The snow - she is a comin'

13»

Comments

• dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited December 2006
    Just talked to people back at the farm in central IA. No snow, and the sun is out and the sky is clear. It is cold and windy, but it appears there is a clearing right behind this mess.

Elk bratwurst for lunch here!
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,160
    edited December 2006
    Well I'm sure those of you not in the area are just on the edge of yourr seat wondering how the weather is doing ;) . But, the snow has completely stopped and it's now partly sunny out. It sure is beautiful outside with the fresh snow and sunlight. It's going to be cold tonight and the rest of the weekend.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited December 2006
    Have fun shoveling!!!:D
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited December 2006
    cfrizz wrote:
    Now tomorrow when I wake up, it will have dropped (hopefully) down to 45.

Cathy, you're killin' me! Hopin' for 45, you better be a skier. :)

Also, the record high for today in Boston is 71 (set in '01), not quite breakin' records today.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • opus
    opus Posts: 1,252
    edited December 2006
    Wow!

WE are snowed in and how. I don't just mean "too lazy too scrape your windows and you don't want to go to work" snowed in. We couldn't get into town or down the road even if we wanted to. This is a real ****.

But on the bright side we have food and its movie day:)
    The Flea rig
    Hitachi 50VG825 LCD
    Rotel RSP 1066 (pre) :)-flea market
    B&K St-202 (mains)-flea market
    Carver M 200t (x2) (center and surrounds)-flea market
    Blu-Ray..PS3 (dvd player)
    Polk RTA-11t-flea market
    LsiC, Fxi30's

Dual SVS PC-Utra's (1 port blocked) thanks MikeC78
    Behringer Feedback Destroyer
    -flea market
    AudioAlchemy DDE v1.0 DAC-flea market
    Cambridge Audio Azur 640 CDP-flea market
    Signal Cable and Kimber Kable
  • heiney9
    edited December 2006
    opus wrote:
    Wow!

WE are snowed in and how. I don't just mean "too lazy too scrape your windows and you don't want to go to work" snowed in. We couldn't get into town or down the road even if we wanted to. This is a real ****.

But on the bright side we have food and its movie day:)

I hear ya Opus!! I walked out front and the snow was up to my waist. You can spend sometime enjoying the RTA-11's. I'm just now getting dug out, but there really isn't anyplace to go as nothing but the major roads have been plowed. Helped quite a few neighbors get unstuck, but that been it for the day.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • McLoki
    McLoki Posts: 5,231
    edited December 2006
    Well picked up Pizza for dinner tonight. First trip out of the garage in the charger since the snow fell.

It is shockingly good in the snow. (and not-shockingly sucks when traction control is turned off) I did not have much problem navigating around. Biggest issue is that I have almost nothing for ground clearance and the plows are still just shoving the snow around. (every cross street has a line of snow at least 12-14" high from the plows going by)

Only other issues were piles of snow so high on corners, that all streets are blind exits and to make it through the above mentioned plow lines, I gotta take them at a run - and many streets seem to be about 1 lane wide right now with a near frozen 3 to 4 foot drift as the bumpers.

Most of my issues will be taken care of as the plows get a handle on the snow. I am really quite happy with how the car performs in the winter considering everything going against it. (power, tires, size, rear wheel drive, ground clearance, etc.)

Michael
    Mains.............Polk LSi15 (Cherry)
    Center............Polk LSiC (Crossover upgraded)
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
    Subwoofers.....SVS 25-31 CS+ and PC+ (both 20hz tune)
    Pre\Pro...........NAD T163 (Modded with LM4562 opamps)
    Amplifier.........Cinepro 3k6 (6-channel, 500wpc@4ohms)
  • heiney9
    edited December 2006
    McLoki wrote:
    Well picked up Pizza for dinner tonight. First trip out of the garage in the charger since the snow fell.

It is shockingly good in the snow. (and not-shockingly sucks when traction control is turned off) I did not have much problem navigating around. Biggest issue is that I have almost nothing for ground clearance and the plows are still just shoving the snow around. (every cross street has a line of snow at least 12-14" high from the plows going by)

Only other issues were piles of snow so high on corners, that all streets are blind exits and to make it through the above mentioned plow lines, I gotta take them at a run - and many streets seem to be about 1 lane wide right now with a near frozen 3 to 4 foot drift as the bumpers.

Most of my issues will be taken care of as the plows get a handle on the snow. I am really quite happy with how the car performs in the winter considering everything going against it. (power, tires, size, rear wheel drive, ground clearance, etc.)

Michael

About the same here I'm sure. I haven't been out in it yet. A good friend has a Jaguar S-type which is rear wheel drive and it's not too bad in the snow w/the traction control. Traction control and computer aided acceleration has made owning a rear wheel drive car a bit easier in the winter. He also has a 95 Mustang GT which is absolutely horrible in the snow.

My car is lowered 2 inches so when there is a foot of snow on the ground even with Bridgestone Blizzak snow tires I can't help but bottom out. :p

The snow is crunchy here now as the temp is about 15 degrees. I'll wait and go out tomorrow and see how it is. I don't have a pressing need to be out tonight.
  • petrym
    petrym Posts: 1,912
    edited December 2006
    Just chilly here in Nebraska: 19F/-7C and no snow. I plug my minivans block heater in at night and it keeps that engine nice and warm.