Imus Fired

pmckeealaska
pmckeealaska Posts: 808
edited April 2007 in The Clubhouse
Just been announced. CBS has fired Imus.....

Granted I think too much has been made over this, but i'm not sad to see him go. I'm tired of his kind of "humor". This isnt the 50's anymore. Time to grow up.
Music and Movie Rig

Samsung 40" HDTV 1080p
LSi25 Front Speakers
LSiC Center Channel
LSiFX Surrounds
Rotel RB 1080 2-Channel Amp
NAD T763 Reciever
Denon DVD 2900 Universal Player

Audiosource 10 Band Digital Equalizer
Audioquest CV-8 speaker cables
Audioquest Sub-X subwoofer cables
Audioquest King Cobra Interconnects

Monster AVS 2000 Voltage Stabilizer
Playstation 3 120GB Slim
Post edited by pmckeealaska on

Comments

• TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited April 2007
    What a pantload.

If they fire Katie Couric for plagarism, I'll be partially satisfied.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited April 2007
    Well, when you have several major advertizers pulling their suppost.. something has to go.. and Imus was the only one who could have been fired. the words came out of HIS mouth, not some producer behind the scenes.

Personally, i'm glad he got fired. Bigot that he is.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • TroyD
    edited April 2007
    If Imus is a bigot, than what shall we call Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson?

It's a load of crap, Al. If his ratings don't support him, fine. If the sponsors all drop, ok. However, if CBS/MSNBC were going to can him, they should have done it immediately. No, this is a SHAM. Circle the wagons around Dan Rather and Katie Couric (who actually could be legally culpable as opposed to guilty of bade taste) and so forth but leave Imus (who is probably the most charitable personality short of Oprah in media) twisting in the wind to see which way the wind is blowing.

Eff CBS, Eff MSNBC, Eff Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson. Those two rat **** have NO business preaching morality to anybody.

BDT
  • TroyD
    edited April 2007
    I also agree that anyone that listens and enjoys rap forfeits any right to be offended by Imus's remark.

BDT
  • danger boy
    edited April 2007
    we're talking millions of dollars in advertising dollars... i don't think he would have been fired if the advertisers wouldn't have pulled out. TV/Radio stations live and breath by advertising dollars. if they are not there.. neither are the programs/radio shows.

I can't speak for Sharpton or Jackson. I don't know enough about their background to say one way or another.. so I don't have an opinion on either one of them. But had the tables been turned around.. and either Jackson or Sharpton has done something similar offensive, then I would still support their being fired.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited April 2007
    He is a so called shock jock that suceeded in shocking people in to offense & it cost him his job.

I would personally love someone/anyone to pick up Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson & Louis Farakan & fly them to Iraq & drop them right over a landmind!

These attention seeking, hate mongering aholes are of no use in anyone's society!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • m00npie
    m00npie Posts: 697
    edited April 2007
    danger boy wrote: »
    Personally, i'm glad he got fired. Bigot that he is.

I can’t even formulate a response to this other than a feeling of nausea. So who is not a Bigot in your opinion, black people? Is it okay for some of them to degrade themselves, woman and society? Are they bigots?

What about comedians… Are they all bigots? How about Chris Rock, he loves the term Cracka Lackin… Is he a bigot? Should he get fired?

Help me understand how you see no wrong in these two companies firing him.
  • m00npie
    m00npie Posts: 697
    edited April 2007
    I don't know enough about their background to say one way or another.. so I don't have an opinion on either one of them. But had the tables been turned around.. and either Jackson or Sharpton has done something similar offensive, then I would still support their being fired.

How about this..

"Charge my head, not my heart” - Jesse Jackson

Below is a quote from Tom Delay (Whether you like him or not, he brings an interesting point of the double standard)

"And let's not forget about the Dynamic Duo calling for Imus' resignation. They have their own past offenses, like the anti-Semitic slur used by the Rev. Jesse Jackson, when he referred to New York City as “Hymietown” in a conversation with reporters. His apology? Asking that we charge his head, not his heart. And the most eloquent Rev. Al Sharpton, who was convicted (read: FOUND GUILTY) of libel when he very publicly accused a white assistant district attorney of raping a young black girl, which never happened. They don't apologize…they run for president of the United States."
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,277
    edited April 2007
    CBS probably did him a favor. Give it time and he'll have an XM satellite radio deal coming his way. Then he can tell them all to F*** off on the air!

Imus' supporters are growing daily over this ****! Sharpton and Jackson...they continuously sink lower and lower.

SB
    No excuses!
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited April 2007
    I can't believe they fired that jerk.

I don't like Don Imus, never have but this is absolutely rediculous. I want to find out who the sponsors of NBC/CBS are and let them (NBC/CBS and the sponsors) know that me and my family will no longer patronize them or their products.

I hope some organizations with a loud voice puts together a protest where the sponsors and NBC are boycotted!!!

I hate what that **** Imus said, but I will defend with my life if I have to his right to say it!!!
  • hearingimpared
    edited April 2007
    cfrizz wrote: »
    He is a so called shock jock that suceeded in shocking people in to offense & it cost him his job.

I would personally love someone/anyone to pick up Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson & Louis Farakan & fly them to Iraq & drop them right over a landmind!

These attention seeking, hate mongering aholes are of no use in anyone's society!

Well my friend, NBC and its sponsors just gave those two baffooonnns all the power in the world to keep driving that wedge between black and black as well as black and white America!
  • hearingimpared
    edited April 2007
    we're talking millions of dollars in advertising dollars... i don't think he would have been fired if the advertisers wouldn't have pulled out. TV/Radio stations live and breath by advertising dollars. if they are not there.. neither are the programs/radio shows.

I can't speak for Sharpton or Jackson. I don't know enough about their background to say one way or another.. so I don't have an opinion on either one of them. But had the tables been turned around.. and either Jackson or Sharpton has done something similar offensive, then I would still support their being fired.

Not true Al, Jackson has said many nasty things about Jews and never did a mia culpa!!!!

As I said being Left means never having to say I'm sorry.
  • hearingimpared
    edited April 2007
    m00npie wrote: »
    How about this..

"Charge my head, not my heart” - Jesse Jackson

Okay behead the jerk the way Nick Berg was beheaded. Let him keep his heart!!!
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited April 2007
    http://www.kansascity.com/159/story/66339.html

I found that to be a good read. Imus gets fired, and people pay for the privelege of listening to worse stuff all the time.
  • danger boy
    edited April 2007
    m00npie wrote: »
    I can’t even formulate a response to this other than a feeling of nausea. So who is not a Bigot in your opinion, black people? Is it okay for some of them to degrade themselves, woman and society? Are they bigots?

What about comedians… Are they all bigots? How about Chris Rock, he loves the term Cracka Lackin… Is he a bigot? Should he get fired?

Help me understand how you see no wrong in these two companies firing him.

Chris Rock is a comedian.. Don Imus is not. As a comedian you can get away with more ****.
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    edited April 2007
    Who even listens to the radio anymore?

This is a home theater forum, bring on the SACD and 1080p.
  • danger boy
    edited April 2007
    firing Imus doens't hurt him one bit.. like someone said.. he'll end up on satellite radio.

He should also have been fined by the FCC. Big bucks.
  • danger boy
    edited April 2007
    I support CBS's decision to fire Imus.
  • tecmo04
    tecmo04 Posts: 421
    edited April 2007
    i dont agree with what Imus said but he should be able to say what ever he wants. Theres that little thing called freedom of speech... The beauty of tv and radio is if you dont like it, change the channel. he shouldnt have been fired. This reminds me of one of my coworkers, he believe the person who yells loudest in a meeting obviously is the smartest. Sharpton or Jackson make a big fuss and people listen. Its like the Duke lacrose team...
  • hearingimpared
    edited April 2007
    I support CBS's decision to fire Imus.

Al, I would have agreed with you if they fired him when it first occured but they knew that this is what Imus does and they've always let him go and just pay any FCC fines that came his way. Just like with Stern. The problem here is that they caved because of the media blitz not the pricinpal no matter what they say now.

What he said was deplorable but the **** storm that big Al and Jackson brought on was worse. They actually divide citizens, not bring us together.
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,765
    edited April 2007
    TroyD wrote: »
    I also agree that anyone that listens and enjoys rap forfeits any right to be offended by Imus's remark.
    BDT

I disagree because I see a big difference between Snoop Dogg dissing "crack hoes", prostitutes, and gold-digging **** and Imus dissing a team of women college athletes who have excelled in both academics and athletics.

Maybe there are some exceptions, and I am by no means an expert on the rap genre, but the rap songs I have heard where women are spoken of disrespectfully were about women who live and conduct themselves disrespectfully. I have never heard a rapper verbally tear down honest female professionals, achievement oriented female scholars, women who are good mothers, their sisters, aunts, grandmothers, etc.

I understand that the context and environment in which something is spoken can also have vastly different meanings. A racial/ethnic slur spoken by a member of a racial/ethnic group to another member of the same group in most cases will not have the same negative impact as the same slur spoken by a person outside that racial/ethnic group.

Likewise, two close friends may repeatedly call each other "**** head" as part of their conversation. A total stranger walking up to the pair and jokingly greeting them by saying "hello **** head's" would likely receive an impolite response. Such a greeting from a total stranger, although spoken in jest, might also precipitate a physical altercation.

If the Rutgers women's basketball team were watching videos of their past games at a private location and one of the black players remarked "You know what? Y'all look like some nappy headed hoes!", it probably would have elicited laughter. The same comment coming from an old white man through a far-reaching public media outlet, obviously, takes on a different meaning and provokes a different reaction.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • TroyD
    edited April 2007
    Chris Rock is a comedian.. Don Imus is not. As a comedian you can get away with more ****.

Imus is an entertainer, not a journalist. So, what's the difference? Dave Chappelle says this **** on public TV and it's funny.

Now, obviously the argument goes that they are black. Ok, my retort is you can't have it both ways. It's either appropriate or it's not. End of story. You can't smirk at it one day and be offended the next.

Also, Al, if you aren't familiar with Al Sharpton, google Freddy's Fashion Mart and Tawana Brawley. Jesse Jackson, Hymietown and his illegitimate child. These two are hypocritical jackasses.

DK, to a certain extent you are right. The thing is, if that sort of speech is inappropriate in a public context (which I don't have an issue with)...it has to be accross the board.

BDT
  • TroyD
    edited April 2007
    Lastly, let me say that I agree that the level of public discourse NEEDS to be elevated. I'm embarassed by the crap that is broadcast. However, until people vote with thier feet...it's not going to work.

I disagree with people like Sharpton and Jackson shaking people down. Sharpton said it wasn't about getting Imus. Okay, where is your condemnation of people like Dave Chappell and so forth?

Nope, until we as a society decide that we've had enough....this is nothing more than making one guy who doesn't know when to shut his mouth a fall guy.

BDT
  • opus
    opus Posts: 1,252
    edited April 2007
    I love Imus.

might finally need to get a satellite radio
    The Flea rig
    Hitachi 50VG825 LCD
    Rotel RSP 1066 (pre) :)-flea market
    B&K St-202 (mains)-flea market
    Carver M 200t (x2) (center and surrounds)-flea market
    Blu-Ray..PS3 (dvd player)
    Polk RTA-11t-flea market
    LsiC, Fxi30's

Dual SVS PC-Utra's (1 port blocked) thanks MikeC78
    Behringer Feedback Destroyer
    -flea market
    AudioAlchemy DDE v1.0 DAC-flea market
    Cambridge Audio Azur 640 CDP-flea market
    Signal Cable and Kimber Kable
  • Deadof_knight
    Deadof_knight Posts: 980
    edited April 2007
    He has been on the air because of what his opinion has been for years we not me but Ive listened too him and had alaugh or too but it is one mans opinion ....thats it he was fired because of the he said its about a bunch of college girls if it were Dennis Rodman he said it about then nothing I mean nothing would have been done ........

Oh well freedom of speech has its consiquences
    :cool: " He who dies with the most equipment wins Right ? "

Denon 3300 Adcom 535 BBe w/sub out 1 pr 4.6s 2 pr of 4 jrs Recent additions Samsung Lns-4095D LCD, Samsung hd-960 DVD, Monster HT-5000 Power center
    ,HPSA-1000 18" sealed DiY home sub.:D
    Black Laquer 1.2tl's w/ upgraded x-overs and Tweets BI-Amped with 2 Carver tfm-35's Knukonceptz 10ga cables
  • markmarc
    markmarc Posts: 2,309
    edited April 2007
    The real losers in all of this are the numerous charities that Imus has promoted and supported. His mouth is matched by his heart in caring, especially for kids. Yearly, thru his radio program he raises several million dollars.

The question is, how long will he lay low before he reappears on satellite or Internet radio.
    Review Site_ (((AudioPursuit)))
    Founder/Publisher Affordable$$Audio 2006-13.
    Former Staff Member TONEAudio
    2 Ch. System
    Amplifiers: Parasound Halo P6 pre, Vista Audio i34, Peachtree amp500, Adcom GFP-565 GFA-535ii, 545ii, 555ii
    Digital: SimAudio HAD230 DAC, iMac 20in/Amarra,
    Speakers: Paradigm Performa F75, Magnepan .7, Totem Model 1's, ACI Emerald XL, Celestion Si Stands. Totem Dreamcatcher sub
    Analog: Technics SL-J2 w/Pickering 3000D, SimAudio LP5.3 phono pre
    Cable/Wires: Cardas, AudioArt, Shunyata Venom 3
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,600
    edited April 2007
    Freedom of speech is a right the government can't take away. But your employer sure can.
    If I used that language at my workplace, they would can me for sure.
    Imus never was funny, or entertaining. Al Sharpton is, at best, a distraction
    from real issues. We would be better off if all of them would go away.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,861
    edited April 2007
    Imus is a worldclass a**hole, but Al and Jesse should be stripped of the Rev. in their titles since there was no forgiveness in their approach/agenda as the ringleaders of this lynchmob.

Strictly political and self promoting.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,428
    edited April 2007
    So, just because Imus makes a comment that offends some people, he's a worldclass ****? I don't see it that way. What I see is someone who does a lot of good in a worldclass way by raising tons of money for good causes vs 2 worldclass bigots who do their very best to TAKE a lot of money for themselves!!! Without the hand outs of taxpayer money they receive, they wouldn't have squat, nor be squat.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• MSALLA
    MSALLA Posts: 1,602
    edited April 2007
    TroyD wrote: »

BDT

How come Sharpten isn't going after them?:rolleyes:
    It was wrong what Imus said and I'm not a fan but he's getting the shaft.

Sharpten stated in an interview the Imus is not the same as rappers in what he said because he works for the radio station not selfemployed like rappers so there is no double standerd.
    He can't even come up with decent B/S.
    Michael

Samsung 50" HD DLP
    Yamaha RX-V2500
    (2) Outlaw 200
    Adcom GFA 555
    Sony BDP300
    Denon 2900 DVD
    Lsi9's mains
    Lsi7's rear
    Lsic center
    12.1 SVS driver in 4.53 cuft. tube