Tell me about bicycles

swerve
swerve Posts: 1,862
edited March 2007 in The Clubhouse
So I took up running the past week. My g/f wants to take up biking. So after shelling out nearly 350 on new running gear I have to buy a bike now without breaking the bank. I have no more than 150 to 200 dollars for this.
We will ride streets and some trails pretty heavily once summer begins.

I am a larger guy 6'4" - 250... and I would like to know what type of bike to look for.

Thanks,
Adam
cats.vans.bag...
Post edited by swerve on

Comments

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited March 2007
    I'm a Trek fan but Specialized is another decent choice. The Rockhopper/Stumpjumper(MTN) pop into my head but I'm not sure of pricing. Keep your eyes on the local Craigslist for a deal on something used.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited March 2007
    are you looking for a mountain bike or a road bike or just a casual bike?
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • swerve
    edited March 2007
    i'd say mountain bike or casual.
    cats.vans.bag...
  • Bill Ayotte
    Bill Ayotte Posts: 1,860
    edited March 2007
    I used to sell Trek, and the 7200 is a good choice for casual riding. It was about $199 if I remember right. The navigator 200 is basically the same thing, only with fat tires. I will find a link to the new one in a second.....
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited March 2007
    in that price range you can get a striped down quality bike treck,gary fisher or you can get a bike from a non bike store with tons of features but very cheap. i say get a 300 buck gary fisher /trek bike and it will last you for years.my old treck lasted me 10 years now i have a ho ko eako by gary fisher speklled wrong
  • Bill Ayotte
    Bill Ayotte Posts: 1,860
    edited March 2007
    Sorry, it has been a while.......It has changed to the 7.2FX......here is the link. There is a women's specific design as well. You're probably a 21" frame size, they will most likely fit you there.....If they don't, don't bother with that place.
    http://www2.trekbikes.com/bikes/bike.php?bikeid=1323010&f=26
  • dane_peterson
    dane_peterson Posts: 1,903
    edited March 2007
    I've owned three Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo's in the past.... a 1990, a 1996, and a 2006. All were fantastic, though out of your pricerange. The entry level Gary Fisher would be a great choice.
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,994
    edited March 2007
    Well you could always look for a deal on last years models. That is waht we did when we bought our Giant MTBs I think I saved about 250$ on my wife's and about 300$ on mine. So for 1300$ worth of bikes we ended up paing about 700$ i know it's more than you mentioned but the point is look as clearance of last years models.
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited March 2007
    If you actually mean "pretty serious" trail riding, there's no way you're going to get anything worth your time in the 200 dollar range. A decent mountain bike will run you at least 5.

Check the used market, craigslist and whatnot. Should be lots of failed New YEars resolutions popping up any time now.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited March 2007
    Yep, Gary Fisher....forgot about that one and that's what I bought for my wife, ugh.

I've tried to kill my Trek for many many years and it refuses to die.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • wodom1
    wodom1 Posts: 1,054
    edited March 2007
    Specialized Hard Rocks are a good deal, but they start around $350. I've heard they are very good bikes for the money. Check out a local bike shop and avoid buying anything at a big box store (Target, Wal-Mart, SportMart, etc.).
    "I got into the music business thinking it was really radical, that it wasn't really a business at all, that it was a lot of people being artistic and creative. Not true, and it made me very depressed."

Thom Yorke of Radiohead

SOPA. Bow down before me, ****. Want a cookie?

Polk Audio LSi15
    Polk Audio LSiC
    Polk Audio FXi30
    Samsung LN-T4061F 40" 1080P LCD HDTV
    Sony Playstation 3
    Outlaw Model 990 Pre/Pro
    Rotel 985 MK II
    Rotel 1072 CDP
    Soundstage Vacuum II tube pre
  • bikezappa
    bikezappa Posts: 2,463
    edited March 2007
    bobman1235 wrote:
    If you actually mean "pretty serious" trail riding, there's no way you're going to get anything worth your time in the 200 dollar range. A decent mountain bike will run you at least 5.

Check the used market, craigslist and whatnot. Should be lots of failed New YEars resolutions popping up any time now.

He is correct. Used is your only hope. You need to know how to fit the size of the bike to your body and at 6'4" there are few bikes used that will fit you.

Bottom line you need more $ or get lucky.

Sorry
  • daboyz
    daboyz Posts: 5,207
    edited March 2007
    No Schwinns? I had a real nice one with a banana seat, four aces for the spokes(vroom,vroom), all the upgrades for probably 50 bucks. Best bike you could ever have!
  • swerve
    edited March 2007
    i guess i don't mean anything too hardcore when I say trail. i just know absolutely nothing about bikes thanks for all the info thus far.
    cats.vans.bag...
  • dudeinaroom
    dudeinaroom Posts: 3,609
    edited March 2007
    Treks are awesome, but I am happy with my Schwinn I Don't ride extreme, so it will last me forever. You can get a decent Schwinn pretty cheap.
  • Rivrrat
    Rivrrat Posts: 2,101
    edited March 2007
    If you want a decent bike in that price range, I'd start looking on Craigs List.

I used to ride a lot, and IMHO, you aren't going to find a good quality serious rider for a couple of hundred new. Maybe back in the 80's or early 90's, but not now.
    My equipment sig felt inadequate and deleted itself.
  • ESavinon
    ESavinon Posts: 3,066
    edited March 2007
    No Gt fans here?
    SRT For Life; SDA Forever!

The SRT SEISMIC System:
    Four main satellite speakers, six powered subs, two dedicated for LFE channel, two center speakers for over/under screen placement and three Control Centers. Amaze your friends, terrorize your neighbors, seize the audio bragging rights for your state. Go ahead, buy it; you only go around once.
  • apc
    apc Posts: 779
    edited March 2007
    Trek's are great, but don't forget to compare Giant. Many consider them to be equals, yet slightly less expensive.
    Husband, Father, Son, Brother, Friend.
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited March 2007
    You won't get a bike comfortable enough for your frame at that price new.

Used market is your best bet. Good luck.

For what it's worth, I love my Specialized.
  • liordra
    liordra Posts: 152
    edited March 2007
    As a larger man, I'd advise you to pick up a bike which is one level of aggression more then what matches your intended use. if you are going to primarily do cross-country riding, I'd get a light trail bike. if you're gonna do light trail I'd get an aggressive trail bike. and so on. (all mountain - free ride - down hill). when you do streets (urban) , you end up getting carried away and might even attempt 1 -2 ft drops, so you need wheels , suspension and frame that can handle the load.
    if you do not want to over extend your budget I'd consider a used one (buy only after an experienced mechanic checks the frame).

good luck
  • krabby5
    krabby5 Posts: 923
    edited March 2007
    I'm 6'3" and I can go anywhere from 225 up to 265 (depending on the year:eek: ) and I've had a Specialized Hard Rock Comp for 5 years. The wife has a slightly lower version as well..

I think I paid $500 or so...there are probably a ton on craigslist, but as someone else pointed out, you'll need the 21" frame..

great bike and I don't have to worry about breaking the damn thing during my "fat" months..:D
    Pioneer Elite VSX-53, Polk RT800i fronts, Polk CS400i center, FX500i surround, Velodyne sub
  • liordra
    edited March 2007
    Specialized Hard Rock is a fantastic model.
    its specialized's "do it all" model. sturdy and solid.
    I have ridden a Hard rock for two years. I still miss them.
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited March 2007
    Yep, mines the Hard Rock Pro.

I'm 6' 6" and around 265. I ride that bike damn near every day during the Spring, Summer, and Fall.

They can definitely take it. :)
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited March 2007
    Demiurge wrote:
    Yep, mines the Hard Rock Pro.

I'm 6' 6" and around 265. I ride that bike damn near every day during the Spring, Summer, and Fall.

They can definitely take it. :)

Damn... I thought all indie scenesters were 5'11' and 135 dripping wet:D
    Way to smash the stereotype:p
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • bikerboy
    bikerboy Posts: 1,211
    edited March 2007
    A mtn bike with 26 wheels and big tires will help with durablity. CL would be the first place to find a better quality used model a few years old for half price. Make sure it is a 21" or 22" frame. Good luck and have fun. :)
    Main system: Lyngdorf TDAI 2170 w/ Pioneer 42" plazma-> Polk LSiM 703 w/Tivo, Marantz tuner, BRPTT: Nothingham Spacedeck-> Pioneer PL L1000 linear arm-> Soundsmith DL 103R-> SUT->Bottlehead ErosDigital: I3 PC w/ Jriver playing flac -> Sonore Ultrarendu -> Twisted Pair Audio ESS 9028 w/ Mercury IVY Vinyl rips: ESI Juli@24/192-> i3 PC server
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,994
    edited March 2007
    apc wrote:
    Trek's are great, but don't forget to compare Giant. Many consider them to be equals, yet slightly less expensive.

That is what we did and ended up with Giant x2
  • Schwingding
    Schwingding Posts: 363
    edited March 2007
    You've gotten some pretty good advice, but I'm here chuckling because I just bought a single bicycle wheel for $1400.
    HT/music rig
    Panasonic PX60U 50" plasma
    Yamaha 5990 AVR
    Onix SP3 tube amp
    bunch of Outlaw 2200 monoblocks
    DUAL SVS PB12+/2 subs :eek:
    Denon 3910 DVD/SACD/DVD-A
    DirecTV HR10-250 DVR
    Onix Strata Mini mains
    Mirage OM10 surrounds
    Polk CSi5 center
    Polk SC80 rear surrounds
    Samsung BDP1000 blu-ray player

Bedroom rig
    Jolida SJ302a tube amp
    Denon 2910 universal player
    Onix Ref 1 monitors
    Velodyne minivee
  • liordra
    edited March 2007
    You've gotten some pretty good advice, but I'm here chuckling because I just bought a single bicycle wheel for $1400.

Who said that the law of diminishing returns applies to hi-fi only :)
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited March 2007
    A single wheel for 1400 dollars.

That's just dumb.

You can buy the Lance Armstrong bike for like, 3500.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • liordra
    edited March 2007
    bobman1235 wrote:
    A single wheel for 1400 dollars.

That's just dumb.

You can buy the Lance Armstrong bike for like, 3500.

I guess for some people spending more then 500$ for a hi-fi audio system is also dumb.