Almost burglerized!

SLOCOOKN
SLOCOOKN Posts: 704
edited June 2007 in The Clubhouse
Early this morning around 1:30am Central Standard time. I was watching The First 48 on A&E. I heard some strange noises that I assumed was some wind noise. We were expecting storms to be moving in so I did not give it much thought. A few moments later I heard some more "strange noises" and turned to check the weather......

Nothing moving in yet. I then turned down the TV and listened and just then.......BOOOM....BOOM...someone is trying to kick in the down stairs door!

I wake my wife and tell her to call 911...She did not get it until she saw me loading my SKS 7.62x39 with a 25 round clip.... We waited for the cops and listened for movement...thankfully none...one cop reported a white car speeding from the seen....no tags...

The down stairs is a steel door with a steel frame...Saved our **** and theirs!
Everyone is ok!

No idea who or why though!
:eek: From the bottom it looks like a steep incline, From the top another down hill slope of mine.:mad: But I know the equilibrium's there!:cool: .."Faith No More" :D
Sony cx985v (for now)
BBE 482i
B&K AVP 1030
Adcom GFA 555 mk 2
AudioQuest Crystal 2 spk wire
Nordost RCA
SDA 3.1 tl RD0 tweets
Belkin pf60
Carver TFM 55x
Signal Analog 2 RCA
AudioQuestType 4
VMPS Original Tall Boy (Mega Woofers soon)
Post edited by SLOCOOKN on

Comments

• audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited June 2007
    Dang. Sounds like y'all'd have to be replacing blood-red carpet downstairs had they gotten in!
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited June 2007
    That is a frightening feeling. I'm glad you didn't have to take action and you and the wifey are safe.

I've had a similar experience in Baltimore. While visiting my cousin we were down the basement shooting darts. We keep hearing the floor boards creek irregularly but don't think anything of it. After a little while the sounds were coming from a different part of ceiling. We both started up the steps and heard stomping. When we got upstairs, in the dining room and the stereo system was unwired and stack up in a fashion that would allow easy removal from the house. We thought maybe someone was on the second floor where the bedrooms were. We both charged up the steps like two idiots brandishing baseball bats and swinging wildly in the dark.

They/he/she had left.

My condo was burgularized in 1997. . . that is a very harsh feeling of being violated.
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited June 2007
    Always a good idea to have sturdy entry and secondary protection. Good job!
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • Skynut
    Skynut Posts: 2,967
    edited June 2007
    Glad you are ok and even more glad you have the means to defend yourself and family.
    Skynut
    SOPA® Founder
    The system Almost there
    DVD Onkyo DV-SP802
    Sunfire Theater Grand II
    Sherbourn 7/2100
    Panamax 5510 power conditioner (for electronics)
    2 PSAudio UPC-200 power conditioners (for amps)
    Front L/R RT3000p (Bi-Wired)
    Center CS1000p (Bi-Wired) (under the television)
    Center RT2000p's (Bi-Wired) (on each side of the television)
    Sur FX1000
    SVS ultra plus 2

www.ShadetreesMachineShop.com
    Thanks for looking
  • MSALLA
    MSALLA Posts: 1,602
    edited June 2007
    SLOCOOKN wrote: »

She did not get it until she saw me loading my SKS 3.62x39 with a 25 round clip....

That would be 7.62x39...same as a AK 47. Great gun and would have cut joe robber in half. Just make sure he is in the houe when you pull the trigger.
    Michael

Samsung 50" HD DLP
    Yamaha RX-V2500
    (2) Outlaw 200
    Adcom GFA 555
    Sony BDP300
    Denon 2900 DVD
    Lsi9's mains
    Lsi7's rear
    Lsic center
    12.1 SVS driver in 4.53 cuft. tube
    Harmony 880
  • SLOCOOKN
    edited June 2007
    MSALLA wrote: »
    That would be 7.62x39...same as a AK 47. Great gun and would have cut joe robber in half. Just make sure he is in the houe when you pull the trigger.

Yep.....My bad, I only had about 30 minutes of "slppe"...(lol)
    :eek: From the bottom it looks like a steep incline, From the top another down hill slope of mine.:mad: But I know the equilibrium's there!:cool: .."Faith No More" :D
    Sony cx985v (for now)
    BBE 482i
    B&K AVP 1030
    Adcom GFA 555 mk 2
    Nordost RCA
    SDA 3.1 tl RD0 tweets
    Belkin pf60
    Carver TFM 55x
    Signal Analog 2 RCA
    AudioQuestType 4
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited June 2007
    12 guage pump shotgun!!! Point in direction of bad guy,. squeeze. . .bad guy down!
  • SLOCOOKN
    edited June 2007
    Skynut wrote: »
    Glad you are ok and even more glad you have the means to defend yourself and family.

That is why I am displeased with people who try and take away our right to have arms!

i am aware that an SKS is not the best choice for every one to defend
    them selves . I felt a hell of a lot better knowing I could defend my family no matter how many of them there were. I live in a secluded neighborhood so stray bullets would have not been a concern.
    Sony cx985v (for now)
    BBE 482i
    B&K AVP 1030
    Adcom GFA 555 mk 2
    Nordost RCA
    SDA 3.1 tl RD0 tweets
    Belkin pf60
    Carver TFM 55x
    Signal Analog 2 RCA
    AudioQuestType 4
  • MSALLA
    edited June 2007
    Yep.....My bad, I only had about 30 minutes of "slppe"...(lol)

Ya, that's a strange feeling you get when someone tries to get in your home. Very uneasy.
    Michael

Samsung 50" HD DLP
    Yamaha RX-V2500
    (2) Outlaw 200
    Adcom GFA 555
    Sony BDP300
    Denon 2900 DVD
    Lsi9's mains
    Lsi7's rear
    Lsic center
    Harmony 880
  • MikeC78
    MikeC78 Posts: 2,315
    edited June 2007
    12 guage pump shotgun!!! Point in direction of bad guy,. squeeze. . .bad guy down!

:) Yep, and the "Ohhh ****" factor running through their head when they hear you chamber a round.
  • venomclan
    venomclan Posts: 2,467
    edited June 2007
    Scary stuff and glad you are ok. Glad you also had the backup just in case it was needed. I am sure that the amatuer trying to break in would have crapped a brick when he saw that thing pointed at him, especially if he only had a crowbar.:eek:
    V
  • MSALLA
    edited June 2007
    MikeC78 wrote: »
    :) Yep, and the "Ohhh ****" factor running through their head when they hear you chamber a round.

That has to be the scarriest sound in the world. Nothing sounds like the slide on a shot gun.
    Michael

Samsung 50" HD DLP
    Yamaha RX-V2500
    (2) Outlaw 200
    Adcom GFA 555
    Sony BDP300
    Denon 2900 DVD
    Lsi9's mains
    Lsi7's rear
    Lsic center
    Harmony 880
  • SLOCOOKN
    edited June 2007
    That has to be the scarriest sound in the world. Nothing sounds like the slide on a shot gun.

When you slam a magazine on a SKS and pull the bolt back and is slams forward, I can assure you that sound is also very menacing!
    Sony cx985v (for now)
    BBE 482i
    B&K AVP 1030
    Adcom GFA 555 mk 2
    Nordost RCA
    SDA 3.1 tl RD0 tweets
    Belkin pf60
    Carver TFM 55x
    Signal Analog 2 RCA
    AudioQuestType 4
  • strider
    strider Posts: 2,568
    edited June 2007

X2

Glad to hear everyone is ok.
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • Serendipity
    Serendipity Posts: 6,975
    edited June 2007
    Glad to hear you're okay.
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!
  • SLOCOOKN
    edited June 2007
    appadv wrote: »
    Glad to hear you're okay.

THANKS EVERYONE!!!

i must also say the cops did a superb job arriving quickly and did a good search of the area.

So my hats off to them!
    Sony cx985v (for now)
    BBE 482i
    B&K AVP 1030
    Adcom GFA 555 mk 2
    Nordost RCA
    SDA 3.1 tl RD0 tweets
    Belkin pf60
    Carver TFM 55x
    Signal Analog 2 RCA
    AudioQuestType 4
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited June 2007
    I'm glad you & your wife are ok.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Skynut
    Skynut Posts: 2,967
    edited June 2007
    My friends wife was home alone with her two kids when someone tried comming through the locked door.

When she realized what was happening she stood behind the door and chambered a round into their mossberg. She said the other side of the door went quiet until the police showed up several minuites later.
    Skynut
    SOPA® Founder
    The system Almost there
    DVD Onkyo DV-SP802
    Sunfire Theater Grand II
    Sherbourn 7/2100
    Panamax 5510 power conditioner (for electronics)
    2 PSAudio UPC-200 power conditioners (for amps)
    Front L/R RT3000p (Bi-Wired)
    Center CS1000p (Bi-Wired) (under the television)
    Center RT2000p's (Bi-Wired) (on each side of the television)
    Sur FX1000
    SVS ultra plus 2

www.ShadetreesMachineShop.com
    Thanks for looking
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited June 2007
    a gun thats the same as an ak47??? JESUS CHRIST, thank god that guy didnt get in. think of the collateral damage to the structure of your house after you riddled his dumb **** with bullets :D

"I heard a pounding at the door, at this point, I prepared my floor mounted 30 mm chaingun" :eek: :D :eek: :D

My weapon of choice for home invasion would be a lightsaber, but they dont exist yet. how cool would that be though, as the invader kicks the door in, looks down my hallway and hears bbbbsssssszzzhhhhhh.
    He'll be able to faintly make out my facial features by the steady purple glow from the lightsaber itself as I say "can I help you?". :p
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • MSALLA
    edited June 2007
    When you slam a magazine on a SKS and pull the bolt back and is slams forward, I can assure you that sound is also very menacing!

I had one, but it had the fixed mag that you loaded through the receiver. It dose sound pretty good though. My AK had the 30 rd. banana clip.
    I sold all my guns (11 of them) and kept only my colt deffender for times like you had.

Glad it was only a close call for you and your wife.
    Michael

Samsung 50" HD DLP
    Yamaha RX-V2500
    (2) Outlaw 200
    Adcom GFA 555
    Sony BDP300
    Denon 2900 DVD
    Lsi9's mains
    Lsi7's rear
    Lsic center
    Harmony 880
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited June 2007

Yep, one of my KC cop friends who deals with a lot of "thug element", says that a lot of times the thugs won't comply even when they pull their pistols on them, but when he chambers a round in the pump, he gets 100% compliance.

Got Moss?
  • SLOCOOKN
    edited June 2007
    ohskigod wrote: »
    a gun thats the same as an ak47??? JESUS CHRIST, thank god that guy didnt get in. think of the collateral damage to the structure of your house after you riddled his dumb **** with bullets :D

"I heard a pounding at the door, at this point, I prepared my floor mounted 30 mm chaingun" :eek: :D :eek: :D

My weapon of choice for home invasion would be a lightsaber, but they dont exist yet. how cool would that be though, as the invader kicks the door in, looks down my hallway and hears bbbbsssssszzzhhhhhh.
    He'll be able to faintly make out my facial features by the steady purple glow from the lightsaber itself as I say "can I help you?". :p

Indeed! I would have riddled "his, their" dumbass. My family is more important to me than ANYTHING ELSE. I also have a browning 12ga shotgun and a Ruger 270. I will always choose the SKS. This could have been life or death!

I would have the ability to shoot through walls if necessary! I would have done WHAT EVER IT TOOK....!!!!!!
    Sony cx985v (for now)
    BBE 482i
    B&K AVP 1030
    Adcom GFA 555 mk 2
    Nordost RCA
    SDA 3.1 tl RD0 tweets
    Belkin pf60
    Carver TFM 55x
    Signal Analog 2 RCA
    AudioQuestType 4
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited June 2007
    I dont have a gun in the house. luckily no break ins, for the moment, i would have to rely on stick/blade weapons and hand to hand. I dont have an aversion to people owning guns (I'm a firm believer in a persons right to prtect himself) but handguns always scared me.

I've fired handguns before, i always like to conquer a fear, or at least face it for the experience. I'm warming up to the idea of a shotgun, seems less likly prone to accidents. of course, far more damaging when it actually goes off.
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • Bill Ayotte
    Bill Ayotte Posts: 1,860
    edited June 2007
    This is why I keep a Glock 21 under the bed....Glad to hear you are safe...The "thug" factor rises ten fold here every time there is a deployment, parents leave, more empty houses, etc...Watch out over the next couple of days, sometimes they like to come back...It's happened around here a couple times...
  • SLOCOOKN
    edited June 2007
    This is why I keep a Glock 21 under the bed....Glad to hear you are safe...The "thug" factor rises ten fold here every time there is a deployment, parents leave, more empty houses, etc...Watch out over the next couple of days, sometimes they like to come back...It's happened around here a couple times...

We will be staying at her parents house tonight. We will be dog watching as they will be at the Dobbie Brothers concert in Kansas City, MO.
    Sony cx985v (for now)
    BBE 482i
    B&K AVP 1030
    Adcom GFA 555 mk 2
    Nordost RCA
    SDA 3.1 tl RD0 tweets
    Belkin pf60
    Carver TFM 55x
    Signal Analog 2 RCA
    AudioQuestType 4
  • MSALLA
    edited June 2007
    The best way to keep robbers away...get a dog. Not a little bark bark dog but a good size dog. Any breed will due.
    Michael

Samsung 50" HD DLP
    Yamaha RX-V2500
    (2) Outlaw 200
    Adcom GFA 555
    Sony BDP300
    Denon 2900 DVD
    Lsi9's mains
    Lsi7's rear
    Lsic center
    Harmony 880
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited June 2007
    Glad you and the family are ok. Sounds like you did the right things. Grab the gun and call 911 and keep the line open until police arrive. This way everything that happens is recorded with the 911 operator. I have my Glock 17 in my nightstand and an AR-15 at the ready, and my wife knows the drill and has fired both extensively. I would recommend that you keep a magazine loaded in the future. It's pretty difficult to load a magazine under stress; especially if something like this happens and you're asleep.

My wife & I have a very well planned action in case of such a thing, and she knows exactly what to do. People don't take this stuff seriously, and they should. I grab the gun, she grabs the phone and goes into the walk-in closet, locking it behind her. She dials 911 and secures the loaded AR-15 that is in the closet. She doesn't come out until I tell her to, or if she is alone, until police arrive. Make sure you tell 911 that you are ARMED, otherwise you may be shot by the "good guys."

Dog's are a great "early warning" device, but don't depend on them to save you; nor should you depend on a baseball bat, fake firearm, knife/sword, etc. That'll just get you killed. The criminal element these days has changed---they just don't want your stuff anymore, they want an excuse to kill you.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited June 2007
    True occupied burglaries don't occur too often...unless they thought nobody was home. Do you know anyone or any reason why they might have had that idea? Even scarier...you almost had a home invasion perhaps.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • SLOCOOKN
    edited June 2007
    The best way to keep robbers away...get a dog. Not a little bark bark dogbut a good size dog. Any breed will due.

Wife is severely allergic to dogs, But thanks....

Another Idea that came to us is the panic button on the key fob.
    If you suspect something like this press the panic button for your car. This might just work..We did not think of it until after....
    Sony cx985v (for now)
    BBE 482i
    B&K AVP 1030
    Adcom GFA 555 mk 2
    Nordost RCA
    SDA 3.1 tl RD0 tweets
    Belkin pf60
    Carver TFM 55x
    Signal Analog 2 RCA
    AudioQuestType 4
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited June 2007
    Wife is severely allergic to dogs, But thanks....

Another Idea that came to us is the panic button on the key fob.
    If you suspect something like this press the panic button for your car. This might just work..We did not think of it until after....

Get a big Labradoodle. They don't shed and make good watchdogs.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.