HELP! Moving and in need of ?'s answered.

avelanchefan
avelanchefan Posts: 2,401
edited April 2007 in The Clubhouse
Ok me and the family are moving to a bigger city. What do you guys recommend when it comes to:

1)Cable vs. Dish: I am leaning toward a dish, can I get my local stations with a dish or do I need to little rabbit ears on top of my tv to get em. See If I need a local antannea(sp?)
I would be leaning more toward getting cable for convenience. But I have heard that some cities offer local stations through certain dish companies. And what is the cost comparison between dish and cable.

2) Now I need new internet service. I am currently using cable modem.Looking at DSL modems. How do you like DSL modems? What is the price range for DSL? Can I get DSL through Qwest...or do I go through a local company? Should I go with something else besides DSL? (Not doing modem again!)

Any and all help appreciated.
Sean
XboxLive--->avelanchefan
PSN---->Floppa
http://card.mygamercard.net/avelanchefan.png
Post edited by avelanchefan on

Comments

• GuitarheadCA
    GuitarheadCA Posts: 400
    edited August 2002
    I don't know about internet, but I might be able to help with Dish vs. Cable.

Typically, the inital hardware costs more for dish, and then the monthly is cheaper. Example, $49-$149 for the dish, and $49-$499 for the reciever. In most metropolitan areas you CAN get the local channels through the dish. I know you can here near LA, but you should probably double check where you are moving. Also, both DirecTV and Dish Network run promotional offers almost non stop. For example at CC we offer the dish, reciever, and installation free for one room, provided you sign up for a year's subscription through DirecTV.

Also- Want the option of High Definition Broadcasting? That's not availible through cable.

I don't know as much about cable, but hopefully that shines some light for you.
  • cturner
    cturner Posts: 10
    edited August 2002
    Can't help much on the dish/cable part (I have Direct TV and love it), but as far as internet, that's what puts food on my table. Cable tends to be a little cheaper, especially if you get digital cable tv. You can get a package deal. The bandwidth on cable is community shared, kind of like a community networked together. It's not the best when it comes to security (you can see other people's computer in you Network Neighborhood window) and the bandwidth goes down during high traffic times. DSL is a little better when it comes to security. You actually authenticate your connection with the PPP server at the phone company, and you don't have the same problem with bandwidth during peek traffic times like you do with cable. However, DSL modems are a little more expensive, and the service may cost a little more, but I think it's worth it. You also have to be around 15,000 feet or less from a main telco switch to get DSL. Your provider will have to check your phone line to see if you qualify. This can sometimes take a few days. Hope this was some help to you.

CT
  • avelanchefan
    edited August 2002
    Hey thanks for the responce guys.

CTurner what is the basic cost of DSL? I am moving to Tucson by the way and looked up DSL providers. A Lot of them out there with price structures that vary to the extremes.

Looking at the basic 256kbs package. It looks to me that the DSL company charges you for the internet sevice (about 20 bucks). Then Qwest or your local telephone company charges you an extra 20 bucks for the use of telephine line, and equipment. So basically you are charged 40 dollars a month for internet service.

Am I right on this or am I **** the whole DSL system up?
    Sean
    XboxLive--->avelanchefan
    PSN---->Floppa
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,624
    edited August 2002
    I live in Phoenix and I have the Cable Modem. Price point, they are about the same, but the DSL is a few bucks more a month because of the way that they charge. They charge for the DSL service and then charge you for them being your ISP.

I have had my Cable Modem for about a year and a half and I won't ever consider anything else. Thats based entirely on the fact that it's MUCH faster than DSL. I had a friend that had DSL and the speed comparison is ridiculous. I would die of boredom with DSL, but that's just me.

Good luck with the decision......

B
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,765
    edited August 2002
    Originally posted by brettw22

I have had my Cable Modem for about a year and a half and I won't ever consider anything else. Thats based entirely on the fact that it's MUCH faster than DSL.
    B

Brett,

I am trying to decide between cable and DSL. The DSL companies all knock cable because of the shared bandwidth among users in a neighborhood. Do you notice any significant speed slowdowns during peak useage times (which I would assume to be in the early evening hours 7 pm to 9 pm). Thanks.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited August 2002
    I have had a cable modem for 4 years, and used to install DSL for Ma Bell.....

I'll take cable ANY day of the week, even during peak times, bandwidth has never been an issue..... EVERY person I know that has/had dsl, and not just in Tx, has had problems. Constant LENGHTY outtages, modems taking forever to sync after being re-set, mail server issues.....

Not saying DSL doesn't work great for some, but I'll put my money on cable.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • avelanchefan
    edited August 2002
    Well I guess that answers the DSL vs. Cable question for me. I will be sticking with the cable modem.
    Sean
    XboxLive--->avelanchefan
    PSN---->Floppa
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited August 2002
    Russ????

You old pro installer, you.

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH

man, Ima get some mileage out of THAT one, I tell ya.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • cturner
    cturner Posts: 10
    edited August 2002
    Your location and provider matters alot when it comes to DSL. If you're talking about the 256K plan, it may be SDSL, which is same speed upload and download, and yes, it will top out at 256k, where as a cable modem can go upwards of 1.5mb download. I have residential DSL through BellSouth (Louisiana) and they are my ISP and carrier and my cost is $35/month. I get 256k upload and 1.413mb download, and I've never had any problems. Time Warner provides cable service in my area. When I ran an ISP we had gaming servers. Our customers who had cable would always complain that in the afternoons, thier ping times would go through the roof, from around 20ms up to around 750ms. Our customers who had DSL would never have a problem. Our backbone was connected through UUNet, BellSouth, CenturyTel and AT&T. Cable is more popular than DSL. DSL gets a lot of bad rap. Of course, if it was my only choice, I would be more than happy with it!!! I'm just spoiled i guess, I use to have a full T1 to my house (1.5mb up and down) but of course they are $1,300/month.
  • RuSsMaN
    edited August 2002
    Troy,

Do you know??? DO YOU???

I'm just pissed to find out my B&W's can't handle rock music, what do I do now?

Cheers,
    R-Smooth
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • TroyD
    edited August 2002
    Not to worry Russ,

Send them to me. Ima hang them from the ceiling pointed away from the listening area.

BDT
  • RuSsMaN
    edited August 2002
    Well, I bagged those RTA8's, so you'll be getting your $120 601s2 on soon, REAL soon my brotha....

Just go easy on the hard-rock, will ya? The Sesame Street theme sounds GREAT on em.....

Cheers,
    Rooster
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited August 2002
    Cable - all the way. More reliable, faster, and more widely available than DSL.

I love it - TOTALLY smokes dial-up. If anyone has dial-up, you are living in the 90's. Deep six it NOW and go cable - you will NEVER regret it. Premium over dial-up is MAYBE $15 a month.

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • TroyD
    edited August 2002
    man, my pants are going CRAZY......

We'll be getting our RTA on SOON. Course mines bigger.

BDT
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,183
    edited August 2002
    Damn,
    check you guys out ripping on a brother like that.So let the kicking begin as usual.......

1st of all my opnion is that B&W sucks at rock music,your opnion is different......you see dead people!!!

2nd you can hang them from the ceiling if you want but they just might look alittle silly.

Pro Installer???Guys where not hiring right now, and if we where we would look for quality experienced people,not run the mouth on what you think........In our world EXPERIENCE is key.

TroyD,
    Better take Russ's advice on the hard rock.....his vision is clouded,yours need not 2 be anymore then it is.

Russ,
    tell me did you demo the rta8's??Did you see dead people with them?Or did you see yourself in there shoes???Just curious.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,434
    edited August 2002
    Mantis.....you'd better duck!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mantis
    edited August 2002
    Sorry to dissapoint you and thanks for the heads up F1nut,BUT my boots are made by Wolverine......and they can kick with the best of them Bro.I don't duck,I side step and attack the attack.
    Dan
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,624
    edited August 2002
    Do you notice any significant speed slowdowns during peak useage times (which I would assume to be in the early evening hours 7 pm to 9 pm).

Very rarely have I ever had problems, regardless of time of day. True there are outages at times, but nothing that I'd **** about. I heard the whold spiel from Qwest at the time I was looking and to me it's not that big of a deal. I haven't ever had the big 'security risks' that they rant and rave about. Besides, even if someone did get in, all they'd have access to is **** and music. Who cares.......... :-)

B
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited August 2002
    Sprint PCS Launches Nationwide 3G data and I'm about ready to have a nervous breakdown. I'm interested to see what this stuff is going to cost.
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • RuSsMaN
    edited August 2002
    Originally posted by mantis
    Damn, check you guys out ripping on a brother like that.So let the kicking begin as usual.......
    1st of all my opnion is that B&W sucks at rock music,your opnion is different......you see dead people!!!

Why? You never said why? Why do you think B&W sucks on 'hard rock'? Is it the Kevlar woven drivers? Maybe the Titanium domes?

2nd you can hang them from the ceiling if you want but they just might look alittle silly.

Yeah, but they will image like a bi-atch.....
    Pro Installer???Guys where not hiring right now, and if we where we would look for quality experienced people,not run the mouth on what you think........In our world EXPERIENCE is key.

Where not hiring? Speak and spell brotha.... Try laying off the Tweeter Tea for a while man. Experience? More than you will ever know.... and not just rippin' boxes with a blade either...
    TroyD,
    Better take Russ's advice on the hard rock.....his vision is clouded,yours need not 2 be anymore then it is.

My vision is clouded, and Troy SHOULD take my advice? So they do or don't blow on hard rock? Let me ask you what you would ask me... Do you own any B&W? DO YOU????? I question what you do actually own.
    Russ,
    tell me did you demo the rta8's??Did you see dead people with them?Or did you see yourself in there shoes???Just curious.

Dead people, Carver amps, Slayer.... I take it that one was a fly by for ya, buzzed the tower eh? Sure I've heard the RTA8's/Monitor 8's.... Do you have something better to offer for $122? Please speak up. There shoes?

In closing, how about a pic of that 'dual mono' Rotel you own, all 100+ lbs of it, and what is it, LSi15's? I'm really saddend you didn't invite Troy by for a demo, but perhaps Aaron could come, he lives in your neck of the woods..... And please keep us updated on your what, 18+ month house build?

Have a great night my dear storyteller....

Cheers,
    Russ
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited August 2002
    COCKA DOOOOODLE DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My friend.
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • nascarmann
    nascarmann Posts: 1,464
    edited August 2002
    Have a great night my dear storyteller....

:lol:
    Oh, the bottle has been to me, my closes friend, my worse enemy!
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,434
    edited August 2002
    Oh man, here we go again.....:(
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mantis
    edited August 2002
    I just never ends in here.......it gets quit for a while,then the Twisted twins gotta rip on me, then when I post back with alittle humor, they get all Twisted up.

Russ,
    as I have already posted,I don't care for B&W's for Rock music,hard rock or death metal to me seems to loose it's high's and jarble up the mid range.I didn't get why they do this as they sound so good playing Jazz,Classical,soft rock,even pop music came across well.
    I don't own any B&W speakers, but I have listened to everything they make in there current models and some from the past.Liv4fam owned the 602s2's,had a killer pair of stands Ultimate Foundations,and I had them here for the weekend to compare them to the rt35i's and the rt1000p's.For the most part they kicked the **** out of the rt35i's in just about everyway.They didn't have there way with the 1000's as they fell off alot.I even ran this demo with my B&K st140.

Just remember who brought up my job as usual,it's you guys who can't let that go.....More then I know your experience??not by the way you post.....you fooled me.I don't even own a box cutter,I use a drywall saw.There's alot more to it then getting the box open....but with your simple minds, I understand why the fascination with the box cutters....

So you picked them up for 122.00??thats sounds like a good deal.....nice my man....I like them 2,2 years ago I had a chance at a pair of rta11t's I believe they where called,oak cabnets, perfect shape but the owner just wouldn't let them go....o well.

A pic you want???Ok I will borrow Liv4fams digital camera today,take pictures of my new poured basement..that I don't have,I can take some system pic's.....Rotel at 100 lbs???fool I guess you don't know there lines to well my boy,It's weighs all of about 20lbs wet.It's dual mono @ 60 watts.Bridgeable to 120 @8ohms.Model number you want?the amp is a RB-960BX, and the preamp is the RC-971.Check this all out.I bought it USED for 4 bills.....can you dig that?????I know the guy who owns the stero exchange.It had a good home and I love the way it sounds.I bought it due to the fact that nobody carries Lsi's and Rotel,So I had to mate them here in my house.I wanted to hear this as I'm going to spend alot of money on my new system and wanted to get it right the first time around.My systems of past I couldn't find the sound I wanted and made some mistakes.

TroyD could have and still can come over,same with you and Aaron.Aaron will be here before any of you...he's not an ****,like you guys are.I met Aaron awhile back,he's a cool dude.We had a great time together Demoing.

Storyteller????what...I have dream gear? give me a break man,what I own anyone fo your could own as well.I don't own Krell or Wilson Audio......but don't worry I can prove what I have with the camera..And if thats not enough,I'll invite Aaron over and you can talk to him.

The STORYTELLER!!!
    Dan
  • mantis
    edited August 2002
    O just by the way,
    how many people know what color the Lsi's boxes come in?
    I DO,DO YOU?????????
    Dan
  • mantis
    edited August 2002
    O just by the way,
    how many people know what color the Lsi's boxes come in?
    I DO,DO YOU?????????

Gee lets see.......one is red lettering....one is black lettering.....gee how could I possibly know that,the red is right speaker and the black is left speaker....thats just a story,I made that one up.gee!!!

The Great StoryTeller.
    Dan
  • RuSsMaN
    edited August 2002
    Oh, its ok man. When you said Rotel dual-mono, I thought you really meant it, which would be a 100+ lb beast.

Are you sure that model is a dual-mono design? What I have read about it mentions nothing along those lines. Good amp nonetheless, and I'm glad to see you found a good deal used... but as far as I know, dual mono it is not.

Interesting how we moved from Dynaudio to LSi, especially when your prior reviews stated Dyn pretty much kicked everything out there.... And still no glowing review of the LSi, I thought you be jumping at the bit to get the 'word' out....

On the RTA's, yeah it seems like a GREAT deal, I just have to hope they are packed well, and arrive in one piece at this point... Otherwise, I'll have some Polk drivers up for sale in the flea market...

I guess I forgot my 'smilies' last night, it was meant in good humor... just kicked up a notch. ;)

Cheers,
    Russ
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited August 2002
    About internet cable security - I use ZoneAlarm. The basic firewall is a freeware download, but there are also pay versions with the same firewall, but with extras like cookie delete, pop up window supression, and hacker tracker.

Their firewall design has won many industry awards and prevents any unauthorized access to your PC from the cable modem, and it also lets YOU decide which programs you allow to connect to the net and act as local servers, etc.

It also tells you when someone has attempted to access your PC, and generates a report about the nature of the attempt. Some hits are just more or less random internet noise, and others are much more serious. Somedays I might get a dozen attempts - ALL are blocked by ZoneAlarm.

If you keep any personal documents on your PC, I highly recommend a good firewall.

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • TroyD
    edited August 2002
    Kicking? dead people? cloudy vision?

Jeezuz, I can't leave you guys for a minute!

Dan,
    I was just kidding around, if it bothers you I'm sorry but that's just the way it is. Everyone gets thier fair share. Call me an ****, eh? Well, you might be right about that, I suppose.

BUT, I DO know what the LSi boxes look like, VERY similar to the RTi boxes, actually.

BDT
  • TroyD
    edited August 2002
    I've also been giving the beemer thing some thought as well....just WHY wouldn't they play rock well? I mean it's a pretty standard 2-way design, not unlike a lot of other bookshelves on the market. I mean, if you don't think that they play some types of music well, that's cool but I don't understand what it is about the speaker that would make one think that.

I WOULD like to see this dual mono Rotel though....I'm in agreement that a true dual mono amp has got to be one big heavy ****. I'm not saying it doesn't exist, mind you, I'm just curious about it.

BDT