Tell me about bicycles

Comments

• Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,994
    edited March 2007
    liordra wrote:
    I guess for some people spending more then 500$ for a hi-fi audio system is also dumb.

I know many of these people !
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited March 2007
    buy a motorcycle, you don't have to peddle.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,972
    edited March 2007
    bobman1235 wrote:
    A single wheel for 1400 dollars. That's just dumb. You can buy the Lance Armstrong bike for like, 3500.
    In response to your comment..."that's just dumb". If you are a serious rider and have put over 150,000 miles on your legs [me] throughout your lifetime, a single wheel for $1400.00 is not that bad, and worth every penny! Cyclists like me know why. The average rider would not.

I have a polished aluminum 1994 Cannondale Delta Killer "V" mountain bike [the first one sold in NC] that has been converted into a "racecraft" 6 or seven times over. Everything is custom on this bike. NOTHING is origional equipment. I wouldn't sell it for less than 10K. (not that anybody would buy it for that, but still...I wouldn't sell it for that.):p

Now, to answer the origional question......you need to spend about 150-175 more than you have to get a bike to suit your needs and size IMO. Forget about the bells and whistles and go for the weight. The LEAST amount of weight, of course.:D

Trek, Specialized, Cannondale, Gary Fisher are all good candidates on the used market for what you are looking for. Shop around though, I found an 850.00 bike for 350.00, that had never been used.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • treitz3
    edited March 2007
    liordra wrote:
    I guess for some people spending more then 500$ for a hi-fi audio system is also dumb.
    Willow wrote:
    I know many of these people !
    I resemble that remark!:D :p:D
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Schwingding
    Schwingding Posts: 363
    edited March 2007
    bobman1235 wrote:
    A single wheel for 1400 dollars.

That's just dumb.

You can buy the Lance Armstrong bike for like, 3500.
    Thats what you think. the LA bike you can buy for $3500 in no way resembles the bike he rides.

If you were in the top of you age group at triathlon, and you could buy a wheel that was very literally 1/2 mph faster than your other race wheels, thereby saving you over 20 miles about 1.5 min - enough to ensure you stay in that top spot or move up to 2nd or first, would you not? Especially when everyone else is riding the same thing(s)?

900Disc%20copy674.jpg
    HT/music rig
    Panasonic PX60U 50" plasma
    Yamaha 5990 AVR
    Onix SP3 tube amp
    bunch of Outlaw 2200 monoblocks
    DUAL SVS PB12+/2 subs :eek:
    Denon 3910 DVD/SACD/DVD-A
    DirecTV HR10-250 DVR
    Onix Strata Mini mains
    Mirage OM10 surrounds
    Polk CSi5 center
    Polk SC80 rear surrounds
    Samsung BDP1000 blu-ray player

Bedroom rig
    Jolida SJ302a tube amp
    Denon 2910 universal player
    Onix Ref 1 monitors
    Velodyne minivee
  • bikezappa
    bikezappa Posts: 2,463
    edited March 2007
    WheelS

How about $6000 for a set of wheels that weigh only 900grams total!

http://velonews.com/tech/report/articles/11883.0.html
  • liordra
    liordra Posts: 152
    edited March 2007
    treitz3 wrote:
    Everything is custom on this bike. NOTHING is origional equipment.

without a doubt both Hi-fi and cycling can cause a never ending upgrade franzy. the one thing that is proven to control those addictions is marriage.:D
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited March 2007
    ESAVINON wrote:
    No Gt fans here?

Anybody got an '86 GT Performer for sale?
  • treitz3
    edited March 2007
    Yup, for me, it all ends in two months.:eek: :D

Marraige, that is. No more splurging for me. Those horrible words will be spoken on May the 12th. "I ddd--dddd-ddd--ddd-ooo."
  • liordra
    edited March 2007
    treitz3 wrote:
    "I ddd--dddd-ddd--ddd-ooo."

another one bites to dust;)

just drink two shots of tequila and keep staring at her cleavage, that should make it easier for you to say "I DO".
    if that does not help remember the her dad, is that angry looking dude with the shotgun...

seriously though,
    congratulations.
  • treitz3
    edited March 2007
    liordra wrote:
    another one bites to dust;)

just drink two shots of tequila and keep staring at her cleavage, that should make it easier for you to say "I DO".
    if that does not help remember the her dad, is that angry looking dude with the shotgun...

seriously though,
    congratulations.
    Yeah, yeah, another one bites the dust. This one's worth it! She's even allowed me to purchase about 4K worth of audio gear.......get this.....BEFORE the wedding. Now, did I snag the right one or what?:D

TXS on the congrats!
  • liordra
    edited March 2007
    well.... I hate to break it to you kid .... stuff you can get away with BEFORE the wedding is not neccacerily an indication of the day ahead.... at least you got the lingo down: "She's even allowed me ....". I think I like this one, not wasting to much time.

by the way, I am so married that we need a new word for it. best thing I ever did.
  • SWFalken
    SWFalken Posts: 136
    edited March 2007
    bobman1235 wrote:
    A single wheel for 1400 dollars.

That's just dumb.

You can buy the Lance Armstrong bike for like, 3500.
    You can buy a bike with Armstrong's name on it for $3500, the bikes he races if you purchased all of the parts would be closer to $9 or 10 thousand. Even higher for his climbing rig and higher still for his tt.
    "I drank what?" Socrates :eek:
  • dudeinaroom
    dudeinaroom Posts: 3,609
    edited March 2007
    liordra wrote:
    without a doubt both Hi-fi and cycling can cause a never ending upgrade franzy. the one thing that is proven to control those addictions is marriage.:D

Really, mine got worse after I got married. They only 2 thing I see that slow either one down is kids, and loss of work, and I feeling both of them. So I got to try to sell some stuff to justify the receiver I bought.
  • SWFalken
    SWFalken Posts: 136
    edited March 2007
    If you get into cycling, it can be worse than owning a boat. My bike is a real personal thing. I like it to feel a certain way, and to that end i will spend whatever it takes to make it feel just right. I went through 3 different seatposts before i finally found the right one. Just make sure you get a solid platform to work from. I would personally start with a more expensive frame and less costly components. Without a good platform you will have nothing but frustration in the long run if you really find that you like riding.
    "I drank what?" Socrates :eek:
  • jeremie
    jeremie Posts: 246
    edited March 2007
    i agree, if you are into cycling you spend alot of money. I own a Scott CR1 Sl which sells for 6500 that i race on, a cannondale CAAD8 bike full Dura ace which i train on, a salsa dos niner currently being built which i race Mountain bike on 3k and about 1800 in extra wheels, Powertaps, etc... Its just like audio, you keep buying better.
    Receiver Yamaha 3070 *Emotiva xpa5 * Behringer iNuke 6000dsp *Monster Cable HTS 3500 -- line conditioner * Panamax 5300 * Apple 4K * Panasonic UB820 * JVC NX5 * Silver Ticket thin bezel 120”
    LSIM - Fronts 707 * Center 706c * Sides 702 * Rear 703 *FP RC85i * RP RC65i * Sub (2) SI HT18
  • bikezappa
    edited March 2007
    Biking to me is all about seeing the world while out in the fresh air and the wind in your face. You can get used to most any bike that is working properly. It's much more important to be riding on an interesting country road than being concerned with the lightness of the bike frame and componets.

And similar to HiFi it's much more important to be listening to good music that touchs your soul than to be concerded with the right cables or distortion rate of your amplifier.

Just go out and ride anything and clean out the tubes. You will feel better.
  • bikezappa
    edited March 2007
    It's not about the money you spend on equipment, it's about having fun with the equipment.
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited March 2007
    bikezappa wrote:
    Biking to me is all about seeing the world while out in the fresh air and the wind in your face. You can get used to most any bike that is working properly. It's much more important to be riding on an interesting country road than being concerned with the lightness of the bike frame and componets.

And similar to HiFi it's much more important to be listening to good music that touchs your soul than to be concerded with the right cables or distortion rate of your amplifier.

Just go out and ride anything and clean out the tubes. You will feel better.
    There's a man who probably doesn't pay more on audio/bike equipment per month than he does on his mortgage payment.

I imagine many envy you. :p
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • bikezappa
    edited March 2007
    Audiobliss you make me feel good. I used to race and had 6 bikes.

My favortie bike that I ride the most and to work and back is a single track bike with a front brake.
  • bikezappa
    edited March 2007
    The best in biking is riding with friends, getting thirsty and hungry and finally stopping and eating and drinking beer.

Doesn't matter what the bike is as long as it works, no flats.
  • audiobliss
    edited March 2007
    Wow, a single track bike for going to work? Where do you work?! :eek:
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • BIZILL
    BIZILL Posts: 5,432
    edited March 2007
    buy used. but don't get too cheap. the old adage applies: you get what you pay for.

POLK SDA-SRS 1.2TL -- ADCOM GFA-5802
    PANASONIC PT-AE4000U -- DIY WILSONART DW 135" 2.35:1 SCREEN
    ONKYO TX-SR805
    CENTER: CSI5
    MAINS: RTI8'S
    SURROUNDS: RTI8'S
    7.1 SURROUNDS: RTI6'S
    SUB: SVS PB12-PLUS/2 (12.3 series)

XBOX 360
    WiiPS3/blu-rayTOSHIBA HD-A35 hd dvd

http://polkarmy.com/forums/index.php
    bobman1235 wrote:
    I have no facts to back that up, but I never let facts get in the way of my arguments.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,182
    edited March 2007
    ESAVINON wrote:
    No Gt fans here?

Hell yeah!!! I own a 2004 GT Avalanche 2.0 which I have done some upgrades. I ride about 400 to 600 miles a year mostly offroad. We go up to Jim Thorpe in the Poconos, PA once a year or so.

I wanted to ride today but I got home late from work.
    BlazeCranks.jpg
    HPIM1206.jpg
    Dan
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited March 2007
    Did you all know that some bicycles have three wheels? They are called Tricycles.
  • audiobliss
    edited March 2007
    So, you mean, if they have three wheels, they're called tricycles?

Meaning, then, that they wouldn't be called bicycles?

Subsequently, the term 'bicycles' could never be used to refer to these tricycles.

From which you can reason that no bicycles have three wheels.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • seo
    seo Posts: 305
    edited March 2007
    mantis wrote:
    HPIM1206.jpg
    Dan
    Platform pedals, sweet! Same here. Long Live Hans Rey
    Signature goes here
  • seo
    seo Posts: 305
    edited March 2007
    As Lance says "It's not about the bike"

Get somethin' and ride!

Anybody here ride recumbents? My current 'bent
    ransrocket_lg.jpg
    Signature goes here
  • treitz3
    edited March 2007
    I can't help but laugh when I see **** like that.
  • bikezappa
    edited March 2007
    audiobliss wrote:
    Wow, a single track bike for going to work? Where do you work?! :eek:

I work in Devens MA and have a 25 mile total commute.

The track bike allows total communication to the road, up, down, and all the bumps. It's hard to **** however because it's difficult to relax. Farting requires standing up pedaling.

Track bikes never wear out however and need very little maintenance and are very cheap to buy.

Also dangerious in city riding.