Imus Fired

Comments

• DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,765
    edited April 2007
    F1nut wrote: »
    What I see is someone who does a lot of good in a worldclass way by raising tons of money for good causes vs 2 worldclass bigots who do their very best to TAKE a lot of money for themselves!!!

Everything is open to personal interpretation and personal opinion.

Adolph Hitler for his did a lot of good for Germany. Although he was not a native born German citizen, he grew to love his adopted homeland and lead them from being a small, economically stuggling European nation to being a world class superpower that came within striking distance of world domination.

I don't know Imus personally, but people of different races, ethnicities, and socio-economic status are saying that he is basically a good guy. Whether he is a nice person or not is irrelevant. He used his "right" to free speech to make some comments that his employer found objectionable. His employer then excercised its "right" to dismiss him. It happens.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited April 2007
    He used his "right" to free speech to make some comments that his employer found objectionable. His employer then excercised its "right" to dismiss him. It happens.

All of this is true DK. If I owned a company right now and someone said something like that I would have fired said person on the spot. . . the problem as I see it is that Les caved in to pressure from a bogus source. Les and Co, have let far worse go from both Imus and Howard Stern. They are radio shows ment to shock and disrespect the norm and to many that is entertainment, entertainment that Les Moonvez (sp) and CBS and Co made millions upon millions of dollars supporting.

This is a disgrace exacerbated by two hypocritical disgraces and poor excuses of human beings i.e. Sharpton and Jackson. I never liked Imus but I always respected the work he did with children. . .what can be said of those two baffoons that were calling for Imus' pound of blood?
  • cmy330go
    cmy330go Posts: 2,341
    edited April 2007
    I certainly don't agree with all the Jackson/Sharpton garbage, but Imus got what he deserved. As was said before....most employers would take action against any employee that made that type of a remark.

I personally think the station handled it the way most employers would. They started by dealing out what they felt was a reasonable punishment at the time. As things progressed it became obvious that the offense was further reaching than initially thought, which called for a stronger punishment.

In regards to the core of the situation I think DarqueKnight said it best in his post (#22). It's just not acceptable for a white guy to make comments like that. I understand that some view it as a double standard, but that's just the way it works. We ALL do it in one way or another. We just all need to respect the boundaries.
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,
  • 66chevyIISS
    66chevyIISS Posts: 857
    edited April 2007
    Sharpten also only cares that he said the word NAPPY. He doesn't care that he called them HOES. If Imus just said they were a bunch of hoes, sharpton and "The Rev" wouldn't give a rats ****.

Those guys are a joke.
    My Home Theater (WIP):
    Panasonic AE900 Projector - 126" screen, XBOX 360, Pioneer BDP-320 Bluray
    Receiver: Denon AVR-1905
    Fronts: RTi6's, Center: CSi5, Surrounds: RTi4, Rears: Denon
    Dual Subs: PSW202, and behind the couch Denon 8"

My showcase link:
    Media Room pics
  • DarqueKnight
    edited April 2007
    This is a disgrace exacerbated by two hypocritical disgraces and poor excuses of human beings i.e. Sharpton and Jackson. I never liked Imus but I always respected the work he did with children. . .what can be said of those two baffoons that were calling for Imus' pound of blood?

They are both hustlers plain and simple. Plus, they obviously provide some significant entertainment and ratings value to media organizations, otherwise they would not be given such seemingly unrestricted access to the airwaves.
  • hearingimpared
    edited April 2007
    They are both hustlers plain and simple. Plus, they obviously provide some significant entertainment and ratings value to media organizations, otherwise they would not be given such seemingly unrestricted access to the airwaves.

You hit the nail directly on the head my friend!!! The problem is who is watching them? I mean they really don't care what any respectable entity or person thinks of them.
  • cmy330go
    edited April 2007
    Sharpten also only cares that he said the word NAPPY. He doesn't care that he called them HOES. If Imus just said they were a bunch of hoes, sharpton and "The Rev" wouldn't give a rats ****.........

That's somewhat understandable. "HOES" really isn't considered racial, it's definitely derogatory, but not racial. "NAPPY HEADED" however is.

Don't get me wrong.....I'm in NO WAY defending those two pieces of trash. I have no doubt that they are only in this for their own interests.
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,
  • hearingimpared
    edited April 2007
    cmy330go wrote: »
    That's somewhat understandable. "HOES" really isn't considered racial, it's definitely derogatory, but not racial. "NAPPY HEADED" however is.

Don't get me wrong.....I'm in NO WAY defending those two pieces of trash. I have no doubt that they are only in this for their own interests.

WTF does nappy headed mean that it is looked on as such a derogatory remark????
  • cmy330go
    edited April 2007
    WTF does nappy headed mean that it is looked on as such a derogatory remark????

It's a reference to black people's curly hair.
    HT

2 CH
  • 66chevyIISS
    edited April 2007
    cmy330go, that's my point. Those two are only looking out for there own interest. Not for there "people".

This is the Urban Dictionary definition:
    nappy: one of African desent who has tightly coiled unkept hair; one with locks of hair that is tightly curled that is unwashed and uncombed
    My Home Theater (WIP):

My showcase link:
    Media Room pics
  • hearingimpared
    edited April 2007
    cmy330go, that's my point. Those two are only looking out for there own interest. Not for there "people".

This is the Urban Dictionary definition:
    nappy: one of African desent who has tightly coiled unkept hair; one with locks of hair that is tightly curled that is unwashed and uncombed

Well aside from the unwashed and African decent part, my hair fits that bill!!! The top is tightly curled and is usually uncombed or at least looks that way.
  • Polk65
    Polk65 Posts: 1,405
    edited April 2007
    wrote:
    Imus was the only one who could have been fired. the words came out of HIS mouth, not some producer behind the scenes.

Imus was speaking with producer Bernard McGuirk when the NCAA title game between Rutgers and Tennessee came up.

“That’s some rough girls from Rutgers,” Imus said. “Man, they got tattoos ...”

“Some hardcore ***” said McGuirk.

“That’s some ***** headed *** there, I’m going to tell you that,” Imus said.

source -- MSNBC
    transcript -- http://mediamatters.org/items/200704040011

wrote:
    we're talking millions of dollars in advertising dollars... i don't think he would have been fired if the advertisers wouldn't have pulled out. TV/Radio stations live and breath by advertising dollars. if they are not there.. neither are the programs/radio shows.

David Gregory: "What was the tipping point though Steve because people will look at what's happened in the past day General Motors, Glaxo-Smith-Kline, AmericanExpress, Ditech.com, Proctor & Gamble companies, Staples pulling their advertising from MSNBC and the obvious question that's going to come up is that we are feeling the heat and we're reacting to dollars."

Steve Capus: "I understand that people are going to view it that way and I only say that it is not why this decision was made. The decision was made after listening to the people who work for NBC news who have placed a trust and respect the trust that America has given us. I ask you what price do you put on your reputation and the reputation of this news division means more to me than advertising dollars. Because if you lose your reputation you lose everything. And so yesterday I found out after the fact -- that some of the advertisers had started to pull their money away -- those types of reports don't land on my desk immediately and honestly that is not what is behind this.This is about trust, it's about reputation, it's about doing what's right."

source -- Steve Capus the president of NBC news appeared in a 5 minute interview with David Gregory on Wednesday April 11th at 7PM EST on MSNBC
    wrote:
    I can't speak for Sharpton or Jackson. I don't know enough about their background to say one way or another..

Here's the ones often in the news:

Al Sharpton "boycott" "jews" "interlopers" "Tawana Brawley"

Jesse Jackson "boycott" "jews" "hymietown" "budweiser" "shakedown"

wrote:
    Chris Rock is a comedian.. Don Imus is not. As a comedian you can get away with more ****.

Imus has been a political satirist for years and is an equal opportunity offender. He's joked about everyone over the years including his employers.
    wrote:
    firing Imus doens't hurt him one bit.. like someone said.. he'll end up on satellite radio.

I hope so for the sake of the Imus Ranch for kids and Imus Ranch Foods.
    wrote:
    He should also have been fined by the FCC. Big bucks.

I'm not sure he broke FCC rules. It's not been mentioned in the news?

My 2 cents:
    I've listened to Imus a few times over the years and he was always picking on someone (including his employers). What he said was wrong and hurtful.

Firing him was a solution but it will be debated for years to come if it was the correct decision. I wonder what the future holds for "live" radio.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited April 2007
    Here is my take. Had MSNBC and CBS shitcanned Imus the day or day after....ok. They wait a few days, then decide to suspend them. Then the Shakedown Bros threaten to protest etc and THEN they decide to fire Imus?

BS. They caved to Sharpton/Jackson. Earlier today the MSN website was running a poll. When I voted, out of 6000 votes, 75% of the respondants didn't feel that firing Imus was justified. So, the great outrage? I don't see it except from a couple of crooks.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • cmy330go
    edited April 2007
    Well aside from the unwashed and African decent part, my hair fits that bill!!! The top is tightly curled and is usually uncombed or at least looks that way.

Maybe you should change your User Name to NappyHeaded. :D
    HT

2 CH
  • hearingimpared
    edited April 2007
    TroyD wrote: »
    So, the great outrage? I don't see it except from a couple of crooks.

BDT

AMEN and those crooks have the unmitigated gall to call themselves "Reverend.":mad:
  • hearingimpared
    edited April 2007
    cmy330go wrote: »
    Maybe you should change your User Name to NappyHeaded. :D

No way, Sharpton and Jackson would insist that Polk ban me from the forum!!!:D
  • cmy330go
    edited April 2007
    No way, Sharpton and Jackson would insist that Polk ban me from the forum!!!:D

We'd probably both get the boot since I suggested it.:rolleyes:
    HT

2 CH
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited April 2007
    ok. lets get this discussion back on track people!!!!!!!!!

Jackson and Sharpton are not in the hot seat this time.. it's Imus. Did things go terribly wrong and he's a pure sweet innocent talk show host.. and he's got the right to free speech? No matter if it offends someone? Isn't that what free speech is about?

Lets try and keep the discussion about Imus and the fallout.. not Jackson and Sharpton, no matter what you think of them.. they are not the ones that caused this public outcry to have Imus fired.

I still think the FCC should fine Imus.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • 66chevyIISS
    edited April 2007
    danger boy wrote: »

Lets try and keep the discussion about Imus and the fallout.. not Jackson and Sharpton, no matter what you think of them.. they are not the ones that caused this public outcry to have Imus fired.

seriously? :confused:
    My Home Theater (WIP):

My showcase link:
    Media Room pics
  • danger boy
    edited April 2007
    Imus dug his own grave.
  • danger boy
    edited April 2007
    Imus, 66, had a long history of inflammatory remarks. But something struck a raw nerve when he targeted the Rutgers team - which includes a class valedictorian, a future lawyer and a musical prodigy - after they lost in the NCAA championship game.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited April 2007
    That's BS Al, this isn't happening in a vacuum. Both Sharpton and Jackson have lobbied MSNBC and CBS in person for that very reason.

The comment was made, what, a WEEK AGO? The only reason that this 'story' still has any traction is because Sharpton/Jackson won't shut up about it once they got ahold of it. Period. Hell the Rutgers team weren't screaming for blood.

Yeah, what he said was stupid. He shouldn't have said it. How much other **** is said over the airwaves that is offensive? FCC fines? He didn't break any FCC rules.

Yes, his employers have every right to can him, however, it's just as wrong, IMO, for CBS and NBC to run around with thier fingers in the air judging the wind to see what action to take.

Fallout? What fallout? For chrissakes someobody says something stupid. BIG FRIGGIN' deal. BOOO freakin' HOOOO. Now, if we want to sanitize media, fine, lets do just that, however, in THAT context, Imus is MILD.

Any way you slice it, it's a crock of ****.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,428
    edited April 2007
    Why is what Imus said so wrong??? I don't get that at all. It's words, just words. Stop being offended by every little thing. JHC, it's gotten to the point that if one farts in the wrong direction someone gets offended. Grow the eff up America!!!

I've heard countless "racial" remarks made by black entertainers directed at white people, so what? I could care less, it's words, just words. If you don't like what you hear, don't listen.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    edited April 2007
    Everything is open to personal interpretation and personal opinion.

Adolph Hitler for his did a lot of good for Germany. Although he was not a native born German citizen, he grew to love his adopted homeland and lead them from being a small, economically stuggling European nation to being a world class superpower that came within striking distance of world domination.

Very true, but with all due respect, that's quite a stretch as it went far beyond words and good deeds.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• danger boy
    edited April 2007
    Imus's comments did not offend me..

but think of it this way.. stay with me..

say.. your daughter is on a successful girl sports team, you, the school and alum all support them.. they make it to the playoff's, but don't win. Ok. they got talent, right?

Now you support your daughter still.. she gave it her all. Then you have some bafoon shock jock calling your daughter and the whole team "Nappy Headed Ho's". wouldn't you be just a little bit upset he called your daughter a ho?

Like I said.. I never listen(ed) to Imus. I don't care what he said.. it doesn't pertain to me.. all I'm saying... is who is holding people like him (Imus) accoutable for what they say on air? to millions of listeners/viewers?
  • F1nut
    edited April 2007
    Why should he be accountable, we have the freedom of speech and all that stuff the founding fathers put in writing.

Frankly, I couldn't care what some shock jock said about me or any member of my family. It's words, just words. Hell, as many names as I've been called in my life, including nappy head, I quess I should be scared for life....yeah right.

President of Club Polk

• DarqueKnight
    edited April 2007
    To each his opinion...but I find it icredible that anyone would think that Sharpton and Jackson have enough influence with a major media company to have one of their star employees fired. I also find it incredible that that anyone would think that Sharpton and Jackson have enough clout, influence, mojo, swag...whatever you want to call it...to "keep this story going" especially since neither of them are particularly known for their virtue and integrity. Furthermore, to my knowledge, neither Sharpton nor Jackson own or own a controlling interest in any electronic or print media companies. To be perfectly frank, I really have no idea of how those two "gentlmen" actually earn a living.

It is the major media companies that are keeping this story "going"...and they are going to "keep it going" and milk it for as long as they can because it attracts attention which = ratings, which = $$$$.

Imus didn't insult all black people, he insulted the black members of a collegiate basketball team. The way I see it, the matter is really between Imus, his employer, and the ladies he insulted. No one else, other than the people who employ him, has a "right" to call for Imus' dismissal.

However, I realize that media whores, like all good and diligent whores everywhere, are attracted to an opportunity to make money. When I say media whores, I don't just mean Sharpton, Jackson and others of their ilk, I also include CNN, CBS, NBC, Fox, et. al. and ad nauseum who love to fan the flames of manufactured controversy for a few dollars more.

There are over 30 million black people in this country. A fair number of them are people of level headed articulation, integrity, honesty, and responsibility. Doesn't it strike you as odd that whenever an incident like this happens the media actively seeks out the opinion of the same two buffoons?

Such good theater.
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,668
    edited April 2007
    The key word that got Imus fired was "nappy".

Blacks find it offensive at the same level they would find the word "pickaninnies" applied to their kids.

I've listened to Imus, and generally find/found him to be a lunkhead. Others don't, and more power to them.

When Imus goes to Sirrus or Xm, I hope he does well although, as I've mentioned, I think he's kind of a lunkhead.

Why do I wish him well ? Because freedom of speech is being given away to charlatans like Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson. Opportunists in the most extreme negative way.
    I want to hear Imus's spiel, and Howard Stern, and Bill O'reiley (sp?), and Rush Limbaugh, and anybody else who has something to say, no matter how intelligent or how stupid.

So ..... good luck to Imus.

And should the FCC fine Imus ? **** no. :)
    Sal Palooza
  • ESavinon
    ESavinon Posts: 3,066
    edited April 2007
    Sticks and stones will break my bones but words will never hurt me.
    I remember being taught that in kindergarden.
    These words have served me well. Too bad this country has caved in to political correctness and in the process lost it's ability to accept free speech.
    SRT For Life; SDA Forever!

The SRT SEISMIC System:
    Four main satellite speakers, six powered subs, two dedicated for LFE channel, two center speakers for over/under screen placement and three Control Centers. Amaze your friends, terrorize your neighbors, seize the audio bragging rights for your state. Go ahead, buy it; you only go around once.
  • DarqueKnight
    edited April 2007
    Free speech does not equal abusive, disrespectful speech. The framers of the constitution wanted people to be able to respectfully speak their minds in public, and to be able to question authority without fear of brutal reprisal. Free speech is not a license to say anything to anyone in any manner.

If alleged and convicted serial killers, rapists, and child molesters are given the courtesy of respectful discourse in public courtrooms, should not the same courtesy be extended to every citizen? It is not a matter of political correctness. It is a matter of common courtesy and respect.
This discussion has been closed.