Almost burglerized!

Comments

• SLOCOOKN
    SLOCOOKN Posts: 704
    edited June 2007
    steveinaz wrote: »
    Glad you and the family are ok. Sounds like you did the right things. Grab the gun and call 911 and keep the line open until police arrive. This way everything that happens is recorded with the 911 operator. I have my Glock 17 in my nightstand and an AR-15 at the ready, and my wife knows the drill and has fired both extensively. I would recommend that you keep a magazine loaded in the future. It's pretty difficult to load a magazine under stress; especially if something like this happens and you're asleep.

Steve,

The mag was loaded. I was referring to inserting the clip. It was loaded!
    :eek: From the bottom it looks like a steep incline, From the top another down hill slope of mine.:mad: But I know the equilibrium's there!:cool: .."Faith No More" :D
    Sony cx985v (for now)
    BBE 482i
    B&K AVP 1030
    Adcom GFA 555 mk 2
    AudioQuest Crystal 2 spk wire
    Nordost RCA
    SDA 3.1 tl RD0 tweets
    Belkin pf60
    Carver TFM 55x
    Signal Analog 2 RCA
    AudioQuestType 4
    VMPS Original Tall Boy (Mega Woofers soon)
  • SLOCOOKN
    edited June 2007
    Get a big Labradoodle. They don't shed and make good watchdogs.

LabraWHAT....Is this possible:confused: ...(LOL)
    :eek: From the bottom it looks like a steep incline, From the top another down hill slope of mine.:mad: But I know the equilibrium's there!:cool: .."Faith No More" :D
    Sony cx985v (for now)
    BBE 482i
    B&K AVP 1030
    Adcom GFA 555 mk 2
    Nordost RCA
    SDA 3.1 tl RD0 tweets
    Belkin pf60
    Carver TFM 55x
    Signal Analog 2 RCA
    AudioQuestType 4
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited June 2007
    wingnut's right, very rare is the home invasion when they know you are home. usually its for robbery, but thats not to say it is impossible.

therewas a small rash of break ins by me, but the people were not home, houses got robbed. luckily the police found them. they wee parking on the highway, which is easily reached by foot, then making a quick getaway
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited June 2007
    I told you I knew where you lived. and that I wanted to get my hands on that fine gear of yours. ;)

In all seriousness... I'm so glad the intruder didn't get in. and you and your wife are fine. that's one scary incident... to think someone is trying to break into your house while you and the family are home.

I wouldn't be so freaked out if someone tried to break into my place when I wasn't home.. but damn. i'd be freaked out for days knowing someone tried to come in while I was home.

glad you are safe. :)
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited June 2007
    SLOCOOKN wrote: »
    Steve,

The mag was loaded. I was referring to inserting the clip. It was loaded!

Good. Glad your safe brotha.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • Serendipity
    Serendipity Posts: 6,975
    edited June 2007
    I'm not sure if this would help, but I'd recommend getting a DVR and outdoor security cameras. With today's DVRs 600gb of storage is enough to record 24/7 for weeks, which can help the police identify the burglars. Also consider covert infared cameras that are hidden from plain view but can record in total darkness.
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!
  • SLOCOOKN
    edited June 2007
    Good. Glad your safe brotha.

THANKS!
    Sony cx985v (for now)
    BBE 482i
    B&K AVP 1030
    Adcom GFA 555 mk 2
    Nordost RCA
    SDA 3.1 tl RD0 tweets
    Belkin pf60
    Carver TFM 55x
    Signal Analog 2 RCA
    AudioQuestType 4
  • strider
    strider Posts: 2,568
    edited June 2007
    LabraWHAT....Is this possible:confused: ...(LOL)

Yep. Possible, and pretty goofy looking. Smart dogs, don't shed, not my cup 'o tea though.
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • SLOCOOKN
    edited June 2007
    ohskigod wrote: »
    wingnut's right, very rare is the home invasion when they know you are home. usually its for robbery, but thats not to say it is impossible.

therewas a small rash of break ins by me, but the people were not home, houses got robbed. luckily the police found them. they wee parking on the highway, which is easily reached by foot, then making a quick getaway

I agree that it is rare. And its the worst possible situation. I have a 2 year old daughter as well. I have a bad feeling that this will get worse. As people become more desperate for money, the more of a chances they will take!

I am not sure of any motive that would cause this kind of action on our behalf.
    Sony cx985v (for now)
    BBE 482i
    B&K AVP 1030
    Adcom GFA 555 mk 2
    Nordost RCA
    SDA 3.1 tl RD0 tweets
    Belkin pf60
    Carver TFM 55x
    Signal Analog 2 RCA
    AudioQuestType 4
  • SLOCOOKN
    edited June 2007
    appadv wrote: »
    I'm not sure if this would help, but I'd recommend getting a DVR and outdoor security cameras. With today's DVRs 600gb of storage is enough to record 24/7 for weeks, which can help the police identify the burglars. Also consider covert infared cameras that are hidden from plain view but can record in total darkness.

Good idea. This did bring out one weakness we had. No motion sensor lights. They will be installed this weekend!
    Sony cx985v (for now)
    BBE 482i
    B&K AVP 1030
    Adcom GFA 555 mk 2
    Nordost RCA
    SDA 3.1 tl RD0 tweets
    Belkin pf60
    Carver TFM 55x
    Signal Analog 2 RCA
    AudioQuestType 4
  • SLOCOOKN
    edited June 2007
    danger boy wrote: »
    I told you I knew where you lived. and that I wanted to get my hands on that fine gear of yours. ;)

In all seriousness... I'm so glad the intruder didn't get in. and you and your wife are fine. that's one scary incident... to think someone is trying to break into your house while you and the family are home.

I wouldn't be so freaked out if someone tried to break into my place when I wasn't home.. but damn. i'd be freaked out for days knowing someone tried to come in while I was home.

glad you are safe. :)

I believe if YOU were after MY stuff you would only be selling it for upgrades for you! :p
    Sony cx985v (for now)
    BBE 482i
    B&K AVP 1030
    Adcom GFA 555 mk 2
    Nordost RCA
    SDA 3.1 tl RD0 tweets
    Belkin pf60
    Carver TFM 55x
    Signal Analog 2 RCA
    AudioQuestType 4
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited June 2007
    strider wrote: »
    Yep. Possible, and pretty goofy looking. Smart dogs, don't shed, not my cup 'o tea though.

Awww.. how can you resist?
    Seriously. They are great dogs.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • Serendipity
    edited June 2007
    Good idea. This did bring out one weakness we had. No motion sensor lights. They will be installed this weekend!

Motion sensor lights are a must! I'd recommend against the low-priced units because the relays are poorly made and cannot support floodlights over ~60 watts. Those floodlights are not bright enough for a typical yard.

Instead I'd go for one of the better units with at least a 150W rating so the lights are more effective.
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited June 2007
    Most likely random. The key is to make it so they have to make alot of noise to get in. Of course a security system is best--but not always financially feasable. Put 1" throw dead bolts on all your doors, find a way to secure windows, and make sure you setup a scenario where you can safely retrieve your 2yr old in the event something happens.

NEVER pursue someone in your house. Be defensive and let them come to you, with your weapon trained on the entrance of the room you're in. Of course you can let them know that you are armed and police have been called. Once police arrive and have contained the sitaution, clear and put your weapon DOWN.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • wingnut4772
    edited June 2007
    Of course a security system is best--but not always financially feasable.

In 90% percent of the burglaries (easily) I handle, the homeowners either do not have an alarm or have not set it. It's probably closer to 95%.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

• Serendipity
    edited June 2007
    In 90% percent of the burglaries (easily) I handle, the homeowners either do not have an alarm or have not set it. It's probably closer to 95%.

Good point. A alarm is only as useful if the owner sets it. Also PIR motion detectors are not 100% reliable, so good perimeter protection such as glass breakage sensors combined with motion detectors are more effective. Most security companies such as ADT will only install the bare minimum for their "free security system" offers, so it's important to add additional sensors/window and door contacts/glass break detection/etc.
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• Bamadude
    Bamadude Posts: 245
    edited June 2007
    Here are are my two Great Pyrenees on the prowl. You'd have want my stuff pretty bad to come in. They're great family dogs, but have a keen eye for trouble. I need a gun in addition to them and this post only makes me more aware of that. The steel frame door is also a great investment.
    Get a big Labradoodle. They don't shed and make good watchdogs.
    AVR: Pioneer VSX-84TXSi (RIP - lightening) / Amp: Sunfire Cinema Grand / Klipsh R-10B Sounbar, LC65fx / Sub: Elemental Designs LT/1300 / TV: Panasonic TH-50PH9UK /SIZE]
  • Bill Ayotte
    Bill Ayotte Posts: 1,860
    edited June 2007
    True occupied burglaries don't occur too often...unless they thought nobody was home. Do you know anyone or any reason why they might have had that idea? Even scarier...you almost had a home invasion perhaps.

This is very true.....
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,806
    edited June 2007
    I'm probably going to get called a "know-it-all" again but I have to say something.

An SKS is a powerful weapon (my father owns 3) and is capable of causing harm to the shooter as well as the target in such close quarters as a house. It is also very capable of causing collateral damage. It is a lethal weapon, capable of killing a target with one round. That does present a problem for an owner who uses it as a defensive weapon. If you end up having to use it, it will come back on you as use of excessive or deadly force, especially if the intruder does not have a firearm themselves. I realize this sucks but it is a reality.

A shotgun (my father owns 9) is even more destructive and any loaded shot type can be lethal in one round. A slug will make a gigantic mess and certainly kill if not severely maim an intruder. It will also maul whatever is behind your intruder if fired at point blank range. Bird-shot (typical shot gun round) is capable of severing extremeties in one shot and even taking a head clean off it's shoulders. Buck-shot is probably the most deadly because the rounds are large, have a wide spread at a short distance from the muzzle and can have a high muzzle velocity. If a target is hit in the chest or abdomen, the spread is wide enough that it can take out multiple vital organs at one time. Your target might live (and that's a big might) but they will likely die from thier injuries. If they don't die, they will certainly wish they were dead.

Those are powerful weapons for home defense. I'm not an anti-gun nut and I believe in ownership rights. I also believe in education and safety. A large gun is a good deterrent but if you have to use it, it can cause all kinds of problems for you legally. Please use your brain as best as possible when confronted with such a situation. I'm glad to see that SLOCOOKN's brain is in good working order!
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • wingnut4772
    edited June 2007
    If they are in your house, they are fair game. Castle Doctrine - at least in Florida.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

• Skynut
    Skynut Posts: 2,967
    edited June 2007
    Most likely random. The key is to make it so they have to make alot of noise to get in. Of course a security system is best--but not always financially feasable. Put 1" throw dead bolts on all your doors, find a way to secure windows, and make sure you setup a scenario where you can safely retrieve your 2yr old in the event something happens.

NEVER pursue someone in your house. Be defensive and let them come to you, with your weapon trained on the entrance of the room you're in. Of course you can let them know that you are armed and police have been called. Once police arrive and have contained the sitaution, clear and put your weapon DOWN.

^^^Good advice here.^^^

Also remember that it is harder for you to get into trouble for defending yourself if the police only get to hear one side of the story.....

Yours.
    Skynut
    SOPA® Founder
    The system Almost there
    DVD Onkyo DV-SP802
    Sunfire Theater Grand II
    Sherbourn 7/2100
    Panamax 5510 power conditioner (for electronics)
    2 PSAudio UPC-200 power conditioners (for amps)
    Front L/R RT3000p (Bi-Wired)
    Center CS1000p (Bi-Wired) (under the television)
    Center RT2000p's (Bi-Wired) (on each side of the television)
    Sur FX1000
    SVS ultra plus 2

www.ShadetreesMachineShop.com
    Thanks for looking
  • Skynut
    edited June 2007
    My .357 is loaded with .38 wad cutters.
    Low power target rounds, if I can't stop an intruder with 6 of those I keep the .357 jacked hollow points in a speed loader.

i doubt that any home defence will get past the first 6 shots.
    Skynut
    SOPA® Founder
    The system Almost there
    DVD Onkyo DV-SP802
    Sunfire Theater Grand II
    Sherbourn 7/2100
    Sur FX1000
    SVS ultra plus 2

Thanks for looking
  • wingnut4772
    edited June 2007
    Skynut wrote: »
    My .357 is loaded with .38 wad cutters.
    Low power target rounds, if I can't stop an intruder with 6 of those I keep the .357 jacked hollow points in a speed loader.

i doubt that any home defence will get past the first 6 shots.

I would use the .357 first. I guarantee you the bad guy does not have wad cutters if he is armed.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

• strider
    strider Posts: 2,568
    edited June 2007
    Awww.. how can you resist?
    Seriously. They are great dogs.

Alright, ya got me! :)

They are darn smart, seems like the better qualities of a lab and a poodle. The one I'm used to is hyper and clumsy, most of which lies in his situation (owners), IMO.
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • SLOCOOKN
    edited June 2007
    Jstas wrote: »
    I'm probably going to get called a "know-it-all" again but I have to say something.

An SKS is a powerful weapon (my father owns 3) and is capable of causing harm to the shooter as well as the target in such close quarters as a house. It is also very capable of causing collateral damage. It is a lethal weapon, capable of killing a target with one round. That does present a problem for an owner who uses it as a defensive weapon. If you end up having to use it, it will come back on you as use of excessive or deadly force, especially if the intruder does not have a firearm themselves. I realize this sucks but it is a reality.

A shotgun (my father owns 9) is even more destructive and any loaded shot type can be lethal in one round. A slug will make a gigantic mess and certainly kill if not severely maim an intruder. It will also maul whatever is behind your intruder if fired at point blank range. Bird-shot (typical shot gun round) is capable of severing extremeties in one shot and even taking a head clean off it's shoulders. Buck-shot is probably the most deadly because the rounds are large, have a wide spread at a short distance from the muzzle and can have a high muzzle velocity. If a target is hit in the chest or abdomen, the spread is wide enough that it can take out multiple vital organs at one time. Your target might live (and that's a big might) but they will likely die from thier injuries. If they don't die, they will certainly wish they were dead.

Those are powerful weapons for home defense. I'm not an anti-gun nut and I believe in ownership rights. I also believe in education and safety. A large gun is a good deterrent but if you have to use it, it can cause all kinds of problems for you legally. Please use your brain as best as possible when confronted with such a situation. I'm glad to see that SLOCOOKN's brain is in good working order!

You certainly have some valid points! I would take issue with the statement that bird shot would take someone's head clean off! I am an avid bird hunter and can attest to the lethality of #4 heavishot at 20 yards to a turkey. I don't believe that it would blow a persons head clean off....There was a show on mythbuster's recently about shooting a hat off someones head. The results with a shot gun were bad but no where even close to decapitation.

In Missouri if they are in the house ....FREE GAME!
    Sony cx985v (for now)
    BBE 482i
    B&K AVP 1030
    Adcom GFA 555 mk 2
    Nordost RCA
    SDA 3.1 tl RD0 tweets
    Belkin pf60
    Carver TFM 55x
    Signal Analog 2 RCA
    AudioQuestType 4
  • SLOCOOKN
    edited June 2007
    I guess a good point to remember as I get close to the time I head for home is .......Tell your loved ones you love them. You never know when some **** is going to try and take them from you!
    Sony cx985v (for now)
    BBE 482i
    B&K AVP 1030
    Adcom GFA 555 mk 2
    Nordost RCA
    SDA 3.1 tl RD0 tweets
    Belkin pf60
    Carver TFM 55x
    Signal Analog 2 RCA
    AudioQuestType 4
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,663
    edited June 2007
    Glad to hear you all are OK.
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • MillerLiteScott
    MillerLiteScott Posts: 2,561
    edited June 2007
    My wife left her keys in the door last night.
    I like speakers that are bigger than a small refrigerator but smaller than a big refrigerator:D
  • wingnut4772
    edited June 2007
    My wife left her keys in the door last night.

I am embarassed to say been there done that. It's a real crappy feeling when you realize it the next day.:eek:
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

• Skynut
    edited June 2007
    How about when you go to leave for work in the morning and realize the garage door has been open all night.

My garage is worth more than my HT.
    Skynut
    SOPA® Founder
    The system Almost there
    DVD Onkyo DV-SP802
    Sunfire Theater Grand II
    Sherbourn 7/2100
    Sur FX1000
    SVS ultra plus 2

Thanks for looking