Road to the BCS

1235»

Comments

• PhantomOG
    PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
    edited December 2006
    If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas.
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited December 2006
    If Louisville hadn't lost to Rutgers, they would have been in the national championship game. That's pretty much consensus. There's a world of difference between Boise State and Louisville. Namely schedule.

Louisville was where Boise State is now about 5 years ago. By having an AD put a plan together to orchestrate a move to the Big East, such a proactive move insured that they were no longer among the Boise States and Utahs of the world.

There really should be no debate of whether or not the Cardinals deserve a BCS berth. So they get their chance. This has been in the making for a long, long time. If Boise State can start scheduling games like we did two years ago against a good Miami team on their turf and come within a dropped pass of winning such a statement game, then they will be on their way. Beating a #3 team like West Virginia on the road will put them even farther along. And before you naysayers chime in, this is the same West Virginia team that beat the SEC champs in last year's BCS bowl game. Hell, start with beating a team like Alabama in bowl game such the Fiesta -- like we did in '91. Steps to be made. Slow and steady win the race. Any team can schedule 12 opponents and win all twelve games. There are always 12 Prairie View A&M's to be had.

There's more to building a stellar program than wins and losses. It's about visibility. And more importantly, it's about respect. Sacramento St doesn't shake the foundations if you catch my drift.
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited December 2006
    BTW -- One of the more civil debates I have been involved in on a message board....
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited December 2006
    Agreed...

I'll drop the whold Cardinal slant. I promise. Just like to add that scheduling a rash of Thursday night games to be featured on ESPN2 over the course of about 5 years was a stroke of genius.
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • PolkWannabie
    PolkWannabie Posts: 2,763
    edited December 2006
    If Louisville hadn't lost to Rutgers, they would have been in the national championship game. That's pretty much consensus. There's a world of difference between Boise State and Louisville. Namely schedule.
    While I don't argue the strength of schedule issue ... You can still only guess how good ( or not so good ) some team that's undefeated is ... Until they lose to someone or make it through a playoff series it's still just a guess ...
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited December 2006
    While I don't argue the strength of schedule issue ... You can still only guess how good ( or not so good ) some team that's undefeated is ... Until they lose to someone or make it through a playoff series it's still just a guess ...

I'm with you to a point. I've watched Boise State play several times this year. They're not that good. I also watched Rutgers play several times before the Louisville game. They were extremely underrated. You get a feel for a team's worth, but you have to watch the games. Unfortunately, quite a few talking heads in the media and more disturbingly, poll voters, don't do this.
  • PolkWannabie
    edited December 2006
    Ok ... So what is required is an EWAG instead of a WAG ... :D ... but in the end it's still a guess ...

Re: Rutgers ...

I remember a couple of weeks ago thinking ... Holy **** ... If USC beats ND ... and then loses to UCLA ... and Rutger's manages to beat WV ( Like other matchups, whoever would have thought Rutgers would have lost the other game ) ... then then then ...
  • Demiurge
    edited December 2006
    Wake Forrest?

EL OH EL...
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited December 2006
    Yeah... that sucks royally. We fight and claw and build for our big chance. And we get an overachieving Wake. More power to 'em, but everybody here would have loved to have squared off against a traditional heavyweight. We're that confident. And we should be.
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited December 2006
    Help me out PWanna....

WAG or EWAG???

I'm stooooooooopid:D
  • PolkWannabie
    edited December 2006
  • Demiurge
    edited December 2006
    Yeah... that sucks royally. We fight and claw and build for our big chance. And we get an overachieving Wake. More power to 'em, but everybody here would have loved to have squared off against a traditional heavyweight. We're that confident. And we should be.

Hey, I didn't know we had a Louisville Cardinal team member on our forum! Awesome!

Just bustin' your balls, Jason. :p

HAHAHA!
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited December 2006
    You didn't know Demi...

I should update my user profile to practice squad punter:D

I got to red-shirt this year because of my chronic chapped ****.
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited January 2007
    So the coach of my favorite college football team leaves to coach my favorite NFL team...

It was a scene straight out of a SNL skit when the news broke last night. I was cussing him and cussing him to my wife when the news reporter mentioned the Falcons. Kinda tilted my head ala the RCA dog and quickly did a 180 on the matter.

That back-stabbing offensive genius of a dirtbag who's going to bring us a Super Bowl?!?:) :(
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited January 2007
    oh well, some things just never change.

RT1
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited January 2007
    ... and the more they change.

Define irony:

NFL team fires coach for expressing desire to coach college team. NFL team hires college coach who previously expressed no desire to coach another team (NFL or college) after signing 10-year contract.

If you can't trust 'em, I suppose you should at least insure that their first backstabbing occurs on the other side of the tracks. Lets it get out of their system.

But as the old saying goes... if you're going to lay down with pigs, you're going to get dirty. I hope Blank knows what he's getting into. We've been marching in the"will he or won't he" parade for four years now. Kind of a relief if you ask me...
  • Demiurge
    edited November 2007
    Just thought some of you may find this interesting, especially after this years whacky results...

playoffs.jpg

Throw out the understandably biased votes for Tebow in Florida, Missouri's Mizzou votes, and the Big 12 states and it's quite clear most sports fans across the globe want an NCAA playoff system.
  • shawn474
    shawn474 Posts: 3,047
    edited November 2007
    A playoff system will NEVER happen. The NCAA will not let it happen. Not in a million years. NEVER, EVER. As much as I would love to see it, there is much too much money to be made in these bowl games. Additionally, the fans may want it, but the big conference schools do not, contrary to popular opinion. The ACC, for example, will have six bowl eligible teams. The money that each team makes for going to the bowl game (which is much less than people think) is split among ALL of the conference schools. That gives schools like Duke a chance to field a team year after year despite not making it to a bowl game for the last two decades. It seems like such an easy fix, but trust me when I tell you, it will never happen.
    Shawn
    AVR: Marantz SR-5011
    Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
    Front: Polk LsiM703
    Rear: LSI fx
    Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
    Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
    DVD Player: Sony PS4
  • Demiurge
    edited November 2007
    We covered this already.... ;)

What's being pointed out is that this is what we, as sports fans, want to see with college football.

It would happen if people stopped watching the bowl games. Unfortunately, people don't have enough self control. That's why it won't happen. Trust me, if the advertisers weren't seeing the viewers they wouldn't shell out the dough for them and the NCAA would be forced to lay out a format people wanted.