Mike Vic,class act?

124»

Comments

• bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited July 2007
    Demiurge wrote: »
    Well, for perspective I will say it's interesting that killed animals > killed humans. IMO, that's effin' sad. That's not in defense of what Michael Vick did -- just shows how much we devalue human life these days.

Ray Lewis, O.J. Simpson, Ray Caruth, etc...Vick is hated more than any of those guys combined.

Uhh... I think this might just be a case of what's fresher in our mind. OJ was a way huger story, and aside from race-related things, he was and is way more despised by the general public as a whole.

Ray Lewis I will agree with you, that guy totally skated both in public opinion and legally.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • m00npie
    m00npie Posts: 697
    edited July 2007
    Drumingman wrote: »
    That's the way you Maryland people think. Do anything you want, screw who you want, kill dogs but don't smoke a cigarette. Oh and you also Harbor Our Illegal friends from south of the border. You guys are a fine example for the rest of the country, GAME ON! :cool:

Dear Reverend Jesse “Drumingman” Jackson

Are you a simpleton? Judging by your comment I would think that you are for making a general Statement for all MD folks, and making a ridiculous comment about illegal’s in a sports related forum thread. Why don't you throw the race card while you’re at it?

I believe the point of Shawn's comments were to take a hard line on every offender in the league, not just the ones that get a lot of press. Furthermore, I believe his suggestions were good. In the case of Vick, if he is found guilty on these charges, then he should never be permitted to play in any organized sports program that relies on money from fans and advertising to support it.

How do you respond almighty northern VA resident?
  • shawn474
    shawn474 Posts: 3,047
    edited July 2007
    Drumingman,
    Not quite sure that you have understood my statements. Judgining by your post, it seems that you have chosen to make a rash generalization of Marylanders and try to pick a fight. Nothing doin' here, bro. Misinterpret everything that I said and try to egg me on all you want - it's just ignorant to twist people's words around like that.

m00npie- that is exactly what I was saying. Thanks for the support.

Demi- this does go to show how much we are used to seeing people do harm to their fellow man and getting away with it. Now that it is animals, it is a new frontier that has never been in the public eye like this and the media is having a blast with it.

Do you really think that if this wasn't Michael Vick, but say a guy on the Dolphins practice squad, that it would be getting this much attention? This guy should rot and so should all of the other punks that do all of the things mentioned before.

Shawn
    Shawn
    AVR: Marantz SR-5011
    Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
    Front: Polk LsiM703
    Rear: LSI fx
    Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
    Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
    DVD Player: Sony PS4
  • duksbak
    duksbak Posts: 134
    edited July 2007
    Its sad to think that this stuff happens alot more than we know. We are getting this information because it happens to be a football "star".

Like Shawn's thinking. What if it was toothless Joe from the backwoods hills? What if you found out its happening close to your neighborhood?

Be it Vick or Billy-Joe-Jim-Bob, they need to be tried, and if found guilty, get everything thats coming to them.
    Television: Mitsubishi WD-57732
    Front R/L: Polkaudio RTiA7
    Center: Polkaudio CSiA4
    Rear R/L: Polkaudio FXiA4
    Subwoofer: Polkaudio DSW600
    A/V Reciever: Denon 2808
    DVD/SACD: Sony Playstation 3
  • Drumingman
    Drumingman Posts: 348
    edited July 2007
    Dear boys and girls,

Don't get your panties in a wad.

BTW I never mentioned race since it doesn't matter to me but it must to you.

Hey, some of my best friends are people.
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited July 2007
    duksbak wrote: »
    Its sad to think that this stuff happens alot more than we know. We are getting this information because it happens to be a football "star".

Like Shawn's thinking. What if it was toothless Joe from the backwoods hills? What if you found out its happening close to your neighborhood?

I never understood this thinking. Every time a celebrity does something and it gets media, it's always the same schtick - "you only care about this because it's someone famous." Duh? An unimaginable number of horrific things happen every single day, the only thing that makes any of them stand out is how they affect us - either someone we know is involved, or someone we heard of is involved. If it's someone famous, everyone has heard of them, so we all have an interest in it. If Joe Blow is fighting dogs, its just as horrific, and if s omeone showed you this story with Joe Blow's name instead of Mike Vick, I'm sure you would equally say "I hope that **** rots in hell." But that would be the end of it, because regardless of his crime, no one really cares what happens to Joe Blow, we'd never heard of him before.

Think about how many courthouses there are in this country - one or more per county for every county in the entire country - adn every one of them has a full docket every business day. At least one or two of those every day is probably something that would turn your stomach. So don't be so surprised when no one pays attention to these stories unless a celebrity involved.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • m00npie
    m00npie Posts: 697
    edited July 2007
    Drumingman wrote: »

Hey, some of my best friends are people.

I know what you meant here but I still found this funny when I read it.
  • shawn474
    edited July 2007
    I don't think anyone is implying that it would be any less horrific if a regular joe schmoe type did this. My whole beef with this situation is that the NFL has decided that after years of transgressions ranging from alleged murder, manslaughter, drug charges, etc. that all of the sudden we are supposed to believe that dog fighting is where they say enough is enough? That is my issue with their handling of this.

Drumingman, not sure I understand where race became an issue in regards to my post if that was directed at me. I'm not upset by what you said; I actually think you were trying to be funny. It just wasn't; that's all.

Shawn
    Shawn
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited August 2007
    New commish, new policies. He stated when he came in that he wasn't going to stand for the stuff people were getting away with. That's the change, not neccessarily this case.
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited August 2007
    shawn474 wrote: »
    My whole beef with this situation is that the NFL has decided that after years of transgressions ranging from alleged murder, manslaughter, drug charges, etc. that all of the sudden we are supposed to believe that dog fighting is where they say enough is enough? That is my issue with their handling of this.

Ask Pacman or Chris Henry if dogfighting is the where the NFL drew the line and started coming down hard on conduct detrimental to the NFL.

I predict that Vick will be playing "pick up the soap" in prison soon.

(Unfortunately, in reality he will probably never spend a minute in jail - probably some sort of plea and community service :mad: )
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • shawn474
    edited August 2007
    shack, my post was geared more towards the guys who have gotten away with that behavior in the past. Jones, Henry, Tank Johnson were all suspended for a multitude of infractions over a prolonged period of time. The first time a guy beats up his wife or gets in a bar fight or is drunk driving, there is no fine / suspension. When a guy is caught dogfighting, all of the sudden it is a serious enough offense to warrant immediate reaction. I certainly think this commissioner is doing the right thing.

Shawn
    Shawn
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited August 2007
    shack wrote: »
    (Unfortunately, in reality he will probably never spend a minute in jail - probably some sort of plea and community service :mad: )

I disagree. I'd be willing to bet that he does spend a significant amount of time locked up. But, we'll have to wait and see.
  • PhantomOG
    PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
    edited August 2007
    shawn474 wrote: »
    When a guy is caught dogfighting, all of the sudden it is a serious enough offense to warrant immediate reaction.

Just my opinion, but when a guy goes through the premeditation it takes to buy a house, build a wall, build a fighting pit, obtain a breeding license, and setup dog fights over a period of YEARS --- yes, that I think warrants more of an immediate reaction than a first time domestic dispute. I think its probably just a fundamental disagreement over how people value animals versus people. I certainly value human life more than that of a dog, but its takes a really sick individual to spend the time it takes to breed two animals and train the offspring to be vicious, kill the unwanted ones, and fight the "good" ones.

Its not like they busted a dogfight and he just happened to be there. Its looks by all accounts like Vick was the ringleader.
  • Skynut
    Skynut Posts: 2,967
    edited August 2007
    Put him in the ring with other prisoners and let them fight.
    Electrocute the looser or beat them against a wall.
    Skynut
    SOPA® Founder
    The system Almost there
    DVD Onkyo DV-SP802
    Sunfire Theater Grand II
    Sherbourn 7/2100
    Panamax 5510 power conditioner (for electronics)
    2 PSAudio UPC-200 power conditioners (for amps)
    Front L/R RT3000p (Bi-Wired)
    Center CS1000p (Bi-Wired) (under the television)
    Center RT2000p's (Bi-Wired) (on each side of the television)
    Sur FX1000
    SVS ultra plus 2

www.ShadetreesMachineShop.com
    Thanks for looking
  • W WALDECKER
    W WALDECKER Posts: 900
    edited August 2007
    Skynut wrote: »
    Put him in the ring with other prisoners and let them fight.
    Electrocute the looser or beat them against a wall.
    Quid Pro Quo :D
    Rogue Audio stereo 100 tube amplifier - Lector Zoe preamplifier with 6H30 pi's
    .Audience AU24SE speaker and ic cables- Chord Qutest DAC - Black Cat Silverstar II 75ohm digital cable-Tyler Acoustics Linbrook Signature system with large bass cabinets to accommodate 10" Seas magnesium woofers.2xhmpsuownoj.jpg
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited August 2007
    No bones about it...I did not like Michael Vick at Virginia Tech (or his brother) and I have never liked him as a Falcon...either as a person or an athlete. No way I'm cutting him any slack or "holding judgement" (funny...the NAACP didn't come out to publicly ask everyone to hold off judging the Duke Lacross players until after the legal process had run it's course :confused: ). Hang him!
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • shawn474
    edited August 2007
    Agreed with all posts above; I am in no way condoning his behavior or stating anything to say that he should be cut any slack. I hope nobody misunderstood that about what I was trying to say.

Shawn
    Shawn