F'n gas prices!!!!!!!!!!

Comments

• danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited April 2007
    the local utility company here where I live last year reported a $73 million dollar profit... and guess what? Next year they want to raise our rates 16%. WTF!!!!
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • JimBRICK
    JimBRICK Posts: 1,543
    edited April 2007
    I'm my town today were paying 110 per litre and that's NUTS
    2 CHANNEL
    Speaker - Klipsch Heresy II
    Under construction
  • petrym
    petrym Posts: 1,912
    edited April 2007
    Kwitchyou'rebellyachin'!

Got $2,200? In this world, you're rich.
    A global study reveals an overwhelming wealth gap, with the world's three richest people having more money than the poorest 48 nations combined.

You may believe you've heard this statistic before, but you haven't: For the first time, personal wealth -- not income -- has been measured around the world. The findings may be surprising, for what makes people "wealthy" across the world spectrum is a relatively low bar.

The research indicates that assets of just $2,200 per adult place a household in the top half of the world's wealthiest. To be among the richest 10% of adults in the world, just $61,000 in assets is needed. If you have more than $500,000, you're part of the richest 1%, the United Nations study says. Indeed, 37 million people now belong in that category.

snip

The world's total wealth is valuated at $125 trillion. Although North America has only 6% of the world's adult population, it accounts for 34% of household wealth.
    Article

I'd rather pay three, four, or even five dollars a gallon for gasoline than live in any of the terrible places of abject poverty I've seen in this world.
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited April 2007
    So by assets you mean money you have above and beyond what you owe? I'm in the minus 40K range all told... Certainly not one of the rich people. Man, what I would give to have $2200 to my name.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited April 2007
    Dont forget the English price of gas. It translates into about $8/gallon! :eek:
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • McLoki
    McLoki Posts: 5,231
    edited April 2007
    danger boy wrote: »
    the local utility company here where I live last year reported a $73 million dollar profit... and guess what? Next year they want to raise our rates 16%. WTF!!!!

Our local utility made 547 million in fiscal year 06. They claimed they could not stay afloat with that kind of profit margin and said that they were raising prices by at least 30%.

Most peoples bills went up 50-80% and many people I know had bills double. that was just electricity rates that went up (rate increase started in January). We have not even turned the air on yet and our bills (with gas heat) are up over 60%.

friggin bullsh@t. They will not be happy until my polks are running in a grass hut just like the rest of the world. (the polks and amps are staying, the lights may have to go though... :) )

Michael
    Mains.............Polk LSi15 (Cherry)
    Center............Polk LSiC (Crossover upgraded)
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
    Subwoofers.....SVS 25-31 CS+ and PC+ (both 20hz tune)
    Pre\Pro...........NAD T163 (Modded with LM4562 opamps)
    Amplifier.........Cinepro 3k6 (6-channel, 500wpc@4ohms)
  • TennesseeOutlaw
    TennesseeOutlaw Posts: 414
    edited April 2007
    Well, I suppose losing my license has many many downfalls; however, riding a scooter that gets 120+ miles to the gallon has several advantages as well.
  • markmarc
    markmarc Posts: 2,309
    edited April 2007
    Oil companies profits are through the roof, and that is fine, we are using more fuel than ever before plus the with gas prices up that number is going to go up.
    But as a citizen, it is high time that with these record profits it is only fair that any "special" tax breaks the industry gets should be removed. Fair is fair.
    An even bigger issue is refining capacity. in the 1980's refineries were closed left and right. This was done because of age/refining over capacity at the time. Well guess what, now we have a shortage, and even though open plants have been expanded in the past 25 years, demand has outstripped supply.
    Match that with the 20% per year increase in Chinese oil imports, 10% increase annually in India and you've got the makings of a series price increase.
    hopefully, GWB will follow through with his promise of taking a fresh look at CAFE standards. Personally, a 1 mpg a year increase over the next 20 years could easily be accomplished. The technology exists, the question is does the gov't have the guts to pull the trigger?
    Review Site_ (((AudioPursuit)))
    Founder/Publisher Affordable$$Audio 2006-13.
    Former Staff Member TONEAudio
    2 Ch. System
    Amplifiers: Parasound Halo P6 pre, Vista Audio i34, Peachtree amp500, Adcom GFP-565 GFA-535ii, 545ii, 555ii
    Digital: SimAudio HAD230 DAC, iMac 20in/Amarra,
    Speakers: Paradigm Performa F75, Magnepan .7, Totem Model 1's, ACI Emerald XL, Celestion Si Stands. Totem Dreamcatcher sub
    Analog: Technics SL-J2 w/Pickering 3000D, SimAudio LP5.3 phono pre
    Cable/Wires: Cardas, AudioArt, Shunyata Venom 3
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited April 2007
    We're considering selling the 2005 Ram 1500 Quad, and baggin' a Fit, Scion XB, or Yaris.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited April 2007
    RuSsMaN wrote: »
    We're considering selling the 2005 Ram 1500 Quad, and baggin' a Fit, Scion XB, or Yaris.

Yeah, we've been considering selling the Jeep Grand Cherokee. That sucker drinks gas! If we did that, we've have to deal with car payments. But hell, since we're spending $100/week plus on gas already, monthly car payments and lower maintenance costs for a newer vehicle may be cheaper overall if gas prices keep going up.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • Nisqually Dave
    Nisqually Dave Posts: 220
    edited April 2007
    I aggree with most of you, but who makes the most profit off gas. All you have to do is look to your local, state and federal government, and not just in taxes but in the building of refineries and permits to do so.
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited April 2007
    My '97 Taurus just clocked in 26 miles per gallon last fill up. That is mixed highway and stop and go.
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited April 2007

I would never sell a car because of the gas mileage but did buy a more efficient one when the time came. BTW, been getting around 36 city in the Scion. Its only rated at 31 city. The difference is a peculiar one, I started using 91 gas instead of 87. It seems on the Scion the timing must have been being bumped way back with the 87... The extra mileage more than pays for the difference in cost. Mine is modified as well.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • pmckeealaska
    pmckeealaska Posts: 808
    edited April 2007
    Oh yes. Poor Americans. We have the cheapest gas in the world and the minute it starts going up, we **** and wine about it. I got an idea. Stop buying gas guzzling vehicles. Higher gas prices are good for this country in the long run. It'll make it economcially neccessary to finally raise our fuel efficiency standards, which are woefully lacking. If we adopted the fuel standards that are coming on line in Europe, we would never have to import another drop of oil from all of those nuthouse countries in the middle east. Time for us to change......
    Music and Movie Rig

Samsung 40" HDTV 1080p
    LSi25 Front Speakers
    LSiC Center Channel
    LSiFX Surrounds
    Rotel RB 1080 2-Channel Amp
    NAD T763 Reciever
    Denon DVD 2900 Universal Player

Audiosource 10 Band Digital Equalizer
    Audioquest CV-8 speaker cables
    Audioquest Sub-X subwoofer cables
    Audioquest King Cobra Interconnects

Monster AVS 2000 Voltage Stabilizer
    Playstation 3 120GB Slim
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited April 2007
    You should start the charge with some new energy efficient audio gear. After all, you don't need any of it.
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited April 2007
    They pay something like 17 cents a gallon for gas in Venezuela. So we're not THE cheapest. ;)
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited April 2007
    madmax wrote: »
    I would never sell a car because of the gas mileage but did buy a more efficient one when the time came.

My thoughts exactly, but the Dodge is running us near $1000 / month in payment and gas alone. A Scion would save us at least 1/3rd of that, which is a substantial chunk for our household. The savings would pay the house utilities every month for sure.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited April 2007
    Currently hold stocks in oil a gas so what I lose in my pocket I make back in dividends so no biggy.

Here's a novel idea:

Make it feasible to open new refineries or retrofit old ones.
    Drill ANWR, eff the Caribou
    Drill off Cali and Florida Coasts
    Buy fuel efficient cars

Result:
    Cheaper gas and a big FU to the middle east.

Wait, that's not worth making the caribou walk around a rig... Nevermind.

note: I can't type worth a damn today...
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,994
    edited April 2007
    JimBRICK wrote: »
    I'm my town today were paying 110 per litre and that's NUTS

We're @ 1.06$ per litre here which if my math is close is almost 4$ per gallon.
  • petrym
    petrym Posts: 1,912
    edited April 2007
    jdhdiggs wrote: »
    Drill ANWR, eff the Caribou
    Don't you know we're waiting till the Middle East starts running dry? Then we can start charging the hoohah for it. :D
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited April 2007
    what say we all convert our cars to run on that used french fry oil? it's proved that it can be done... but then we'd have a shortage or french fry oil and Mickey D's would have to charge more for their stuff right??? :eek: :mad: :confused:
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited April 2007
    petrym wrote: »
    Don't you know we're waiting till the Middle East starts running dry? Then we can start charging the hoohah for it. :D

Yeah, but we'll still only be paying ourselves...
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited April 2007
    danger boy wrote: »
    what say we all convert our cars to run on that used french fry oil? it's proved that it can be done... but then we'd have a shortage or french fry oil and Mickey D's would have to charge more for their stuff right??? :eek: :mad: :confused:

Yeah, that whole "movement" is so ludicrous. People get all excited that someone figured out how to run their car on used fry oil... but how much of that is REALLY out there?? Not as much as we'd like to think. We could probably run two cars per TOWN.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,978
    edited April 2007
    My thoughts exactly, but the Dodge is running us near $1000 / month in payment and gas alone. A Scion would save us at least 1/3rd of that, which is a substantial chunk for our household. The savings would pay the house utilities every month for sure.
    I'm in the same boat as you....would like to save $$$ on gas, but I can't haul 10,000lbs with a scooter. Must...............keep................paying.............

Charlotte checking in at 2.07/gal
    Accross the border [SC] 1.84/gal 1.97 for Sup.

100 bills for a tank that lasts 2-4 days....OUCH!:eek:

The price of gas makes it REAL hard when the upgradititis hits. Makes the disease painful.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,161
    edited April 2007
    madmax wrote: »
    I would never sell a car because of the gas mileage but did buy a more efficient one when the time came. BTW, been getting around 36 city in the Scion. Its only rated at 31 city. The difference is a peculiar one, I started using 91 gas instead of 87. It seems on the Scion the timing must have been being bumped way back with the 87... The extra mileage more than pays for the difference in cost. Mine is modified as well.
    madmax

My GTI (VR6) is the same way. Mods = 93 octane fuel. I get a bit less gas mileage with the lower grade gas. I'm running a pretty aggressive chip as well as cold air intake, Euro throttle body and larger free flowing exhaust. Best I can muster in stop-n-go traffic in the city is 19 mpg. If I want to have some fun it's closer to 16-18 mpg. I've stopped going home every single day for lunch and stick around the office for lunch, we'll see if that helps.

As of this morning in Illinois 93 octane $3.19/gal :eek:

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • MillerLiteScott
    MillerLiteScott Posts: 2,561
    edited April 2007
    I paid $3.07 for mid grade today. My truck does not like 87 octane. I usually get @ 11 mpg. But you can't tow a trailer with a Prius:D
    I like speakers that are bigger than a small refrigerator but smaller than a big refrigerator:D
  • Holydoc
    Holydoc Posts: 1,048
    edited April 2007
    Panhandle checking in today at $3.19/gallon for 93 Octane. :(
    Holydoc (Home Theatre Lover)
    Outlaw -770 (7x200watt) Amplifier
    PolkAudio - RTi12 (Left and Right)
    PolkAudio - CSi5 (Center)
    PolkAudio - FXi3 (Back and Surround)
    SVS - PB-12/Plus (Subwoofer)
    Bluejean Cables - Interconnects
    Logitech Harmony 880 - Remote
  • kn505
    kn505 Posts: 380
    edited April 2007
    I'm finding out just how expensive a Hummer really is.:

You must got the wrong one. My 2 wheels Hummer use zero gas.
  • dylan
    dylan Posts: 453
    edited April 2007
    Is anyone using credit cards that have pay-backs for using on gas? The best (?) I found was 5% back for gas purchases. I commute about 85 miles a day, and get about 26 mpg. Painful. Made me think there has to be a way to take advantage of credit card company greed, while it being practial to administer another card and credit implications.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited April 2007

You should get an Accord.

It takes a REAL man to sell his Ram and buy an Accord. You really have to be secure with your sexuality.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D