Math Problem

Comments

• Sami
    Sami Posts: 4,634
    edited April 2007
    Recoil isn't calculated to the shooter but to the weapon. Do they give you the length of the barrel? You are not calculating work either, just force (F) so m*a should be enough based on the info given.
  • Serendipity
    Serendipity Posts: 6,975
    edited April 2007
    They don't give the length of the barrel.

All that's given in the problem is what I quoted in the original post.

I've been trying desperately to figure this out since it is due in 2 days and will be graded.
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!
  • petrym
    petrym Posts: 1,912
    edited April 2007
    The average barrel length is what, 30-40 cm? After the bullet travels that far the gas is vented and doesn't matter anymore.
  • Serendipity
    edited April 2007
    Well, the problem does not talk about barrel length so I don't think it is part of the calculations.

I'm starting to think this is straightforward - but I'm still unsure as to how to do the problem.
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,480
    edited April 2007
    I-SIG wrote: »
    Actually the effects of recoil are cumulative.

I agree.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • Serendipity
    edited April 2007
    So does that mean the recoil force adds up to = 8 times the force of the first shot?
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• Deadof_knight
    Deadof_knight Posts: 980
    edited April 2007
    you have to figure out part the problem to get the last part, a given round has a known fps "feet per second value" and that said the weight of the bullet comes into play for the force applied to find out the distance traveled.
    :cool: " He who dies with the most equipment wins Right ? "

Denon 3300 Adcom 535 BBe w/sub out 1 pr 4.6s 2 pr of 4 jrs Recent additions Samsung Lns-4095D LCD, Samsung hd-960 DVD, Monster HT-5000 Power center
    ,HPSA-1000 18" sealed DiY home sub.:D
    Black Laquer 1.2tl's w/ upgraded x-overs and Tweets BI-Amped with 2 Carver tfm-35's Knukonceptz 10ga cables
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,480
    edited April 2007
    I don't know the answer to your question, but recall from some full auto training that Newton’s Third Law may apply. The basic rule was shoot in shorter bursts to maintain accuracy to reduce muzzle rise. But as it has been mentioned, weapon design affects the ability to control it. All I remember from school daze is to not look too far past what was presented in the question. What I remember about actually shooting a full 30 round clip from an M-16 in a standing position is you had to continually lean into it to keep on target.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • sophie
    sophie Posts: 511
    edited April 2007
    as i have only had general science i am not a lot of help as to this but somthing that might help: Ek=1/2 mv^2, that is kenetic energy(J) = 1/2 mass(Kg) times volicety(m/s) times volicety(m/s)
    1J=1N*1M but i dont think distance helps much because in the calculations that is didtance strate up and not sidewase, as far as i know you can calculate with that unless you it is a straight line then you use the calculations for the simple machine inclined plane, wish i could help more but i cant do this with out more information, the acceleration would make this a quick calculation but without it i am stuck.
    Polk monitor 10B's and 5 jr's
    Adcom gfa 5500 and HK/240
    Adcom gtp 400
    Adcom gcp 600
    MusicHall MMF 2.1 TT
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited April 2007
    appadv wrote: »
    I understand that F = m*a and that F = d(mv)/dt, but I'm unsure as to how to find the distance that the bullets traveled in the work equation. Since W = F*d and F = m*a, then Work should equal W = m*a*d.

Well why didn't you just say so in the first place? The answer is STFU MF.
  • Tex
    Tex Posts: 189
    edited April 2007
    This problem falls under the Impulse-Momentum Theorem. Average force = mv/t. The mass is 8*.00745kg. The velocity is actually the change in momentum which the initial velocity is 0 so the change is 293m/s. The time is how long it takes to fire the 8 rounds which is about .48 seconds. This will give you an average force of 36.38N (Newtons). The number of shots is not relevant. You can figure it with 1000 rds with t=60s and get the same answer. This means the equation could be simplified to f = mvr. I am not an expert but am pretty sure this is correct. Good luck!
  • Sami
    edited April 2007
    0.00745 x 293 / (8*60/1000) N = 4.55N

:D

Edit: Looks like Tex beat me to it and remembered to include the number of bullets, 8. 8*4.55 = 36.4
  • Serendipity
    edited April 2007
    PolkThug wrote: »
    Well why didn't you just say so in the first place? The answer is STFU MF.

Well, I didn't know how to find the distance, and Tex just figured out the problem.

Thanks Tex!
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• Serendipity
    edited April 2007
    I'd like to thank you all for helping me solve this problem - I really appreciate it.

I don't know what kind of grade I would get if you guys didn't help me figure out the calculations, but anyways, I hope I get an A on the problem.

Again, thanks!
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,668
    edited April 2007
    Well, you're welcome, but .... I can't take ALL the credit.

....or can I ?
    Sal Palooza
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited April 2007
    Thanks tex, I forgot about the change in momentum can substitute the Newtonian acceleration equations-Well done!.

(I burned all my physics and calc books when I left school and had forgot about that)

Recoil guys: He's talking about the recoil the weapon feels or the transfer of energy to the bullet. If the weapon is moving backwords/up and down, the bullet would lose speed as well since that is NOT included in the question, it should be assumed away. Remember that in physics and math, a horse is a cylinder and not a mammel with 4 legs.
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • Sami
    edited April 2007
    jdhdiggs wrote: »
    Thanks tex, I forgot about the change in momentum can substitute the Newtonian acceleration equations-Well done!.

I thought it's still the same equation m * dv/dt? Change in time, dt, is the rate of the fire.

mass = 0.00745 kg
    dv = (293 - 0) m/s
    dt = 60/1000 s = 0.06 s

The number of bullets cancel each other out in the equation so it's not relevant.

0.00745 kg * 293 m/s / 0.06 s = 36.38 kgm/s^2 = 36.4 N
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited April 2007
    What calculus is this? Calc 2?

Very interesting question...don't think I could have figured it out with a lot of input, either. Hope you get a good grade on it!
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • bikezappa
    bikezappa Posts: 2,463
    edited April 2007
    Just saw this.

F=ma or the recoill force of the bullet = the mass of bullet times it's acceleration.

Bullet starts with V1=0 as it leaves the barrel V2=293m/s

Time for bullet to travel (accelerate) is 60seconds/1000bullets

a=dv/dt or (V1-V2)/time for bullet in barrel

F=(7.45g)a

plug and chug

Did that help?
  • Serendipity
    edited April 2007
    audiobliss wrote: »
    What calculus is this? Calc 2?

Very interesting question...don't think I could have figured it out with a lot of input, either. Hope you get a good grade on it!

Its differential calculus with physical applications. Part of my electrical engineering program.

Don't know what it is called, Calc 2 maybe?
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• audiobliss
    edited April 2007
    Its differential calculus with physical applications. Part of my electrical engineering program.

Don't know what it is called, Calc 2 maybe?

Sounds interesting enough, for sure. I'm not sure how the different Calc courses are broken up at different schools, but according to my experience Calc 1 is differentiation, Calc 2 is integration, and Calc 3 is three-dimensional applications of 1 & 2.

I haven't gotten into any physics yet, though. At least no more than the small amount of physics necessary to do some of the problems in math.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • Sami
    edited April 2007
    Yes, it's more of a physics problem than math. Wait until you get to the part where you need to calculate all the applicable forces... ;)

I'm still having nightmares of my 'Solid mechanics' classes. Ever tried to calculate forces applied to a bridge? LOL
  • Serendipity
    edited April 2007
    Well, I did differentiation and integration in HS, so maybe Calc 3? Again, the courses are not numerical at all schools...

audiobliss, are you the same audiobliss from the Definitive Technology forum?
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited April 2007
    Sami wrote: »
    Yes, it's more of a physics problem than math. Wait until you get to the part where you need to calculate all the applicable forces... ;)

I'm still having nightmares of my 'Solid mechanics' classes. Ever tried to calculate forces applied to a bridge? LOL

Pffft, statics was a freakin snap, I'd due trusses and structural work all day long as long as I could stay out of AC circuits and dynamic physics.
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • Sami
    edited April 2007
    jdhdiggs wrote: »
    Pffft, statics was a freakin snap, I'd due trusses and structural work all day long as long as I could stay out of AC circuits and dynamic physics.
    Different strokes for different folks. :)

I'm a software engineer now and my main goal is to stay away from DSP's (I work with RX's and TX's all day). They say it's not that bad but one look at those algorithms is enough to scare me away...
  • Serendipity
    edited April 2007
    Yeah, I know the AC circuits and dynamic physics stuff can be pretty hard.

I've still got 9 years of school left though.
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• audiobliss
    edited April 2007
    Well, I did differentiation and integration in HS, so maybe Calc 3? Again, the courses are not numerical at all schools...

audiobliss, are you the same audiobliss from the Definitive Technology forum?

Nope, never been on that forum. I also did Calc 1 and Calc 2 in HS.
    I've still got 9 years of school left though...right now I am a bit younger than Sid (Vr3MxStyler2k3)
    What?! So, wait a minute...how old are you? Where are you schooling? Are you some kind of genius?! :eek:
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • Serendipity
    edited April 2007
    Interesting... there was an audiobliss on the Def Tech forum some 2-3 years ago. I think he was also from NC.

I don't want to give away my age or location.
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• Sami
    edited April 2007
    audiobliss wrote: »
    What?! So, wait a minute...how old are you? Where are you schooling? Are you some kind of genius?! :eek:

I think we started with those kinds of test questions around 15-16y of age (I went to school in Europe). The way it is worded can be confusing and you might think of it as a more complex problem. I think that's part of the idea too.
  • Serendipity
    edited April 2007
    I agree the question was confusing and made it seem like a more complex problem.
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1