Vista just kicked me in the.....

Comments

• Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited February 2007
    It doesn't matter. Even set up as a server you still need to install the driver on your computer. Whether its local or through the network, you still need that driver. If it doesn't exist then no print for you.

That's funny right there. The Print ****.
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited February 2007
    jdhdiggs wrote:
    Well, I tried to use linex/unix/whatever from '95-98 and they can't touch the windows systems for ease of use. I just remember searching all over the inernet to find the driver for each piece of hardware or software I installed. In my eyes you might as well be telling people to go back to DOS.

Demi is absolutely right - my comment was more tongue in cheek than anything because the regular computer user will most likely never switch to Linux - but that being said, saying you used something from '95-'98 and using that as a basis for not using it now, a full TEN YEARS later, is patently absurd. In 1995 Windows was still in Windows 3.1 stages (Windows '95 didn't come out in '95, despite the name). Can you imagine using Windows 3.11 and using that as a basis for not using XP? They're not even RELATED. Linux has changed drastically in the past few years, and even someone with a tiny of computer knowledge COULD install some distributions if they were so inclined.... but it won't happen.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited February 2007
    Yes, I realize that ALL operating systems have evolved but my past experience with "off brand" OS's caused far more pain then working around the M$ pain and I have yet to see any reason why the public would change that. If other systems were truly better for the typical customer, there would be a following outside of IT and other computer "nerds".
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited February 2007
    An idea... I have a HP deskjet 960c printer which is hooked up with USB input. Would a USB printer work with USB output on Vista?

Or can a flash drive work on Vista computer? And if it worked can a XP computer see that file(s)?

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• jdhdiggs
    edited February 2007
    Aww crap, just got an E-mail form IT saying that my computer sucks (this is a known item) and I have a new Vista laptop (Surprise!)..... Wish me luck, this should be fun... (NOT!)
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • bobman1235
    edited February 2007
    The only issues you're going to have with a pre-built laptop is going to be external peripherals (printers, etc). At least all the innards are going to be compatible, or they wouldn't have built it :)
  • jdhdiggs
    edited February 2007
    Yeah, unfortunately we have a ton of in house grown software based off of SQL, C++, V-basic, etc... How that stuff will work is anyones guess and I get to be the guinea pig.
  • PhantomOG
    PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
    edited February 2007
    I'd be happy if I was important enough to get a laptop from work regardless of O/S :(
  • Sami
    Sami Posts: 4,634
    edited February 2007
    It doesn't matter. Even set up as a server you still need to install the driver on your computer. Whether its local or through the network, you still need that driver. If it doesn't exist then no print for you.
    Tell that to the scanner that would not work in x64 that is now happily cooperating in the network through a Linux server. In Windows most, if not all, softwares allowing you to share network scanner cost $$$. :D

With printers, how's the postscript nowadays implemented in Windows? If that works then I'm sure there's a way to connect non-compatible printers through Linux. Luckily the Brother laser we have (HL-2040) works without a problem with x64 thought the linux box.
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited February 2007
    I just bought a HP Photosmart C7180 All-in-One, it says its vista compatible...I dont plan on upgrading my system until Vistax64 gets all of its problems worked out...Im guessing I'll have XP for another couple years...
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited February 2007
    disneyjoe7 wrote:
    An idea... I have a HP deskjet 960c printer which is hooked up with USB input. Would a USB printer work with USB output on Vista?

Or can a flash drive work on Vista computer? And if it worked can a XP computer see that file(s)?

Yours is compatible according to HP. Flash drives do work.
  • BaggedLancer
    edited February 2007
    Sami wrote:
    Tell that to the scanner that would not work in x64 that is now happily cooperating in the network through a Linux server. In Windows most, if not all, softwares allowing you to share network scanner cost $$$. :D

With printers, how's the postscript nowadays implemented in Windows? If that works then I'm sure there's a way to connect non-compatible printers through Linux. Luckily the Brother laser we have (HL-2040) works without a problem with x64 thought the linux box.

I guess I can't really answer that but I can answer to the fact I have no intention of setting up a Linux server just so I can print. For now I will just put it in the shared drive and walk my lazy **** over to my XP computer and open it there and print.

Sure, it works, but that is a crazy thing to ask any consumer to have to do to use older devices.
  • Sami
    edited February 2007
    Sure, it works, but that is a crazy thing to ask any consumer to have to do to use older devices.
    It's also a crazy thing to ask the average customer to jump into Vista at this point where it's much more headache to setup than even the most complex Linux distro. It's a shame manufacturers, with the demand from MS I assume, are shoving Vista on most of the new machines. There is a reason why corporations make the jump years later after the OS is released, they can't afford the hassle like home user can.

For me, Linux box has always been on the closet running so no biggie. Apache, fileserver, printer/scanner etc. are all running on an older HW running Linux so I have as little possible running on my game rig.
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited February 2007
    Yours is compatible according to HP. Flash drives do work.

Funny it's 4 or 5 years old. :confused: And it states USB printer input not the parallel port, so I wonder if all HP USB capable printers are Vista compatible?

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• BaggedLancer
    edited February 2007
    disneyjoe7 wrote:
    Funny it's 4 or 5 years old. :confused: And it states USB printer input not the parallel port, so I wonder if all HP USB capable printers are Vista compatible?

Nope, my HP photo printer is USB and non compatible.
  • BaggedLancer
    edited February 2007
    Sami wrote:
    It's also a crazy thing to ask the average customer to jump into Vista at this point where it's much more headache to setup than even the most complex Linux distro. It's a shame manufacturers, with the demand from MS I assume, are shoving Vista on most of the new machines. There is a reason why corporations make the jump years later after the OS is released, they can't afford the hassle like home user can.

Agreed. I am just curious peoples opinions when they spend money on a new computer yet need to buy a new printer, scanner, copier as well because their older one that may be a few years old isn't supported with Vista. Nothing would irritate me more than ending up with a useless device that is still working because my old computer died and I replaced it with a new machine.

Most people don't have 2-4 computers in their house. Usually it's only 1. To be honest you, myself, and others are fortunate enough to be able to run their non-compatible devices on other machines so they don't go to waste.
  • xsmi
    xsmi Posts: 1,798
    edited February 2007
    Sami wrote:
    Yep. Buying a Mac is even a more expensive option than upgrading your hardware. I have x64 as my main machine but that doesn't bother me much since I have my printer and scanner hooked up to a Linux box and the household can use both through a network. That's what I would do with Vista, save your old machine as a server.

Nope.

Buy a Mac mini, $499 which is $100 more than full version of vista. Use your Keyboard, monitor, mouse and Printer from your PC. Install XP on it for the games you play using Bootcamp (free). and you are done. The Apps you use on the PC could be bought as mac apps when you feel like it. I don't know exactly what you have to do to upgrade your PC to Vista but price is not as big an issue on the Mac that it used to be if ever. I hate sounding like I've got all the answers. Let me shut up. I'm a mac fanboy... shut up and go hide in the corner.
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • bobman1235
    edited February 2007
    xsmi, Mac Mini's are neat and all.... but they're not exactly performance machines. There's a reason they're only 500-600 bucks.
  • jakelm
    jakelm Posts: 4,081
    edited February 2007
    I guess the most exciting thing for me was passing the windows genuine test.....nothing else really excited me....

The waiting....the anticipation...the anxiety....the hoping and praying the pass will be made....

That was the funniest thing I've heard in a long time.
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    Frankinpolk Center (2 mw6503's with peerless tweeter)
    M10's back surround
    Hafler-200 driving patio Daytons
    Tempest-X 15" DIY sub w/ Rythmik 350A plate amp
    Dayton 12" DVC w/ Rythmik 350a plate amp
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Denon upconvert DVD player
    Jennings Research (vintage and rare)
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

Dont BAN me Bro!!!!:eek:
  • Sami
    edited February 2007
    xsmi wrote:
    Buy a Mac mini, $499 which is $100 more than full version of vista.
    $599 according to Apple. Vista comes preloaded with the PC you buy.
    xsmi wrote:
    Install XP on it for the games you play using Bootcamp (free). and you are done.
    Dream on. With Intel GMA 950 as your GPU, really? Good luck with games when you install another framework on top of that as well.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,805
    edited February 2007
    I haven't had any hardware compatability issues with Solaris 10. It's pretty easy to use and with OpenOffice installed, I can use documents from all teh Micro$oft Office stuff and even save it in those formats for other users. I have full-fledged web browsers, all kinds of media support for music and movies and on top of that, it's interface is quite easy to use. About the only thing it doesn't do is games. It's secure. More secure than even Macs. It's fast and rock solid stable. Best part of all? It's FREE! No strings attached, free! Plus it's supported by Sun Microsystems, the company that built the OS.

You can find out more here:
    http://www.sun.com/

You can download it here:
    http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/get.jsp?intcmp=hp2007feb27_sol_get
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • xsmi
    edited February 2007
    Solaris 10 is a cool OS used at Kinkos when I worked there. We had a worm that came through our back office (Win2000 Pro) and crippled everything except our design station, (PowerMac G5) and the big copier running on solaris. The funny thing is we thought our fiery from Epson was on Linux but it went down as well.

Sami, I'm a casual gamer.
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • Sami
    edited February 2007
    xsmi wrote:
    Sami, I'm a casual gamer.
    If you're a Mac user then you must be. :p
  • BaggedLancer
    edited February 2007
    Sami wrote:
    If you're a Mac user then you must be. :p

Ouch.
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited February 2007
    lmao
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • xsmi
    edited February 2007
    He's right although the top teir games are released either at the same time or shortly after, you would have to have your head buried in the sand not to realize there arer tons more PC games than Mac. Things are changing in the other markets, and I hope they do in the games market as well, but for right now that is the case. There is a posting on Apples website for a games engineer so here's to hoping.
  • Sami
    edited February 2007
    Not only that but for Mac's there aren't any top consumer GPU's available so performance is going to be an issue even if you can use a simulator to play Windows games on Mac. For Linux you have Wine and it does allow you to play quite a few Windows games although it's not much better on that side either, otherwise I'd ditch Windows as well. A friend of mine is trying to configure his machine to run WOW and said it's bye-bye MS if he is successful.
  • BaggedLancer
    edited February 2007
    UPDATE:

Some guy got so mad at Turtle Beach for their failure to do Vista drivers he decided to write his own: http://cmediadrivers.googlepages.com/vistainstallation

I followed the steps and I am happy to say they work and now my digital fiber optic output on my TB sound card works :D

Only known issue with these driver is they arent digitally signed so it means every time I boot in order to use that sound card I need to disable driver signature enforcement......no big deal if you ask me.

THIS WAS THE LAST YELLOW !!!!!! IN MY DEVICE MANAGER which for most people who are using 64 bit vista is something they can't say. I'm happy :)
  • greg gulden
    greg gulden Posts: 8
    edited February 2007
    I got myself a new Pc a new printer and a 26 in. wide screen monitor for Xmas. It replaced my atleast 9 yr. old gateway pc that ran Win. 98 se. I have XP Media C.E. 2005I passed on the FREE UPGRADE . It sounds like I did the right thing for once. I am not PC smart but it looks like the upgrades not free. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$
  • BaggedLancer
    edited February 2007
    I got myself a new Pc a new printer and a 26 in. wide screen monitor for Xmas. It replaced my atleast 9 yr. old gateway pc that ran Win. 98 se. I have XP Media C.E. 2005I passed on the FREE UPGRADE . It sounds like I did the right thing for once. I am not PC smart but it looks like the upgrades not free. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Well it is free, I still haven't spent any additional money after installing Vista......few small things i have left on my list like printers, my digital camera, and my logitech harmony, but those are minor at this point. Im just happy I have all the devices working.

Remember too, your upgrade is a 32 bit, not 64 like mine so it is much more widely supported.