Math Problem

Serendipity
Serendipity Posts: 6,975
edited April 2007 in The Clubhouse
Hi,

I was just wondering if any of you could help me figure out this calculus problem, as I am totally stumped and not sure where to start.

"A solider in a firing range fires an 8-shot burst from a weapon at a rate of 1000 rounds per minute. Each bullet has a mas of 7.45g and a speed of 293 m/s relative to the ground as it leaes the barrel of the weapon. Calculate the average recoil force exerted on the weapon during that burst."

I'm not sure if I'm supposed to use integrals here, since force = the derivative of momentum and the integral of F(t)dt = the integral of (dp(t)/dt)*dt.

And I also think that since I can calculate the difference between the initial and final momenta p0 and p1 and since p = mv, then delta p = p0-p1 = mv0-mv1, am I right in this regard?

Thanks a lot for your help!
polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
polkaudio DSWPro550WI
polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!
Post edited by Serendipity on

Comments

• ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited April 2007
    The average recoil would be the same as one shot. The second shot isn't going to place anymore force on the weapon than the first shot. Once the action is fully cycled it starts all over again. Its a trick question. Now if they are looking for the summed force to the weapon it would be 8x the first shot. Also another thing to be considered is that the bullet doesn't reach max velocity till after it leaves the barrel. I am assuming that this was taken into consideration when the info was given to you.
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Serendipity
    edited April 2007
    ben62670 wrote: »
    The average recoil would be the same as one shot. The second shot isn't going to place anymore force on the weapon than the first shot. Once the action is fully cycled it starts all over again. Its a trick question. Now if they are looking for the summed force to the weapon it would be 8x the first shot. Also another thing to be considered is that the bullet doesn't reach max velocity till after it leaves the barrel. I am assuming that this was taken into consideration when the info was given to you.

Thanks, this helped me a bit, but I am still unsure how I should tackle this problem. I think the problem is looking for the summed force on the weapon, but the problem (quoted above) isn't really clear if this is true or not.

I am thinking of using p = p0-pf = mv0-mvf = m(v0-vf) = m*delta v to find the momentum, bt there is an impulse applied by the weapon (on the bullet?) I'm not sure if I am correct in that matter. I am thinking the impulse i, which = the integral of the applied force (integral F over time) will help.

Since force = d/dx of momentum, I = the integral of F(t)dt = integral of dp(t)/dt * dt = p0-pf = delta p. Since I also = F*delta t = delta p / delta t, then how do I solve this equation?

I'm still confused.

Thanks a lot for your help!
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• I-SIG
    I-SIG Posts: 2,238
    edited April 2007
    Actually the effects of recoil are cumulative. Keep in mind that the GAU-8 on an A-10 slows it down like 30 or 40 MPH.

Wes
    Link: http://polkarmy.com/forums

Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK 42" HDTV | Polk Audio SDA-SRS's (w/RDO's & Vampire Posts) + SVS PC+ 25-31 | AudioQuest Granite (mids) + BWA Silver (highs) | Cary Audio CAD-200 | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Wyred 4 Sound STP/SE Pre | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Cambridge Audio azur 840C--Wadia 170i + iPod jammed w/ lossless audio--Oppo 970 | Pure|AV PF31d
  • ben62670
    edited April 2007
    There are to many variables missing. Is the gun is solid mounted? It would increase the overall force applied to said weapon. If it is not solid mounted. You have to take into consideration the weapon moving rearward do to recoil. This also depends on force/weight of holding device. At that firing rate there wouldn't be enough time to fully recoup between shots. Also if the weapon isn't solidly mounted then you also need to take into consideration the weight of the gun to figure velocity*projectile weight to figure force applied to gun. Also not mentioned is the weapon gas operated, or recoil operated? Now you have to figure in the force of the cartridge moving back wards, and the weight/spring rate of recoil mechanism. If it is a gas operate gun then you also lose some force do to escaping gas. Also with gas you have to consider there is a piston/spring mechanism moving rearward, so you would also need to know the mass of the piston, and the spring rate of said mechanism. With all these variables there is no way to calculate total force applied to said weapon. Thats why I say it is a trick question. If this is for a class you could easily disprove any answer given with all these missing variables.
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited April 2007
    appadv wrote: »
    Hi,

Each bullet has a mas of 7.45g and a speed of 293 m/s relative to the ground as it leaes the barrel of the weapon. Calculate the average recoil force exerted on the weapon during that burst."
    QUOTE]

Not to be a d*ck ben, but they didn`t ask how the weapon operates ...!!

mas , speed, length of burst, # of bursts, length of travel relative to the ground, etc.

I don`t know !
    I suck at math !!!

Sorry gents, carry on...

Not sure why I even stepped in !
    My Bad.....:rolleyes:
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
  • ben62670
    edited April 2007
    Ever fire a semi auto gun compared to a bolt action? Both guns being equal weight same shell the semi auto has considerable lest recoil.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • beardog03
    edited April 2007
    Blowback....
    gases push slide to the rear and eject cartridge, etc.

I`ve fired one or two in my time....;)

I`m good with weapons, I suck at math !!
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s

• mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,668
    edited April 2007
    Answer to math problem:

Kill 'em all, let God sort 'em out.
    Sal Palooza
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited April 2007
    Man, I just got anxious reading that.

I do NOT miss college.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited April 2007
    I think the answer is 5.

:D
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • petrym
    petrym Posts: 1,912
    edited April 2007
    Make that 5 newton meters per second and you've got something. :D

Either that or 5 furlongs per fortnight - I can't remember the conversions... ;)

Actually I have no idea, sorry, :o
  • Serendipity
    edited April 2007
    Hmmm - that's what I am thinking. The problem is missing too many variables.

I read the problem again, and I think I missed a sentence:

"A soldier on a firing range fires an 8-shot burst from an assault weapon at a full automatic rate of 1000 rounds per minute. Each bullet has a mass of 7.45g and a speed of 293 m/s relative to the ground as it leaves the barrel of the weapon. Calculate the AVERAGE recoil force exerted on the weapon during that burst."

The fact that the weapon is an automatic makes some difference - although I know nothing about weapons.

Is that sentence more useful in helping to solve the problem?

Again, thanks for your help!
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• beardog03
    edited April 2007
    green

the answer is green...!!
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s

• unc2701
    unc2701 Posts: 3,587
    edited April 2007
    OK- It's a physics question, so they don't give a **** what kind of weapon it is. In fact, under the equal and opposite reaction, what they're really asking is how much force is applied to move those bullets, since that will be equal to the recoil (for the purposes of the question- normally a good bit of the force is used to cycle the action and the friction between the soldiers feet and ground enter the problem...)

So, figure out the time needed to fire 8 rounds from a 1000 rpm gun, then everything else should fall straight into your formulas. The only ambiguity is whether the time includes the action cycling on the last round- I'm going with "Yes".
    Gallo Ref 3.1 : Bryston 4b SST : Musical fidelity CD Pre : VPI HW-19
    Gallo Ref AV, Frankengallo Ref 3, LC60i : Bryston 9b SST : Meridian 565
    Jordan JX92s : MF X-T100 : Xray v8
    Backburner:Krell KAV-300i
  • bvette94
    bvette94 Posts: 356
    edited April 2007
    After reading this i have never felt do dumb in my life.
  • MrNightly
    MrNightly Posts: 3,370
    edited April 2007
    bvette94 wrote: »
    After reading this i have never felt do dumb in my life.

"Do dumb. Do dumb. Do dumb, do dumb, do dumb, do dumb do dumbbbb... do do do dumb." - What the pink panther said when asked a calculus problem.
    Honoured to be, an original SOPA founding member
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    SVS PB12-NSD/2 - sub :D:D:D
    Denon 3805
    Rotel RB-985 5-Channel Amplifier

• ben62670
    edited April 2007
    Without knowing the weight of the weapon I would assume that the answer would be the same for every shot fired. I would also write up a little thesis presenting all the missing variables to this equation just to show off:D I would also end it with a quote " I'm a mathematician not a magician"

Ben
    Thanks
    Ben
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited April 2007
    The average recoil on the weapon itself would be the same as one bullet. The average recoil in your hands would be slightly more, because, once you jolt back a little, the next bullet is pushing you back before you get your body back to "zero position".
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited April 2007
    Good lord, you yahoos are going to eff up a perfectly straight forward question. The answer is obviously green.

Getting serious, this is pretty easy, espeically since the prof counter acted most of the yahoo's comments in the thread with the "exerted on the weapon" phrase.

Caluculate the volume of the impulse curves (Pretty straight forward F=MA and work calculations) then you calculate the time it took to fire the eight shots and ta-da, your done. Just find out the work done on one shot, multiply by eight, divide by time and Bob's your uncle.
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • beardog03
    edited April 2007
    wwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

and Bob`s your uncle !

Priceless
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s

• ben62670
    edited April 2007
    jdhdiggs wrote: »
    Getting serious, this is pretty easy, espeically since the prof counter acted most of the yahoo's comments in the thread with the "exerted on the weapon" phrase.

If said weapon is moving rearward do to recoil then the second shot would put less force on the weapon do to rearward travel. Goes back to not enough info given for question. There is no true answer for this question. Mass of weapon, mass of shooter, strength of shooter, even what angle is the shooter shooting from all can have an effect on force applied to weapon.

I think this is a trick question

appadv are you messing with us? Or is this a school type of question?
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Serendipity
    edited April 2007
    This is for my Calculus class. The problem is due on Monday.
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• beardog03
    edited April 2007
    I think you should listen to JD and see how you do..

Whatever you come up with, please post it...and the answer on monday, if ya would..

I still say the answer is GREEN...!!
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s

• mrbigbluelight
    edited April 2007
    This is for my Calculus class. The problem is due on Monday.

No, the ANSWER is due on Monday.

However, if the instructor incorrectly stated, "The problem is due on Monday", than give her back the problem.

If he/she says, "I was looking for the answer", than merely retort with

"Look, I'm not a mind reader ! If you wanted an answer to your GD problem, than you should have told us you were looking for an answer to your GD problem !!!

Than stomp away from his/her desk in a sulking manner.
    Sal Palooza
  • Serendipity
    edited April 2007
    The answer is due on Monday.

JD - I understand your reasoning but I am not sure about the distance. Since Work = Force * distance, but you don't know the distance, and I'm not sure if the bullet travels in the path of a projectile, then...

Do I use the equation for projectile motion x = x0 + v0*t + (1/2)at^2

I'm totally confused at this point.
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• mrbigbluelight
    edited April 2007
    I'm totally confused at this point.

Than it appears that my work here has not been in vain.
    Sal Palooza
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited April 2007
    All I know is all that recoil would hurt!!!
  • wallstreet
    wallstreet Posts: 1,405
    edited April 2007
    Check this out, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F%3Dma#Newton.27s_second_law.E2.80.94historical_development and look down to Newtons second law. It appears to have all the variables that you need.
  • Serendipity
    edited April 2007
    Just read the article on Newton's 2nd Law. Thanks for the link.

I understand that F = m*a and that F = d(mv)/dt, but I'm unsure as to how to find the distance that the bullets traveled in the work equation. Since W = F*d and F = m*a, then Work should equal W = m*a*d.

The problem is that I'm unsure as to how to find the distance. If the bullet travels in the path of a projectile, how do I determine the distance?

Thanks for all your help so far!
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• RSTERN
    RSTERN Posts: 287
    edited April 2007
    What about gravity? You know the weight of the bullet, you know the speed of the bullet. The pull of gravity should determine how far the bullet goes.
    Rob
    mains: rt16
    center: csi40
    surrounds:fx 1000
    sub: SVS 20-39pc+