Vista just kicked me in the.....

BaggedLancer
BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
edited April 2007 in The Clubhouse
Well, got my 64 Vista running on my HTPC......only to find some interesting issues"

1. My sound card isn't supported by 64 bit Vista

2. All 3 HP printers in my house are not supported by 64 bit and according to HP will not be supported by Vista ever.(1 photo, 1 BW laser, 1 All-In-One)

3. There is no 64 bit driver for my WinTv media center remote

4. There is no driver for my Linksys wireless card and Linksys has stated they will not support this product in Vista.

5. More to come I'm sure.

In conclusion, I definately jumped on the bandwagon for the 64 bit vista WAYYYY too soon, but I am glad it's my HTPC(3rd active PC) and not one of my two main rigs.

Should be interesting to see how long it takes for some of these issues to fix themselves. Number 2 and 4 are the ones that really hurt cause its money wasted for stuff I already own that I should be able to use.

However, for the FIRST TIME EVER I passed Microsofts Genuine Test :rolleyes:
Post edited by BaggedLancer on

Comments

• beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited February 2007
    That`s it...

I`m sticking with XP Pro
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
  • BaggedLancer
    edited February 2007
    beardog03 wrote:
    That`s it...

I`m sticking with XP Pro

Yep my other 2 comps are as well. And there is no way in hell im buying a new printer just to use with Vista........so for now ill just put them on the shared house network and print from my main rigs.
  • beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited February 2007
    other than those issues...

is it all they say it`s supposed to be ?
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
  • BaggedLancer
    edited February 2007
    beardog03 wrote:

Other than those issues? those are some pretty serious issues if you ask me....demanding people upgrade to "vista compatible printers" thats hundreds of dollars unneccessarily spent when older printers still work great.....

I guess its "all its supposed to be". The backgrounds and 3d aero thing are cool....I dunno.

I guess the most exciting thing for me was passing the windows genuine test.....nothing else really excited me....
  • SWFalken
    SWFalken Posts: 136
    edited February 2007
    You could'nt have found this out before purchasing and installing. Its been widely reported all over the net that driver support is poor at best. This should not be a surprise.
    "I drank what?" Socrates :eek:
  • BaggedLancer
    edited February 2007
    SWFalken wrote:
    You could'nt have found this out before purchasing and installing. Its been widely reported all over the net that driver support is poor at best. This should not be a surprise.

Yes I know. As I was expecting, the rumors were true.

However, I find it amusing that by running MS's "WIndows Vista Upgrade Advisor" the linksys card and the printer drivers did not show up as "non-compatible".
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,277
    edited February 2007
    The only way i'm touching Vista is if we test stuff at work on it. Maybe in another year.
    No excuses!
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited February 2007
    64 bit and Vista. You should have just slammed your nads in a car door over and over. Its less painfull.
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • avguytx
    avguytx Posts: 1,628
    edited February 2007
    I hate Vista. I just bought a new Gateway laptop and it was a pain to get things working right. I'm about ready to take it down the road to a friend of mine and have him dump Vista off and put XP back on. At least then I can easily navigate everything without it asking me if I want to "Allow" something to happen. Maybe I need more time to get used to it but my first 2 week impression...I hate it. Did I already mention that? lol
    Richard? Who's your favorite Little Rascal? Alfalfa? Or is it........................Spanky?.................................Sinner.
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited February 2007
    Well, got my 64 Vista running on my HTPC......only to find some interesting issues"

1. My sound card isn't supported by 64 bit Vista

2. All 3 HP printers in my house are not supported by 64 bit and according to HP will not be supported by Vista ever.(1 photo, 1 BW laser, 1 All-In-One)

3. There is no 64 bit driver for my WinTv media center remote

4. There is no driver for my Linksys wireless card and Linksys has stated they will not support this product in Vista.

5. More to come I'm sure.

In conclusion, I definately jumped on the bandwagon for the 64 bit vista WAYYYY too soon, but I am glad it's my HTPC(3rd active PC) and not one of my two main rigs.

Should be interesting to see how long it takes for some of these issues to fix themselves. Number 2 and 4 are the ones that really hurt cause its money wasted for stuff I already own that I should be able to use.

That took brass balls to install that kid, I gotta hand it to you. I've got a free copy of Vista coming to me and I'm gonna sell it.
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited February 2007
    I suprised at how many of your products, particularly the HP ones, the companies will not support them in the future. I really am suprised by that.
  • liordra
    liordra Posts: 152
    edited February 2007
    beardog03 wrote:

Dunno what is supposed to be, but here is a small example of what was available years before the release of Vista: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZD7QraljRfM

P.S
    thumb rule: Never install a new version of windows until the first Service Pack is released
  • avguytx
    avguytx Posts: 1,628
    edited February 2007
    I couldn't even FIND a laptop with XP on it and I had to have a new one for work. My PC nerd buddies told me the best thing would be to not put any updates on my laptop. Something about that's what usually kills them or starts locking them up. I don't know that to be true but I'd rather have XP than Vista at this point.
    Richard? Who's your favorite Little Rascal? Alfalfa? Or is it........................Spanky?.................................Sinner.
  • Holydoc
    Holydoc Posts: 1,048
    edited February 2007
    AV,

Dell will put XP on their laptops instead of Vista if you request it. We just purchased 12 laptops for work and got XP on this instead of Vista. Might be worth looking into.
    Holydoc (Home Theatre Lover)
    Outlaw -770 (7x200watt) Amplifier
    PolkAudio - RTi12 (Left and Right)
    PolkAudio - CSi5 (Center)
    PolkAudio - FXi3 (Back and Surround)
    SVS - PB-12/Plus (Subwoofer)
    Bluejean Cables - Interconnects
    Logitech Harmony 880 - Remote
  • BaggedLancer
    edited February 2007
    While sufferring from some badass insomnia tonight for some reason decided to leave you guys with some eye candy.

Below is basically the story of Vista right now. Essentially I now have a nice new computer, with 1 terabyte of storage basically for the storing of "material of my choice" to listen through USB headphones.

Another solid note to mention as well, in order for simple software like DVD burning software.....all my software from XP is no longer supported and companies like Nero now offer "Vista-Compatible" burning software which costs $99.99.

Now some of you will say, just "download" it for free, but I hate to tell you, top of the line software choices that are vista compatible aren't available for download cause they are too new.
  • BaggedLancer
    edited February 2007
    Oh, and another note, I used an upgrade disc to perform a clean install using this "get-around":

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=5932

Works great. So any of you less than intelligent folk like myself who are taking the jump to Vista x64 just buy the upgrade disc and follow the above link......this way when you realize how unhappy you are with your product atleast you saved some $$.
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited February 2007
    Oh, and another note, I used an upgrade disc to perform a clean install using this "get-around":

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=5932

Works great. So any of you less than intelligent folk like myself who are taking the jump to Vista x64 just buy the upgrade disc and follow the above link......this way when you realize how unhappy you are with your product atleast you saved some $$.

I know I am just repeating what you are saying here, but make sure that if you use the upgrade disk that you format the harddrive, or install on another partition for a dual boot setup. Over writing xp with vista = big no no.
    I build/repair/network computers for a living. This isn't a hobby for me.

Ben
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited February 2007
    Man sorry to hear that Vista is giving you that many problems. I remember that when I installed XP for the first time it took quite a while for them to get the bugs out and get drivers for everything. I'm going to wait for at least service pack 1 to come out and then I might consider upgrading but right now im quite happy with XP pro
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,668
    edited February 2007

Yes, it's always made me feel better as a human being when Bill Gates "validates" me and tells me I'm "Genuine".

...sniff.....sniff.....

.....thanks, Bill.

:)

Vista ? Maybe, in 2 years.
    Sal Palooza
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited February 2007
    While I agree this sucks, I think it's probably about time for Microsoft to do something like this.

Apple did it with OSX - broke all backwards compatibility so they could actually takea large step forward in their design. Microsoft, for all its faults, has been COMPLETELY software compatible (maybe not DRIVER compatible, but software) since Windows 3.1. Hell, you can still run DOS programs on XP for the most part. So for them to start breaking compatibility for SOFTWARE now, might actually be a GOOD thing, because it means they overhauled some of the more important features of the OS.

As for not releasing drivers for popular hardware.... that's just inexcusable.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • BaggedLancer
    edited February 2007
    ben62670 wrote:
    I know I am just repeating what you are saying here, but make sure that if you use the upgrade disk that you format the harddrive, or install on another partition for a dual boot setup. Over writing xp with vista = big no no.
    I build/repair/network computers for a living. This isn't a hobby for me.

Ben

I used the upgrade disc and formatted the harddrives, no dual boot, no overwriting XP, just Vista on an empty slate.
    This is not a hobby for me either, I'm part of the IT department at the local Gillette R&D facility.
  • BaggedLancer
    edited February 2007
    bobman1235 wrote:
    While I agree this sucks, I think it's probably about time for Microsoft to do something like this.

Apple did it with OSX - broke all backwards compatibility so they could actually takea large step forward in their design. Microsoft, for all its faults, has been COMPLETELY software compatible (maybe not DRIVER compatible, but software) since Windows 3.1. Hell, you can still run DOS programs on XP for the most part. So for them to start breaking compatibility for SOFTWARE now, might actually be a GOOD thing, because it means they overhauled some of the more important features of the OS.

As for not releasing drivers for popular hardware.... that's just inexcusable.

While I completely agree with you Bobman, there is some very expensive hardware out there, mainly printers, that there should be support for. I mean a huge thing in Vista is the media center for viewing movies, pictures, and music, yet they are not supporting some of the nicer photosmart printers from HP and they are only offering 1 burning software at an insanely inflated price? absolutely unacceptable and REDICULOUS.
  • Sami
    Sami Posts: 4,634
    edited February 2007
    Holydoc wrote:
    AV,

Dell will put XP on their laptops instead of Vista if you request it. We just purchased 12 laptops for work and got XP on this instead of Vista. Might be worth looking into.
    I just got my wife a laptop for her b-day. HP with XP MCE in it, right off the shelf. Most were loaded with Vista but I purposely stayed away from those.
  • BaggedLancer
    edited February 2007
    I guess I should make it clear that I am really not complaining about the situation, more disappointed than anything. This is a 3rd PC for me so it isn't essential having it run top notch right now.

I just wanted to give everyone a heads up before they sent in those "free upgrade coupons" and did something they regret right now.

Mark
  • BaggedLancer
    edited February 2007
    Adding fuel to the fire:

Logitech Harmony Remote software does not support Vista x64. After calling Logitech they tell me it is supported into the 32 bit OS but not the 64 bit OS.

:rolleyes:
  • Deadof_knight
    Deadof_knight Posts: 980
    edited February 2007
    Good lord though you would think at least one of the printers woulda worked and the sound card oh my god ! what are they thinking. talk about lack of driver support
    :cool: " He who dies with the most equipment wins Right ? "

Denon 3300 Adcom 535 BBe w/sub out 1 pr 4.6s 2 pr of 4 jrs Recent additions Samsung Lns-4095D LCD, Samsung hd-960 DVD, Monster HT-5000 Power center
    ,HPSA-1000 18" sealed DiY home sub.:D
    Black Laquer 1.2tl's w/ upgraded x-overs and Tweets BI-Amped with 2 Carver tfm-35's Knukonceptz 10ga cables
  • BaggedLancer
    edited February 2007
    Add another one:

Sony DSC-W100, purchased this past xmas, no software currently for Vista x64.

Isn't this fun! :rolleyes:
  • Deadof_knight
    Deadof_knight Posts: 980
    edited February 2007
    Now this should wrong anything in the last year should work with Vista I mean really. If not what have the been trying for compatibility then ? theoretical equipment?
    :cool: " He who dies with the most equipment wins Right ? "

Denon 3300 Adcom 535 BBe w/sub out 1 pr 4.6s 2 pr of 4 jrs Recent additions Samsung Lns-4095D LCD, Samsung hd-960 DVD, Monster HT-5000 Power center
    ,HPSA-1000 18" sealed DiY home sub.:D
    Black Laquer 1.2tl's w/ upgraded x-overs and Tweets BI-Amped with 2 Carver tfm-35's Knukonceptz 10ga cables
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited February 2007
    Holydoc wrote:
    AV,

I was considering purchasing a new desktop. Contacted Dell and was told there were NO desktops available with XP...Vista or nothing. I told them I would pass. They may do it for a bulk business order but did not seem willing at the time to for an individual computer...even though their ads are big on YOU customize YOUR computer. We have 4 Dells now...I may have to go elsewhere.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • BaggedLancer
    edited February 2007
    shack wrote:
    I was considering purchasing a new desktop. Contacted Dell and was told there were NO desktops available with XP...Vista or nothing. I told them I would pass. They may do it for a bulk business order but did not seem willing at the time to for an individual computer...even though their ads are big on YOU customize YOUR computer. We have 4 Dells now...I may have to go elsewhere.

Can you get it with Vista and maybe buy XP separate?