F'n gas prices!!!!!!!!!!

1235»

Comments

• Nisqually Dave
    Nisqually Dave Posts: 220
    edited June 2007
    Up here where the oil comes in from alaska, we have gas tax that is in the top five in the country. And most of the oil is sent overseas.

Worst state in the union goverment wise tax tax and more tax.

Bought a Amp last week on E bay locally and got charged taxes on it could have had it shipped from the East coast without taxes for the same price what a bummer.
  • Bill Ayotte
    Bill Ayotte Posts: 1,860
    edited June 2007
    Up here where the oil comes in from alaska, we have gas tax that is in the top five in the country. And most of the oil is sent overseas.

Worst state in the union goverment wise tax tax and more tax.

Bought a Amp last week on E bay locally and got charged taxes on it could have had it shipped from the East coast without taxes for the same price what a bummer.

Christ man...I found out tonight that TN approved a bill that upped the cigarette tax from about $0.25 to $0.65 a pack....Good thing I don't smoke....Looks like Tn is heading in the same direction.
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited June 2007
    PhantomOG wrote: »

From what I understood of the article, investing in a new refinery is too chancey, HOW ABOUT THAT!
  • xsmi
    xsmi Posts: 1,798
    edited June 2007
    No, not chancey but is counter productive to the oil refinery company. would you want $20 per barrel of profit or go back to $2 per barrel. That's why I find it funny that our gov. is looking to the oil industry to find ways for us to use less of their product.
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • Danny Tse
    Danny Tse Posts: 5,206
    edited June 2007
    It's really a sin that it takes $52.00 worth of regular unleaded to fill up a 4 cylinder Toyota Camry.
  • Serendipity
    Serendipity Posts: 6,975
    edited June 2007
    That's not that bad. In NYC a Toyota Camry would cost $60 to fill up, at the minimum. I know because my neighbor has one.
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited June 2007
    So... don't be dumb and have a car in NYC?
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • Serendipity
    Serendipity Posts: 6,975
    edited June 2007
    Having a car is OK. Just don't drive in Manhattan - parking is like $30 for an hour in some places.
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,788
    edited June 2007
    $400-$600 a per truck, per week in deisel. Ten trucks on the road per day. French fry grease is looking better every day.
  • xsmi
    edited June 2007
    lightman1 wrote: »
    $400-$600 a per truck, per week in deisel. Ten trucks on the road per day. French fry grease is looking better every day.

:D LOL
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • hearingimpared
    edited June 2007
    xsmi wrote: »
    That's why I find it funny that our gov. is looking to the oil industry to find ways for us to use less of their product.

That is one thing that I always found rediculous. . . they are going FORCE them to find ways for us to use less of their product. If someone was forcing me to do that with one of my products I would force my consumer into paying NOW for my future losses. . . Oh yeah that is exactly what is occurring. I have not problem with Exxon having windfall profits.
  • xsmi
    edited June 2007
    That is one thing that I always found rediculous. . . they are going FORCE them to find ways for us to use less of their product. If someone was forcing me to do that with one of my products I would force my consumer into paying NOW for my future losses. . . Oh yeah that is exactly what is occurring. I have not problem with Exxon having windfall profits.

They are not FORCING them to do anything. They are trying to "persuade" them to do it through "incentives" putting more money into their coffers. Either way they win. I do have a problem with their profits because i say it again... The oil industry is unique in that they have a product we can not do with out. If Home depot raises their prices I go to Lowes, if Best Buy raises their prices I go to Circuit City, if the price of gas goes up I go to...
  • No. 6
    No. 6 Posts: 10
    edited June 2007
    appadv wrote: »
    Having a car is OK. Just don't drive in Manhattan - parking is like $30 for an hour in some places.
    Never been to NY, but I always wondered what the big deal was with parking there as it was a topic of coversation in several episodes of Seinfeld. Friend of mine just went to NYC a few weeks ago and said she spent $60 for parking in 2 days. I guess that's better than $30/hr., but still.
  • hearingimpared
    edited June 2007
    They are not FORCING them to do anything. They are trying to "persuade" them to do it through "incentives" putting more money into their coffers. Either way they win. I do have a problem with their profits because i say it again... The oil industry is unique in that they have a product we can not do with out. If Home depot raises their prices I go to Lowes, if Best Buy raises their prices I go to Circuit City, if the price of gas goes up I go to...

Should they be punished for being the only game in town? I don't think so. Until some other competitor steps in and gives them a run for their money, why can't they capitalize? on it as long as they are not gouging their customers.

Just a thought: Aren't local electric companies governed by the Public Utilities Commission? If what you say is true that the oil industry is unique then why haven't they been placed under the watchful eyes of a Public Utilities Commision. I believe that was tried with the oil companies with regulation and it didn't work so it was deregulated. . . am I wrong here? I know it is not the exact same situation but I think it is similar.
  • xsmi
    edited June 2007
    Should they be punished for being the only game in town? I don't think so. Until some other competitor steps in and gives them a run for their money, why can't they capitalize? on it as long as they are not gouging their customers.

Just a thought: Aren't local electric companies governed by the Public Utilities Commission? If what you say is true that the oil industry is unique then why haven't they been placed under the watchful eyes of a Public Utilities Commision. I believe that was tried with the oil companies with regulation and it didn't work so it was deregulated. . . am I wrong here? I know it is not the exact same situation but I think it is similar.

Actually where I live there is competition in all of the utillity sectors, natural gas, electricity, phones etc. except cable and you don't want to know what i pay for cable and do not have premium channels just basic HD. The big oil industries have already been found not to be gouging the consumers yeah right on the same day the gas prices went up .65 per gallon. Look, I know nothing is going to be done about it. It is just so frustrating listening to people defend the undefendable. If the price of oil per barrel is LESS than it was last year this time, why are we paying .50 per gallon MORE now? There is no excuse for it except greed. If they stood up and said that I for one would respect them more.

I support a company Apple Inc. for that very reason. A lot of people look at their products as over priced and so they buy a cheaper alternative. (Which by the way configured the same the mac comes out to cost less almost every time). But Apple stood up a long time ago and said we see healthy profit margins as a way to stay in business. We cannot compete against the likes of Dell and HP on price alone. I respect that. Do I wish macs were cheaper? Hell yeah! Will my next computer purchase be a mac? Hell **** yes!! It is the principles and the big oil companies as they get richer and richer on our backs and our politicians on both sides of the ailse do nothing about it but cover for them is drives me insane.
  • hearingimpared
    edited June 2007
    I support a company Apple Inc. for that very reason. A lot of people look at their products as over priced and so they buy a cheaper alternative. (Which by the way configured the same the mac comes out to cost less almost every time). But Apple stood up a long time ago and said we see healthy profit margins as a way to stay in business. We cannot compete against the likes of Dell and HP on price alone. I respect that. Do I wish macs were cheaper? Hell yeah! Will my next computer purchase be a mac? Hell **** yes!! It is the principles and the big oil companies as they get richer and richer on our backs and our politicians on both sides of the ailse do nothing about it but cover for them is drives me insane.

I think if I had a needed product that I can produce and that product was finite, I would think about the future and get as much as I can for the product now without gouging my consumers. Supply and demand are at work here.
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited June 2007
    The big oil industries have already been found not to be gouging the consumers yeah right on the same day the gas prices went up .65 per gallon. Look, I know nothing is going to be done about it. It is just so frustrating listening to people defend the undefendable. If the price of oil per barrel is LESS than it was last year this time, why are we paying .50 per gallon MORE now? There is no excuse for it except greed. If they stood up and said that I for one would respect them more.

This quote pretty much tells me that you really do not understand the industry at all. Buying the oil is a piece of the price, but there is much, MUCH more to it. Examples: What refineries are available and where? What stupid mixture is the government having you convert it to? How do you ship it? From where? What about local supply fluctuations? Risk? Timing? etc... It's not as simple as oil price drops, gas price drops. The system, as it currently is built, can not handle the current demand, that's it. They raise prices as to try and pay for additional capacity to be brought online and to decrease demand to prevent shortages.
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • xsmi
    edited June 2007
    If it were simple supply and demand the prices would not fluctuate so frequently Business 101. But you know what there isn't a damn thing any of us can do about it so i don't know why I am so angry. I'm going to my buddies to do some listening. You guys have a good evening. Keep drinking the kool-aid makes you feel better as they ram it in.
  • xsmi
    edited June 2007
    One last thing! Why were you guys in such a huff last year when the Saudis said they were going to cut prodcut to conserve this precious commodity.
  • jdhdiggs
    edited June 2007
    Prices fluctuate frequently because of supply and demand. I just think that you are lacking any understanding of how the industry really works. To me, it's pretty damn obvious that you have no clue.

If you want to start arguing economic theory in the mineral markets with me we can..

If this question is easy for you then I think you can get your learn on: Why is the current increase in price of chicken and beef decreasing the cost that you pay at the pump?

Hint: There are two primary reasons, one has a major impact, the other minor.
    Minor reason: Higher prices reduce order frequency reducing trips reducing gas demand.
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • xsmi
    edited June 2007
    Actually,

jdhdiggs, I came back to apologize to you. See, I am a little miffed. NPR did a story yesterday (I can not for the life of me remember the program) where they rode around with a local gas station owner. This guy talkedabout how he decided what his price would be. Part of what went into his discision was waht the people around him charged and he said in the report he would charge whatever he could. That to me is price fixing and fr someone to admit it a couple of weeks after the gov. says it is not going on and reading the above article it is enough to make me angry. I do not care what you think you know about the inside of this industry all it bols down to is they have us over a barrel and we will not be able to do anything about it.
  • jdhdiggs
    edited June 2007
    I'd agree with that. I just get pissed when people have absolutely no clue about how the industry works start accusing it of doing something it can't control.

In my book that station owner has every right to set the price to whatever he feels like. If it matches the guy across the street, so be it. If he wants to mark it up $0.10 so be it but it will hurt his business. If he wants to drop it $0.10 and only make a penny a gallon, well he'll get plenty of business untill he runs out but he still won't make much money. What you described isn't price fixing or collusion, it is a perfect free market example. Price fixing would be all the stations saying "Let's set all our prices at $3.63 today and $4.15 tomorrow!" In that situation it is price fixing but if one gas station pulls out, the coalition would crumble.

The only thing you and I can do about it is drive less and use less power unless you want to invent some way to change the status quo. But believe me, the oil and gas business is very cut throat and competitive and you will never see price fixing at an aggregate level. (local sellers are a different story)
  • hearingimpared
    edited June 2007
    Keep drinking the kool-aid makes you feel better as they ram it in.

See that's not right. I was just giving an opinion on looking at the situation at a very high level. Why would you want to make me out to be a sheep because I don't see the problem with an American company making record profits?
  • xsmi
    edited June 2007
    You're right HearingImpaired that remark was uncalled for and I am very very sorry. There is no excuse for me. Please forgive me.
  • hearingimpared
    edited June 2007
    You're right HearingImpaired that remark was uncalled for and I am very very sorry. There is no excuse for me. Please forgive me.

No sweat.
  • THX 3417
    THX 3417 Posts: 219
    edited June 2007
    Well British gas and electric called around yesterday inquiring about the rates of the charges on the gas and electricity. They said they’ll talk to the agents who own the property to lower the costs as all the gas is now rapped from the North Sea:( and its all coming from Russia with Love:) now at cheaper rates.