Almost burglerized!

124»

Comments

• petrym
    petrym Posts: 1,912
    edited June 2007
    Lasareath wrote: »
    Also, call 911 afterwards, because you may have gotten away with it ;)
    Wait four minutes, then call 911. Capped bad guys bleeding out is a good thing.
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited June 2007
    Jstas wrote: »
    that's a big gun to point at some and there are alot of consequences that can follow once that trigger is pulled. Cooler heads usually prevail and your TV is not worth your kids losing thier daddy for one reason or another. That's all I'm saying.

If an intruder is in your house while your home, you have to assume he is there to hurt you. it takes a huge set of shells to break into a house with people home.

fact is, if you genuinly feel your life is threatened, and a break in with you home counts, if that shotgun is the only weapon you got, you use it. I've never seen a legal precedent where the size of the gun used in defense (especially of a home) was a key issue.

maybe number of shots, or where you shoot him (like in the back as he is running out your front door screaming like a ****) could definitly be issues, but not the size of a gun. pretty much the use of any firearm will be considerred use of deadly force, and laws of said use will apply given the situation
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • Mike682
    Mike682 Posts: 2,074
    edited June 2007
    ohskigod wrote: »
    If an intruder is in your house while your home, you have to assume he is there to hurt you. it takes a huge set of shells to break into a house with people home.

fact is, if you genuinly feel your life is threatened, and a break in with you home counts, if that shotgun is the only weapon you got, you use it. I've never seen a legal precedent where the size of the gun used in defense (especially of a home) was a key issue.

maybe number of shots, or where you shoot him (like in the back as he is running out your front door screaming like a ****) could definitly be issues, but not the size of a gun. pretty much the use of any firearm will be considerred use of deadly force, and laws of said use will apply given the situation

I agree.

If you live in NY state and some **** breaks into your house when you are home, you have to try to "retreat" before engaging in deadly force. If the **** does not leave and If you truly feel you and your family's lives are in danger, then deadly force is a last and justifiable option. If you choose to any legal weapon whether it be a knife, small caliber rifle, or .50 cal (exaggerating here), that's your choice..I guarantee nobody will eff with your house after that;).

I know you can't use deadly force if you catch someone breaking into your home because its only considered property damage and there could be many reasons why the person is breaking in
    Receiver: harmankardon AVR235
    Mains: polk R30
    Center: polk CSi3
    Rear Surrounds: polk R20
    Subwoofer: polk PSW404
    DVD: Panasonic DVD-S29
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited June 2007
    Mike682 wrote: »
    I know you can't use deadly force if you catch someone breaking into your home because its only considered property damage and there could be many reasons why the person is breaking in

if he's dead, you can make up any old reason you want...
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited June 2007
    That's why I aim for the head and not a leg. ;)

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• Mike682
    Mike682 Posts: 2,074
    edited June 2007
    neomagus00 wrote: »
    if he's dead, you can make up any old reason you want...

most of the time....

When I was volunteering in the police department, I asked one of the cops why you can't take someone out when you catch then breaking in. He told me about an incident when some guy driving with his family slid on black ice and slammed into a tree in one of our rural sections. The guy's wife was hurt and he ran to a house nearby to call police. In a panic, he started pounding on the door. When nobody answered, he kicked in the door and was immediately shot dead by the person inside.
    Receiver: harmankardon AVR235
    Mains: polk R30
    Center: polk CSi3
    Rear Surrounds: polk R20
    Subwoofer: polk PSW404
    DVD: Panasonic DVD-S29
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited June 2007
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    Florida is awesome.

In Massachusetts, you have to have ... I forget the phrase they use... reasonable threat... something or other. Someone could break into your house, let's say unarmed, punch you in the face and knock you out, then burgle you. If you woke up while they were rummaging your house, got a firearm, and they again came at you, I still don't think you're allowed to use it, since they did not use that level of force on you.

The sad thing is, the majority of people in this pinko state agree with that. Protect the criminals :rolleyes:

I just took the class in January bobman. In order to shoot them for "self-defense" they have to be within 6 feet, facing you, armed and coming at you. Also, you need to be completely blocked into a corner with no where to run. This state views a 1st or 2nd floor window as a opportunity to escape rather than shoot so if you plan on shooting you better be in a room with no windows. Also, it is illegal in Massachusetts if all the above circumstances are met for you to discharge your firearm you cannot shoot to wound. They claim if the situation is bad enough for you to discharge your firearm it better be to put that person down forever. If even one thing I mentioned above is out of line you go to jail for murder, attempted murder, or whatever else they can charge you with EVEN THOUGH IT IS IN YOUR OWN HOME. Also, in this state, if you have grounds to shoot your firearm(all circumstances above are fulfilled), you automatically are arrested and booked at the police station. Of course you will be released later.

Now of course the instructor of the class said if it gets to the point you need to shoot you absolutely unload every single bullet in your firearm into the person as fast as you possibly can and make sure they aren't moving by the time the police get there.

Bobman, if you want to read the books I have above firearm use in this state let me know, I'm always around the Everett area.
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,670
    edited June 2007
    "I'm going to KILL you and your family. Aaaaarrrrrrggggghhhhh !"

Uhm....could you scoot a little closer.....I know that's a 9mm in your upraised right hand, but it looks to me like you're at least 8 feet away
    Sal Palooza
  • Holydoc
    Holydoc Posts: 1,048
    edited June 2007
    I am really glad that you and your family are ok. I can only imagine how terrifying it must be to be waiting for someone to break down the door and come into your home.

I love Florida's gun laws. The Castle Doctrine law mentions that "any person lawfully residing in a dwelling have no duty to retreat before resorting to deadly force for self defense". On top of that it also states, "any person who acts in self-defense in accordance with the provisions of the [Castle Doctrine] is immune from criminal prosecution and civil actions." The term "castle" was expanded to mean house, covered porch, vehicle, and place of temporary lodging which includes tents.

Basically bad guys do NOT attempt focible entry in Florida unless they have already picked out their plots.
    Holydoc (Home Theatre Lover)
    Outlaw -770 (7x200watt) Amplifier
    PolkAudio - RTi12 (Left and Right)
    PolkAudio - CSi5 (Center)
    PolkAudio - FXi3 (Back and Surround)
    SVS - PB-12/Plus (Subwoofer)
    Bluejean Cables - Interconnects
    Logitech Harmony 880 - Remote