What to do with HOA that won't help with a safety concern?

Comments

• jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited May 2007
    F1nut wrote: »
    Obviously, you don't know me, so let me introduce myself. Go f*ck yourself. :D

Good Lord, y'all are on a roll today. Freakin awsome!
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • MikeC78
    MikeC78 Posts: 2,315
    edited May 2007
    Yep, I admit it... I live in one of these neighborhoods myself.:o I bought this house out of spite on the internet while I was in Iraq and the wife was pregnant, won't let that mistake happen again.:rolleyes:

I went to one of these HOA meetings for a short while, and let me tell you, I'LL NEVER DO IT AGAIN!!!:mad:

People **** about the pettiest **** I have ever heard in my entire life! People were complaining about kids throwing rocks in the lake, people they thought were illegally fishing in the lake, and people speeding through the subdivision of course.

I didn't stay for the rest of the meeting, I acted like my cell phone was ringing and that it was very important. I swiftly walked out...
  • candyliquor35m
    candyliquor35m Posts: 2,267
    edited May 2007
    ohskigod wrote: »
    I'm still trying to figure out how a car in the street looks trashy.

Candy, I'll be blunt. you HOA is blowing you off most likly because you have a reputation fo being a pain in the ****. I hate to sound insulting, but Jesus Christ, not everyone thinks and lives like you, people are different. if they want to park in the street, let them, you dont want to park in the street? DONT!!

in all hosesty, if a neighbor came up to me and asked "why are you parking in the street" my response would be "because I frikkin feel like it" it's no one's business why I park where I park, if its legal, then so be it.

As I said, I'd be satisfied with a paragraph in the newsletter urging residents not to park in the street to allow ambulance, fire trucks, police, etc to get thru easier but so far no luck. There are some places where cars get parked on both sides of a 2 lane street so if 2 cars meet at that point, 1 has to yield and let the other car go thru.

Riddle me this: Were streets built to drive on or to park on?

I thought you'd see my point.
  • MikeC78
    MikeC78 Posts: 2,315
    edited May 2007
    Are you a police officer?? Let the local police do their job, otherwise go complain to the city. No one is going to listen to you because you think you are important.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,437
    edited May 2007
    I see your point and I'll raise you. I'm adding you to the bozo list.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited May 2007
    I park in the street, but I live in the city and there isn't a single home within 15 miles that has a driveway. I suppose I could drive my car into my living room and park it there at night.

And driveway or not, I'm with ohskigod on this one. If someone approached me with their concerns about me parking my hooptie on the street, you'd have to pick me up off the pavement from laughing so hard.
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited May 2007
    It is a safety concern for sure. As a driver I know kids run out into the street, they just do. The question is, do I get 7 feet to see them coming, slam on the brakes and hope I can miss them or do I get one foot when they are already standing there. If you think you can stop in time doing 15mph while paying attention you are wrong. Forget the HOA, write a letter to the editor of the local paper. BTW, if your HOA does have this issue covered in their covenents but are not enforcing it you may get away with not paying their fees.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited May 2007
    I would suggest you start setting fires in various parts of your neighborhood.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Rivrrat
    Rivrrat Posts: 2,101
    edited May 2007
    You can start with my gate, I need a new one. In fact, I'm betting I'd be getting a letter by now if my wife wasn't el-jefe of our HOA.
    My equipment sig felt inadequate and deleted itself.
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited May 2007
    If they tried to get me to sign one I would drop trow and pinch off a steaming loaf right on that piece of ****.

Then they could create a rule for that too.
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited May 2007
    dorokusai wrote: »

Oh, even better! :D
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • candyliquor35m
    edited May 2007

Best idea yet.

Parking in the streets isn't covered by the covenants and neither is parking in the yard which someone at the meeting suggested might happen.

Edit: Thanks for not recommending self-mutilation.
  • Bill Ayotte
    Bill Ayotte Posts: 1,860
    edited May 2007

Preferably with old tires....Give it that Somalia feel.:D

I understand where you come from on a for-the-kids POV, even from a looks-like-crap POV....If it is legal by city code though, so be it.
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited May 2007
    HOA = homeowners association

My concern is that all the vehicles that are being parked on the street instead of the driveways will eventually cause a child to be struck if they run out from behind one of the parked cars because it's harder to see them when the street is not completely open. This is a suburb where everyone has a nice driveway and a 2 car garage which combined should hold 6 vehicles per house.

I've been to the board meetings probably going on 6 months in a row now and they are getting tired of seeing my face. I even wrote them a letter (attached) last month and they refused to let me read it at the board meeting in front of the other handful of residents. They wrote me a letter the very next day saying 'At this time the Board is not willing to pursue this matter'.

But yet they put a paragraph in the monthly hoa 40 page newsletter urging everyone to only hold garage sales on certain saturdays and to store our trash cans out of view. I would be happy if they put something similar urging residents to only park in the street in an emergency.

Any suggestions?

Note: In the letter, Mr Radack is the county commissioner who controls the streets, stoplights, stop signs, parking, etc.

This is why I don't live where there is an ASSociation. People are complaining all the time.

Edit
    Tell the parents to supervise their kids, and teach them not to run out in the road!
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Bill Ayotte
    edited May 2007
    ben62670 wrote: »
    This is why I don't live where there is an ASSociation. People are complaining all the time.

Edit
    Tell the parents to supervise their kids, and teach them not to run out in the road!

Kids are always going to run into the road, no matter what the parents tell them. The supervise part couldn't be more important....
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited May 2007
    Kids are always going to run into the road, no matter what the parents tell them. The supervise part couldn't be more important....

I just guess that it was different when I grew up. I got my **** whooped if I got caught playing in the street. We wouldn't leave the curb. I wanted to run away one time, but I didn't get far because I wouldn't cross the street. If they are to young that they can't figure out look both ways before crossing the street. Well maybe they are to young to be outside unsuppervised?:rolleyes:
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited May 2007
    My take on this...and I live in a area with an association...people need to quit trying to create their own little world. You chose to live in a subdivision, welcome to subdivision LIFE. If you want things your way, buy 5 acres outside of town and do what you want.

I get tired of the pissing and moaning neighbore here, acting like they live in an "estate" setting or something--give me a break. Your house is 12 feet from the one next to it, and you want to complain about noise?? What did you expect? Ya gets what ya pays for.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • Bill Ayotte
    edited May 2007
    ben62670 wrote: »
    I just guess that it was different when I grew up. I got my **** whooped if I got caught playing in the street. We wouldn't leave the curb.

I was brought up the same way....Some parents just don't care anymore....
  • MrNightly
    MrNightly Posts: 3,370
    edited May 2007
    steveinaz wrote: »
    My take on this...and I live in a area with an association...people need to quit trying to create their own little world. You chose to live in a subdivision, welcome to subdivision LIFE. If you want things your way, buy 5 acres outside of town and do what you want.

I get tired of the pissing and moaning neighbore here, acting like they live in an "estate" setting or something--give me a break. Your house is 12 feet from the one next to it, and you want to complain about noise?? What did you expect? Ya gets what ya pays for.

Hey, my house is 17 feet from the next one.. get your facts straight! ;)

I have pissed all my neighbors off, because I won't go to the stupid HOA meetings... they always walk over and take it upon themselves to fill me in on the latest happenings... I could honestly care less.

Oh, and parking cars in the street? Somebody said it already, a car can only be parked in the street for 24hrs by most city laws, and has to be within 12inches of the curb. If it hasn't moved in 24hrs, and isn't within 12inches of the curb, it will/can get a ticket. Let the police take care of it. If you have a complaints, call your local PD and forget the HOA.
    Honoured to be, an original SOPA founding member
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    SVS PB12-NSD/2 - sub :D:D:D
    Denon 3805
    Rotel RB-985 5-Channel Amplifier

• Bill Ayotte
    edited May 2007
    I'm thinking that he is talking about people just parking there cars there overnight/in general...Most HOA's are ****, the one around here is just plain hilarious.....They really don't have any sort of power, and it is mostly made up of bitchy wifes around here....
  • candyliquor35m
    edited May 2007
    MrNightly wrote: »
    Hey, my house is 17 feet from the next one.. get your facts straight! ;)

I have pissed all my neighbors off, because I won't go to the stupid HOA meetings... they always walk over and take it upon themselves to fill me in on the latest happenings... I could honestly care less.

Oh, and parking cars in the street? Somebody said it already, a car can only be parked in the street for 24hrs by most city laws, and has to be within 12inches of the curb. If it hasn't moved in 24hrs, and isn't within 12inches of the curb, it will/can get a ticket. Let the police take care of it. If you have a complaints, call your local PD and forget the HOA.

Good idea but we don't have that here. If it has up to date registration and inspection stickers, I don't think there's any time limit whatsoever and I'm sure of it. The county constable that we pay full-time to patrol the subdivision attends some of the meetings and confirmed there's nothing she can do.
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,861
    edited May 2007
    Skateboarders keying the cars parked in the street is usually an adequate deterrent...................
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • MrNightly
    MrNightly Posts: 3,370
    edited May 2007
    Good idea but we don't have that here. If it has up to date registration and inspection stickers, I don't think there's any time limit whatsoever and I'm sure of it. The county constable that we pay full-time to patrol the subdivision attends some of the meetings and confirmed there's nothing she can do.

How small is your city?!?

Or should I say, village? :) hahaha
    Honoured to be, an original SOPA founding member
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    SVS PB12-NSD/2 - sub :D:D:D
    Denon 3805
    Rotel RB-985 5-Channel Amplifier

• candyliquor35m
    edited May 2007
    I have a katy tx address but I must live outside of the city limits so this area is patrolled by the county. I yahoo'd it and got a population of 13,374. The subdivision is quite large with between 2000-3000 houses. I always forget the exact #. Edit: "subdivision is comprised of 2,219 homes placed over 27 miles of winding road".

Dennis, I didn't know the guardian angels rode skateboards. Do you have their phone #?
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited May 2007
    As I said, I'd be satisfied with a paragraph in the newsletter urging residents not to park in the street to allow ambulance, fire trucks, police, etc to get thru easier but so far no luck. There are some places where cars get parked on both sides of a 2 lane street so if 2 cars meet at that point, 1 has to yield and let the other car go thru.

Riddle me this: Were streets built to drive on or to park on?

I thought you'd see my point.

drove an ambulance for 13 years, if I coulnt get through, believe me, you'd know. dont worry abou the emergency drivers, they know how to get sh^t done. you would be amazed at the places I (as well as fireman32) have squeezed an ambulance.

question - were streets built to drive on or park on
    Lou's answer - ummm.....uhhhh..YEAH!!!!!!

I've seen people park in streets since as long as i can remember. I know of few roads where street parking are strictly forboden, unless it is just way to narrow, or for some other special reason. a 4 lane artery that you described probably doesnt apply.

if street parking is one of your biggest worriest, then I congratulate you, since life must be going great. Me? I consider myself fortunate in life, but still have bigger things to worry about then where my neighbors park, unless its in my driveway.
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited May 2007
    another point, how do I entertain people in my home if there is no parking on the street? "hey dude, nice home, shame no more than 4 people can be in it........ unless they take a bus or a f*cking cab" I dont know about you, but I have these things called friends, they like to come to my home and hang out, maybe a little poker, or animal sacrifice (kidding)

if there was no parking in the street, my life would be very boring
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • candyliquor35m
    edited May 2007
    I had no idea or intention that this would turn into a debate over parking in the street. I was merely looking for suggestions on how to accomplish the task not whether the task was worth the effort.

For me, I value my possessions too much to leave them in the street where anyone can slam into the back of them and then take off. No I don't have collision/full coverage auto insurance. I have the required liability that's required in most states. Both vehicles are at least 10 years old with about 150k miles on them and I still wouldn't park them on the street.

Night time is a little easier to understand than daytime but alot of these vehicles are there all day long and on these 2 minor arteries, literally thousands of vehicles have to squeeze down from 2 lanes each direction down to 1 lane. I'm sorry I'm not that arrogant to impose that much inconvenience on that many people on a daily basis.

Parties and get togethers I can live with. I've had that happen on my street and didn't even bother to go outside to see what was going on.
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited May 2007
    Parties and get togethers I can live with. I've had that happen on my street and didn't even bother to go outside to see what was going on.
    Why, you weren't invited? Surprise surprise. :D
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • candyliquor35m
    edited May 2007
    Face wrote: »
    Why, you weren't invited? Surprise surprise. :D

rotflol
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,978
    edited May 2007
    HOA's bite.

Sucks.

Children, when they have to go out on a road when the sidewalk is completely blocked by the [car/truck] will go into the street. I saw this on an instance to where the mother was not within close enough proximity to save the child when the "path" ran short. The mother was 4 feet away. Luck played a part on that one, but.........

The roads are "maybe" 13 feet apart @ the townhouse. What the hell do you do when you have every angle possible coming at you?

Serious question from treitz3.................................................................
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~