Mike Vic,class act?

keith allen
keith allen Posts: 734
edited August 2007 in The Clubhouse
Vics reaction leaving the field yesterday,he was heckled,he went Kramer on their arse!
Post edited by keith allen on

Comments

• zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited November 2006
    At least spell his name right before passing judgment...:p
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • Refefer
    Refefer Posts: 1,280
    edited November 2006
    He's fine. I hate fans with a passion. We're the cruelest people on earth to our players.

Who hasn't been to a game and heard "I hope your mother dies" lines and equally messed up **** like that?
    Lovin that music year after year.

Main 2 Channel System

Polk SDA-1B,
    Promitheus Audio TVC SE,
    Rotel RB-980BX,
    OPPO DV-970HD,
    Lite Audio DAC AH,
    IXOS XHA305 Interconnects

Computer Rig

Polk SDA CRS+,
    Creek Audio 5350 SE,
    Morrow Audio MA1 Interconnect,
    HRT Music Streamer II
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited November 2006
    Right on... all's well that ends well. If something good can be said about Vick, he always finds a way to shoulder the responsibility. His tendency to "man-up" when times are tough goes a long way in my book.

For this reason, I'll excuse him this trespass.
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited November 2006
    I don't know, if I am making millions of dollars to play a sport I think I can handle everyone's moronic comments about me. It doesn't make them right, but when you flip them off he's just as bad as they are. At the end of the day he can recline to his mansion and being called names should slink away with ease.

Class is a rare attribute for athletes these days.
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited November 2006
    Refefer wrote:
    He's fine. I hate fans with a passion. We're the cruelest people on earth to our players.

Who hasn't been to a game and heard "I hope your mother dies" lines and equally messed up **** like that?

Oh please. These guys get paid SILLY amounts of money to play a GAME. The worst they have to put up with, aside from the toll on their bodies, is drunk fans saying stupid ****. Just like any other type of performance, you learn how to take it like a man, or you get the f&*k out. I'm not gonna feel bad for a guy who makes more than my annual salary PER GAME just cuz someone called him a bad word or BOOED HIM FOR SUCKING.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited November 2006
    What happened to all the talk about how Vick had finally become a complete quarterback and was on his way to great things? Seems like more of the same to me.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited November 2006
    I don't feel bad for him Bob.... I'm just saying this act was rather out of place when viewed against his usual handling of the constant media scrutiny that he endures (and like Demi says, is significantly well-paid to do so).

I've seen him grilled by the media with many an opportunity to throw a boat-load of teammates under the bus and he generally takes all the criticism.

Shack -- you're right on. I'm more than ansy myself to see what Schaub can do.
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,277
    edited November 2006
    Oh who cares. He gave them the finger. It goes with the game. Boo hoo hoo, I'm sure the fans will come back with some sort of lawsuit saying they are emotionally scarred because of said finger gesture. Get over it!

I don't care how much money these guys make, we're all still human. If people shout obscenities to me, they're getting it right back.

John
    No excuses!
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited November 2006
    Strong Bad wrote:
    Oh who cares. He gave them the finger. It goes with the game. Boo hoo hoo, I'm sure the fans will come back with some sort of lawsuit saying they are emotionally scarred because of said finger gesture. Get over it!

I don't care how much money these guys make, we're all still human. If people shout obscenities to me, they're getting it right back.

it goes both ways. The fans are paying you a lot of money to do your job well and bring wins to their franchise. If you don't, they will boo you. On the other hand, you're a person, if you get booed, you're going to react. I can see it from both sides. I don't necessarily hold Vick in much contempt for giving the fans the finger -- I can't say I wouldn't do that same -- but I DO hold people in contempt who insist that the fans are **** for booing him or calling him names ; that comes with the territory. The fans earned the right to boo poor gameplay when they bought their ticket. How Vick wants to react to that is up to him, but he's the one in the public eye, so he's the one that's going to be criticized for it.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • krabby5
    krabby5 Posts: 923
    edited November 2006
    I guarantee I would do the same thing...I don't care how much money I made..I want to win..bottom line..He has got to be VERY frustrated with the way things are going..

Not saying it is right, but....it doesnt matter how much money you make..frustration is frustration..
    Pioneer Elite VSX-53, Polk RT800i fronts, Polk CS400i center, FX500i surround, Velodyne sub
  • cindy100
    cindy100 Posts: 256
    edited November 2006
    "At the end of the day he can recline to his mansion"

And a nice mansion it is... He lives next door to one of my friends and also supposedly purchased a second home there for some of his relatives.
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited November 2006
    So he game them the finger? Who cares. They probably deserved it. Like people have said, hes only human. When you're playing a game that is VERY emotional, you probably don't act in the best judgment right after a loss.

Its not a game to those guys, its their JOB. If they have poor performance, they can get fired, just like any other job. Give the guy some slack, professional football takes a toll on your body more than any other job that I know of.

Give the finger all you want Vick.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited November 2006
    Strong Bad wrote:

John

DING DING DING!!!! winnah!

sure this guy gets paid a ton of dough, but he's human, and can make a mistake, crappy performance aside. he was in a bad mood, and with the shelacking NO gave them, who can blame him. Bad day at the office, and he went a little Batty. whoop di frikkin do!

I'm sure from an image standpoint, the club will break his balls, and rightfully so. like I said, its a mistake and he was wrong. but he's human, and showed some emotion, so be it.
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited November 2006
    I found his gesture no where near as offensive as the Icky Shuffle...
  • FicmanS
    FicmanS Posts: 134
    edited November 2006
    Yeah probably not the best call on his part...lol
    Rockin' In My House :D

Pioneer 50 inch Plasma TV
    Denon AVR-3806
    Denon DVD-1930ci
    Polk Montor 70's
    Polk PSW-12
    Polk CS2
    Polk Monitor 40's

Sirius Satellite Radio, Monster 3500MKII
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited November 2006
    FicmanS wrote:
    Yeah probably not the best call on his part...lol

Icky Woods?

I agree:D
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited November 2006
    The fact we have people in this thread saying 'who cares' about classless behavior is exactly why the Michael Vicks of the world exist.

The athletes that are at elite performance status at a young age get coddled and told how great they are from high school all the way to the NFL. It's odd that you usually don't see members of the offensive line acting offensive (no pun intended). It's not a 'star' position like QB, RB, or WR.

This is true in almost every major sport for which their is a national following. Hearing they 'suck' doesn't often come into play until people are spending big bucks to have a quality product on the field. You'd think these athletes would be cured in college -- I mean...I have been to quite a few big college games and it can be downright brutal.

This is all about having class, not whether or not you would or wouldn't do it. Maybe you lack class as well. I can tell you one damn thing -- if I flipped off one of my customers I wouldn't have many once word got around. Who does Michael Vick answer to? He's got the players union crawling up his stink hole to protect him. Oh, the fans are upset and called you names? Effin' deal with it, the rest of us all have to. The fact he makes millions should ease his fragile ego, but unfortunately it's been stroked harder than a perv at a peep show since birth that he doesn't know how to handle a little ribbing.

They have the thinnest skin, and they're crybabies. Maybe Michael Vick made a mistake as we all do. He still is lacking in class thus far. The way he makes up for it is not by talking, but by action, and showing the fans he cares about his performance enough to make a positive difference. Not to point fingers, or...ugh, raise middle fingers.
  • univera
    univera Posts: 848
    edited November 2006
    Demiurge wrote:
    The fact we have people in this thread saying 'who cares' about classless behavior is exactly why the Michael Vicks of the world exist.

The athletes that are at elite performance status at a young age get coddled and told how great they are from high school all the way to the NFL. It's odd that you usually don't see members of the offensive line acting offensive (no pun intended). It's not a 'star' position like QB, RB, or WR.

This is true in almost every major sport for which their is a national following. Hearing they 'suck' doesn't often come into play until people are spending big bucks to have a quality product on the field. You'd think these athletes would be cured in college -- I mean...I have been to quite a few big college games and it can be downright brutal.

This is all about having class, not whether or not you would or wouldn't do it. Maybe you lack class as well. I can tell you one damn thing -- if I flipped off one of my customers I wouldn't have many once word got around. Who does Michael Vick answer to? He's got the players union crawling up his stink hole to protect him. Oh, the fans are upset and called you names? Effin' deal with it, the rest of us all have to. The fact he makes millions should ease his fragile ego, but unfortunately it's been stroked harder than a perv at a peep show since birth that he doesn't know how to handle a little ribbing.

They have the thinnest skin, and they're crybabies. Maybe Michael Vick made a mistake as we all do. He still is lacking in class thus far. The way he makes up for it is not by talking, but by action, and showing the fans he cares about his performance enough to make a positive different. Not to point fingers, or...ugh, raise middle fingers.

Come on, Demi, this isn't Morality 101. Just because he flipped the fans off doesn't make him thin skinned or a crybaby. Nor does it make his ego "fragile." Anyone can snap after months and years of being hammered. Find one other example where Vick ever did something like this. I'm a Falcons fan and follow them consistently. I heard Vick and the team get booed in person two weeks ago. I NEVER boo my own team. If they are playing hard and trying, why boo? You think Vick wants to lose? He's likely never lost in his life. Vick, while not the most intelligent sounding guy, has always been respectful. He has been gettting knocked around by fans and the papers for several years. This year is an all time high. The owner, Arthur Blank, said before the past game that all players and coaches were under evaluation. So, the pressure and taunts got to him. Look at the photo. The fans are acting like asses. And, I doubt alcohol had anything to do with them acting that way... Underperformance, no matter how much one makes, doesn't warrant rude jerks. Period. He is part of the problem, but the Falcons are dropping balls left and right. So he lost his cool for one second. Big deal. No one said he was a saint, but this isn't such a big issue. Why wouldn't he try his hardest to win, have fun, and go to a Superbowl? You think he wants to go down as the most overrated player of all time? He could be the Tiger Woods or Jordan of the NFL if he could get his team to win.

You can say that if you flipped off your customers you'd be in a world of trouble, but its apples and oranges. You likely wouldn't have many customers, but its a different world. I doubt your customers are booing you when you can't get something done even if you want to . Hell, the guy only ran for 165 yards and was the second leading rusher in the NFL this week. Guess he deserves to get booed, right? The guy slipped up in the heat of battle (likely after someone said something inappropriate.) When's the last time you had thousands of people booing, shouting and cussing at you? Give me a break. You are assuming he is just another athlete like T.O. yet Vick has absolutely no prior track record of this type of behavior in 5 NFL seasons.

Other than yesterday, when has he lacked in class? Is it because he is black? Is that your issue? I don't like his braids, but I'm not judging him on that.

You say he needs to prove to the fans he cares by his actions. The most debated issue the past several weeks in the NFL is whether Vick is a product of an ineffective system/coaching or is the problem himself. There has never been a player of his skills in the NFL. So how is it that you know what all the pundits don't? You are just an angry man.
    UNIVERA
    Historic Charleston SC

2 Channel:
    SDA-SRS's RDO tweets
    Biamped Anthem 2 SE's w/1970's NOS Siemens CCA's
    Anthem Pre 2L w/E.harmonix platinum matched 6H23's
    CDP- NAD C 542

HT setup:
    AVR: NAD T 773
    Rears: Polk LC80i
    DVD: Toshiba 3109 dual tray
    Subs: Velodyne and M&K
    T.V.: Sony KDL-52XBR4 w/Vans Evers Clean Line Jr.
    Conditioner: Panamax M5100EX

Master Bedroom Sony 40KDL-XBR3

"I love it when a plan comes together." Hannibal Smith, The A-Team
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,277
    edited November 2006
    Demi,

I'm holding my middle finger up to you and say..."Get the F*** back to the babe thread and do your designated Polk Forum job! WHISKEY TANGO FOXTROT!!!" :D:D:D
    No excuses!
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited November 2006
    Like I said, this is an anomalie (unless you consider the whole "Ron Mexico" ordeal).

I hate to see Vick hammered by the press because I can think of so many individuals who deserve it far more.
  • univera
    edited November 2006
    And, did I forget to mention my brother-in-law, who was at the game, said fans were throwing crap onto the field after the game. The fans need a wakeup call, not Vick.
    UNIVERA
    Historic Charleston SC

2 Channel:
    SDA-SRS's RDO tweets
    CDP- NAD C 542

HT setup:

• shack
    edited November 2006
    univera wrote:
    There has never been a player of his skills in the NFL.

Being just a little effusive aren't we? :rolleyes:

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited November 2006
    Well if anything, it's good to see Atlanta fans finally passionate about one of their sport's teams.
  • univera
    edited November 2006
    shack wrote:
    Being just a little effusive aren't we? :rolleyes:

Effusive? There hasn't been anyone with his package of running and throwing, even Cunningham wasn't as athletic or fast as Vick. It can't be easy deciding when to have him use either of those skills, handoff to a talented back, or risk throwing to receivers who aren't getting it done. I hate to get fired up in this forum, but some just get on their high horses and take one path without anything to back up their thoughts. They lump one belief about a technology or personal ideaology and run with it without even thinking.

On a side note, your Vols are having a tough time of late. Kentucky nearly beat them and are actually putting together a decent recruiting class. Look for the G-**** to give the East a run for the money next season...
    UNIVERA
    Historic Charleston SC

2 Channel:
    SDA-SRS's RDO tweets
    CDP- NAD C 542

HT setup:

• krabby5
    krabby5 Posts: 923
    edited November 2006
    Demiurge wrote:

They have the thinnest skin, and they're crybabies. Maybe Michael Vick made a mistake as we all do. He still is lacking in class thus far. The way he makes up for it is not by talking, but by action, and showing the fans he cares about his performance enough to make a positive difference. Not to point fingers, or...ugh, raise middle fingers.

We all make mistakes..the difference is his mistakes are shown on ESPN every 10 minutes...

which is part of the territory when you make millions playing pro football
    Pioneer Elite VSX-53, Polk RT800i fronts, Polk CS400i center, FX500i surround, Velodyne sub
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited November 2006
    univera wrote:
    Kentucky nearly beat them and are actually putting together a decent recruiting class. Look for the G-**** to give the East a run for the money next season...

Did you see the game? Kentucky beat them in everything except final score. I'm not a UK fan, but they have made vast improvements this year.

As for Vick... I think that dropped pass by Roddy White pretty much sums up Vick's tenure in Atlanta.
  • univera
    edited November 2006
    Nope, just the updated scores. I was watching USC beat Clemson. Finally.
    UNIVERA
    Historic Charleston SC

2 Channel:
    SDA-SRS's RDO tweets
    CDP- NAD C 542

HT setup:

• zombie boy 2000
    edited November 2006
    Well they handed it to 'em on both sides of the ball.... I've never seen a Wildcat team hit that hard. It was brutal.
  • shack
    edited November 2006
    univera wrote:
    On a side note, your Vols are having a tough time of late. Kentucky nearly beat them and are actually putting together a decent recruiting class. Look for the G-**** to give the East a run for the money next season...

TN had very little depth this year and is worn down. 9-3, 2nd in the SEC East, 17th in the polls, 16th in the BCS (top ranked 3 loss team). We are having a good year recruiting, our O line will be better next year. Returning maybe the best QB in the SEC, a very good running back, we lose some good receivers but we have several good young ones coming back. Defense needs help, but Chavis usually gets it done. We have a good shot at winning the SEC next year. KY and USC will finish next year pretty much where they always do.

• shack
    edited November 2006
    I am not a Vick fan. While I don't agree that he has the best skills ever in the NFL he does have considerable tallent. He has yet to fully utilize that considerable talent and has never proven himself to be a leader IMO. His average QB rating is 75 and has been declining (his best year was his second). I think people basically get tired of all of the hype Vick recieves with very little perfomance results to show for it (other than QB rushing stats).