No more Ram

MacLeod
MacLeod Posts: 14,358
edited April 2007 in Car Audio & Electronics
Well Ive done something I never EVER thought I would EVER do. I traded in my Beloved Dodge Ram today. Although she is always in my heart, I just could not justify taking out a loan of $400 a month for at least 3 years (probably 4) on a truck with nearly 90,000 miles on it AND getting 15 mpg.

The 2 cars I wanted was the Nissan Altima and the Honda Accord. The Nissan is the better looking of the 2 but the Honda just oozes quality. Both have just about nearly perfect speaker locations and a supertanker for a trunk.

I couldnt find an Altima in a 5 speed which I desperately wanted plus they couldnt get my payments down to where I needed them ($450 max).

So on a whim, I decided to pop into Economy Honda today and looked around. Found a nice Accord basic model for $21,000. Went and did all the paperwork and they were able to not only get my payments to where I wanted them ($455 actually - its never BELOW your max goal) but also got me a smoking interest rate!! 9%!! Considering my credit and the fact that I was being quoted 16-20% rated from everybody else I feel I got a good deal. So I walked out of there with 1 2007 Honda Accord 5 speed and 4 cyl (34 mpg) for $19800. Gonna go tomorrow and rip out my brand new install out of the truck. Should be fun. Ugh.

Now comes the hard part, having to completely install all my stuff and then re-tune everything. The biggest **** is going to be trying to figure a way around the stock HU. Its part of the dash so you cant remove it. Im either going to run high level inputs to my Alpine 700 via a LLC and hope for low noise or try to install my trusty Alpine 9855 in a cubby hole somewhere. Either way, its gonna be a challenge.

But that cavernous trunk! I finally have room to put things!!

But best of all, 34 miles per gallon!!!! Yippee!! My monthly gas bill should drop from $200+ a month to less than $100! Im stoked.

Forgive the poor lighting - I just got home with the thing.

477xj85.jpg

3zhggtl.jpg

2n1yzo8.jpg
polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
Post edited by MacLeod on

Comments

• audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited February 2007
    Sweeeeeeet! I know it'll be a pain having to totally redo all your install, but hopefully it'll be worth it. Congrats on the purchase, Mac! I hope you'll get a lot of pics of the Ram before saying goodbye!

Are you actually going to get 34mpg? Or is that what they have on the sticker?
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited February 2007
    Nice buy it shouldn't give you any problem until you have about 300k miles ;)

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• MacLeod
    edited February 2007
    I dont think I can take any pics of the Ram, especially with the stereo gutted out of it. It breaks my heart to think of losing her. I had that truck for over 5 years and it was part of me. Ive wanted a Dodge Ram like that since they first came out in 94 and worked my **** off to finally get one. I dont regret my decision to get the Honda as its a great car and it does work MUCH better for me financially but I still feel horrible about losing my baby.

As for the mileage, the sticker says 34 mpg freeway but its been my experience that the stickers are usually about right. Plus, I drive a lot slower in my old age it seems so Im pretty sure Ill get that.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • dolfan87
    dolfan87 Posts: 114
    edited February 2007
    Mac- Congrats brother!! Can you do me a favor and take a close up picture of that factory head unit? Might have some ideas for you.
    1970 Mach 1: ///ALPINE DVA 9860 H.U and H701 processor. Image Dynamics CSX 52 components, and IDQ D4 Sub. Polk/Momo 400.4 and 500.1 amps.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited February 2007
    Sweet smart ride! I dig it.

Good choice on the 5spd, more of a drivers car, if you know what I mean.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Deadof_knight
    Deadof_knight Posts: 980
    edited February 2007
    Hey Dolfan87 a mach 1 sweet I have a 69 ( ok its my wifes Im the mechanic though damnit!)
    :cool: " He who dies with the most equipment wins Right ? "

Denon 3300 Adcom 535 BBe w/sub out 1 pr 4.6s 2 pr of 4 jrs Recent additions Samsung Lns-4095D LCD, Samsung hd-960 DVD, Monster HT-5000 Power center
    ,HPSA-1000 18" sealed DiY home sub.:D
    Black Laquer 1.2tl's w/ upgraded x-overs and Tweets BI-Amped with 2 Carver tfm-35's Knukonceptz 10ga cables
  • dolfan87
    edited February 2007
    Hey Dolfan87 a mach 1 sweet I have a 69 ( ok its my wifes Im the mechanic though damnit!)

69 is my favorite year...but my 70 will do. Don't steal Mac's thunder here though...lol.
    1970 Mach 1: ///ALPINE DVA 9860 H.U and H701 processor. Image Dynamics CSX 52 components, and IDQ D4 Sub. Polk/Momo 400.4 and 500.1 amps.
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited February 2007
    You mean this isn't about computers? lol

When are you getting the grossly oversized wing installed and some "dubs"? :D

Congrats!
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited February 2007
    Work on improving your FICO score! I think my first Bimmer loan was 458 a month.

Anyway, have fun Polking that ride!
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited February 2007
    disneyjoe7 wrote:
    Nice buy it shouldn't give you any problem until you have about 300k miles ;)

As long as you spend $600 every 60-70,000 miles to replace the timing belt so the engine doesn't eat itself alive.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited February 2007
    Dude, don't worry about it, you'll get another truck when you can. Right now, do like PolkThug said and get things straightened out. Get that Accord paid off and work on the rest of your debt. When it's all good as gold again, you'll be able to pick up another Ram that some grandfather somewhere babied like it was his own kid and he'll let it go for a song because he knows you're going to treat it right.

As for the stereo, call up Crutchfield. They might have a bezel that works and will let you throw your aftermarket head unit in there. They have had bezels for alot of stuff I never would have expected. My wife's Taurus had only a tape player and an interface panel in the dash. Everything else was located in the trunk. Tuner, amp, everything in a neat little box buried in the driver's side corner next to the wheel well. The kit cost me $180 bucks and I didn't use half of it but they had it and it worked like a champ!
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,624
    edited February 2007
    Is that the DX or LX?

I guarantee you won't see 34mpg unless you drive it like a 90 year old and never shift over 1500 RPM's...........My 2001 Accord was rated for 26-32 and I usually always get about 25-27 and only on ONE tank of gas in the last 6 years did I get 30mpg. It's more likely you'll get mid to high 20's, which is still a hell of a lot better than you'd ever get out of the Ram......

When I was getting my car serviced once I saw the new dash config and I ended up calling Honda and complained about them tying both the AC and Radio into the same display. The only real option you have if you want to keep that unit is to get that JVC box that cleans up the signal considerably (forget it's name). I'm not sure about anything other than the EX, but I did like that my factory unit was a 6 in dash CD changer. That was a nice feature that unfortunately got lost once I replaced my deck.

Good luck with it........it should last you a very long time...........
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • dolfan87
    edited February 2007
  • ledhed
    ledhed Posts: 1,088
    edited February 2007
    Congrats on the car. Hopefully you can get better results from a car, I know you said using a truck in car audio is a lot harder to do to get similar results.
    brettw22 wrote:
    My 2001 Accord was rated for 26-32 and I usually always get about 25-27 and only on ONE tank of gas in the last 6 years did I get 30mpg. It's more likely you'll get mid to high 20's,

I never understood this with Japanese cars. My mother's Buick with a 3.8L V6 consistently gets MPG in the 30s. My Dad gets high 20s from his 'Vette (Of course it is more aerodynamic) yet I only get about 22 in my 3.0L V6 Toyota. It seems it is a huge misconception that imports get better gas mileage than domestics.
    God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. - Romans 5:8
  • brettw22
    edited February 2007
    dolfan87 wrote:
    That kit won't work because the AC and cd/radio are integrated into the same display basically. There's no way to remove just the radio without ultimately axing your AC system......(that kit would work up to 2006 I think......but not the new 2007's)
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited February 2007
    Congrats on the new ride. I had a Ram once and hated to get rid of it. Let us know how oyu make out with the head unit. I have the same issue with my toyota yaris as it is molded in with the a/c.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited February 2007
    Congrats on the new ride Aaron. very nice.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited February 2007
    Yeah, I think you're f'ed on the HU kit. Looks like some custom work is in your future. BTW...F&^$ YOU TRAITOR!:D
  • dolfan87
    edited February 2007
    brettw22 wrote:
    That kit won't work because the AC and cd/radio are integrated into the same display basically. There's no way to remove just the radio without ultimately axing your AC system......(that kit would work up to 2006 I think......but not the new 2007's)

Oh I see. Bummer!!

My apologies. :(
  • dolfan87
    edited February 2007
    Ok, I was looking at the pics again, and what about this area?

2n1yzo8.jpg
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited February 2007
    At least its not a civic!

Whats up with this reverse trend lately?

Josh sells his honda to get a ram, aaron sells his ram to get a honda...maybe you guys should have just traded?? :D

Theres no way to integrate a head unit in those cars unless you put it somewhere else...like where dolfan87 suggested, or in the glovebox, or in the center console. Weve even put a guys radio in the trunk, then soldered wires to the connections on the detachable face, and put the face in the front visor.

I would do my best to get your alpine in there...or else youre going to have a pretty good possibility of noise with a h701, loc, and RCAs...Told you you should have got a 360.2...that wouldve solved all your problems :D

Well, at least someone is having a good day...ive got some serious **** wrong with the truck right now
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • MacLeod
    edited February 2007
    Thanks for all the tips guys.

That pocket under the A/C is the first place I was looking at. Its almost too narrow tho so Im gonna have to see what I can do.

I also thought about the center console. Its the right size and I could mount it in there facing up.

I think I may try to run the stock HU first. A guy on my SQ Team uses an Acura TL with pretty much the same HU and routinely beats the crap out of everybody. However he does have to put his gains on the floor to keep hiss out. If that doesnt work, Ill figure out a way to put it in that front pocket. It has a panel that closes over it so I could have my fancy Alpine in there and close the panel and it would look bone stock.

Thats actually my plan for this install. Other than the Polk/Momo sticker on the back window (which Ill need to get a new one now) nobody will know anything is in there. But I want the trunk to look really sharp. Hopefully something Polk will be proud to see their gear in.

Gonna have to build another sub box too. That trunk is so big tho, I bet I could get one of those DB 212-2's to fit in there just right! :D Hmm, thats actually not a bad idea. Gonna have to look into that one.

Another thing that wil need to be upgraded that I noticed last night - the battery. 410 CCA! An Optima is in my future I believe.

As for the mileage, Im sure I wont get 34 mpg driving around town, but when I go to these competitions its almost all freeway and I bet I get over 30 for that if I keep it below 70. Thats where the big benefit is. Instead of costing $50 per show in gas alone, I can now get away with $10-15.

And no guilt trips either. I feel bad enough having to give up my beloved Dodge without you yahoos giving me more crap to feel bad about! :p

• Greg Peters
    Greg Peters Posts: 605
    edited February 2007
    MacLeod wrote:

That pocket under the A/C is the first place I was looking at. Its almost too narrow tho so Im gonna have to see what I can do.

If that doesnt work, Ill figure out a way to put it in that front pocket. It has a panel that closes over it so I could have my fancy Alpine in there and close the panel and it would look bone stock.

That pocket appears to be Double DIN...can Honda set you up with a replacement pocket from the parts counter? If so, you might be able to fab up something using the pocket with some ABS that'll hold the 9855 and your processor in an over/under dual DIN setup to mount behind the flap.
    MacLeod wrote:

Gonna have to build another sub box too. That trunk is so big tho, I bet I could get one of those DB 212-2's to fit in there just right! :D Hmm, thats actually not a bad idea. Gonna have to look into that one.

This seems like a prime opportunity to get an SR subwoofer (or two). I hope the '07 Accord doesn't have a knack for keeping bass in the trunk from getting into the interior. Does it at least have a pass-through or folding rear seat?
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited February 2007
    MacLeod wrote:
    And no guilt trips either. I feel bad enough having to give up my beloved Dodge without you yahoos giving me more crap to feel bad about! :p

Congrats on getting your nuts snipped. You'll have even more fun when you finally trade this car in for a mini van.
  • MacLeod
    edited February 2007
    PolkThug wrote:
    Congrats on getting your nuts snipped. You'll have even more fun when you finally trade this car in for a mini van.

Just when I thought I couldnt get any lower. ;)

Thats a good idea Greg, I may try that. The rear seats do fold down so theyll let plenty o' bass in the cabin.

It took me 3.5 hours to pull everything out tonight and re-install the old HU and speakers and hook them back up. Im so effing tired right now.

I feel sureal tho. Not only do I not have my beloved truck that has been a part of me for over 5 years but the stereo that I worked my **** off installing and tuning, is gone as well. Dont get me wrong, I love my new Accord, its just I feel "off" or something. Weird.

• MacLeod
    edited February 2007
    Jstas wrote:
    As long as you spend $600 every 60-70,000 miles to replace the timing belt so the engine doesn't eat itself alive.

Huh?!?!

I trust your word John but Ive never heard anything about Accords having a tendancy to blow timing belts every 60K.

• brettw22
    edited February 2007
    How are you not somehow dinged for totally **** with a truck that you were leasing? I thought if it was in the least bit not factory spec, you'd be paying out the nose...........
  • MacLeod
    edited February 2007
    The way my lease was set up, I have the option to either buy it out or trade it in at any time. So I wasnt turning it back in, I just traded it in and the dealer paid it off.

Gawdamighty, if Id turned that thing in it wouldve cost me $10,000!

• disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited February 2007
    I thinks is 90k not 60k for timing belt as it was for my 92 Accord. BTW if the timing belt breaks before it's replaced it not cheap too repair as that engine doesn't have clearance for a value to be open and the piston to be TDC. So this can cause piston breakage, value breakage, so on and so on.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• brettw22
    edited February 2007
    It is 60k miles.......not 90. Tune up's are 100k, but that's pretty standard on most cars nowadays.....

EDIT: Just called Honda dealership and all teh 4cyl Accords from '03 and up have converted to timing chains, so you're safe on that..............lucky ****.