F'n gas prices!!!!!!!!!!

Comments

• agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,425
    edited April 2007
    Man--It's enough to make me consider whether a given trip is necessary or not. I guess I'm glad I sold my 93-octane drinking SVT!
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,663
    edited May 2007
    May 15 is a day everyone is asked not to get gas. That should put a dent in their wallet.
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited May 2007
    engtaz wrote: »
    May 15 is a day everyone is asked not to get gas. That should put a dent in their wallet.

Yeah, it's worked so well all the other times.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited May 2007
    And then May 16th does double the business. Yeah, that'll teach those **** in the Middle East!

(BTW, it's really not XOM or BP that's shafting you)
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • xsmi
    xsmi Posts: 1,798
    edited May 2007
    jdhdiggs wrote: »
    And then May 16th does double the business. Yeah, that'll teach those **** in the Middle East!

BS! Then why are their profits so High? or was that sarcasm? I saw no emoticon.
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • aaharvel
    aaharvel Posts: 4,489
    edited May 2007
    when we stop burning so much fuel then maybe gas prices will go down. Mac's right it's gotten to the point now where we need to start drilling in the Arctic. The Carribeau will be fine, I guess, who cares.. i'm paying $50 at the pump right now.

At least it's not $8 like it is over in Europe.
    H/K Signature 2.1+235
    Jungson MagicBoat II
    Revel Performa M-20
    Velodyne cht-10 sub
    Rega P1 Turntable

"People working at Polk Audio must sit around the office and just laugh their balls off reading many of these comments." -Lush
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,161
    edited May 2007
    Jumped again last night on my way home from work

$3.09
    $3.19
    $3.29

This is just crazy. There is no reason for the arbitrary price increases.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • xsmi
    edited May 2007
    Yeah there is, it's capitalism at its finest boys and girls.
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,994
    edited May 2007
    I heard on the news it was due to 4 people being kidnaped (yeah what ever), low reserves. Then they said since they made so much profit the last couple days , they will give back by lowering the price by 4.5c a litre. Sure now they look like the good guys....
  • bobman1235
    edited May 2007
    Do we have to go through this every summer?
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited May 2007
    Yes, because we love to create crisis when there is none.
  • markmarc
    markmarc Posts: 2,309
    edited May 2007
    Before we start drilling in the Artic, we need to have the refining capacity. Right now we have to sell off oil from Alaska due to a shortage of refining capacity.
    Our current system and energy policy is a joke, and it's been that way for 20 years. We, as citizens need to demand the politicians pull their collective heads out of the big **** and actually do something besides appear on Meet the Press, etc..
    Review Site_ (((AudioPursuit)))
    Founder/Publisher Affordable$$Audio 2006-13.
    Former Staff Member TONEAudio
    2 Ch. System
    Amplifiers: Parasound Halo P6 pre, Vista Audio i34, Peachtree amp500, Adcom GFP-565 GFA-535ii, 545ii, 555ii
    Digital: SimAudio HAD230 DAC, iMac 20in/Amarra,
    Speakers: Paradigm Performa F75, Magnepan .7, Totem Model 1's, ACI Emerald XL, Celestion Si Stands. Totem Dreamcatcher sub
    Analog: Technics SL-J2 w/Pickering 3000D, SimAudio LP5.3 phono pre
    Cable/Wires: Cardas, AudioArt, Shunyata Venom 3
  • jdhdiggs
    edited May 2007
    xsmi wrote: »
    BS! Then why are their profits so High? or was that sarcasm? I saw no emoticon.

It was sarcasm to show how dumb one day boycotts are.

Their profits are ridicoulous because everything is huge. You make 7 cents profit a gallon but sell 485,000,000,000 gallons you make a lot of profit. 7 cents out of $3 bucks isn't an obscene profit margin.
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • bobman1235
    edited May 2007
    Here's a link to the snopes article that gets posted EVERY YEAR when we have these same pointless articles about boycotting gas for a day. It boggles my mind that we have the same stupid pointless debates every year, and everyone just rehashes the same arguments every year.
  • xsmi
    edited May 2007
    It was sarcasm to show how dumb one day boycotts are.

Their profits are ridicoulous because everything is huge. You make 7 cents profit a gallon but sell 485,000,000,000 gallons you make a lot of profit. 7 cents out of $3 bucks isn't an obscene profit margin.

Show me where they are only making .07 per Gallon. I don't buy the argument that we are using more gas so the profits are going astronomical. Yes we are using more gas, however I have heard many energy analyst say that the profits are as much as 300% more than the rise in fuel usage. Not all say it is rising that high, they all agreed that we need to use less fuel.

Listen what we have here is clearly a case of supply and demand. The oil companies know they have a product that we cannot do without. There are very few products in the market that we NEED like gasoline. They know about how much we can pay before it has severe impact on them as an industry and the economy at-large. We will gripe about the prices and still go to the pump and pony up the money because we have to. They have us over a barrell and they know it.
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited May 2007
    How much does a bale of hay cost these days. I'm thinking of getting a horse, buggy and pooper scooper!!!!:p
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited May 2007
    How much does a bale of hay cost these days. I'm thinking of getting a horse, buggy and pooper scooper!!!!:p

You'll have to get an industrial sized air cleaner to mount to your horse to filter all the methane that come from both ends of it. :p
  • MillerLiteScott
    MillerLiteScott Posts: 2,561
    edited May 2007
    I got ripped off and paid @ $6.00 for a bale hay the other day to do some seeding. Makes on wonder how many bales of hay to the mile a horse gets:confused:
    I like speakers that are bigger than a small refrigerator but smaller than a big refrigerator:D
  • xsmi
    edited May 2007
    lol You guys are killing me!!
  • Serendipity
    Serendipity Posts: 6,975
    edited May 2007
    heiney9 wrote: »
    Jumped again last night on my way home from work

$3.09
    $3.19
    $3.29

This is just crazy. There is no reason for the arbitrary price increases.

Jumped again here too. Just saw $3.39-$3.49/gal.
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,950
    edited May 2007
    We should find a way to use big mouthed,long winded,politicians as fuel.
    We never seem to run out of them.:)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,663
    edited May 2007

WOW your car only hold enough gas for 2 days:eek: :eek: :eek:
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited May 2007
    dylan wrote: »
    Is anyone using credit cards that have pay-backs for using on gas? The best (?) I found was 5% back for gas purchases. I commute about 85 miles a day, and get about 26 mpg. Painful. Made me think there has to be a way to take advantage of credit card company greed, while it being practial to administer another card and credit implications.

nice idea. but what does the credit card company charge in finance charges? is it extreme? do they charge a yearly charge just for having the card?
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited May 2007

I am so taking part in this. I wish it could be done for an entire week though. One day will hardly hurt anyone. but a week.. yeah baby! :p
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • WilliamM2
    WilliamM2 Posts: 4,771
    edited May 2007
    Tuesday May 15th sounds like a poor day to do it, as most people around here gas up on payday, which is usually Friday.

I'll be taking part, but only because I always gas up on Saturday. Doubt my 4 gallons a week would have a big impact on the oil companies anyways.
  • hearingimpared
    edited May 2007
    Demiurge wrote: »
    You'll have to get an industrial sized air cleaner to mount to your horse to filter all the methane that come from both ends of it. :p

As long as I don't feed him Beefarino the flatulence :eek: should be at a minimum!!!:D :p
  • hearingimpared
    edited May 2007
    danger boy wrote: »
    I am so taking part in this. I wish it could be done for an entire week though. One day will hardly hurt anyone. but a week.. yeah baby! :p

Al, I just don't see how this is going to hurt anyone but the service station owners that sell gas. . . hmmm . . . most of them of Middle Eastern around here, hmmmm. . .
  • jdhdiggs
    edited May 2007
    WOW your car only hold enough gas for 2 days:eek: :eek: :eek:

Good God, now I see why you think this will do something to the oil companies. They won't give a rat's **** if everyone in the country skips a day. Why? because all those schmoe's who were going to fill up on Friday will wait 1 whole day and fill up on Saturday. Big oil still gets it's money one day later.

Lets say a gas station sells 70,000 gallons a week or 10,000 per day. Everyone does this crap, so instead of:
    M-10,000 T-10,000 W- 10,000 R- 10,000 F-10,000 Sa-10,000 Su-10,000

You get:
    M-10,000 T-10,000 W- 10,000 R- 12,000 F- 0 Sa-18,000 Su-10,000

Yup, you sure told them. The next day they'll do double business (I had some people fill up early so it's not exactly double) causing lines and PITA for the consumer. Good plan there champ. :rolleyes:

XSMI: Let's reverse the question, what is an appropriate profit margin for an oil company to make? 5%? 10%? 20%? If you look at XOM's top line, with refinining, leasing, gas station profits etc... they make a whopping $0.10 per $1 they take in. The $0.07/gallon is right as that's what goes back to the big oil for selling you the gas. The rest of the profit from local sales goes to the local operator. Compare that with any industry and you'll be shocked how little they actually make in regards to their revenue.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,161
    edited May 2007
    Listening to the news this morning I heard Shell had a 14% increase in net profit compared to last quarter. To be fair the report stated that it wasn't all from higher pump prices but still.......

They just keep racking us over the coals on this issue :mad:
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • PhantomOG
    PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
    edited May 2007
    dylan wrote: »
    Is anyone using credit cards that have pay-backs for using on gas? The best (?) I found was 5% back for gas purchases.

Yep, 5% cash back on gas stations, grocery stores, and drug stores. No yearly fee, and I pay it off every month so no finance charges. I get about $50 a month back. Not too bad. What's nice is that most grocery stores carry gift cards for lots of other stores. :D

However, it is almost impossible to find cards like that anymore. Most are topping out around 2 or 3% now, with maybe a 5% introductory period.