Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,624
    edited February 2007
    MacLeod wrote:
    If Im not mistaken Brett, the pre 2003 Accords had a smaller, 2.3 SOHC engine with 135 hp with a 25/31 mileage rating. Mine is a bigger 2.4 liter DOHC making 166 hp and rated at 26/34.
    My engine is a 4-Cyl. 2.3L ULEV that's 150hp. I think in the Dx and the LX it was a smaller engine, but I don't remember.

When I'm driving on the freeway, I'm usually doing 80, and those 4cyls just burn more to do that speed vs a 6 cuz it has to work harder to keep itself going........

I'd love to get 30mpg on a regular basis, but it's only happened once, so oh well.

On the head unit thing, how does it work to have only one radio functional over the other? If the AC and Radio are tied into the same unit basically, is it likely that it's one harness or would they split it up? If they have it as just one, how do you tie into that and would that kill the factory display (also your AC display) so you can run the Alpine as your primary?
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited February 2007
    if the speaker wires going to the factory radio are cut...well, you should get the picture
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited February 2007
    brettw22 wrote:
    My engine is a 4-Cyl. 2.3L ULEV that's 150hp. I think in the Dx and the LX it was a smaller engine, but I don't remember.

When I'm driving on the freeway, I'm usually doing 80, and those 4cyls just burn more to do that speed vs a 6 cuz it has to work harder to keep itself going........

I'd love to get 30mpg on a regular basis, but it's only happened once, so oh well.

Ah, now I see! I rarely drive over 75 and usually stay under 70. I had not gotten a speeding ticket in 13 years - then I get a CDL and start driving for a living and I get 3 in 3 years!!! Luckily since one was under 75 mph (70 in a 55) on the freeway, it doesnt show up on my record. However, those were enough to scare me into driving the speed limit cause tickets can not only cost me my current job but they can assure my of not getting another driving job for 3 years! And plus, Ill drive this the same way I did my Ram - like its made out of glass. I spent many years in clunker cars and now that Im able to drive nice cars, I have a respect for them and treat them very delicately.
    On the head unit thing, how does it work to have only one radio functional over the other? If the AC and Radio are tied into the same unit basically, is it likely that it's one harness or would they split it up? If they have it as just one, how do you tie into that and would that kill the factory display (also your AC display) so you can run the Alpine as your primary?

Like Cody said, the stock HU is powering the speakers. Disconnect those wires and the radio wont be powering anything.

I think Im going with the pocket mount. I read the reviews on Crutchfield's website and they generally said the HVAC controls were half assed and didnt always work all the time or properly. From the picture you can tell it doesnt look all that well made either. One review even said he used if for 3 days and because of the trouble, went back to the stock HU!

Plus, I do kinda like being able to close the pocket and being able to keep the stock appearance. Plus, its only $30. So if I dont like it, Im not out that much.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited February 2007
    I find it interesting that you now drive a small car, with the fact you drive a large commercial truck. When you drive the large truck do you think I could run over that little **** of car and not feel it?

Not that I feel Honda is a **** car mind you but you get the idea.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• MacLeod
    edited February 2007
    LOL! That is the weirdest feeling. Driving down the freeway next to all these big pickups and 18 wheelers feeling like they could squish you if they werent paying attention. But thats why you carry a gun with you. A few bullet holes fired thru a back windshield tends to get attention. :p
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited February 2007
    MacLeod wrote:
    LOL! That is the weirdest feeling. Driving down the freeway next to all these big pickups and 18 wheelers feeling like they could squish you if they werent paying attention. But thats why you carry a gun with you. A few bullet holes fired thru a back windshield tends to get attention. :p

Well what can I say weird :rolleyes:

BTW I have a CDL license myself Class B so most truck people don't like little cars. Well that was my feeling anyway. ;)

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• MacLeod
    edited February 2007
    I think Im going to try using the stock HU first. Walmart has a Scoshe LLC for like $10 and the factory speaker wires for the back deck speakers are right there so it wouldnt be a problem and if there is too much noise I can always go with the Metra kit and Id only be out $10 for the LLC.

I just really like the idea of having the 100% stock look for some reason.

• Thom
    Thom Posts: 723
    edited February 2007
    exalted512 wrote:
    According to the act that Thom listed, thats illegal. I guess my g/f must have been mistaken that she had to get it done to keep the warranty, that or they told her she had to because shes a dumb blonde...who knows
    -Cody

They probably tell everyone the same thing, girl or not. Some sales guys don't know, and the ones that do are just being team players by trying to scare everyone into getting service done at that dealer.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited February 2007
    disneyjoe7 wrote:
    Well what can I say weird :rolleyes:

BTW I have a CDL license myself Class B so most truck people don't like little cars. Well that was my feeling anyway. ;)

We have a trash truck driver that drives 4 axle Mack trucks all day and his daily driver is a hot-rodded mid-90's Honda Civic CRX.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • MacLeod
    edited February 2007
    The first time I was over the road as a truck driver I was out for over 3 weeks. For 3 weeks I lived in an 18 wheeler and drove nothing else. I came into town finally and parked the truck and me mum came and picked me up in here tiny little Nissan Sentra. It was the most insane feeling Ive ever had driving that Sentra!

I felt like I was in a little go-cart or something and that Id have to pick my feet up everytime we'd go over a speedbump.

While we were driving on the freeway she asked why I was driving so slow. I was doing like 45! When youre 8 feet up in the air, 70 mph doesnt look very fast but whenyoure 8 inches off it does so I was going 45 mph thinking I was hauling ****!

Plus I kept killing the engine because I kept trying to take off without giving it gas like you do in a big rig and kept trying to float the gears (changing them without the clutch) so I was grinding the hell out of them.

• MacLeod
    edited February 2007
    I think Im going to go with the JL Audio Clean Sweep.

Ive been reading a ton of forums today and swapped a few emails with Manville Smith (VP Marketing of JL) and I think its the best solution.

It takes the OEM speaker level inputs and thru DSP, EQ's them to as flat a response as possible. JL guarantees it will get +/- 1 db from 25 to 20,000 Hz.

Then it throws it thru an 8 volt line driver and out to my processor. Another very cool feature is it doesnt require a remote lead. It has a current sensing feature thatll turn the unit on when it sense current thru the OEM speaker leads and best of all, it has a remote out that can be used to turn on my amps! That means the only wires I have to run up the lenght of the car is 1 power wire and 4 speaker wires. Nice.

I just think it looks more smooth and professional NOT to have an aftermarket HU crammed into a storage compartment. Plus I just think it would be very cool if I could do really well in competition with an OEM CD player! :D

• brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,624
    edited February 2007
    The one thing I hate that i lost when I removed the factory deck was the 6 disc in dash changer..........loved that thing............
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited February 2007
    You really are lost, aren't you? More JL equipment?? *shakes head*

Why do you lik ethe CleanSweep more than RF's stuff?
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • MacLeod
    edited February 2007
    Spare me the "JL sucks bandwagon" lines. JL Audio has been setting benchmarks in car audio for over a decade. Next to Polk, theyre my favorite audio brand.

The 360.1 is a nice piece but it only has 5 volt outputs as opposed to the JL's 8 volt and thats a BIG deal. When converting from high to low level inputs youre gonna have hiss which can kill you in SQ judging. Boosting the output signal as much as possible can overcome this.

The 360.1 also doesnt have current sensing for a turn on nor does it offer an output for remote turn on for my amps. That means a lot less hassle with the install.

And the JL does a damn good job of flattening factory EQ curves.

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_cleansweep_pages.php?page_id=90

And considering they both cost $300, the JL is the better piece.

Now if I wanted a user adjustable EQ and didnt have a processor, then Id go with the RF.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited February 2007
    BTW I never showed mine done. Well at least the outside...FBTC!
  • MacLeod
    edited February 2007
    Looks good. Kinda like an SRT Ram!

Still the best looking rigs on the road. I miss mine. :(

So what plans do you have for this one? Anything on the drawing board yet?

• audiobliss
    edited February 2007
    MacLeod wrote:
    Spare me the "JL sucks bandwagon" lines. JL Audio has been setting benchmarks in car audio for over a decade. Next to Polk, theyre my favorite audio brand.
    Don't get all up in the air, now. You should know I'm just poking fun at you.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • audiobliss
    edited February 2007
    Josh wrote:
    Wow, a flat-black paint job! That's sweet! Only the second car I've ever seen that on.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • joeaudio26
    joeaudio26 Posts: 97
    edited February 2007
    MacLeod wrote:

At least in a small car if the crash is bad enough, you that have high medical bills, cause you cease to exist ....

I drive a small Nissan hatchback, 38 MPG love the gas savings, but i'm so damn low to ground. I won't hit someones bumper, I slide under their Frame...LOL
    Whatsoever thy handfindeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is nor work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave, whither thou goest.
  • Joelsbass
    Joelsbass Posts: 637
    edited February 2007
    Josh wrote:

Love the shaved handle on the tailgate, shoulda done it on the rest though :p still looks great!
    MacLeod: I guess youre lucky Polk has such lax hiring standards.

Josh: Damn skippy!
  • [Deleted User]
    edited February 2007
    Yeah, I kinda drive it everyday. I don't want to break out a window every other week because my door poppers fail.
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited February 2007
    I understand door poppers, those can be a pain in the ****. And having a release cord is just another way to have someone break in, but why not the antenna? Looks good though, how about some pictures of the inside???
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited February 2007
    Josh wrote:

Lotsa work there, looks good!

It's still a Dodge though!

So what's wrong with the inside? Still got the "Interior by Samsonite" look going on?

Oh and fix that exhaust pipe. It looks silly sticking out the side like that! Get yourself a nice Borla deal with the dual side outlet.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • [Deleted User]
    edited February 2007
    Jstas wrote:
    Oh and fix that exhaust pipe. It looks silly sticking out the side like that! Get yourself a nice Borla deal with the dual side outlet.

Your mom looks silly.
  • MacLeod
    edited February 2007
    WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAA!!!

Gold Jerry! Gold!

• MacLeod
    edited February 2007
    Finally ran out my first tank of gas. Got 400 miles off of 13.5 gallons for a grand total of 29.6 mpg. And thats with 75% stop and go traffic.

Yeah, this may not be a big deal to everybody but when youre used to getting 14.5 mpg and paying $200+ a month in gas, this is very cool! :p

• audiobliss
    edited February 2007
    Hey, 14.5mpg ain't too shabby. I get between 13 and 17mpg in my Jeep...though admittedly my average is about 16.

But congrats on the ~30! That's sweet!
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • black magic
    black magic Posts: 669
    edited February 2007
    sure i'm a little late, but i just wanted to say good choice on the car. Can't go wrong with Honda. Now you'll never need any major maintenance/repair for at least 10 years :D
  • MacLeod
    edited February 2007
    I sure hope not!

I got a pretty good deal on it and managed to get the extra 5 year / 60,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty too. Hopefully I wont need it!