Playoff Time!

tommyboy
tommyboy Posts: 1,414
edited June 2007 in The Clubhouse
Before I get started, I just have a quick request. I know there are quite a few members on the forum who hate hockey. Please, keep your crazy comments to yourself. You won't see me get on a NBA thread and say how much it sucks(I would love to do it, but I unfortunetly try to have respect for other members:) ). Thanks

Anyways, back to the topic at hand. The Stanley Cup playoffs start tomorrow. And after 6 years of waiting, my beloved Penguins are finally in the playoffs. I still have nightmares of the NJ Devils destroying us back in the 2001 conference finals(Man do I have a HATRED for the NJD). Hopefully we pens fans get some great memories to replace them this year. I, however, am not that optimistic...

So my question to you guys is, who are the two teams that will come out of the eastern and western conference. Now there are teams you are rooting for and teams you think will win(yes, there is a difference;) ).Well, my pick out of the east is.... well... the Ottawa senators. As much as I love the Pens, there are two major issues with them. Most of the team has no experience in the playoffs, and their defense is below average at best. Also, Ottawa is one of the hottest teams in the league. And like many said on the NCAA Football thread concerning playoffs, sometimes its the hottest team that wins, not the best.

Out of the powerhouse west, I actually pick the Minnesota Wild to take it all the way and be the surprise of the NHL playoffs. Not only do their fans deserve it, but they have the lowest GA, and one of the best home record to boot. I know, crazy, but don't forget the Oilers....

So lets hear it, who is your two teams you pick in the finals and your cup champion?

and Lets go pens!
AVR: H/K AVR240
Fronts: Monitor 50s
Center: CSI3
surrounds: R15s
Sub:Velodyne DPS10
Dvd/Cd: Samsung HD upconverter (for now)
TV: 50" Sammy Plasma
game hardware: 360 and gcn.
Gamertag: kovster27
Post edited by tommyboy on

Comments

• jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited April 2007
    I'll be rooting for the Pens as my adopted team, so long as they don't play the Avs (which won't be happening ANY time soon in the playoffs). Crosby rocks!

As for who goes to the finals? Hmm, let me get back to you on that.... I haven't been able to watch enough this year to get any kind of good feel for how teams actually play and the new free agency rules suck.

Ok, back. I'll go with Jersey and the Canucks with Vancouver winning.
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,994
    edited April 2007
    tommyboy wrote: »
    Well, my pick out of the east is.... well... the Ottawa senators. QUOTE]

Enough Said !!
  • krabby5
    krabby5 Posts: 923
    edited April 2007
    Go Wild!!

yeah..Backstrom has been solid in nets since Fernandez went down..

I wish they could have caught the Canucks for the division so they could have finished 3rd instead of 7th...oh well..tough conference

The Wild are definately playing great hockey since January..
    Pioneer Elite VSX-53, Polk RT800i fronts, Polk CS400i center, FX500i surround, Velodyne sub
  • Sami
    Sami Posts: 4,634
    edited April 2007
    I think the other Finn will take care of Backstrom in the first round, so I'll pick the Ducks from West.
  • tommyboy
    edited April 2007
    Willow wrote: »

Enough Said !!

Well, They have a good chance of winning it all. It would be nice to see Canada take the cup for the first team since I believe 93(well, if you want to count 96 when Colorado "stole" the cup from quebec, that must have really sucked). But hopefully the pens get rid of their playoff jitters early and sweep Ottawa in four.:) Willow, you going to any playoff games?
  • 66chevyIISS
    66chevyIISS Posts: 857
    edited April 2007
    Go Canucks!
    My Home Theater (WIP):
    Panasonic AE900 Projector - 126" screen, XBOX 360, Pioneer BDP-320 Bluray
    Receiver: Denon AVR-1905
    Fronts: RTi6's, Center: CSi5, Surrounds: RTi4, Rears: Denon
    Dual Subs: PSW202, and behind the couch Denon 8"

My showcase link:
    Media Room pics
  • krabby5
    edited April 2007
    Sami wrote: »
    I think the other Finn will take care of Backstrom in the first round, so I'll pick the Ducks from West.

Should be a good series...they split for 2 games a piece during regular season and all 4 games were decided by one goal..
    Pioneer Elite VSX-53, Polk RT800i fronts, Polk CS400i center, FX500i surround, Velodyne sub
  • Willow
    edited April 2007
    Willow, you going to any playoff games?

Can't go tonight as we are goign to see some houses. I think there are some tickets left for Sat afternoon. I may just see what I can get !
  • tommyboy
    edited April 2007
    Can't go tonight as we are goign to see some houses. I think there are some tickets left for Sat afternoon. I may just see what I can get !

Look for houses:eek: . Willow, you can't be canadien;) .

GO pens!
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited April 2007
    I think he meant... "look for hosers":D
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • tommyboy
    edited April 2007
    I don't know whats going on with the other games but the pens suck right now. two 5 on 3s:eek: ,16-4 shots:eek: :eek: they should be happy being down by only two. these are not the pens I'm used to seeing.
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited April 2007
    Hey, real fans DO NOT desert their team. As much as I like Crosby, I think Ottawa will win that series. This is the best time of the year - THE PLAYOFFS. I just wish that there were more Canadian teams in the playoffs this year.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited April 2007
    janmike wrote: »
    I just wish that there were more Canadian teams in the playoffs this year.

Me two or atleast one of them, those nasty Leafs eliminated my Canadiens.:mad: But it was fun being an Islander fan for a day.:D
    I will be hoping for the Pens because I like Crosby ,Roberts ,Malkin and ofcoarse Jordan Staal who played jr here last year but I doubt they have enough to beat the Sens.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Sami
    Sami Posts: 4,634
    edited April 2007
    6-1... Not a fan of the Sens but it has been made out like these Penguins are the Greztky & Kurri era early Oilers... :)

Is NHLHD on for free just for the start of playoffs or to anyone with Versus?
  • Willow
    edited April 2007
    Look for houses:eek: . Willow, you can't be canadien;) .

GO pens!

No house...no watching anything cept the cardboard walls !

We are going to game 5 (should there be one)
  • janmike
    edited April 2007
    Sami wrote: »
    6-1... Not a fan of the Sens but it has been made out like these Penguins are the Greztky & Kurri era early Oilers... :)

Is NHLHD on for free just for the start of playoffs or to anyone with Versus?

These guys are good, but not even in the same league as Gretzky (SPELLING) and Kuri (SPELLING). Not even close.
    Michael ;)

NORTH of 60°
  • JimBRICK
    JimBRICK Posts: 1,543
    edited April 2007
    I just joined a free pool contest at futureshop.ca. maybe I can get some free stuff :)
    2 CHANNEL
    Speaker - Klipsch Heresy II
    Under construction
  • janmike
    edited April 2007
    Jim, I do not think you are old enough to have watched Gretzky play his junior hockey in the Soo. Just a guess.
    Michael ;)

NORTH of 60°
  • tommyboy
    edited April 2007
    The series "finally began" between the pens and sens. What a great game. The pens were playing really bad until the third where they came alive. I am very impressed with Jordan Staal. He is 18 years old and he is the best on the team right now. If the pens keep playing like they did in the third, to the next round we go:D .

And what about the rangers? a month ago they looked like they weren't even going to make the playoffs. Now they are up 2-0 against atlanta.:eek:

Willow, looks like you are heading to game 5, have fun!
  • tommyboy
    edited April 2007
    JimBRICK wrote: »
    I just joined a free pool contest at futureshop.ca. maybe I can get some free stuff :)

And what does this have to do with hockey... yeah, don't post this ****.
  • avelanchefan
    avelanchefan Posts: 2,401
    edited April 2007
    My team is not in it, despite their valiant effort for the last month of the season. It was actually a damn near historic run, but Calgary put on a nice run of their own and staved off the Avs hot run by a single game. (Ruined in the second to last game of the season by no other than Peter Forsberg...talk about **** ways to go)

As for who I am rooting for...another former Avalanche that should have never...I MEAN never been traded, and to this day I still do not understand why they did it. None other than Chris Drury and the Buffalo Sabres. Despite his viscious hit he sustained late in the season (and one of the better hockey one sided hockey fights of the season too) he seems to have recovered and is leading his team.
    Sean
    XboxLive--->avelanchefan
    PSN---->Floppa
    http://card.mygamercard.net/avelanchefan.png
  • krabby5
    edited April 2007
    After watching the Ducks and Wild last night, I have lost all respect for the Ducks and their POS coach..

Things aren't going their way and they start gooning it up and taking cheap shots? wtf? yer up 3 games to zip and you lose control like that?

The refs didn't help much either by allowing them to get out of control..

I bet the three refs scheduled for the next game are pissed now because game 5 could be worse..

Ducks are the better team amd will advance, but what a bunch of goons
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,725
    edited April 2007
    Looks like the STARS are almost done...

Go MAVS!!!!!
  • Willow
    edited April 2007
    And what does this have to do with hockey... yeah, don't post this ****.

It's a hockey pool.....not a swimming pool ;)
  • Willow
    edited April 2007
    Looks like I'm going to see the Pens get eliminated tomorrow night !

Can't wait to see Crying Crosby ! great player big cry baby ! These are not the Jr's any more Toto....
  • tommyboy
    edited April 2007
    It's a hockey pool.....not a swimming pool ;)

woops... sorry jimbrick:o
    Looks like I'm going to see the Pens get eliminated tomorrow night !

Can't wait to see Crying Crosby ! great player big cry baby ! These are not the Jr's any more Toto....

I think the pens might take one more game from the sens, but I still never expected the pens to win the series. But I'm hoping they can pull the upset.

Willow, I'm sick of hearing this crap about how he is a big cry baby. If he was complaining for being checked too hard or something like that then I would understand. But when he gets a high stick in the face or brought down illegally (hooking, interference, etc), I think he has every right to.

Go pens
  • Willow
    edited April 2007
    Looks like the Golf courses will have a couple more players now.

We had a box right behind the Pens net...

What a great game !

Go Sens Go !!!
  • krabby5
    edited April 2007
    I can't believe the Wild players didn't try to goon it up a little as they were losing at the end of game 5...I guess they have more class than Anaheim.

too bad class doesn't win hockey games..

I still believe that Brad May will get his next year..The Wild won't forget that one
  • tommyboy
    edited April 2007
    Looks like the Golf courses will have a couple more players now.

We had a box right behind the Pens net...

What a great game !

Go Sens Go !!!

Well, gotta give a hand to the sens. They took complete advantage of the pens inexperience... Sens completely dominated the series except the 3rd period of game 2 and MAYBE game 4. I thought they would put up a little bit of a fight but.... good luck sens, I have you guys going to the cup finals, lets see you do it(beat buffalo:) ).
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited April 2007
    The Sens are looking good and how about that Ray Emery fella.He is getting the job done and if he keeps it up they should go a long ways.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing