circuit city SUCKS

Comments

• disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited March 2007
    A sale is a Sale too sales people, sorry Ben but how about carry a check with ya for those emergency situations. ;)

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited March 2007
    jdhdiggs wrote:
    If you didn't give him any money, than tough...

As DK said, cash is king and a sale is a sale. My second car, I was standing there with $2K in cash and another buyer promising to write them a check for $400 and come back with $2K in cash the next day. Guess who got the car... I did...

Did the salesman say he was going to hold the car for the other guy? So WTF does what you are saying have to do with this. Cash is king? I'm tired of moral less people. What ever happened to morals in this country? I guess morals has nothing to do with money in your book. Do you think they wouldn't have sold a 60" Sony the very next day if I didn't show up? $1100 for a 60" Sony! Sticking to what they said really would have hurt CC financially:rolleyes: Sticking up for a liar? Cash is king? With statements like that you and DK should be partners in a business. Don't forget cash is king.
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited March 2007
    ben62670 wrote:
    So its polite to lie?
    Thats good DK.
    So when you are selling something are you being "polite" when you agree on something, or are you going to honor your deal?

You know what? I have empathy to the extent that it blows to miss out on a good deal.

Beyond that, cut the crybaby ****. If you are maxed out on your cards or couldn't write a check/debit or open a CC charge to cover it...tough rocks. If I'm a salesperson and you can't close escrow on the spot....that might clue me in that your credit ain't exactly AAA....in which case I might deduce that your payment history might be somewhat, shall we say, checkered. If that's the case, let's talk about morals. You borrow, you pay (on time according to the agreement) you keep your good credit rating. Otherwise you are welshing on your end of the bargain. THEN who is the ****?

Last time I checked, CC didn't have a hold or layaway policy. Last time I checked, salesmen (and we ARE talking about CC, here) making 10 bucks an hour didn't really have the authority to circumvent store policy.

JHC, cry me a friggin' river already.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • ben62670
    edited March 2007
    disneyjoe7 wrote:
    A sale is a Sale too sales people, sorry Ben but how about carry a check with ya for those emergency situations. ;)
    I was swimming and fishing with my 1 /12 and 3 1/2 year old girls that day. I had $700 in my pocket, and 300 in my bank. And the whole point is the sales guy lied. A sale is a sale right? Is that where I should set my moral standard at? I sold an Adcom GFA-5400 to a polkie for a lot less than I should have. Should I have placed it on Ebay, and say I sold it to someone else after I told him I would sell it to him. Money is money right? I should have gone for the extra dough instead of what I told someone right. Cash is King. I'm selling some speakers to a fellow Polkie right now for a lot less than I could get for them. Should I tell him "Cash is King" ? Sell them to someone else for more? Is this what we should teach our children?

Very disturbing.:(
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • tommyboy
    tommyboy Posts: 1,414
    edited March 2007
    ben62670 wrote:
    Did the salesman say he was going to hold the car for the other guy? So WTF does what you are saying have to do with this. Cash is king? I'm tired of moral less people. What ever happened to morals in this country? I guess morals has nothing to do with money in your book. Do you think they wouldn't have sold a 60" Sony the very next day if I didn't show up? $1100 for a 60" Sony! Sticking to what they said really would have hurt CC financially:rolleyes: Sticking up for a liar? Cash is king? With statements like that you and DK should be partners in a business. Don't forget cash is king.

Ben, business is business. When I worked at CC, I don't know how many times I spent hour or two(or more) with customers, being used, thinking I was going to sell something, just to have them walk out and never come back . They want to make money, just like you want to save money.

Why don't you use a credit card for big purchases(or use their CC and pay off in the first month)? No salesman likes counting $1100 in 10s and 20s...(One time a guy bought a $400 tv from me in ones!:eek: )
    AVR: H/K AVR240
    Fronts: Monitor 50s
    Center: CSI3
    surrounds: R15s
    Sub:Velodyne DPS10
    Dvd/Cd: Samsung HD upconverter (for now)
    TV: 50" Sammy Plasma
    game hardware: 360 and gcn.
    Gamertag: kovster27
  • TroyD
    edited March 2007
    ben62670 wrote:
    I was swimming and fishing with my 1 /12 and 3 1/2 year old girls that day. I had $700 in my pocket, and 300 in my bank. And the whole point is the sales guy lied. A sale is a sale right? Is that where I should set my moral standard at? I sold an Adcom GFA-5400 to a polkie for a lot less than I should have. Should I have placed it on Ebay, and say I sold it to someone else after I told him I would sell it to him. Money is money right? I should have gone for the extra dough instead of what I told someone right. Cash is King. I'm selling some speakers to a fellow Polkie right now for a lot less than I could get for them. Should I tell him "Cash is King" ? Sell them to someone else for more? Is this what we should teach our children?

Very disturbing.:(

If you can't deduce the difference between a private sale and a place like circuit city....well, not much I can do for you.

Please, someone call the WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMBULANCE already.

BDT
  • ben62670
    edited March 2007
    TroyD wrote:
    You know what? I have empathy to the extent that it blows to miss out on a good deal.

Beyond that, cut the crybaby ****. If you are maxed out on your cards or couldn't write a check/debit or open a CC charge to cover it...tough rocks. If I'm a salesperson and you can't close escrow on the spot....that might clue me in that your credit ain't exactly AAA....in which case I might deduce that your payment history might be somewhat, shall we say, checkered. If that's the case, let's talk about morals. You borrow, you pay (on time according to the agreement) you keep your good credit rating. Otherwise you are welshing on your end of the bargain. THEN who is the ****?

Last time I checked, CC didn't have a hold or layaway policy. Last time I checked, salesmen (and we ARE talking about CC, here) making 10 bucks an hour didn't really have the authority to circumvent store policy.

JHC, cry me a friggin' river already.

BDT
    Hey **** seeing you can read into peoples lives so well. I just went through a world of **** in a divorce, got in a car accident, herniated 5 dics, had 5 compression fractures prior to that, a buldging disk against my spine, lost my house, lost my car because I couldn't work. Now I am back on track so suck my ____.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • tommyboy
    tommyboy Posts: 1,414
    edited March 2007
    ben62670 wrote:
    Hey **** seeing you can read into peoples lives so well. I just went through a world of **** in a divorce, got in a car accident, herniated 5 dics, had 5 compression fractures prior to that, a buldging disk against my spine, lost my house, lost my car because I couldn't work. Now I am back on track so suck my ____.

Don't mean to be an ****, but what does this have to do with anything?
    AVR: H/K AVR240
    Fronts: Monitor 50s
    Center: CSI3
    surrounds: R15s
    Sub:Velodyne DPS10
    Dvd/Cd: Samsung HD upconverter (for now)
    TV: 50" Sammy Plasma
    game hardware: 360 and gcn.
    Gamertag: kovster27
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,973
    edited March 2007
    I'm on both sides of the fence here. What ever happened to a legal, binding "verbal contract" that they would have to honor?......But then again why didn't you give the manager a CC to "hold"? That would have pretty much told "them" that you were serious and you would be back.

**** situation. Not a very good manager IMO. All I can say is learn from it.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • shawn474
    shawn474 Posts: 3,047
    edited March 2007
    Maybe we have gotten a little off track here...........There are points to be made both ways. I would hardly suggest, however, that the moral fiber of people in general should be in question when someone misses out on a deal to save a couple hundred dollars on a DLP television set. The salesman may also have mouths to feed at home and worked on commission that he couldn't afford to take the chance of you not coming back. Let's keep things in prspective both ways and not pass judgement so quickly.

Shawn
    Shawn
    AVR: Marantz SR-5011
    Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
    Front: Polk LsiM703
    Rear: LSI fx
    Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
    Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
    DVD Player: Sony PS4
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited March 2007
    Ben, Let's switch shoes here, you're the the sales person you turn down a sale with cash / check / credit and waiting for you to return with cash. You your not the 2% return person but you're (for a moment) the 98% people who found the next best deal down the road and F the sales person type. At the end of the night you didn't sell the TV and now you need to explain it do your boss why.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• ben62670
    edited March 2007
    treitz3 wrote:
    I'm on both sides of the fence here. What ever happened to a legal, binding "verbal contract" that they would have to honor?......But then again why didn't you give the manager a CC to "hold"? That would have pretty much told "them" that you were serious and you would be back.

**** situation. Not a very good manager IMO. All I can say is learn from it.
    I did offer, and they said "don't worry about it they were going to hold it for me". I had the cash in the store in hundreds 45 min later, and a buddy came with a truck cause it was mine. This is why I'm ticked off. This wasn't Oh gee thats nice... I'll come back later.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • ben62670
    edited March 2007
    tommyboy wrote:
    Don't mean to be an ****, but what does this have to do with anything?
    The reason for that was to point out that I'm not someone who doesn't pay my bills because I'm bad with money. I was being judged on not having the credit to pay for them flat out. I am the type of person who believes if I don't have the cash for something like this I can't afford it.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Gaara
    Gaara Posts: 2,415
    edited March 2007
    First of I burst out laughing reading this:
    TroyD wrote:
    Please, someone call the WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMBULANCE already.

BDT

Second, whats all this talk of Sony DLPs? Last I checked Sony never has previously or currently made a DLP...just want to get all the facts straight.

Third disneyjoe said what I wanted to, but I will elaborate a little on personal experience as a CC salesmen for about a year and four months. The point was already made that most of the time a customer says they will be back and they really mean they are going to get a better price, going to talk to a significant other, or just want to leave and thats a surefire way of doing it. I have had customers admit (and acquaintances) that they will tell people to put something on hold just so they can leave. Sometimes they just aren't sure what they are getting them self into, or can't afford it, or don't like the salesperson.

Now for the part that you wouldn't know if you didn't work at a CC. I worked at two and they have the same policy. When a set is discontinued they will sell all the stock and then drop the price a set amount for the display, generally 10% unless a new model came out...then it was up in the air. For example if you were looking at a Sony 60in LCD that retailed for $3000 and the new model was $2500, they can't drop the display to $2700. A month or so would go by and if it didn't sell they would drop it again...and so on and so forth until we hit cost, sometimes they would even drop it below cost if its banged up and been there long enough.

Now back to the situation, if there was a 60in 720P LCD with all this 1080P craze they want to get rid of it fast. For that reason the price was dropped so low, and that also means it has been sitting there for a good amount of time and hasn't sold. If it has been there for say 3 months with no sale and a customer says "I've got the money at home, I'll be back later" the salesperson and manager should be happy, but wouldn't get their hopes up. They have already heard that many times before when the TV was above cost...and its still there. Later that day a customer comes in and says they want to take it right then and there, after it being there for months. No what would you do as a manager, finally sell it off and make room for the new model that has been sitting in back while your competitors sell them left and right, or hope that the guy from before comes back and risk not selling it...again?

Its sad but if there is no money down there is no commitment. You will be amazed at how many times people will even put down $20 and forget about it.

Jared
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,569
    edited March 2007
    disneyjoe7 wrote:
    Ben, Let's switch shoes here, you're the the sales person you turn down a sale with cash / check / credit and waiting for you to return with cash. You your not the 2% return person but you're (for a moment) the 98% people who found the next best deal down the road and F the sales person type. At the end of the night you didn't sell the TV and now you need to explain it do your boss why.

Bingo!

But at the same time, I would say 60% of those 98% of no return customers are my sales since I don't let them leave the store! :)

Ben, you'll find a better deal! Don't fret!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • ben62670
    edited March 2007
    Bingo!

But at the same time, I would say 60% of those 98% of no return customers are my sales since I don't let them leave the store! :)

Ben, you'll find a better deal! Don't fret!
    There is no way CC would have suffered any consciences if I didn't come back. It was at the end of the day on a Saturday. If I didn't buy it, it would have definitely been sold the next day. Now they have lost a costumer who has purchased thousands for my business, and home from them.
    I have decied to get a projector, and display a 25' screen on my wall outside. Play some quake. Name my foes after people who have irrataed me, and frag the piss out of them.:D
    Thanks for the encouragement. I used to live out in the country in CT, and I am used to deals being made on a hand shake.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,765
    edited March 2007
    Ben,

You have spent a lot of money at CC and obviously enjoy shopping there. Before you write off an entire chain of stores because of the actions of two of its employees, why don't you send a letter to the district manager or even to corporate headquarters explaining that you are a good customer who was treated badly. They might do something for you out of good will.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • ben62670
    edited March 2007
    Ben,

You have spent a lot of money at CC and obviously enjoy shopping there. Before you write off an entire chain of stores because of the actions of two of its employees, why don't you send a letter to the district manager or even to corporate headquarters explaining that you are a good customer who was treated badly. They might do something for you out of good will.

Thanks DK for the advice. It does help to write a letter sometimes.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • TroyD
    edited March 2007
    ben62670 wrote:

I don't know what your situation is and I don't really care. I'm saying that if I were a salesman and you couldn't close escrow because you couldn't come up with the credit....that would be a logical conclusion.

Personally, if you got 700 bucks in your pocket and you can't come up with 400 in credit? MAYBE you ought to not be shopping for big ticket purchases. That's just me though.

Whine all you like, other than an jerk for a salesman (jerk salesman, THERE is a novel concept) I don't see this as CC's problem.

I'm also from a small town in Maine, even there...money talks and BS walks.
    BDT
  • ben62670
    edited March 2007
    TroyD wrote:
    I don't know what your situation is and I don't really care. I'm saying that if I were a salesman and you couldn't close escrow because you couldn't come up with the credit....that would be a logical conclusion.

Personally, if you got 700 bucks in your pocket and you can't come up with 400 in credit? MAYBE you ought to not be shopping for big ticket purchases. That's just me though.

Whine all you like, other than an jerk for a salesman (jerk salesman, THERE is a novel concept) I don't see this as CC's problem.

I'm also from a small town in Maine, even there...money talks and BS walks.
    BDT
    Thanks Troy
    Thanks
    Ben
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited March 2007
    my point was, as the old proverb says: "A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush". The other person was there first and was negotiating the sales price when I got back from the test drive. I had the cash, they didn't. From a sellers point of view, it's better to take the garaunteed sale.

In my mind, you are at least partially at fault. If you are impulse buying a $1K item, you should have $1K floating around doing nothing. Secondly, if it meant that much to you, ask them to sell it to you in two pieces. Give them the $700 (or whatever you had) to put it on hold for 30 days and then get the rest. Then they would be liable.

Also, was there only one salesman? Is it possibly someone else sold it?

You're getting really bent out of shape for some bad luck.

As for private sale of speakers, if you want to contribute to the forum, cool. If you want the best price you can get, great.... As Troy said, if you can't tell the difference, well, there's no helping you.

Check the E-bay seller "trading circuit". It's CC's E-bay store for returns from customers that don't know what the hell they're doing (like plug in a TV) and destroyed the packaging and returned the item to CC. Some good deals to be had...

I'm hoping/waiting to get the 1 shot employee discount at the end of my current project with them. Those 60" SXRD TV's are nice....
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • Gaara
    Gaara Posts: 2,415
    edited March 2007
    jdhdiggs,

As an aside you may be better off shopping somewhere else if your looking at a SXRD. I worked at a retail store and left last summer, I was looking at a 50in SXRD from a authrozied dealer online and tried to get them to price match. A friend from there showed me cost on the set, my price was less then 5% above this plus I got a free $150 remote. Last I checked my friend bought it online as well, as it was cheaper then his employee discount. They had 5% over cost, last I checked CC was 15%.

Jared
  • TroyD
    edited March 2007
    ben62670 wrote:
    Thanks Troy

No problem, hey, in a short while you'll be big pimpin' with your projector playing video games and CC will probably be out of business due to losing your sales.

BDT
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited March 2007
    TroyD wrote:
    CC will probably be out of business due to losing your sales.

I'm short selling several thousand shares of CC as I type. When the bottom falls out, I'll be packing up and buying a beach house in St. Johns next to Kenny Chesney. :D
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • TroyD
    edited March 2007
    Man, you'll be up the creek like Martha Stewart......

BDT
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited March 2007
    TroyD wrote:
    Man, you'll be up the creek like Martha Stewart......

BDT

Nah...no insider trading...I'm basing my deal on PUBLIC information...found right here on Club Polk for all the world to see. Warren Buffett has got nothin' om me.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • PhantomOG
    PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
    edited March 2007
    jdhdiggs wrote:
    Also, was there only one salesman? Is it possibly someone else sold it?

That's the main issue. CC doesn't have a hold or layaway policy. They don't do it and the salespeople aren't supposed to agree to it.

Do you honestly think the salesman who told you he would hold it went to his manager and told him he just broke corporate policy and made a promise to a customer he couldn't keep? Nope. He just sat there and waited. If you came back, great. If not, no skin off his back.

Now what happens when your salesman goes to the **** right after you leave? Another customer walks in with a credit card and talks to a different salesman. He buys the TV and leaves.

How exactly are you pissed at CC? Go yell at that stupid $10/hour employee if it makes you feel better. It won't. You missed a deal because you didn't have the necessary means available when the opportunity presented itself. I understand being disappointed in missing out on a deal but being pissed at CC is just silly. The only corporate satisfaction you could possibly get would be to **** enough to get the orignal salesman fired for breaking corporate policy. If you do that will you feel better?
  • ben62670
    edited March 2007
    Last post. There were 3 salesmen there helping me out. They said they would hold it. I have been looking for a long time for a good deal, and was just shy of the full price with tax. I didn't feel like driving around with $2000 in my pocket. I was back in 45 minutes. Do I feel CC as a whole sucks? No. That manager, and those employees suck. I own a business, and if one of my employees screws up I am responsible for their actions. Thats the way I do business, and I don't advertise anymore. Everything is word of mouth. Reputation means something to me. Thanks guys for advice on finding another deal. If you want to insult me, or stick up for dishonest people don't bother posting to tell me I'm wrong. I'm not going to read it.
    Thanks Ben
    Thanks
    Ben
  • TroyD
    edited March 2007
    ben62670 wrote:
    Last post. . I didn't feel like driving around with $2000 in my pocket. I was back in 45 minutes. Do I feel CC as a whole sucks? No.

Check? Debit Card? That whole thing? Maybe out in the great suburban wilderness in CT they still hide thier cash/wampum/ beads and shells/whatever under the mattress. I assure you banks have come along way.

Do you feel as a whole CC sucks? I dunno, the title of the post sorta gave it away for me.

BDT
  • ben62670
    edited March 2007
    TroyD wrote:
    Check? Debit Card? That whole thing? Maybe out in the great suburban wilderness in CT they still hide thier cash/wampum/ beads and shells/whatever under the mattress. I assure you banks have come along way.

Do you feel as a whole CC sucks? I dunno, the title of the post sorta gave it away for me.

BDT
    jasdhfkjashduifhqewkrfnkjherqwkhkuehfuhweiofhkjanjkfvjs
    Thanks
    Ben