Mike Vic,class act?

Comments

• Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited November 2006
    univera wrote:
    Come on, Demi, this isn't Morality 101. Just because he flipped the fans off doesn't make him thin skinned or a crybaby. Nor does it make his ego "fragile." Anyone can snap after months and years of being hammered. Find one other example where Vick ever did something like this. I'm a Falcons fan and follow them consistently. I heard Vick and the team get booed in person two weeks ago. I NEVER boo my own team. If they are playing hard and trying, why boo? You think Vick wants to lose? He's likely never lost in his life. Vick, while not the most intelligent sounding guy, has always been respectful. He has been gettting knocked around by fans and the papers for several years. This year is an all time high. The owner, Arthur Blank, said before the past game that all players and coaches were under evaluation. So, the pressure and taunts got to him. Look at the photo. The fans are acting like asses. And, I doubt alcohol had anything to do with them acting that way... Underperformance, no matter how much one makes, doesn't warrant rude jerks. Period. He is part of the problem, but the Falcons are dropping balls left and right. So he lost his cool for one second. Big deal. No one said he was a saint, but this isn't such a big issue. Why wouldn't he try his hardest to win, have fun, and go to a Superbowl? You think he wants to go down as the most overrated player of all time? He could be the Tiger Woods or Jordan of the NFL if he could get his team to win.

You can say that if you flipped off your customers you'd be in a world of trouble, but its apples and oranges. You likely wouldn't have many customers, but its a different world. I doubt your customers are booing you when you can't get something done even if you want to . Hell, the guy only ran for 165 yards and was the second leading rusher in the NFL this week. Guess he deserves to get booed, right? The guy slipped up in the heat of battle (likely after someone said something inappropriate.) When's the last time you had thousands of people booing, shouting and cussing at you? Give me a break. You are assuming he is just another athlete like T.O. yet Vick has absolutely no prior track record of this type of behavior in 5 NFL seasons.

Other than yesterday, when has he lacked in class? Is it because he is black? Is that your issue? I don't like his braids, but I'm not judging him on that.

You say he needs to prove to the fans he cares by his actions. The most debated issue the past several weeks in the NFL is whether Vick is a product of an ineffective system/coaching or is the problem himself. There has never been a player of his skills in the NFL. So how is it that you know what all the pundits don't? You are just an angry man.

So because the fans are asses he has a right without consequence to give it back to them? I don't think he does, and most people who have class can turn the other cheek. He wasn't able to do that.

I also qualified the comment that if I am indeed wrong about him he will show it in the future through his actions over time. Not his words, and not because of his past. Isn't it funny everytime some whacko hacks up a few kids and all of the neighbors go "Oh, he was such a nice man. I really can't believe he was capable of this."

It's the same thing. If he made a mistake that would be clear over time, but he's not looking good so far saying "it wasn't me!" It was you, dude, and you need to shut your trap and play football.

As far as the customer analogies -- they stand. I have taken plenty of heat from people for mistakes others have made. Should I tell them it wasn't my fault, or just own up to it anyhow? I am sure people have taken heat for mistakes I have made. You deal with the unfairness with a level had and you don't act out. The bottom line is I lost a customer, and in this case Atlanta Falcons/Michael Vick lose potential revenue.

If Michael Vick isn't the problem he needs to prove it, or try to improve his team in practice.

I'm sure he's aptly compensated for that thankless job he might have to undertake. It's all part of being a leader. Leaders lead, and everyone else just points fingers.

Not sure why I bothered to respond with a moronic question like "Is it because he is black?" and stating I am "just an angry man." The fact you're using stats to justify his poor behavior is a big part of the problem. :eek:
    There has never been a player of his skills in the NFL.

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!

He's very talented, but you have got to be joking. He should hone in on his people skills a little more, because the Atlanta Falcons lack leadership. Without that all the talent in the world is useless. T.O. is a prime example of that.
  • Demiurge
    edited November 2006
    shack wrote:
    I am not a Vick fan. While I don't agree that he has the best skills ever in the NFL he does have considerable tallent. He has yet to fully utilize that considerable talent and has never proven himself to be a leader IMO. His average QB rating is 75 and has been declining (his best year was his second). I think people basically get tired of all of the hype Vick recieves with very little perfomance results to show for it (other than QB rushing stats).

Hammer meets nail head with this post.

The guy hasn't emerged as the leader he needs to be.
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited November 2006
    I wouldn't worry about any of it. The NFL will take some chump change from his game check and it'll all be good(in the NFL's eyes).

The fans will forgive him, the next time he wins a game and has good stats in that game. They always do.

Not being a Vick fan or hater, I don't seem to remember him ever having behavioral issues before this, so let's just chalk it up to a one-time mistake, until/unless he does something similar. Which I doubt he will.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited November 2006
    Demiurge wrote:
    The fact we have people in this thread saying 'who cares' about classless behavior is exactly why the Michael Vicks of the world exist.

The athletes that are at elite performance status at a young age get coddled and told how great they are from high school all the way to the NFL. It's odd that you usually don't see members of the offensive line acting offensive (no pun intended). It's not a 'star' position like QB, RB, or WR.

This is true in almost every major sport for which their is a national following. Hearing they 'suck' doesn't often come into play until people are spending big bucks to have a quality product on the field. You'd think these athletes would be cured in college -- I mean...I have been to quite a few big college games and it can be downright brutal.

This is all about having class, not whether or not you would or wouldn't do it. Maybe you lack class as well. I can tell you one damn thing -- if I flipped off one of my customers I wouldn't have many once word got around. Who does Michael Vick answer to? He's got the players union crawling up his stink hole to protect him. Oh, the fans are upset and called you names? Effin' deal with it, the rest of us all have to. The fact he makes millions should ease his fragile ego, but unfortunately it's been stroked harder than a perv at a peep show since birth that he doesn't know how to handle a little ribbing.

They have the thinnest skin, and they're crybabies. Maybe Michael Vick made a mistake as we all do. He still is lacking in class thus far. The way he makes up for it is not by talking, but by action, and showing the fans he cares about his performance enough to make a positive difference. Not to point fingers, or...ugh, raise middle fingers.
    the michael vicks of this world? Are you kidding? Like said before, this is the first time that i know of that hes done something like this.

Why dont the offensive line do stuff like this? Well...they do. But youre right, its not a star position. So the media lets it slide. Dont kid yourself like that. If the media showed a linemen doing that people would write it off because no one knows who it is. That statement is just plain stupid and unjustified.

Your customers are very different. To think that its that same situation...again...plain stupid. For one, like I said before, I don't think your job is anywhere near the stress and emotion level as a football game. Not a bit. And to have your own fans, the people that are supposed to be there to support you, boo you, its going to take its effect. Customers are not their to support you and have your back through the good and the bad. No comparison.

I know at my school at least, weve been doing pretty bad for the last few years and just now starting to come around. You know what? Attendance hasnt fallen at all and 90% of the people in the stands stand up the entire game, losing or not. Thats the way its supposed to be. You dont boo your team. Yell at a stupid decision on the coaches part or something like that, but you dont boo your team at the end of a loss. You think theyre going to want to play better after that? Hell no.

You think Vick is losing on purpose? Do you think they lose because of him alone? No. Its a team effort, win or lose.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • Demiurge
    edited November 2006
    You sound like a Michael Vick/Falcons fan that is mad he is getting bashed for being a tool. Get over it. He was wrong. If you can't see the wisdom in having class I am not going to waste my time trying to explain it to you. Pressure? :rolleyes:

I won't name drop, but trust me the pressure you think is there isn't. On a competitive level only, but at the end of the day they're getting a huge paycheck you can't even fathom to play with balls for 60 minutes once a week for a few months, and work out.

'Scuse me if my level of empathy is null for professional athletes in this regard. The fans were wrong, and so was Vick. Too bad he didn't have enough class to not get involved.
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited November 2006
    yea, and thats all they do. Every weekend they fly somewhere and go to a game, then come back home to their families for the rest of the week.:rolleyes:
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • univera
    univera Posts: 848
    edited November 2006
    Again, you are taking an extreme, moral high ground. You act like you are above making any kind of mistake and that everyone should be perfect. You're essentially telling Cody he is a "tool" for having an opinion different than yours. Another classic example of someone putting up their defenses when they don't have a defendable point. Not only do you know Vick, you now know Cody. I really try to not get involved, but I have a hard time with ignorant comments being tossed about. You lash out and decide that we can't see the "wisdom" in having class. Essentially, since we disagree with you about him being a generally classy guy, and because we don't hold this guy up to your level of expected perfection, we are clueless.

I don't think anyone really is saying that Vick was right or that it was the best idea. You are taking them at face value when most of them are making a larger point. No one thinks flipping off your "fans" is a great idea. The guy lost his cool, plain and simple. You are the only one throwing him under the bus and expecting him to be perfect. The guy apologized and said he made a mistake. Does he need to do community service?

I agree he needs to have thick skin, but if people are insulting you, you have a right to react. For all you know, someone shouted the "N" word at him. Should he just sit there and thank them? They've been booing him for quite some time. Just because he got caught up one time doesn't make him classless. You imply that because he makes a lot of money, he is suppossed to be held to some kind of higher standard. You know, the one you suppossedly hold yourself to. B.S. "Fans" can be the most fleeting of supporters...

I'm not saying the pressure is unbearable. I'd love to have that kind of pressure. Just because he's getting millions doesn't mean there isn't pressure. Just because you go home to a mansion and fancy cars doesn't eliminate pressure you feel to meet whatever standards are expected of you. These aren't morality standards we're talking about. We're talking about athletic performance. Stuff that takes practice and relies on other around you to perform. Linemen to block so you have time to throw, etc. Guys F-up. They miss field goals, they throw bad pitches. They lose 10 games in a row. Last time I checked, that had nothing to do with class or lack there of. And, did you miss the lineman who kicked someone in the balls two weeks ago? That was classless, yet the NFL fined both parties because the other guy is a known trouble maker who probably provoked the incident. Things go deeper than they sometimes appear.

In some ways, the public stage amplifies the pressure because the expectations are so high. He is on the highest of public stages. 70,000 thousand people yelling and screaming, hanging on your every move. Not to mention the hundreds of thousands watching on t.v. and analyzing your every move every day of the week.

Vick isn't really blaming others. He just says "Hey, this is me. This is what I do. I'm trying my best." Yea, he called out his receivers, and rightly so. They have dropped a ton of balls this year, and in particular, the past few games. He makes stupid fumbles and owns up to that. He's still human. And, I'm not saying football is the hardest job, but if you think they don't train intensely to stay at a high level, you are mistaken. Most of the top guys bust their asses to get where they are. Hours and hours of practice and training over many years.

I'd love to know the pressure cooker job you hold since you feel your job is on the same level and since you can't see Cody's point that your customers aren't also the fans that are suppossed to be supporting and cheering you on.

I ask if it's a black thing because if it was Tom Brady making a mistake, I don't think you'd be all over him. I don't think you'd imply that Brady or your Wisconsin boy Favre (or whatever white guy with a squeaky clean image) was "playing with balls" for 60 minutes. I think you just don't like seeing black athletes making big money. I think it pissess you off. You have anger about this that goes beyond this incident. That's why I say you are angry. It was pretty obvious to at least a few people. Just my gut feeling. Sorry if that pisses you off. I respect your right to an opinion, but only if it isn't filled with extremes and ultimates and is based in fact.

People like yourself seem to be jealous and angry about the money he makes and all the sudden expect him to be even thicker skinned because he's a millionaire. I'd bet you would trade with them in a minute to have that lifestyle. As long as you still had your class and perfection. I think they all make too much, but I can cut someone some slack and realize they are human, especially when it's an isolated incident. I'm not cutting T.O. any slack because he has proven himself to be classless over the long haul. I'm still waiting to hear of a pattern of "classlessness" that Vick has shown. You seem to feel you have him pegged. If he's "classless," in your opinion, because he hasn't proven he can lead or live up to expectations or refuses to be the scapegoat for a team with many performance problems, we are all classless. I don't think I've self-actualized quite yet...I'm sure you have. If it seems like I'm calling you out, I am.
    UNIVERA
    Historic Charleston SC

2 Channel:
    SDA-SRS's RDO tweets
    Biamped Anthem 2 SE's w/1970's NOS Siemens CCA's
    Anthem Pre 2L w/E.harmonix platinum matched 6H23's
    CDP- NAD C 542

HT setup:
    AVR: NAD T 773
    Rears: Polk LC80i
    DVD: Toshiba 3109 dual tray
    Subs: Velodyne and M&K
    T.V.: Sony KDL-52XBR4 w/Vans Evers Clean Line Jr.
    Conditioner: Panamax M5100EX

Master Bedroom Sony 40KDL-XBR3

"I love it when a plan comes together." Hannibal Smith, The A-Team
  • Demiurge
    edited January 2007
    More of Vick's class and top notch citizenry...
    Vick's water bottle raises suspicion at airport

Associated Press
    Posted: 7 hours ago

ATLANTA (AP) - Michael Vick reluctantly surrendered a water bottle to security at Miami International Airport that contained a residue "closely associated with marijuana," police said Wednesday.

The Atlanta Falcons' quarterback entered a concourse Wednesday morning at the airport with the 20-ounce bottle. He eventually handed it over and boarded his flight to Atlanta. But his initial reluctance to turn over the bottle aroused suspicion among airport security screeners, a police report said.
    The bottle was found to have a hidden compartment that contained "a small amount of dark particulate and a pungent aroma closely associated with marijuana," the report said. The compartment was hidden by the bottle's label so that it appeared to be a full bottle of water when held upright, police said.

No charges have been filed, but police said the bottle would be sent to a lab for analysis.

Vick did not immediately return a phone call early Thursday.

"We plan to look into the matter and discuss it with Michael Vick before having any further comment," Falcons spokesman Reggie Roberts said.

We're probably just jumping to conclusions here without all the facts. ;) Yes, Ron Mexico, the fan flipper, couldn't possibly be on the ganja. What kind of an idiot takes their hash to the airport with them?

Any more idiocy we can get from you on this subject, Univera?

Link
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited January 2007
    Holy Macaroni Demi... you know Uni's been MIA for about a month now. Trying to prod the beast, eh? We all know Sir Ronald Mexico has been spliffin' for years now... recall those pics that keep surfacing of him in the limo?

Class act? nah
    Good sportsman? generally, yes (though he did throw Mora under the bus with his "no comment" stance on the coaching issue)
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • Demiurge
    edited January 2007
    Oh, I just wanted to be told I hate black people some more. Despite the black folks that are part of my family through marriage. Closet racist I am and all. :D
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited January 2007
    You ol' rascal, you:D
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited January 2007
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited January 2007
    Times like this make me think that the Faclons are related to the Clampett Family
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited January 2007
    Jim Mora joined the Seahawks today.
  • tommyboy
    tommyboy Posts: 1,414
    edited January 2007
    Can you believe this ****

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2738494

I can't wait to hear what this "secret compartment" really contained. Looks like the NFL gave a few bucks to the miami police;)
    AVR: H/K AVR240
    Fronts: Monitor 50s
    Center: CSI3
    surrounds: R15s
    Sub:Velodyne DPS10
    Dvd/Cd: Samsung HD upconverter (for now)
    TV: 50" Sammy Plasma
    game hardware: 360 and gcn.
    Gamertag: kovster27
  • Demiurge
    edited January 2007
    Mmm, my foot is tasty this morning. Glad I washed.

So, what was it, and why the secret compartment? :confused:
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited January 2007
    How is the headline of that article at all consistent with the rest of the article?! The article says "it will take a few weeks to determine what was in the 'secret compartment'." The headline? "Vick will be exonerated." WHAT?! He MIGHT be exonerated if the tests come back negative. And even then I don't think he'd be EXONERATED - he still had a water bottle specifically designed with a secret compartment for holding questionable items.

The media is as much of a joke as Vick is.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • Demiurge
    edited January 2007
    I was wondering about that as well, but you know it was probably just crushed up Oreos for his ice cream sundae. Don't be such a playa' hata'.
  • bobman1235
    edited January 2007
    I'm just racist, I guess.
  • Demiurge
    edited July 2007
    Michael Vick, still a class act! :D
  • bobman1235
    edited July 2007
    Seriously, as more and more details of this case come out.... what a disgusting group of "human beings". Not only did they breed dogs just to fight, but when they were done with them, they electrocuted, maimed, and threw the dogs into a mass grave? WTF?

I hope Vick gets booted from the NFL for this.
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited July 2007
    I'm glad you guys beat me to this thread, because I had every intention of reviving it today and eating my fair share of crow. As an Atlanta Falcon fan and former Michael Vick fan, I agree whole-heartedly with Bobman.

Vick goes now. Not tomorrow. Not after due process. Not after the court of public opinion reaches its "verdict". Not after any Sportscenter polls.

RIGHT NOW!!! And not just from the NFL. To the slammer.

Sick **** ****.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,806
    edited July 2007
    Suddenly, the Dallas Cowboys and the drugs problems from the past don't look so bad. Hell, this makes the Vikings look like a frat party that went a tad too far.

Total dirt bag. Wasn't really a fan of his to begin with and was barely impressed with his football playing skills. Now I have no reason have to "respect" him. If he was indicted like the news is saying though, he's going to have trouble getting off of this one. If he goes to jail, his NFL career is over. Even just 1 year will be enough to make him an "old man" in the game. Atlanta will have to build a new offense and he won't have a place there anymore. After all his shenanigans, nobody is going to want him. He's not THAT great of a player so I doubt even Jerry "Satan" Jones himself will even be interested in paying too much for that half-wit.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • bobman1235
    edited July 2007
    Considering Goodell's new "crackdown" on bad behavior in the NFL (see the Bengals, PacMan Jones suspensions), the fact that he's even been indicted should be enough for the league to suspend him for at least a year. If he's actually found guilty, the league would be total hypocrites if they didn't completely ban him.
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited July 2007
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    Considering Goodell's new "crackdown" on bad behavior in the NFL (see the Bengals, PacMan Jones suspensions), the fact that he's even been indicted should be enough for the league to suspend him for at least a year. If he's actually found guilty, the league would be total hypocrites if they didn't completely ban him.

Right now the NFL is backpeddling....

the NFL statement read:

We are disappointed that Michael Vick has put himself in a position where a federal grand jury has returned an indictment against him. We will continue to closely monitor developments in this case, and to cooperate with law enforcement authorities. The activities alleged are cruel, degrading and illegal. Michael Vick's guilt has not yet been proven, and we believe that all concerned should allow the legal process to determine the facts. The matter will be reviewed under the League's Personal Conduct Policy."

It may be tough to suspend the Falcons Franchise player. We will now see if Goodell has the balls to do it.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • jflail2
    jflail2 Posts: 2,868
    edited July 2007
    I for one hope that his prison sentence is lengthy enough that he comes out too old to play again. I thought I heard on the news a max of 5 years, which might be enough to send him out to pasture....but I will be hoping for more.

What a steaming piece of ****........
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited July 2007
    I agree Bob, but unfortunately Goodell's crusade has been founded upon the concept of "repeat offender." Though I would argue that this combined with the water-bottle incident might be enough to eke him into a suspension.
  • polksda
    polksda Posts: 716
    edited July 2007
    From the indictment:

"In or about February 2002, PEACE executed the pit bull that did not perform well in the "testing" session by shooting it with a.22 caliber pistol."

"In or about the summer of 2002, PEACE executed at least one dog that did not perform well in a "testing" session at 1915 Moonlight Road by shooting the animal."

"In or about the summer of 2002, PHILLIPS executed at least one dog that did not perform well in a "testing" session at 1915 Moonlight Road by shooting the animal."

"In or about the summer of 2002, TAYLOR executed at least two dogs that did not perform well in a "testing" session at 1915 Moonlight Road by shooting one dog and electrocuting the other."

"In or about March of 2003, PEACE, after consulting with VICK about the losing female pit bull's condition, executed the losing dog by wetting the dog down with water and electrocuting the animal."

"In or about March of 2003, PEACE executed the losing dog by shooting it with a pistol."

"In or about April 2007, PEACE, PHILLIPS, and VICK executed approximately 8 dogs that did not perform well in "testing" sessions at 1915 Moonlight Road by various methods, including hanging, drowning, and slamming at least one dog's body to the ground."

This isn't a one-time or casual involvement by Vick. These effing **** ought to be castrated and then hung.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,980
    edited July 2007
    It's hard to imagine that one finger started all this, when "the finger" is so common in today's culture.

Class.........well, his is lacking in this photo obviously.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited July 2007
    No.... I think Ron Mexico started all of this.
    Eff it. Vick was my favorite player since Andre Rison. Now I guess I'm a freakin' Joey Harrington or DJ Shockley fan:(