Almost burglerized!

Comments

• wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited June 2007
    Skynut wrote: »
    How about when you go to leave for work in the morning and realize the garage door has been open all night.

Ok. I can't embarass myself twice in one thread.:p
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited June 2007
    If they are in your house, they are fair game. Castle Doctrine - at least in Florida.

Florida is awesome.

In Massachusetts, you have to have ... I forget the phrase they use... reasonable threat... something or other. Someone could break into your house, let's say unarmed, punch you in the face and knock you out, then burgle you. If you woke up while they were rummaging your house, got a firearm, and they again came at you, I still don't think you're allowed to use it, since they did not use that level of force on you.

The sad thing is, the majority of people in this pinko state agree with that. Protect the criminals :rolleyes:
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • wingnut4772
    edited June 2007
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    Florida is awesome.

In Massachusetts, you have to have ... I forget the phrase they use... reasonable threat... something or other. Someone could break into your house, let's say unarmed, punch you in the face and knock you out, then burgle you. If you woke up while they were rummaging your house, got a firearm, and they again came at you, I still don't think you're allowed to use it, since they did not use that level of force on you.

The sad thing is, the majority of people in this pinko state agree with that. Protect the criminals :rolleyes:
    Blame that on the Liberals. Even though I consider myself a moderate I am a pretty staunch conservative when it comes self defense law. I think the 'duty to retreat ' stuff is bullcrap. If a bad guy has made the choice to commit a violent crime or forcibly enter my home I say Blammo!
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

• steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited June 2007
    You never shoot-to-wound anyone. You shoot to kill, or don't shoot at all. A prosecutor will chew you up and spit you out if you can't convince the jury that you feared for your life---shooting someone to wound is NOT fearing for your life. TRUST ME on this. Nor do you ever shoot someone attempting to leave (aka running away). That ol urban legend about "draggin them back in the house" don't work, Forensic evidence will show that the individual was shot from behind. The main objective is to get the individual(s) out of your home.

Bottom line, be justified in your shooting. Use the best/most gun you can handle, that fits your situation. A shotgun (20 gauge minimum) is arguably the best home defense gun available. It's intimidating, powerful, reliable, and doesn't require intense shooting skills to use.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • steveinaz
    edited June 2007
    If a bad guy has made the choice to commit a violent crime or forcibly enter my home I say Blammo!

Blammo!...ROTFLMAO!!!!
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited June 2007
    I would shoot to take out, not too hurt but too KILL. ;)

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• wingnut4772
    edited June 2007
    disneyjoe7 wrote: »
    I would shoot to take out, not too hurt but too KILL. ;)

Well..you want to 'stop the deadly threat' and Steve is absolutely right that you MUST articulate that you were in fear for your life.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

• SLOCOOKN
    SLOCOOKN Posts: 704
    edited June 2007
    Well..you want to 'stop the deadly threat' and Steve is absolutely right that you MUST articulate that you were in fear for your life.

You should not discuss the incident. Be polite to the police and explain that you need your lawyer present before being questioned. You have to protect yourself in this area as well.
    :eek: From the bottom it looks like a steep incline, From the top another down hill slope of mine.:mad: But I know the equilibrium's there!:cool: .."Faith No More" :D
    Sony cx985v (for now)
    BBE 482i
    B&K AVP 1030
    Adcom GFA 555 mk 2
    AudioQuest Crystal 2 spk wire
    Nordost RCA
    SDA 3.1 tl RD0 tweets
    Belkin pf60
    Carver TFM 55x
    Signal Analog 2 RCA
    AudioQuestType 4
    VMPS Original Tall Boy (Mega Woofers soon)
  • BIZILL
    BIZILL Posts: 5,432
    edited June 2007
    SLOCOOKN wrote: »
    We will be staying at her parents house tonight. We will be dog watching as they will be at the Dobbie Brothers concert in Kansas City, MO.

I'd leave wifey there and keep guard over the homefront, imho.

POLK SDA-SRS 1.2TL -- ADCOM GFA-5802
    PANASONIC PT-AE4000U -- DIY WILSONART DW 135" 2.35:1 SCREEN
    ONKYO TX-SR805
    CENTER: CSI5
    MAINS: RTI8'S
    SURROUNDS: RTI8'S
    7.1 SURROUNDS: RTI6'S
    SUB: SVS PB12-PLUS/2 (12.3 series)

XBOX 360
    WiiPS3/blu-rayTOSHIBA HD-A35 hd dvd

http://polkarmy.com/forums/index.php
    bobman1235 wrote:
    I have no facts to back that up, but I never let facts get in the way of my arguments.
  • Bill Ayotte
    Bill Ayotte Posts: 1,860
    edited June 2007
    From what I have read here in TN, they don't even have to be in the house, I can pop him climbing through the window...I am fairly sure that more than one bullet would be fired too...
  • steveinaz
    edited June 2007
    I think you'll find 99% of the time, the police are giving a big thumbs up in these situations, internally. I know that is generally the attitude in Arizona. Hey, if you don't like being killed, STF outta my house.
  • steveinaz
    edited June 2007
    From what I have read here in TN, they don't even have to be in the house, I can pop him climbing through the window...I am fairly sure that more than one bullet would be fired too...

Each state has it's own rules with these situations. Being an NRA member, I was glad to see Florida approve the Castle Doctrine. Bad guys LOVE unarmed citizens.
  • wingnut4772
    edited June 2007
    You should not discuss the incident. Be polite to the police and explain that you need your lawyer present before being questioned. You have to protect yourself in this area as well.

True but you don't have to withold the basic info such as 'he broke into my house, he had a gun or other exonerating information. If it's true:p
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

• steveinaz
    edited June 2007
    True but you don't have to withold the basic info such as 'he broke into my house, he had a gun or other exonerating information. If it's true:p

Exactly. Give the facts, no more, no less. Situations like these get your adrenaline pumping, and you'll likely be very emotional---try to stay focused/level headed.
  • Mike682
    Mike682 Posts: 2,074
    edited June 2007
    Glad to hear nothing happened!

Just to add/elaborate on some points since my house was hit when we weren't home:

1) Reinforce all doors with 1" full throw deadbolts and install the reinforcing plate and 3" reinforcing screws supplied with the deadbolt. A 1" deadbolt is useless if the strike plate/door jam is not reinforced to the studs. Also use the double sided deadbolts (both sides use a key) with doors that have glass

2) Get a security system. My house was the first house on the block without a security system sign

3) Motion lights are a must.

4) Lock all the windows, especially on the first floor.

5) Outdoor security cams are a very good deterrent. The really cool thing is that you can check on your house from work! You can also set it to record on your comp only after motion is detected. My friend has this system ( I will very soon) and they like it:
    http://www.wilife.com/Products/Outdoor-Camera.aspx
    Receiver: harmankardon AVR235
    Mains: polk R30
    Center: polk CSi3
    Rear Surrounds: polk R20
    Subwoofer: polk PSW404
    DVD: Panasonic DVD-S29
  • steveinaz
    edited June 2007
    Bad guys hate lights, it's a cheap investment just to turn them on every night before going to bed. All of my outside lights go on, every night.
  • Mike682
    Mike682 Posts: 2,074
    edited June 2007
    steveinaz wrote: »
    Bad guys hate lights, it's a cheap investment just to turn them on every night before going to bed. All of my outside lights go on, every night.

me too

I run the energy saver bulbs by my doors.
    Receiver: harmankardon AVR235
    Mains: polk R30
    Center: polk CSi3
    Rear Surrounds: polk R20
    Subwoofer: polk PSW404
    DVD: Panasonic DVD-S29
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited June 2007
    Florida is awesome.

"They come at you with a knife, you use a gun; they put one of yours in the hospital, you send one of theirs to the morgue!"
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited June 2007
    Is that the Chicago way?
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited June 2007
    Is that the Chicago way?

Yep and it works in Boston too!!!:D I think?
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited June 2007
    12 guage pump shotgun!!! Point in direction of bad guy,. squeeze. . .bad guy down!
    Now where is the sport in that.

Its a good thing they did'nt get through that door,or you would have had to make a life changing decision for him and you.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited June 2007
    You know the saying "Dead people don't talk" :)

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• W WALDECKER
    W WALDECKER Posts: 900
    edited June 2007
    I keep a Heckler & Koch P9S loaded with 147 grain Black Talons for home defence.
    Rogue Audio stereo 100 tube amplifier - Lector Zoe preamplifier with 6H30 pi's
    .Audience AU24SE speaker and ic cables- Chord Qutest DAC - Black Cat Silverstar II 75ohm digital cable-Tyler Acoustics Linbrook Signature system with large bass cabinets to accommodate 10" Seas magnesium woofers.2xhmpsuownoj.jpg
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited June 2007
    Dad has a bunch of Black Talons as well, though I'm not sure what size or for which gun. He's definitely for using them for self-defense.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,670
    edited June 2007
    "You enter."
    "You die".

From the Book of Mossberg 500.
    2 shotshells, then the solid copper slugs get jacked.

Good idea, btw, regarding the car alarm. That could be an effective deterrent to intruders.
    Sal Palooza
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited June 2007
    if you keep clips loaded, consider cycling new rounds through them every once in a while... i've heard tales (maybe true, maybe urban legends) of springs binding inside the clip when the thing has been loaded for too long... just a thought...
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • Bill Ayotte
    Bill Ayotte Posts: 1,860
    edited June 2007
    neomagus00 wrote: »
    if you keep clips loaded, consider cycling new rounds through them every once in a while... i've heard tales (maybe true, maybe urban legends) of springs binding inside the clip when the thing has been loaded for too long... just a thought...

NOT urban legend....I reload mine once a week...I have seen a lot of military spec M9 and M4/16 mags do this, but it is somewhat of an extreme circumstance, some of the people over there never need to use any rounds, but they still get issued and load up their mags...They don't get touched until the ammo is turned back in, and they pull that top round out, all of the others pour out on the table...Kinda fun to watch..:D
  • steveinaz
    edited June 2007
    Auto-pistol cartridges can also suffer from bullet "set-back" if you chamber the same first round over & over again. I personally don't chamber a round in my night stand gun, though there is a full magazine in it. It's a smart practice to down load your magazine x 2. For example, my Glock 17 mags hold 17 rounds---I load 15. I do the same with all of my magazine-fed firearms. I also rotate between 3 magazines for my Glock. 2 are always loaded, 1 is empty.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,806
    edited June 2007
    You certainly have some valid points! I would take issue with the statement that bird shot would take someone's head clean off! I am an avid bird hunter and can attest to the lethality of #4 heavishot at 20 yards to a turkey. I don't believe that it would blow a persons head clean off....There was a show on mythbuster's recently about shooting a hat off someones head. The results with a shot gun were bad but no where even close to decapitation.

At point blank range, like in your hallway, birdshot can do enough damage to sever a limb. Maybe "clean off" was a bit extreme but it will remove enough of your neck that your head will feel a bit lonely. Eitherway, that's a big gun to point at some and there are alot of consequences that can follow once that trigger is pulled. Cooler heads usually prevail and your TV is not worth your kids losing thier daddy for one reason or another. That's all I'm saying.

An army drill instructor who ran a Boy Scout rifle range for summer camp told me once "Never point a gun at someone unless you are completely willing to use it an accept the consequences of the aftermath." Good advice IMO.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • W WALDECKER
    W WALDECKER Posts: 900
    edited June 2007
    Jstas wrote: »
    At point blank range, like in your hallway, birdshot can do enough damage to sever a limb. Maybe "clean off" was a bit extreme but it will remove enough of your neck that your head will feel a bit lonely. Eitherway, that's a big gun to point at some and there are alot of consequences that can follow once that trigger is pulled. Cooler heads usually prevail and your TV is not worth your kids losing thier daddy for one reason or another. That's all I'm saying.

An army drill instructor who ran a Boy Scout rifle range for summer camp told me once "Never point a gun at someone unless you are completely willing to use it an accept the consequences of the aftermath." Good advice IMO.
    if someone unlawfully enters your home which puts you in fear for your life and the lives of your family members, they should be prepared to meet thier maker.
    Rogue Audio stereo 100 tube amplifier - Lector Zoe preamplifier with 6H30 pi's
    .Audience AU24SE speaker and ic cables- Chord Qutest DAC - Black Cat Silverstar II 75ohm digital cable-Tyler Acoustics Linbrook Signature system with large bass cabinets to accommodate 10" Seas magnesium woofers.2xhmpsuownoj.jpg