door and it'll be done. I have to put a few layers of mat on the panel itself, but thats it.

Passenger door still needs a lot of work though to get ready for the 8s. I'm hoping between getting 4th of July off and the following weekend, I'll have my doors finished...maybe just have to deaden the panels themselves. Realistically, I think I'll have the driver's side door done, but it'll be the weekend after for the passenger side to be done. I do start school again July 8th for summer II. Only taking one class. Before the fall semester starts, I would love for everything to be done and all the interior back in. Then only the sub box and amp rack for the sub amp will be left. Something like that can be finished during the school year though.

Light at the end of the tunnel is gettin a little brighter.
    -Cody
  • exalted512
    edited July 2008
    Options
    Well, the passenger door is fully deadened, I just need to seal off the access holes now. Now I'm working on getting the baffle mounted. Normally, it wouldn't be that hard...but I'm using bolts and t-nuts on the baffle, so I have to make sure the metal on the door is drilled out on the opposite side, as well as I have to get the baffle fitting perfectly so that it'll fit under the door panel and clear the window track as well. Thought I had it done, but it doesnt quite clear the window on its way down...and I like my windows :)
    Quick snack break, now its time to go back in the 100 degree heat, w00t.
    -Cody