The snow - she is a comin'

Comments

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,160
    edited December 2006
    dkg999 wrote:
    About the same situation here in Belvidere as H9 has over in Rockford! As long as the high speed internet stays up I'll be working from home and listening to some good tunes. Of course I have to drive back to the farm in IA later today, so that should be a lot of fun!

Well, if you do go to Iowa Doug, be careful! I can handle driving around town in these conditions, but a long trip is pretty demanding in these types of conditions. I really didn't believe the forecasters, but I'm glad I prepared anyways. I just got the snow tries on the car on Wednesday. I was going to blow it off because I didn't believe we'd get this much snow. The summer only tires I had on would have left me stranded in my parking spot. :p
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited December 2006
    H9 - hopefully they will have I-39 and I-88 cleared pretty well by early afternoon. I don't think the truck is getting out of 4wd today!
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • heiney9
    edited December 2006
    I just walked out side and the snow was half way up to my knees and we are just getting started. I'm not sure if I'm fool enough to leave right now for work or not.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited December 2006
    No snow here, but hurricane-like winds and some rather odd weather quirks. I'm looking at double full rainbows right now -- bright as can be. And though not a drop of rain is falling to the ground, you can see a major rainstorm occuring against the backdrop of the rainbows. It's all going sideways.

This is beyond bizarre....
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • heiney9
    edited December 2006
    Just got confirmation from the boss that we are going to close today. So I get my wish of staying home and chilling out and listening to some tunes.

It is coming down like gang busters right now they've up the amount to 3" an hour in some areas and we still have 3-4 hours to go.
  • McLoki
    McLoki Posts: 5,231
    edited December 2006
    No snow here, but hurricane-like winds and some rather odd weather quirks. I'm looking at double full rainbows right now -- bright as can be. And though not a drop of rain is falling to the ground, you can see a major rainstorm occuring against the backdrop of the rainbows. It's all going sideways.

This is beyond bizarre....
    love to see a picture of that.... snap one if you get a chance.

Michael
    Mains.............Polk LSi15 (Cherry)
    Center............Polk LSiC (Crossover upgraded)
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
    Subwoofers.....SVS 25-31 CS+ and PC+ (both 20hz tune)
    Pre\Pro...........NAD T163 (Modded with LM4562 opamps)
    Amplifier.........Cinepro 3k6 (6-channel, 500wpc@4ohms)
  • heiney9
    edited December 2006
    God, if I was a kid I would be so excited not only to not have shcool but to go out and play in the snow. These are kind of days I remember having a few times a year growing up. Getting all the neighborhood kids together to build snow forts and go sledding, etc. Ah.........the good ole' days.
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited December 2006
    Funny you should ask McLoki... I work at a paper and the publisher just ran out to see what pics he could get. We'll see when he gets back.
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • Lowell_M
    Lowell_M Posts: 1,660
    edited December 2006
    I took some back roads to work and drove through some 4' drifts. Crazy. i haven't seen snow like this in Il. This is more like NW PA, which I thought I left behind me 5 years ago.

....Still snowing.........
    HT
    RTi70 mains
    CSi30 center
    RTi28 Rears
    Velodyne CHT-12
    H/K AVR-247
    ADCOM GFA-7000
    Samsung PN58B860
    Playstation 3

2-Channel
    Polk Audio LSi15's
    Rotel RCD-1072
    Nakamichi CA-5 Pre
    ADCOM GFA-555
    Signal Cable Analog II IC's
    Signal Ultra Bi-Wire Speaker Cables
  • Lowell_M
    edited December 2006
    dkg999 wrote:
    H9 - hopefully they will have I-39 and I-88 cleared pretty well by early afternoon. I don't think the truck is getting out of 4wd today!

Drive carefull if you are out there on the interstate today, Doug. Lot's o' crazies out there today that can't drive.
    HT
    RTi70 mains
    CSi30 center
    RTi28 Rears
    Velodyne CHT-12
    H/K AVR-247
    ADCOM GFA-7000
    Samsung PN58B860
    Playstation 3

2-Channel
    Polk Audio LSi15's
    Rotel RCD-1072
    Nakamichi CA-5 Pre
    ADCOM GFA-555
  • heiney9
    edited December 2006
    a_mattison wrote:
    I took some back roads to work and drove through some 4' drifts. Crazy. i haven't seen snow like this in Il. This is more like NW PA, which I thought I left behind me 5 years ago.

....Still snowing.........

Now fess up......you have an SUV :D . I'm not going out at all. I'm sure I could w/o too much difficulty, but you're right about the crazies being out there. Actually they are the same crazies you see everyday, just much worse in conditions like this.
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited December 2006
    It's got little to do with the amount of snow, and everything to do with the rate at which it falls. It's gridlock here, and we're used to it.
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    edited December 2006
    I just saw some guy on the news who is stuck in Cicero. He's really pissed off that the city didn't get out earlier and clear the roads. He said he was fishtailing all morning until he turned off of the main road and got stuck - just happened to be where a news crew (FOX - I think) is filming.

What kind of car is he driving? A new Mustang. Duh! No wonder you were fishtailing all morning and no wonder you're stuck in the snow now! The newscastor said the city was out very early as they knew the storm was coming. So whose fault is it that the guy is stuck? :rolleyes:
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • heiney9
    edited December 2006
    Demiurge wrote:
    It's got little to do with the amount of snow, and everything to do with the rate at which it falls. It's gridlock here, and we're used to it.

Yes the amount/rate has a lot to do with it but down here in Rockford we have about 12-13" on the ground and most cars don't have that kind of clearance. Most people I've talked to this morning who have been out in it say they haven't even plowed the main streets.

I put Bridgestone Blizzak snow tires on my car rated for use in the mountains and because of the clearance issues I'm not going anywhere until the plows get out. The snow is piled over the front bumper of the car so I'd say I might have some clearance issues. :D
  • wodom1
    wodom1 Posts: 1,054
    edited December 2006
    It's pretty much stopped now at O'Hare airport. It took me 1.5 hours to get from Lincoln Park to O'Hare, whereas it usually takes about 20 minutes at 6 AM. I took Irving Park all the way out instead of the Kennedy, which I assumed would be a nightmare.
    "I got into the music business thinking it was really radical, that it wasn't really a business at all, that it was a lot of people being artistic and creative. Not true, and it made me very depressed."

Thom Yorke of Radiohead

SOPA. Bow down before me, ****. Want a cookie?

Polk Audio LSi15
    Polk Audio LSiC
    Polk Audio FXi30
    Samsung LN-T4061F 40" 1080P LCD HDTV
    Sony Playstation 3
    Outlaw Model 990 Pre/Pro
    Rotel 985 MK II
    Rotel 1072 CDP
    Soundstage Vacuum II tube pre
  • Lowell_M
    edited December 2006
    heiney9 wrote:
    Now fess up......you have an SUV :D . I'm not going out at all. I'm sure I could w/o too much difficulty, but you're right about the crazies being out there. Actually they are the same crazies you see everyday, just much worse in conditions like this.

heh heh.... Except for the wipers freezing up, the drive was actually entertaining. Nobody takes those roads when it snows, so for the most part, didn't have to worry about people.
    HT
    RTi70 mains
    CSi30 center
    RTi28 Rears
    Velodyne CHT-12
    H/K AVR-247
    ADCOM GFA-7000
    Samsung PN58B860
    Playstation 3

2-Channel
    Polk Audio LSi15's
    Rotel RCD-1072
    Nakamichi CA-5 Pre
    ADCOM GFA-555
  • heiney9
    edited December 2006
    a_mattison wrote:
    heh heh.... Except for the wipers freezing up, the drive was actually entertaining. Nobody takes those roads when it snows, so for the most part, didn't have to worry about people.

I'm very familiar with the Roscoe area and it is very pretty out there especially out by the Ledges golf course and farther east of town. I bet it was an enjoyable trip this morning. I love the first snow fall especially if you can drive thru a nice wooded area that hasn't had much activity yet.
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited December 2006
    I just ran a few errands in Belvidere, you know, the important stuff like getting a couple of bottles of Diet Dew, etc. Not much plowing going on, lots of city snow plows at Kelly's Market having coffee and donuts! I have locking front and rear differentials on the truck, so not much problem even in the deep stuff. Funniest thing I saw was a Subaru Outback that someone really believed the marketing and thought they could go through anything. Must of hit the big drift pretty hard because it buckled the hood!

I'm counting on the process of natural selection to make my drive back to IA safer. I figure the really stupid drivers will all be in the ditch by early afternoon and won't have gotten their vehicles back on the road!
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,277
    edited December 2006
    Hitting low 70s with rain today in Baltimore.

I bought my Explorer XLT V8 4WD in Feb '04 and have been waiting ever since for a good snow to atleast challenge me. WTF, I think the best we've had in that period of time is 6-8".

I want a foot and a half so I can go 4WD crunchin!

John
    No excuses!
  • Lowell_M
    edited December 2006
    Strong Bad wrote:
    Hitting low 70s with rain today in Baltimore.

I bought my Explorer XLT V8 4WD in Feb '04 and have been waiting ever since for a good snow to atleast challenge me. WTF, I think the best we've had in that period of time is 6-8".

I want a foot and a half so I can go 4WD crunchin!

John

Take a weekend drive a few hours north into NY state.

I always get a kick out of the first couple of big snow falls of the winter because I get the chance to play, but after that, man do I get tired of winter.
    HT
    RTi70 mains
    CSi30 center
    RTi28 Rears
    Velodyne CHT-12
    H/K AVR-247
    ADCOM GFA-7000
    Samsung PN58B860
    Playstation 3

2-Channel
    Polk Audio LSi15's
    Rotel RCD-1072
    Nakamichi CA-5 Pre
    ADCOM GFA-555
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited December 2006
    Those Subaru's can go through anything... assuming they have the ground clearance for it! I've driven a few of them in nasty weather, and they have great traction, but they're still only 6 inches off the ground. Great on a slippery road, but of no use going through a big drift :)
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited December 2006
    :)
    heiney9 wrote:
    Yes the amount/rate has a lot to do with it but down here in Rockford we have about 12-13" on the ground and most cars don't have that kind of clearance. Most people I've talked to this morning who have been out in it say they haven't even plowed the main streets.

I put Bridgestone Blizzak snow tires on my car rated for use in the mountains and because of the clearance issues I'm not going anywhere until the plows get out. The snow is piled over the front bumper of the car so I'd say I might have some clearance issues. :D

Sorry, I wasn't responding directly to your comment, but just a general comment in this thread since I didn't quote you. :)

I was just saying it's nuts here where I am, and we've seen way more snow than this in the past. The rate at which it is falling they cannot keep up with plowing it. Not to mention we're getting Thunder Snow (I saw it), which means the snow is falling at a rate of at least 2" per hour in blizzard conditions.
  • Lowell_M
    edited December 2006
    Subaru has pretty much lost their little niche in the AWD arena. there are plenty of alternatives with AWD now. I can't think of any reason that I would want to buy one.
    HT
    RTi70 mains
    CSi30 center
    RTi28 Rears
    Velodyne CHT-12
    H/K AVR-247
    ADCOM GFA-7000
    Samsung PN58B860
    Playstation 3

2-Channel
    Polk Audio LSi15's
    Rotel RCD-1072
    Nakamichi CA-5 Pre
    ADCOM GFA-555
  • Jockos
    Jockos Posts: 310
    edited December 2006
    It's cold here. My wife's toes were freezing. The new's said the therm. hit the lower 60's!!

Aloha
  • heiney9
    edited December 2006
    Demi, I was basically agreeing with you :) . Northern Il and Wisconsin residents, if you lived here long enough, should know enough to stay in on a day like today if you don't have a vehicle that can get you around. But, I've seen a large population of drivers who can't drive on a clear summer day. I'm so glad I don't have to venture out in this mess because stupidity does run rampant this time of year.

You guys are getting almost as bad as we are. Right now the flakes have let up, but the blowing is starting and it's hard to tell where the snow ends and the blowing begins. Even this afternoon when the weather advisory has ended it's going to be slow going because the snow will just keep drifting no matter how many times an area is plowed.

Lunch is tomato soup and grilled cheese, as today is a perfect day for the comfort food.
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited December 2006
    I lived in Rockford, IL for one year and it was all I could handle.

I think the year before, Time magazine actually ranked it in the bottom five for worst weather in the US.
  • Lowell_M
    edited December 2006
    I lived in Rockford, IL for one year and it was all I could handle.

I think the year before, Time magazine actually ranked it in the bottom five for worst weather in the US.

I moved here in 2001. Since then I haven't seen a snow fall like this one and no others really to be too worried about. I see a lot more sunshine in the winter here than I did in NW PA. The year after I left PA there was record snow fall in the area I lived in of 189" for the winter, they broke the record the next two years running. sucks for them!!!!! Of course, the snow there is nothing like living in Buffalo. I don't know why anybody lives there.
    HT
    RTi70 mains
    CSi30 center
    RTi28 Rears
    Velodyne CHT-12
    H/K AVR-247
    ADCOM GFA-7000
    Samsung PN58B860
    Playstation 3

2-Channel
    Polk Audio LSi15's
    Rotel RCD-1072
    Nakamichi CA-5 Pre
    ADCOM GFA-555
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited December 2006
    I think it ranked so high (or low) on the list because of a combination of factors... I seem to remember a lot of rain, overcast days, and of course, cold.
  • Lowell_M
    edited December 2006
    Definately cold!
    HT
    RTi70 mains
    CSi30 center
    RTi28 Rears
    Velodyne CHT-12
    H/K AVR-247
    ADCOM GFA-7000
    Samsung PN58B860
    Playstation 3

2-Channel
    Polk Audio LSi15's
    Rotel RCD-1072
    Nakamichi CA-5 Pre
    ADCOM GFA-555
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited December 2006
    It's a windy 65 degrees here in Boston!:eek: :confused: :eek: We are breaking records all over the place. Now tomorrow when I wake up, it will have dropped (hopefully) down to 45.

My poor sinuses are beyond confused & taking it out on ME!:eek:
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2