circuit city SUCKS

ben62670
ben62670 Posts: 15,969
edited March 2007 in The Clubhouse
I went to CC earlier, and I saw a Sony 60" DLP 720 table top projection TV for $1100. I didn't have the cash on me so I asked them to hold it for 45 minutes. They said they couldn't hold it unless it was paid in full. So I talked to the guy and said I'll throw you a 20 spot to hold it I have the cash at home. He said he would hold it and I didn't have to through him a 20. So I race home, grab the cash, call a buddy with a truck to meet me there. I get there its gone. They sold it. So I talked to the AV manager he wouldn't substitute anything for it. I talked to the main manager, and told him what happened so I asked if he could give a price break on a smaller one. I told how I had bought a lot of stuff there for home and business. No dice. I'll still try to find a bargain, but I'm PISSED! Back to watching my crappy RCA 27" CRT:mad:
Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
Thanks
Ben
Post edited by ben62670 on

Comments

• PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited March 2007
    What was it, open box? There's probably a good reason somebody returned it.
  • ben62670
    edited March 2007
    PolkThug wrote:
    What was it, open box? There's probably a good reason somebody returned it.

Yeah it was a display. They were getting rid of a lot of displays to make room for the new ones(1080's). I guess its that time of year when they change over. Good time to shop.
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,411
    edited March 2007
    dude carry a credit card, just what did CC do wrong?
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • ben62670
    edited March 2007
    hoosier21 wrote:
    dude carry a credit card, just what did CC do wrong?
    Um they told me they would hold them. I didn't have the available balance on my cards. If they told me they couldn't hold them then I wouldn't be pissed. My friends meet me there to pick it up... empty space where the TV was supposed to be.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited March 2007
    Still trying to figger out what it is CC did wrong.

I mean, too bad you didn't get what you want but if you didn't have the means...I don't see that as thier problem.

Capitalism is king.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • ben62670
    edited March 2007
    TroyD wrote:
    Still trying to figger out what it is CC did wrong.

I mean, too bad you didn't get what you want but if you didn't have the means...I don't see that as thier problem.

Capitalism is king.

BDT
    I HAD THE CASH. THEY SAID THEY WOULD HOLD IT! If they didn't say they would hold it then it would be no big deal. If I tell someone I will hold something... I do it. IF you tell someone you will hold something... do you hold it? Thank you.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • TroyD
    edited March 2007
    Look, man, I empathisize but look.....I'm willing to bet if you ask a salesman how many times that someone says "I'll be right back with the cash"...and they don't show back up? I'm not making a personal judgement here but if you didn't have the credit available or a check/debit card.....see where I'm going with this?

So, yeah, the salesman might be an a$$hole but you're talking about some schmuck making 10 bucks an hour or less....I mean, wtf does he care what he tells you. He figgers that the chances are pretty high that you are FOS anyway.

BDT
  • 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited March 2007
    I believe that if someone tells you something they should stick to it.....
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,569
    edited March 2007
    Speaking from... a year (not to much I guess) of working a sales floor...

There is about a 2% rate of someone coming back with the cash they say they will...

Now what I tell alot of customers, that for 20 dollars I will hold said product for a day or a week - depending on the value so it does not go anywhere if they really want it.

To me that is just as good as someone else coming in and buying it on the spot.

So to me, the salesman was in the wrong - simple. But w/e...
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • ben62670
    edited March 2007
    Speaking from... a year (not to much I guess) of working a sales floor...

There is about a 2% rate of someone coming back with the cash they say they will...

Now what I tell alot of customers, that for 20 dollars I will hold said product for a day or a week - depending on the value so it does not go anywhere if they really want it.

To me that is just as good as someone else coming in and buying it on the spot.

So to me, the salesman was in the wrong - simple. But w/e...
    Yep, I told him I would be right back and I was. 45 min.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • TroyD
    edited March 2007
    A salesman lie?

Whodathunk it.

I really wonder about some of you guys.

BDT
  • Bill Ayotte
    Bill Ayotte Posts: 1,860
    edited March 2007
    TroyD wrote:
    A salesman lie?

Whodathunk it.

I really wonder about some of you guys.

BDT
    No kidding. I sold for a while, and I would have to make good on a lot of promises that the "special people" would make. He told me if I bought this one, I would get this free.....Maybe his **** can buy it for you then....:D
  • mwh9
    mwh9 Posts: 51
    edited March 2007
    I have had good service at cc but, I also believe that if they are not going to really hold something for you that they should not say they will. I understand that a lot of people never come back. I'm not sure what their policy is about holding something but, if they could take a deposit and be held to it, that would help both parties.
  • pearsall001
    pearsall001 Posts: 5,065
    edited March 2007
    I'd be pissed to. The salesman had no right to tell you he would hold if he wasn't. If a specific time frame for you to return was agreeded upon then he should have honored that. If you showed up late, well tough luck. But, if he was up front with you & said he couldn't do it then no problem. If it is true that only 2% actually do return to pick up an item on hold, that's pretty sad also. I'm sure you'll find another good deal.
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited March 2007
    It's been a few years, but I worked in retail for a while. I don't care what the salesman told you...I guarantee his boss will say he had no right to hold it. A SALE is a sale is a sale! If 15 minutes after you walk out the door, someone else walk up with cash or a CC and says they'll take it, your guy protests and the other sales person goes to the manager....SOLD! To the man with the cash on the spot.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited March 2007
    You know Shack that is very well what might of happened. Sorry Ben, remember when we thought 27" TV's were the ultimate?

Maybe you will find an even better deal.

RT1
  • pearsall001
    pearsall001 Posts: 5,065
    edited March 2007
    shack wrote:
    It's been a few years, but I worked in retail for a while. I don't care what the salesman told you...I guarantee his boss will say he had no right to hold it. A SALE is a sale is a sale! If 15 minutes after you walk out the door, someone else walk up with cash or a CC and says they'll take it, your guy protests and the other sales person goes to the manager....SOLD! To the man with the cash on the spot.

This might very well be true. It just goes to show you the caliber of management now adays. If that is the policy then all salespersons should know that & not lead the customer on. The manager was probably a sales guy/gal on Friday & promoted to mgr on Sat. Piss poor management at the top trickles down to the grunts on the floor. In the end, the customer is the one that gets screwed.
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • shawn474
    shawn474 Posts: 3,047
    edited March 2007
    I agree with Shack. Whether or not it is fair or honorable is up for debate, but I understand that's the way retail works.

I actually had a great experience at CC. Bought a 47" Panasonic RPT on open box buy for a steal of a price. I paid extra for delivery. It was delivered the next day and it did not work. So I called the manager; he refunded the delivery charge and sent a brand new one out the next day with a 100 dollar extra credit. New it was a $1200.00 television at the time; when all was said and done I paid less than $800.00. I would shop there again on this experience alone.

Shawn
    Shawn
    AVR: Marantz SR-5011
    Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
    Front: Polk LsiM703
    Rear: LSI fx
    Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
    Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
    DVD Player: Sony PS4
  • Gaara
    Gaara Posts: 2,415
    edited March 2007
    I'm going with Trey on this one, I worked sales for around 2.5 years and I would say less then 2% of the time a customer says they will be back, even if they are specific, and they actually do come back. I am always shocked when a customer says there going to run home get the cash and come back, I can remember every single time it has happened it is that rare. More often they buy somewhere else to save 20 bucks...I have many times had employees call from other locations saying they have my customer there and wants a better deal. I lost over $200 once to a customer who went to a mass location to save ~$30, because mass has 5% sales taxed opposed to 6% of ct. I told the guy after that I would have given him $100 right then and there from my own pocket to have bought it from me.

From my experience customers are more of scum bags then salesmen. This kind of crap happens (salesmen doesn't believe you and sells it to someone else) because most of the time the salesmen gets screwed. I am surprised that the manager didn't do anything for you though, thats kinda skeezy.

Jared
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,765
    edited March 2007
    Prior to moving to New Orleans in 1997, a realtor was taking me around to look at houses. We passed by a house I liked that had a "for sale" sign in front and I wanted to stop and take a look at it. My realtor said the house was under contract and not available. I insisted that we stop. The fact that the house was "under contract" didn't discourage me because I know that a lot of people sign a purchase contract and then can't come up with the money to close the deal. I never fall into that trap because, before I go shopping for anything (houses, cars, audio gear, shoes, etc.), I make sure I have the means to make a purchase. With regard to expensive purchases like houses, it amazes me how people will go house shopping, find a house they like, get emotionally attached to it, then when they run the numbers, get heartbroken when they find they really can't afford it.

Anyway, the house was just what I was looking for and I really didn't want to look at any more houses. My realtor informed me that, since this was a new subdivision, the builder would be happy to build me one just like it. We then went to the builder's office where I introduced myself to the builder's sales agent, handed her a copy of my mortage pre-approval letter, and told her I wanted the house I just looked at. The sales agent read me the routine about the house being under contract. I just said "ok" and took out my check book, wrote a $3000 earnest money check, and told the sales agent to call me if they wanted to sell me the house.

The sales agent called the next day and told me that, since the current buyers were "having some difficulty securing financing", the builder has agreed to sell me the house if I still was interested. I went on to complete the purchase.

Shortly after moving in, I was shopping for furniture when I saw a dining room set that I wanted. It had a big red "SOLD" sign on it. However, experience had taught me that, similar to marriage, "SOLD" doesn't always = "UNAVAILABLE". I told a salesman that I wanted a dining room set just like this one. He said that was the last one they had and that it would take 8 to 10 weeks to special order another one. He asked how would I be paying. I replied "Cash, check, or credit card, whichever you prefer. I am ready to buy today". He went to talk to his manager. When he returned, he said that the current purchasers were waiting credit approval, but if I was ready to make a purchase and didn't need to apply for financing, I could have the dining room set and it would be delivered early the next week. He further mentioned that I would receive a discount if I paid by cash or check. I wrote them a check and took delivery of my merchandise the following Tuesday.

I can imagine that the previous purchasers in each of these examples had some "choice" words for the sellers after they learned what happened. Such good capitalism.:)
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,765
    edited March 2007
    Gaara wrote:
    From my experience customers are more of scum bags then salesmen.

I agree. Let's see...you're a salesman and one customer says I'll be right back and another customer walks in with cash or CC. Who you gonna sell to...cash now...or cash maybe? I have been on both sides of the saleman/customer continuum and I guarantee you, when a customer says "hold it 'til I go home and get the cash", what the salesman hears is one of the following or more of the following:

1. "Hold it while I shop around for a better deal. If I can't find a better deal, I'll come back and buy yours."

2. "Hold it while I talk it over with my wife/significant other/spititual advisor/etc."

3. "Hold it while I go home to think about it some more."

Sure, the salesman will be polite and agree to hold it for you. In the event that he sells the item and you really do come back, he can always blame his manager for not allowing him to hold it.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • GaryZ06
    GaryZ06 Posts: 317
    edited March 2007
    I learned one thing...most people's word is like their credit....Crap :eek:
    Panasonic 50" Plasma + Pioneer 6010
    Toshiba XA2 HD-DVD
    Panasonic BD30 Blu-Ray
    Pioneer 1014
    Polk RTi12 (front)...Polk CSi5 (center)
    Polk RTi4 (rear)...Velodyne DLS 5000-R Sub
    3 Outlaw M-200 Amps
  • daboyz
    daboyz Posts: 5,207
    edited March 2007
    I would have to go w/Ben. The salesperson should have checked w/the manager on duty about the hold issue. If the salesperson agrred to it he should have taken the $20 as down payment and promptly put a sold ticket on it. Agree to hold it til end of business. If not back, then it is a credit and TV is back on the market.

I am a manager of a retail store and that is what I would do. If one of my salespeople did this and it was sold to someone else, I would at least give the customer a similar deal. The CC manager was wrong IMHO. Yes, in many cases the customer doesn't come back, but when there is cash down and you put a time limit on it that is how it should be done.

Ben, did another salesman sell it and yours was a lazya$$? Sometimes that happens. Store should have made it right.

Dave
  • Rivrrat
    Rivrrat Posts: 2,101
    edited March 2007
    If that had happened to me, I'd be upset, and I wouldn't shop there again.

Although, it wouldn't be difficult for me to make that decision about CC. I almost never step foot in he place.
    My equipment sig felt inadequate and deleted itself.
  • Polkersince85
    Polkersince85 Posts: 2,883
    edited March 2007
    Everything out there is just like the flea market...take your hand off of it and it's gone.
    >
    >
    >This message has been scanned by the NSA and found to be free of harmful intent.<
  • first capital
    first capital Posts: 100
    edited March 2007
    I go with take my deposit of $20.00 and if Im not nack in an hour sell it!
  • ben62670
    edited March 2007
    I agree. Let's see...you're a salesman and one customer says I'll be right back and another customer walks in with cash or CC. Who you gonna sell to...cash now...or cash maybe? I have been on both sides of the saleman/customer continuum and I guarantee you, when a customer says "hold it 'til I go home and get the cash", what the salesman hears is one of the following or more of the following:

1. "Hold it while I shop around for a better deal. If I can't find a better deal, I'll come back and buy yours."

2. "Hold it while I talk it over with my wife/significant other/spititual advisor/etc."

3. "Hold it while I go home to think about it some more."

Sure, the salesman will be polite and agree to hold it for you. In the event that he sells the item and you really do come back, he can always blame his manager for not allowing him to hold it.
    So its polite to lie?
    Thats good DK.
    So when you are selling something are you being "polite" when you agree on something, or are you going to honor your deal?
    Thanks
    Ben
  • ben62670
    edited March 2007
    daboyz wrote:
    I would have to go w/Ben. The salesperson should have checked w/the manager on duty about the hold issue. If the salesperson agrred to it he should have taken the $20 as down payment and promptly put a sold ticket on it. Agree to hold it til end of business. If not back, then it is a credit and TV is back on the market.

I am a manager of a retail store and that is what I would do. If one of my salespeople did this and it was sold to someone else, I would at least give the customer a similar deal. The CC manager was wrong IMHO. Yes, in many cases the customer doesn't come back, but when there is cash down and you put a time limit on it that is how it should be done.

Ben, did another salesman sell it and yours was a lazya$$? Sometimes that happens. Store should have made it right.

Dave
    I had 3 salesmen there with me because they were having problems finding the correct wires with the signal.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited March 2007
    If you didn't give him any money, than tough...

As DK said, cash is king and a sale is a sale. My second car, I was standing there with $2K in cash and another buyer promising to write them a check for $400 and come back with $2K in cash the next day. Guess who got the car... I did...
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • daboyz
    daboyz Posts: 5,207
    edited March 2007
    The main point is a retailer should back their salespeople. If they said it, you make it right. If the salesperson keeps doing it, fire 'em.