The snow - she is a comin'

McLoki
McLoki Posts: 5,231
edited December 2006 in The Clubhouse
They always forcast snow and we get nothing. If they forcast 6" we end up with 1"-2". As the first major snowstorm I have driven in with my new car, I wish it would just get here already and get the suspense overwith.

Car is a Dodge Charger Daytona R/T (big, heavy, rear wheel drive, fat tires and a big motor - not the best snow combination) They are currently forcasting 8"-14" in my area. Guess we will know tomorrow...

For those who want to know - this is what it looks like. We will definately get something. (central Illinois - right between chicago and St. Louis.)

Michael
Mains.............Polk LSi15 (Cherry)
Center............Polk LSiC (Crossover upgraded)
Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
Subwoofers.....SVS 25-31 CS+ and PC+ (both 20hz tune)
Pre\Pro...........NAD T163 (Modded with LM4562 opamps)
Amplifier.........Cinepro 3k6 (6-channel, 500wpc@4ohms)
Post edited by McLoki on

Comments

• PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited November 2006
    Its really bad here (Kansas) too.
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited November 2006
    Light snowflakes in Belvidere IL this morning! Just a few flakes during the day here in Schaumburg (at least flakes of snow!). Looks like northern IL might get nailed tonight.
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited November 2006
    Crazy how it can ride along the north bank of the Ohio River...

I've watched storms rage right across the bridge with nary a drop on my head in the 'ville.
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited November 2006
    A Charger R/T, and your'e going to keep it on the road in the winter? You're a crazy person!
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • McLoki
    edited November 2006
    bobman1235 wrote:
    A Charger R/T, and your'e going to keep it on the road in the winter? You're a crazy person!
    I have actually heard they are not that bad, but I am still worried about it. My wife also works outside the home and drives a 300c (purchased after she drove my charger and liked it alot) so she is in the same boat.

Getting a winter car would be nice, but we would each have to have one.

Oh well - I guess we will find out shortly how good or bad it is....

Michael
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
  • Greg Peters
    Greg Peters Posts: 605
    edited November 2006
    I live in the "rain belt"- think Seattle, but farther north. We normally have a rainy winter with temps above 0.

I never signed up for this...we haven't seen this much since '96.
  • cindy100
    cindy100 Posts: 256
    edited November 2006
    Michael,

You are certainly more than welcome to send any of the snow my way!
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited November 2006
    Why Cindy, are you looking for a few days off from work? LOL. You all get a drop of snow & everything comes to a screeching halt!

Greg that's a nice little bit, but nothing to really write home about.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • BIZILL
    BIZILL Posts: 5,432
    edited November 2006
    cold. even here in the arizona desert we hit a low of 27 degrees last night. funny, just last weekend i was tanning myself nekkid.

POLK SDA-SRS 1.2TL -- ADCOM GFA-5802
    PANASONIC PT-AE4000U -- DIY WILSONART DW 135" 2.35:1 SCREEN
    ONKYO TX-SR805
    CENTER: CSI5
    MAINS: RTI8'S
    SURROUNDS: RTI8'S
    7.1 SURROUNDS: RTI6'S
    SUB: SVS PB12-PLUS/2 (12.3 series)

XBOX 360
    WiiPS3/blu-rayTOSHIBA HD-A35 hd dvd

http://polkarmy.com/forums/index.php
    bobman1235 wrote:
    I have no facts to back that up, but I never let facts get in the way of my arguments.
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited November 2006
    cfrizz wrote:

Yeah, I can remember a few times when we had a bit more than that.

For example, this shot outside my front door from last winter...

Ugh.... I just threw up in my mouth over that.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,335
    edited November 2006
    I blew out of Chicago earlier today. It was cold with drizzle. I got to Pittsburgh and it's 65 degrees here. I don't think it will last very long:(
    Carl

• cindy100
    cindy100 Posts: 256
    edited November 2006
    Cathy,

No, I am pretty much finished with my work for the year; I love snow and it seems we haven't had any here in forever! Yes, things do come to a halt, the bread and milk disappears from the store shelves if they even think there's a possibility we will get snow. Trust me, even when it rains here, these people can't handle it; you can always count on the traffic being even worse than usual!
  • wodom1
    wodom1 Posts: 1,054
    edited November 2006
    Yep, there's a helluva big storm heading our way. The forecast shows the morning rush hour being ushered in with a 100% chance of heavy snow showers. Supposedly Chicago is going to get 5-7" of the white stuff. At least I'll get to put the Durango in 4 HI for the first time in a while. I'm going to leave the 2 WD V-6 work pickup at home as I don't feel like fishtailing the whole way to work.
    "I got into the music business thinking it was really radical, that it wasn't really a business at all, that it was a lot of people being artistic and creative. Not true, and it made me very depressed."

Thom Yorke of Radiohead

SOPA. Bow down before me, ****. Want a cookie?

Polk Audio LSi15
    Polk Audio LSiC
    Polk Audio FXi30
    Samsung LN-T4061F 40" 1080P LCD HDTV
    Sony Playstation 3
    Outlaw Model 990 Pre/Pro
    Rotel 985 MK II
    Rotel 1072 CDP
    Soundstage Vacuum II tube pre
  • cfrizz
    edited November 2006
    WAAAAAAAAA!!! Enjoyed digging out that much huh Bob?:D

bobman1235 wrote:
    Yeah, I can remember a few times when we had a bit more than that.

For example, this shot outside my front door from last winter...

Ugh.... I just threw up in my mouth over that.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • cfrizz
    edited November 2006
    LOL! Cindy if you love snow that much WTH are you doing in GA?:D Come up North girlfriend, you will have all the snow you can handle. Then when you are ready for it to go away...IT'LL SNOW SOME MORE!!! WAAAAAAA!:D
    cindy100 wrote:
    Cathy,

No, I am pretty much finished with my work for the year; I love snow and it seems we haven't had any here in forever! Yes, things do come to a halt, the bread and milk disappears from the store shelves if they even think there's a possibility we will get snow. Trust me, even when it rains here, these people can't handle it; you can always count on the traffic being even worse than usual!
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,160
    edited November 2006
    I'm ready, but the damn media is playing this storm to the hilt. I can't even watch TV tonight because of all the bulletin's and banners flashing/scrolling across the screen. You'd think the plague was coming or something. They are calling for 6-12". Cancelled 50-60% of the flights out of O'Hare at about 3:00 today and it hasn't even snowed an inch or even started for that matter. I'm waiting for them to cancel school and start cancelling events for tomorrow. Last time they did that in anticipation of a storm we never got any snow :eek: .

This is all laughable, they have been talking about this storm since Monday, we'll see what the actual outcome is tomorrow.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • heiney9
    edited November 2006
    P.s. I put the snow tires on the GTI yesterday, so I'm ready! But I'm betting we won't get more than an inch or two.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • heiney9
    edited November 2006
    PolkThug wrote:
    Its really bad here (Kansas) too.

Just watching the Weather Channel and you guys are getting hit pretty hard with the white stuff. Is this what we can expect?
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited November 2006
    A few light shows around here Orlando, FL....

Nothing to shovel :)

Ever

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited November 2006
    65 right now for SW Ohio; crazy for this time of the year...of course I'm loving it.

For tomorrow we have wind advisory with gusts up to 60 MPH; I don't mind thunderstorms or snow...but wind makes me nervous. Hopefully won't be bad.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • McLoki
    edited November 2006
    HTrookie wrote:
    65 right now for SW Ohio; crazy for this time of the year...
    That was our weather 2 days ago.... Its been a strange fall. Hope this is not a sign for how our winter is going to go.

Michael
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited November 2006
    We are probably finished with all the snow for this season. The forecast for tomorrow evening is -44C with the wind. It's too COLD to snow.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • Greg Peters
    Greg Peters Posts: 605
    edited November 2006
    cfrizz wrote:

I know- won't be setting any world records with this snowfall.

What's significant is that since this area rarely sees anything over a couple of inches (and that's usually washed away by the rain in a day or so), people here almost never have anything better than all-season tires on the car. Couple that with some of the world's worst drivers in snow conditions and it's grounds for paranoia on the road.
  • heiney9
    edited December 2006
    Well I was wrong and the weather people were right (once a year) and we are getting dumped on and it's going to continue through the noon hour. Morning traffic should be just wonderful............just wonderful.
  • McLoki
    edited December 2006
    We got blasted as well.

My morning commute is going to consist of walking to the kitchen for coffee and back to the computer. I told my boss yesterday if we get over 6 inches I am not even going to try and come in. (the charger is sitting this storm out)

I will start shoveling around noon (when the snow is supposed to stop) and see what I end up with. It is a very dry snow that blows\drifts easily and we are getting 40mph wind gusts and 1-2" additional snow per hour till noon.

Right now we have about 4-6" of snow (hard to tell with the drifting) on top of about 1/2" of ice.

As long as we keep power - I am fine with it.

Michael
  • heiney9
    edited December 2006
    The official amount so far is 7" (Rockford) and we are supposed to get it at a rate of an inch an hour until about noon today. Blowing and drifting with 25-35 MPH winds. I hear our Polkies down in Central Il, Peoria specifically have gotten up to 13'" already with more to come.
  • McLoki
    edited December 2006
    heiney9 wrote:
    I hear our Polkies down in Central Il, Peoria specifically have gotten up to 13'" already with more to come.

They keep talking about 10-13" but I dont know if it is so far or total for the storm. Peoria is where I am at though.... (and opus as well) i know it is drifting like crazy right now.
  • heiney9
    edited December 2006
    McLoki wrote:
    They keep talking about 10-13" but I dont know if it is so far or total for the storm. Peoria is where I am at though.... (and opus as well) i know it is drifting like crazy right now.

Yep, today would be a great day to stay in and listen to some tunes. I'm only about 6 miles from work and I just put snow tires on my car so I really should go in today. I don't have the option to work at home as all the work is physically at the office.

I have no idea at all what the streets are going to be like. It's really coming doen almost white out conditions. The wind is going to be the killer after the snow stops.
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited December 2006
    About the same situation here in Belvidere as H9 has over in Rockford! As long as the high speed internet stays up I'll be working from home and listening to some good tunes. Of course I have to drive back to the farm in IA later today, so that should be a lot of fun!
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,480
    edited December 2006
    Lot's of cars in ditches on the way home. Glad I am home for the day.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *