Aftermarket air intake sys...

Comments

• Serendipity
    Serendipity Posts: 6,975
    edited October 2007
    audiobliss wrote: »
    Yeah. I can definitely relate to that. I'm in exactly the same boat. So, if it's not a lot of dough, do it, man.

Thanks for the heads up. Now I really want to do it.

I found a few online, is this a ripoff?
    http://www.stillen.com/product.asp?id=INJRDINT01&c=PE&year=2000&make=NISSAN&model=MAXIMA
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited October 2007
    Yeah, that's a rip-off. Only thing that's good for is if you're slamming your ride, huge chrome wheels, blacked out tinted windows, a KICKING audio system, tons of sponsors, and go to car shows.

I can definitely agree with wanting to do something to your car, and you should. But don't spend that much dough on something that really just boils down to a fun/educational experience.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • Serendipity
    edited October 2007
    Would the K&N be a better choice?
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• audiobliss
    edited October 2007
    What's the price? As I recall, practically all FIPK's are $200+. On something that's non-performance oriented (i.e., not Camaro/Mustang/Vette, etc), I wouldn't spend more than $50 - $80 on the intake.

I'm trying to think of something else fairly easy to do, that's cheaper, and would have a little more positive results.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • Serendipity
    edited October 2007
    The price isn't listed online. But I would assume it's $200 or so.
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• Serendipity
    edited October 2007
    I'm trying to think of something else fairly easy to do, that's cheaper, and would have a little more positive results.

How about:

Spark plugs? - http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/products/spark_plugs/iridiumix.asp

Synthetic oil? - http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_1_Extended_Performance.aspx

Exhaust? - http://www.greddy.com/products/display/?Category=exhaust&SubCategory=2

Just looking at a few of the mods my friends told me about...
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• audiobliss
    edited October 2007
    Spark plugs. Umm. Change them when they're bad. Sure, some are nicer, some provide more spark, etc. But again, you're driving a Maxima and you're not racing it (I'm assuming). Don't bother.

Synthetic oil. I'm not all up on oil, but I know there are a lot of harsh arguments for and against, kinda like the cable debate. But, changing oil...how exciting is that? It's not. We were talking about having fun here, remember? :p

Exhaust. Ok, that could be a good idea. Still pretty much a waste because I'm sure your stock exhaust gives you all the performance you demand. Would be harder to install than the intake, depending on what you do with it (i.e., headers, just catback, or just mufflers). Probably not a whole lot less expensive than the intake idea.

I know I'm shooting down a lot of ideas here without offering any good alternatives, but I'm not just trying to kill your fun. I just don't want you to dump a lot of money into something that loses its value as soon as you're done turning a wrench on it. If we can think of something that will actually have good results long-term, that'd be awesome.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited October 2007
    I have a leprechaun in my airbox.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Serendipity
    edited October 2007
    Spark plugs. Umm. Change them when they're bad. Sure, some are nicer, some provide more spark, etc. But again, you're driving a Maxima and you're not racing it (I'm assuming). Don't bother.

Synthetic oil. I'm not all up on oil, but I know there are a lot of harsh arguments for and against, kinda like the cable debate. But, changing oil...how exciting is that? It's not. We were talking about having fun here, remember? :p

Exhaust. Ok, that could be a good idea. Still pretty much a waste because I'm sure your stock exhaust gives you all the performance you demand. Would be harder to install than the intake, depending on what you do with it (i.e., headers, just catback, or just mufflers). Probably not a whole lot less expensive than the intake idea.

I know I'm shooting down a lot of ideas here without offering any good alternatives, but I'm not just trying to kill your fun. I just don't want you to dump a lot of money into something that loses its value as soon as you're done turning a wrench on it. If we can think of something that will actually have good results long-term, that'd be awesome.

Thanks for the advice.

As for the spark plugs, they are relatively cheap (under $60) so it's a good learning experience for me.

As for the oil, I don't know much about synthetic oil, but everyone I talked to has something positive to say about it.

Last but not least, an exhaust is expensive ($600 or so) but at least I'll learn something in the process. I just want to do something educational and fun.
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• audiobliss
    edited October 2007
    Well, if price isn't THAT big of a concern, and you want to LEARN about cars (and more than just 'oh, take out these bolts and the header falls off and you can put on a new one'), and you wanna have FUN, then you can do what I ALMOST did a few weeks ago. Buy a car. A car in decent shape, with at least most of the necessary parts for running, and fix it up and have fun running it.

I *almost* bought a 1987 Mustang 5.0 with almost everything included to make it run, but needed assembly. I was PUMPED. The guy only wanted $825 for it. Not THAT much dough, considering, and I could have had it running for no more than ~$1200, and running NICE at the track (which is what I anticipated doing with it) for less than $2000. We just don't have the space around here for something like that.

Now, I know that's more money than you were talking about. But the educational value is MUCH MUCH higher, and you can't even compare the fun factor.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • Serendipity
    edited October 2007
    Well, if price isn't THAT big of a concern, and you want to LEARN about cars (and more than just 'oh, take out these bolts and the header falls off and you can put on a new one'), and you wanna have FUN, then you can do what I ALMOST did a few weeks ago. Buy a car. A car in decent shape, with at least most of the necessary parts for running, and fix it up and have fun running it.

I *almost* bought a 1987 Mustang 5.0 with almost everything included to make it run, but needed assembly. I was PUMPED. The guy only wanted $825 for it. Not THAT much dough, considering, and I could have had it running for no more than ~$1200, and running NICE at the track (which is what I anticipated doing with it) for less than $2000. We just don't have the space around here for something like that.

Now, I know that's more money than you were talking about. But the educational value is MUCH MUCH higher, and you can't even compare the fun factor.

That's way too much money. I'd like to stick with the basics - intake, headers, exhaust, spark plugs, etc. I see that the educational value on rebuilding a car is MUCH higher, but I just don't have the money or time to do that.

You mentioned that the exhaust would be a good idea. What's necessary to do an exhaust upgrade? Is it as simple as removing the stock muffler and pipes and putting the new one on?

Thanks.
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,528
    edited October 2007
    I think the most important thing you can do to a car and is fun (for me) is clean it. And I dont mean spend 30 minutes washing it. I mean 10-15 hours, elbow grease polishing, waxing, etc etc

Nothing can help you know your car better than THAT -

Clean interior, exterior, underbody, motor, etc etc etc - all these things can help you.

Cleaning the engine and underbody is cool because you kind of learn where everything is at - and of course regular maintnence..
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Serendipity
    edited October 2007
    I think the most important thing you can do to a car and is fun (for me) is clean it. And I dont mean spend 30 minutes washing it. I mean 10-15 hours, elbow grease polishing, waxing, etc etc

Nothing can help you know your car better than THAT -

Clean interior, exterior, underbody, motor, etc etc etc - all these things can help you.

Cleaning the engine and underbody is cool because you kind of learn where everything is at - and of course regular maintnence..

haha, I was talking about learning the ins and outs of the car mechanically.
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• audiobliss
    edited October 2007
    It very well can be. You can go all out and replace the headers, but that'll be more involved, and the headers alone will probably cost about $600. Or you can just do a catback exhaust, replacing the pipes and the muffler(s) from the catalytic converter back. That shouldn't be but around $400, I'm guessing. In fact, you could probably do it cheaper.

That might be hard, might be easy. I think the process is pretty straight-forward, but a lot of the pipes may be rusted together and may be a big PAIN to get apart.

Really, I'm just trying to give you as good info as I can 'til Jstas pops in here. :p
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • Serendipity
    edited October 2007
    It very well can be. You can go all out and replace the headers, but that'll be more involved, and the headers alone will probably cost about $600. Or you can just do a catback exhaust, replacing the pipes and the muffler(s) from the catalytic converter back. That shouldn't be but around $400, I'm guessing. In fact, you could probably do it cheaper.

That might be hard, might be easy. I think the process is pretty straight-forward, but a lot of the pipes may be rusted together and may be a big PAIN to get apart.

Really, I'm just trying to give you as good info as I can 'til Jstas pops in here. :p

AB, I'm thinking about just doing a catback exhaust, which (I hope) will cost less than $500. You're scaring me about the "might be hard" part though.

Trey, to me cleaning just doesn't have the same "fun" factor as getting under the hood and installing something, IMO.
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• audiobliss
    edited October 2007
    Yeah, cleaning is different from working on it mechanically. However, I do enjoy cleaning my Jeep, and plan on cleaning the engine bay pretty well pretty soon.

By hard, I just mean it'll probably be hard to get some of the pipes loose from each other. Just physically difficult. And then, of course, you'll have to weld the new pipes on. I don't know if you can weld...I know I can't..
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • Serendipity
    edited October 2007
    Welding is involved? I can't...

That pretty much leaves spark plugs and intake then. Unless there are other things that are relatively inexpensive and easy to install but have a large "fun" factor - maybe I'm missing something.
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• Serendipity
    edited October 2007
    Yeah, cleaning is different from working on it mechanically. However, I do enjoy cleaning my Jeep, and plan on cleaning the engine bay pretty well pretty soon.

I'd rather work on it mechanically. I think cleaning is tedious anyways.
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited October 2007
    When I think about modifying my engine, I think Club Polk.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited October 2007
    dorokusai wrote: »

Just make sure its clean before you modify it. I hear corn starch, cleaner wax (as long as its not a new motor, it might take the finish off), and newspaper does wonders.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • Serendipity
    edited October 2007
    dorokusai wrote: »

eh, I thought you guys would know a bit more than I do about this stuff.
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• Serendipity
    edited October 2007
    Audiobliss, thanks for your advice. So did you come up with anything that isn't too expensive but is a highly fun/educational experience?
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• audiobliss
    edited October 2007
    Hey, no problem at all for the help. I'm just sorry I can't think of anything that would be a good project.

I'm trying to get Jstas' attention on another forum we both frequent, so hopefully he'll have a good idea and post in here.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • Serendipity
    edited October 2007
    Which forum?
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• audiobliss
    edited October 2007
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • Serendipity
    edited October 2007
    Cool site, mostly American cars though.

Now only if there was a site devoted to Nissans...
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• audiobliss
    edited October 2007
    http://www.maxima.org/

google is your friend. ;)
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited October 2007
    UGH!

OK, aftermarket intakes, good, bad...gaudy. The Stillen intake will probably have the most benefit if you want an intake. Going on price alone is just going to give you nothing better than a coffee can with dryer host attached to it. However, an intake tube will do nothing for you except make more noise. You would need an intake kit that actually draws in cold air from outside the car. Not the air inside the engine bay. Given that, 90% of the "Cold air intake kits" are not worth your time.

Your better bet is to just get a K&N air filter. It will do about the same thing as a "CAI", cost half as much and won't void a warranty.

Think of a CAI like this. You have a fuel injection system with a computer that controls everything. You will have, say, a 60mm throttle body that is connected to an aluminum intake. None of that changes easily. If none of that changes, what kind of benefit do you think changing the rubber tube connected to the front of the intake will give you? It's be the difference between a fat kid sucking soda through a straight straw or a bendy straw. No real performance difference. On top of that, just a speaker port, the edges of the throttle body cause turbulence which can artificially reduce the size of the throttle body due to air pressure and cavitation. If you keep the intake tube roughly the same size as the TB, you minimize that cavitation and those high pressure areas. If you stick a pipe on that is larger, you cause all kinds of flow problems. You'll lose low end torque because of it and only see power improvements very high in the RPM range where the engine vacuum is greater than the force of the air pressure in the tube causing the cavitation. Yeah, a CAI doesn't get you much.

Spark plugs, not worth your time unless you are upgrading the ignition system. You can change the heat range but if the car is a 2000-2003 model, it like has OBD-II and changing your plugs to something other than the stock heat range can mess with the computer enough to cause a problem. You can get higher voltage coils but honestly, it's likely distributorless ignition and has coil packs. Replacing those is expensive. It also offers very little benefit because stock systems nowadays are quite capable in the performance department already. About all you really need to do with spark plugs is just check them every few thousand miles and replace them every, say, 30,000 miles. You don't need fancy-pants plugs, those are for serious performance engines. A stock Maxima is not one of those cars, sorry. Standard Autolite Platinums will do you just fine and they won't cost no $60 either.

As far as a cat-back exhaust, a **** cannon from GReddy will not do anything but make noise and kill torque. They aren't worth anything and if you are going to drop $600+ on it, take it to a muffler shop that does custom work and ask them to bend something up for you. They can do a whole new system in whatever diameter you want, keep the cats where they need to be and get you a throaty growl and a real benefit. However, the problem is that federal laws mandate that unless the catalytic converter is damaged or failed, you're not allowed to do anything to it. Hence the prevalence of cat-back exhaust systems. The cat-backs will not do much for you. You might gain 10 horses but you'll lose low-end torque and piss off your neighbors. I would skip that too and just get an after market muffler and take it to a shop and ask them to install it. You'll get the sound without losing too much else.

All those modifications above would end up costing you well over $1,000 easily and net you maybe 20 horses. That sucks. I can take a bone stock 93 Mustang GT, a set of roller rockers for about $400 and pick up 20 horses in an afternoon. If I go and put an exhaust system on it with a set of Flowmasters, I'll pick up an honest 50 horses. I'd still be at less than $800. If I was to spend 1,000-1,500 bucks I could get myself a new cam, heads and roller rockers and have a car making at least 350 horses and running mid-12's on street tires.

You have to go where your benefit is. A Maxima is not a performance car. I mean, yeah, they call it a "4 door sports car" but it's a pipe dream. That's not to say that it doesn't perform well for what it is. I'm just saying that you shouldn't delude yourself into thinking you're gonna be John Force with your Maxima. You can learn all about the car doing regular maintenance, you don't have to hot rod it to learn.

What should you do though? For starters, leave the engine and stuff alone for now. Work on dropping weight in the car. Simple things like different, light wheels with some performance rubber will go a loooooong way. You don't necessarily need performance oriented springs but adjustable or stiffer valves shocks and struts from say Tokico or Koni would be good. Get urethane bushings for the suspension and get stiffer sway bars. You could also get sub-frame connectors. All of that will stiffen up the chassis and help transfer power and weight better. The car will feel like a whole new car and since it will react better to driver input and put power down more efficiently, it'll actually be faster without increasing power. If the car is a manual transmission, change the clutch if you can find an aftermarket clutch for it.

That's what I would do first. If you still wanted more power, go with a nitrous kit. A 50-100 shot would be a world of difference and while you still have to refill the bottle and can't really use it on the street, you'll still have a pretty quick Maxima at the track. The nice thing is, the giggle gas ain't going to kill your economy.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • audiobliss
    edited October 2007
    Ha, that's an awesome idea. I reall don't know much about suspensions and tires and such, so I can't comment much on that department, but that and weight loss would be a great project.

Weight loss would improve acceleration, decceleration, handling, AND fuel economy. The only question is, what could you remove? Sound deadening and such, but if you have an audio systme in there, you'd probably want to keep the sound deadening. Carbon fiber parts certainly would cut down on weight, but I'm not entirely sure that's practical.

Looks like I would focus on cross-members (under the hood and under the chassis?) to stiffen her up, tackier tires for better grip, and lighter wheels for less rotating mass.

Sounds like fun! Then maybe you could buy some higher performance discs and/or brake pads!
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • Serendipity
    edited October 2007
    AB and Jstas, thanks for all your advice.

So a cold air intake doesn't really do anything?

I followed your recommendation and got a K&N air filter, and noticed quite a significant improvement. The car felt more efficient and the gas mileage increased slightly.

Also, as per your suggestion for better tires, we installed performance tires and the handling improved tremendously. It felt like a totally different car after the change of tires.

I'm currently working on the weight reduction - taking out a few unnecessary things made the car quicker and also the fuel economy improved.

One question: what would you suggest removing? Spare tire and jack? Floor mats? Carpeting?

Thanks for all your help!
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1